ka-Bloom.org Forum

Antarctica or BUST!

Jan

:hott: It's somehow fitting that on this sweltering day, I surfed the internet for chilly inspiration. Here's a recounting of the voyages of Ice Lady Patagonia in February 2007.

UN VIAJE MEMORABLE EN EL ICE LADY PATAGONIA - FEBR 2007. Not written in English, I can only guess exactly what I'm seeing. There is also a link to a

. Set to music, the video provides a glimpse of the journey and of the conditions that Orlando may have experienced. Is it wishful thinking that the figure in the inflatable raft wearing sunnies and a hat or hood is Orlando (at 2:56 into the video)?!

There are a total of 4 videos found on youtube when you search for Ice Lady Patagonia. No famous movie stars sighted but then again, I need new glasses. :blink:

ETA: Upon further poking around, there is another account with more than one mention of the 2 cousins and BINGO! a photo of Orlando taking part in a ceremony with Sebastian camera in hand. The only ceremony I'm familiar with is presided by King Neptune and takes place the first time a sailor crosses the Equator. This looks similar; perhaps a ceremony to mark crossing the Antarctic Circle or rounding Cape Horn successfully. The accompanying paragraph mentions that they were creating a videoclip for Global Green to be presented during this International Polar Year, and featuring original music by Sting.

Can someone bring the photo over. please? Orlando in orange fleece.

Edited by HeySailor

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jill, great finds. I enjoyed watching the video, and that certainly COULD be Orlando, but the resolution wasn't good enough for me to tell. :find: The photo of the ceremony is priceless. :Cloud9: What a treasure this trip must have been to him. Thank-you so much for finding these.

ETA: I cannot resist Google translations, so here is what I got for the paragraph where his picture is.

Celebrities on board

One of the anecdotal facts of the last expedition of Ice Lady Patagonia is glamour contributed by the presence on board of actor Orlando Bloom, and his cousin, photographer Sebastián Copeland.

During the trip both artists worked together in the accomplishment of a video clip for Global Green on the global heating, the one that original music of Sting will have, and will be presented/displayed during this Polar Year the International.

Parallelly, Copeland comprises of a campaign of alert by the global heating, and will be making photos of the Antártida and the Arctic until next May.

In the photo, Bloom is baptized, a rite that crosses all those that makes resemblance for the first time travels.

Behind, operating a camera, it can be seen Copeland.

The English actor became famous by his paper of Legolas, one of the protagonists of the gentleman of the ring.

But turned fashionable actor in Hollywood, it returned to prevail with Troy and Pirates from the Caribbean.

Unfortunately, the sentence that is the least comprehensible to me is the one describing what is happening, but I'm sure someone who actually speaks Spanish - as opposed to myself, who speaks Google - will give us a better idea of what this says!

Faye's husband is Spanish-speaking, so I'm sure he can do a better-than-Google translation. :wink: He's done it before for us!

Here's the photo.

Antarctica07_Bautizado.jpg

Jill, you can always post a picture as an attachment as many have done in the In Celebration Fan Photos thread.

(Oh, and to be nit-picky - Enero is January; February would be Febrero. See, that High School Spanish wasn't a complete waste!)

I'm grabbing the video, so perhaps we can get a better look.

ETA: The video is of an expedition to Chabut, a province of Argentina, and Tierra del Fuego, which is the southernmost tip of Argentina. Not quite to Antartica.

Edited by Jan

Yeah, CaliDad says it was something like a 'baptism' or initiation of sorts for those on their first voyage (presumably to Antarctica). I remember seeing pictures of my Dad's initiation when he first crossed the Equator as a young sailor in the Navy. You pretty much get the gist of the article in the translator versions that Patty and I'mNotHere posted. Nothing really earth-shaking.

Thanks for grabbing the picture, Jan.

Edited by CaliMom

I know that ceremony pretty well, as my parents experienced it last year.

Out of an old tradition among seamen, you get baptised the day you first cross the polar circle.

They do pretty much the same on many ships with tourists or other visitors.

The guy in costume is king Neptun, reigning over the sea and all it's creatures. He welcomes the new ones and "gets to know them". Depending on how many people there are on the ship, this can be just telling your name, eventually answering one or two questions about yourself or, as I've already heard of, performing a song alone or in a group for Neptun.

Then, when he is content with what you did, he will baptise you (or let his assistants do so - he often appears with a whole bunch of assistants). Baptising meaning here, that he will pour ice-cold water down your back, mixed with ice-cubes.

They normally just take one or two ice cubes for the ladies, which they put into the neck of their clothing, but the men normally are drenched, as they pour the mix down their backs with big ladles.

Afterwards you get a piece of paper, which prooves, you did get beptised.

This tradition is so much fun, that many took over this baptising act and now use it in other spots of the world, sometimes with slightly changed conditions (like drinking a certain amoutn of alcohol, painting your face, kissing something (like a dead fish), and many ideas more).

There is the antarctic-baptising as well as an atlantic-baptising and others.

Hope, I cleared part of it up with that.

Aysha

:2thumbs: Glad I could help you find interesting and relevant material for your students to translate (with a little Science and Geography thrown in for good measure). What a difference 30 years and the internet has made-my high school German teacher gave us the driest, most boring lessons ever!

Thank you Jan for bringing this adorable picture over for us and Aysha for explaining what goes on in the Baptising ceremony! :hug: Pouring ice water down Orlando's back! :cold: Maybe that is why he is standing there like that, he looks like he is freezing, I would be too if that was me! :cold:

Kim

:2thumbs: Glad I could help you find interesting and relevant material for your students to translate (with a little Science and Geography thrown in for good measure). What a difference 30 years and the internet has made-my high school German teacher gave us the driest, most boring lessons ever!

They keep telling us to build crosscurricular lessons so I'm just following orders. :lol:

Besides happy teacher=happy students.

Interesting! And brrr. He does look like he's having fun though.

I was talking to my dad the other day about global warming. He was an atmospheric chemist (he has a PhD) at NOAA for about 35 years before retiring recently. Anyway, I asked him about CO2 and how much human activity is involved in the current warming. I learned about it years ago in college, and it was frightening, but wanted to see what my dad had to say too. He tends to be conservative and practical and not one to just follow trends. He put it quite bluntly - the glaciers are melting, we are clearly having warming, and while that does occur naturally and has in the past, we humans are putting out huge quantities of CO2 into the atmosphere (there are so many of us), and also other greenhouse gases such as methane (e.g. from cattle), and we are cutting down forests that would absorb CO2. So he said it is obvious that it is happening and at a faster rate than it would be if only the natural causes were currently at play.

He did say it is hard to know for absolute certain at what level the planet will be affected. But it will be affected and considering things that are happening, such as all that melting ice - it is a serious concern. Over time, the world (human and natural) could adapt, but this is happening so quickly (geologically speaking - all that carbon tied up for all those millions of years being released in decades with our use of fossil fuels), and things are much different now than in the past - so many people living in cities along the ocean, we are dependent on our vast agricultural areas that will be altered, and much of the world's wildlife is already pushed to the limits, etc. So I'll say it again as I have before, thank you Sebastian for caring so much about our world, and I am so pleased Orlando went with him.

Here's the translation from the site concerning Orlando, however, nothing really new that wasn't guessed already :shiny: :

One of the anecdotal dates of the last expedition of the Ice Lady Patagonia is the glamorous presence onboard of actor Orlando Bloom and his cousin, the photographer Sebastian Copeland. During the trip, said artists worked together to make a video clip for Global Green about global warming and will have original music by Sting and will be presented this year during the Polar International.

Copeland is part of a campaign to warn of global warming, and will be taking photographs of Antarctica and the Arctic this coming May.

In this photo, Bloom is baptized, a rite that is performed by everyone who undergoes a similar voyage for the first time. In the background, operating the camera, you can see Copeland. The English actor became famous for his portrayal of Legolas, a protagonist of Lord of the Rings. But he became a fashionable actor in Hollywood and continued to triumph in Troy and Pirates of the Caribbean.

He did say it is hard to know for absolute certain at what level the planet will be affected. But it will be affected and considering things that are happening, such as all that melting ice - it is a serious concern. Over time, the world (human and natural) could adapt, but this is happening so quickly (geologically speaking - all that carbon tied up for all those millions of years being released in decades with our use of fossil fuels), and things are much different now than in the past - so many people living in cities along the ocean, we are dependent on our vast agricultural areas that will be altered, and much of the world's wildlife is already pushed to the limits, etc. So I'll say it again as I have before, thank you Sebastian for caring so much about our world, and I am so pleased Orlando went with him.

My mum has a friend who's an environmental scientist, and she says pretty much the same thing. And just for fun, apparently if the ice shelves in Antarctica 'fall off' the continent, as they're in danger of doing, the resulting 'splash' would cause huge tsunamis and flooding that would be immediately devastating to any large landmass - like Australia or South America - it its' path. Cheery thought, that.

(I don't know. the Darwinist in me keeps whispering that maybe the planet would be in better shape if the human race killed half of itself off, but I don't think that's a very practical solution. Whether I'm one of the half or not. Especially as we seem intent on taking so many other species with us.)

On a completely frivolous note, I like the Google translation "Global heating" - it sounds almost cozy somehow, doesn't it?