Jump to content
TithenFeredir

Jackson Will Not Direct "The Hobbit"

Recommended Posts

Hoping this is the proper place to post this. If it is true I wonder how it will effect casting, if at all, and I wonder if some eleventh-hour settlement on FOTR might change things. It's hard to imagine the project being done by anyone else. :cry:

http://tulsa.cox.net/cci/entertainmentnews.validatearticle

WELLINGTON, New Zealand -- Peter Jackson says he will not be directing a movie based on J.R.R. Tolkien's novel "The Hobbit" or a planned prequel to "The Lord of the Rings."

In a letter posted on Theonering.com., Jackson and partner Fran Walsh said an executive from New Line Cinema had called to tell them the studio was moving ahead with "The Hobbit" without him.

"Last week, Mark Ordesky called Ken (Kamins, Jackson's manager) and told him that New Line would no longer be requiring our services on `The Hobbit' and the LOTR `prequel,'" the 45-year-old New Zealand director wrote.

"This was a courtesy call to let us know that the studio was now actively looking to hire another filmmaker for both projects," he said.

Robert Pini, a New York-based representative for New Line Cinema, said Tuesday the studio had no comment.

New Line Cinema holds the rights to produce "The Hobbit" and Metro-Goldwyn-Meyer has the rights to distribute it.

Jackson, who shepherded Tolkien's Middle-earth saga to the screen in a series of three films, won a best-director Oscar for 2003's "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King." The trilogy also includes 2002's "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" and 2001's "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring."

A spokesman for Wingnut Films, Jackson's production company in Wellington, who spoke on his standard condition that he not be named, confirmed Tuesday the letter was genuine.

The announcement came amid an ongoing dispute between Wingnut Films and New Line Cinema over the amount Jackson was paid for "The Fellowship of the Ring," including DVD payments.

While Jackson hasn't said how much he believes he was underpaid, The New York Times last year quoted his lawyers as saying it was as much as $100 million. He is suing New Line Cinema over the shortfall.

The Dominion Post newspaper quoted Jackson as saying that because he and Walsh didn't want to discuss upcoming movies "until the lawsuit is resolved, the studio is going to have to hire another director."

"We are very sorry our involvement with `The Hobbit' has ended this way," the pair added.

Plans for Jackson to make a $128 million movie version of the sci-fi video game "Halo" were also scrapped this month after backers 20th Century Fox and Universal Pictures pulled out.

Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" trilogy grossed nearly $3 billion at box offices worldwide.

:paperbag:

___

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well... :( ! That pretty much sums things up. Can I add :angry: ? I am not has excited to see this after hearing of this news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That stinks :rant: . I can't imagine a LOTR film not directed by Peter Jackson. And I worry too about casting changes. The cast of the trilogy was just so wonderful I can't see anyone else in those roles. And if Legolas would show up in "Hobbit", if he was played by anyone but Orlando, I don't think I'd even want to see it .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh no! :angry: Can we write a letter to them to let P.J. direct the Hobbit and the LOTR `prequel? A million letters? SuzieKat, I couldn't agree more. I don't want anyone else to do it. :cry: (Am I taking this a bit too seriously?)

Anyway, thanks TF for letting us know.

Anni

Edit to add: Honestly, I think, if there was enough of us telling them, that WE WILL NOT SEE the films if they're not directed by P.J., they just would have to listen us and let him do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a lot more of this discussion over in the Movies: The Hobbit in 2007? thread. I hope that New Line can get the lawsuit moving forward and settled. I wouldn't want to see The Hobbit if it is done by any other director - not even out of curiosity.

ETA: I see that the Movies thread has been moved. Now The Hobbit has it's own sub-forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After having worked in the business world (and watched 'showbiz' mechanations) for so many years...

I think we should just wait and see how things work out. Can you say "bargaining chip"? :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In line with Jan's post, I'm thinking "never say never." I'm willing to wait and see what transpires.

WW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am leaning toward agreement with Jan and Miss Welsh. The fact of the matter remains the same as it was when the very idea of The Hobbit being made into a film was though of. If Peter Jackson doesn't direct it there is a huge fan base that will protest even before the first scene is shot.

PJ proved his great respect for Tolkien all the LOTR films and part of the success was the respect he consistently showed for the fans of the books and that it was always a factor for him. He knew that if did not please the fans he was doomed. Well, Peter Jackson not being named as director of the Hobbit will do so much harm I don't think the project would be worth doing. So, I hope that this is just preproduction stuff and soon everybody will make nice and get going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I am gutted. :(

I have just read the article on the internet thanks to an alert, and I am fuming. :rant: Okay, so things can change, maybe they are holding PJ to ransom, but if they do not go with the man who immortalised the "unfilmable", then they darned well better have a good excuse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Jan for your comforting words! I really wanna believe that you are right. And it's so true what Twinks said that the whole thing would not be worth doing without P.J.. So, let's not say 'never' never again. :unsure:

Anni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:blink: How could they!

The Hobbit won't be the same without P.J. I really hope they reconsider because without him they have already lost a good number of the LOTR fan base, including me. But like Jan says, I'll wait and see how things play out. It could be that New Line come to their sense soon enough.

Deirdrex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope PJ does it or it won't be the same. :cry: I agree with Jan and WW, we will just have to wait and see.

:heart:

~Kit-Kat~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WHAT?! :O Oh, I'm jumping on that bandwagon and protesting for sure. :bat:

I will keep my fingers crossed though that things work out as they should. :wink:

Luv ya, :heart:

Cherie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest jenny7

I don't think I could imagine "Hobbits" without Peter Jackson. He did such an amazing job with LOTR. No one else ever would be able to compare if New Line was to go with someone besides PJ. With all this controversy, if PJ wasn't the director, I'm pretty sure people would not go see it out of spite. I wouldn't do it out of spite but I wouldn't see it only because how good could it be without PJ? Hopefully things can get straightened out between New Line and Peter Jackson and they can put out another amazing movie together. :2thumbs:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...