The Journey Is the Destination

http://allafrica.com/stories/200612310132.html

The Nation (Nairobi)

December 30, 2006

Posted to the web December 31, 2006

by John Kiogi

Nairobi

Kenya: Lucrative Season for Local Artistes

Were the movers and shakers in the local entertainment industry to live up to their word in 2007, the menu will be broader, diverse and of a richer tapestry.

<snip>

The local movie industry will not be dormant either, if the promises by the directors is anything to go by. Blue Sky Films is expected to release Africa mon'Amour, a TV series based on life in the African continent that was shot over 15 weeks.

Jenny Pont of Pontact Productions said that they will be hoping to shoot and produce two complete feature films this year. The script of The Journey is the Destination, a movie based on the life of photojournalist Dan Eldon, killed in Somalia in 1993, is ready.

Another production in the works is West With the Night based on a similar-named book by Beryl Markham. It tells the story of Beryl as she flies across the Atlantic from England in 1936. "These movies mean more jobs for local actors and actresses," said Jenny.

<snip>

Very interesting news, Jill. Thanks for bringing it over. Here's the link to Pontact Production's website. I didn't find anything there about TJITD. Bears checking back ever so often, however.

I'm so pleased to hear that the script didn't die, even if Orlando doesn't end up playing Dan. I admit that I've held out hope all this time, for Dan's sake and that of his mom and sister. Good news, indeed. :clap:

This is very good news. :2thumbs: Thank you for bring this over Jill. And I am still holding out hope that Orlando will be involved in this project.

Kim

I too am holding out hope that Orlando will be involved in this project. It really seems like something he'd like to do and I'd love to see him take on another gritty, intense role.

Thanks for the update!

I hope that this gets underway this year with Orlando in the role -- he's not getting any younger :lmao: and if it drags on much longer, he will be too old to play Eldon !

Perhaps waiting for TJITD to get squared away is the reason Orlando hasn't signed on to anything else. I hope so. :2thumbs:

This is very good news. I wonder when they will announce the cast, as I know Orlando has been really interested in the project for some time. I, also, have been wondering if this is the reason he hasn't signed on for anything else, and am really impatient to hear more.

Semmley

This is really interesting news and I can't wait to hear more, assuming Orlando is attached to the project (which is by no means guaranteed). I'm keeping my hopes up.

Thanks for the link, HeySailor.

Thanks for posting this, Jill. I know it's been a long time, but I think it would be wonderful if this could still work out with Orlando playing Dan. I guess time will tell.

Jules

NY Times

I've got this info from a friend of mine. Looks like Daniel Radcliffe is now set to portray the Dan Eldon biopic. :rolleyes:

I don't know how reliable The New York Times is. :hmmm:

Anyhow, I'm a bit saddened by this as I really wanted Orlando for this role and I'm feeling all the good vibes ever since. It's such a beautiful character and not to mention his striking resemblance to Dan, Eldon that is. :teehee:

But as the saying goes.

When a door closes, a window opens. :shiny:

:xmascow:

Thanks for the link, Ryll. The New York Times is a reputable major newspaper. I'm glad the film is finally going to be made. I had thought, as the years passed since it was first mentioned as a possible project Orlando may be interested in, that eventually the part of a 22-year old would become too young a role for him.

Wonderful article, Ryll. Thanks for posting. I'm glad the film is being made. Yes, it does seem that Orlando would be too young to portray Dan Eldon . so another Dan will have that opportunity.

Barbara

Thank you Ryll for the update. In a way I am glad its Daniel Radcliffe, if Orlando couldn't do it than I rather see him get the part than someone else because I know Daniel Radcliffe will do a great job with the part. I also wonder if Orlando had a small part in Daniel getting the role, maybe Orlando recommended him to Kathy Eldon since he was no longer the right age.

Kim

Thanks for the info Rhyll. I'm glad the film is going to be made. While I'm disappointed that Orlando won't be playing the lead, it's clear that he's now too old mature for the part. Looking forward to seeing what Daniel Radcliffe will do with the role.

Aliza

As the years went by and no script emerged, I lost hope that Orlando could play the role.it's good to see it going to another deserving young actor. I'm sure Mr. Radcliffe will do a great job.

:snoopy:

While I'm disappointed that this never came to fruition for Orlando, I couldn't be happier for Kathy and Amy Eldon. They have worked tirelessly and selflessly on this project, and on everything else that could be done to keep the memory of Dan alive, including the many other projects (including the Creative Visions Foundation) about which you can read at Dan Eldon's website. I'm so pleased for them, and hopefully this will be a great role for Daniel Radcliffe. I wish them all every success with the project and it will be in my personal library once it's available.

I cannot deny I am disappointed that Orlando is not going to take this role. I have felt for a long time that it would be perfect for him, while being conscious of the age issue.

Right now, though, I am concerned about Kenya and whether filming will be able to take place over there. I love Nairobi and hope the country manages to find peace soon. It is a wonderful place.

I am too disappointed that Orlando won't be involved, but am glad it is Daniel who will play Dan. I am sure he will do a fantastic job. This is a story that needs to be told. Thank you for the news, Jill.