ka-Bloom.org Forum

Antarctica or BUST!

Jan

I'm fairly certain that SOS photo was taken by Baz on his previous trip.
Baz Luhrmann went to the Antarctic?!? :huh:

Thanks for the explanation, Aysha! I just wish there was a photo of him when the ice water hit - considering the man walks around in sweaters and neck wraps even in warmer weather. :lol:

If any of you haven't yet seen An Inconvenient Truth, I urge you to do so. It is a filmed version of the lecture series Al Gore conducted, documenting the changes in 'real numbers'. You'll see the relationship of the planet's average temperatures, glacier melt, and the amounts of CO2 in the air over thousands of years (it can be measured through ice core samples taken from glaciers). It is shocking, and frightening, the unprecedented rate of increase in the planet's warming in proportion to the CO2 levels.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If any of you haven't yet seen An Inconvenient Truth, I urge you to do so. It is a filmed version of the lecture series Al Gore conducted, documenting the changes in 'real numbers'. You'll see the relationship of the planet's average temperatures, glacier melt, and the amounts of CO2 in the air over thousands of years (it can be measured through ice core samples taken from glaciers). It is shocking, and frightening, the unprecedented rate of increase in the planet's warming in proportion to the CO2 levels.

I urge people to see it too. It truly is shocking and eye-opening and VERY important. When I learned quite a lot about this while studying environmental science and conservation biology in college, it was before it became a well-known issue. Disturbing how it took this long for it to be brought to the public's attention. And scary how the predictions they had then are proving quite accurate. Actually, in college I learned about many environmental issues, and it all was shocking. I love this planet and the life upon it and that is why these issues are so very important to me.

I'mNotHere, sometimes it all seems so overwhelming that it is hard to feel optimistic, but I like the way Orlando says there is hope, because there are things we can do! I always love his outlook.

..And his bravery (I'd be chicken about the ice part of that ceremony :lol:)

I'mNotHere, sometimes it all seems so everwhelming that it is hard to feel optimistic, but I like the way Orlando says there is hope, because there are things we can do! I always love his outlook.

..And his bravery (I'd be chicken about the ice part of that ceremony :lol:)

Yeah, I usually go out of my way to not be that negative. I don't know what came over me. (PMS, probably.)

Considering some of the old-time Neptune ceremonies I've heard about, ice water down the back wouldn't be that bad.

• 2 months later...

I am not sure that this is the correct thread to put this in, feel free to move it if necessary. Thanks.

From BBC Ceefax News pages today

A High Court judge who ruled on whether climate change film, An Inconvenient Truth, could be shown

in schools said it contains "nine scientific errors".

Mr Justin Burton said the government could still send the film to schools - if accompanied by

guidance giving the other side of the argument.

He was ruling on an attempt by a KENT School Governor to ban the film from Secondary Schools.

The Oscar-winning film was made by former US Vice-President Al Gore.

I was wondering if anyone who had a degree in Science and has watched the film could tell us

what the "nine scientific errors" were?

My copy of the DVD is still caught up in the Postal Strike over here.

Take care

Wendy

x x x x x

I was wondering if anyone who had a degree in Science and has watched the film could tell us

what the "nine scientific errors" were?

The list of the "nine scientific errors" can be found here. The list is at the bottom of the page.

I've seen the film and I must admit I was positively surprised. It is sometimes a bit exaggerate and dramatize but the films like these tend to be. They take what serve one's interests and leave rest out.

Even though I am far from an expert of this field I would say the film is worth watching.

Thanks for the link Sandy. The BBC did not report the whole of the Judges words.

I think I will wait for my copy of the DVD to arrive, if it ever does, and see for myself.

I think you can always intepret things in more ways than one, it just depends on your take

of a situation.

Take care

Wendy

x x x x x

The things we are being asked to do by Al Gore and Global Green etc. are things we should be doing anyway, just to be responsible stewards of our Earth. There is no excuse for the wasteful, greedy, rapacious way we have treated our planet in the arrogant assumption that its resources were infinite, and I don't think anyone can deny that humans are more aware of the consequences of this arrogance than ever before. . . we DO have an effect and there is no excuse for being willfully stupid. ~ Krissy

Krissy, I couldn't have said it better myself. :clap:

:wink2: Serenity