http://www.moviecitynews.com/columnists/pr./2006_Best.html

This is from the DVD review section of the Movie City News Web site. The reviewer put the KOH DVD in the #1 spot in his "Best of 2006" list. Here's what he had to say about the DVD:

Kingdom of Heaven 4-Disc Director's Cut

(20th Century Fox Home Entertainment)

The longer, 194-minute presentation of Ridley Scott's epic about the Crusades would probably not have won the 2005 Oscar for Best Picture, but it certainly would have been high in the running. The additional 50 minutes of character development (and logistical detail) deepens and enriches the film substantially, supplying psychological and historical understanding to the grand spectacle that the theatrical version conveyed. The DVD package also lives up to the scope of the film, with three commentary tracks and extensive background information on both the creation of the film and its historical context. This is what everyone wants movies to be like, but are rarely willing to take on the risk and effort required, or to have the know-how to see them through.

I have seen so many positive reviews for the Director's Cut of KOH. I find it extremely disappointing that this version wasn't the one released to the cinemas. It seems that all anyone wanted to do was make a quick buck and try for a certain type of blockbuster, so they cut it dramatically.

Now, if they'd just left it as the "long version", they probably would have made more money while it was the cinema, thereby never having to be labelled as a flop, thus avoiding the negative impact it had on everyone involved with the film. The entertainment industry never seems to learn from these mistakes.

As has been said before, most who has seen the extended version totally agree with Mr. Pratt. Hopefully, more people will continue to want to see KOH EV because of reviews like this one. I have no doubt that KOH EV will one day be remembered as the beautiful, moving epic that it is. Thank you for bringing this review to us.

Thank you Lianna for bringing this over. :hug: Well I hope more and more people get to see this wonderful movie the way it was meant to be shown and that some day it will be recognized for the great movie that it is and that Orlando gets the respect and appreciation he deserves for his outstanding performance as Balian. :heart:

Kim

Edited by Kim

Considering that KOH is my favorite film of Orlando's to date, I am glad to see that he and Sir Ridley Scott's work on this project is finally being recognized.

I too am disappointed that the extended version wasn't the one released therefore adding to the probability that the film would've gotten the recognition it deserved. However, I too believe that this film is gaining a following as more positive reviews and word-of-mouth get out there.

I was wowed by this film from the beginning with Orlando's performance as Balian totally winning my heart and adoration.

Thanks for sharing this most positive review!

I'm glad to see more positive recognition for KOH. Thanks for bringing this over, Lianna.

Here are a couple more mentions of the KOH EE from end-of-the-year DVD articles:

From the Greensboro, NC News-Record http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.C0104/612290304

Best do-over: Ridley Scott turned a middling theatrical release into a compelling epic with his engrossing four-disc director's cut of "Kingdom of Heaven" ($35).

From some Canadian newspapers including the London, Ontario Free Press http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Today/Entertai.115561-sun.html

Kingdom Of Heaven: Director's Cut: Ridley Scott overhauled his movie in this surprising four-disc set. And he finally made sense of his epic Crusades saga.

Thank you so much, Lianna. Like Jane, I'm happy to see validation for the film. I'll stop there so as to steer away from beating the proverbial dead horse.

Thanks, Lianna, for bringing this to us. That's high praise, indeed, from the reviewer.

:hug:

Barbara

Thanks Lianna. Like eveyone else has said it's nice to see this movie getting it's deserved, if overdue recognition.

Thank you, Lianna, for sharing this review with us.

Kingdom of Heaven EV is one of my favourite all-time movies and my favourite Orlando movie. Sir Ridley Scott and all the actors worked very hard and did a fantastic job. I am happy it is getting more recognition. Needless to say, Orlando did an outstanding job as Balian.

:hug:

Charlie

From Lianna's posts:

The longer, 194-minute presentation of Ridley Scott's epic about the Crusades would probably not have won the 2005 Oscar for Best Picture, but it certainly would have been high in the running.

Best do-over: Ridley Scott turned a middling theatrical release into a compelling epic with his engrossing four-disc director's cut of "Kingdom of Heaven"

These two quotes reflect my sentiments exactly, and my feeling that KOH EE will be the "go to" movie for many, many years as one of the best references to the Crusades. In due time, it will be recognized as a classic, and it's cast and crew lauded for their fine performances. :clap: