Sign in to follow this  
Josy

7 posts in this topic

Mostly about Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe, but there was a small mentionable blurb about KOH.

NEW YORK - Director Ridley Scott knows a thing or two about working with actor Russell Crowe.

"I think we're both pains in the neck. That's probably why we get on," Scott told Time magazine in an interview for editions on newsstands Monday.

"Really, what it is is Russell is very smart and therefore asks all sorts of intelligent questions, so if you're not ready you're going to get caught in the crossfire. So you'd better be ready," Scott said. "I'm used to him now. He's fundamentally a bit of a puppy dog."

Scott and Crowe have worked together on "Gladiator," are working on Scott's new film "A Good Year," and plan to work together on his next, "American Gangster."

When asked if he can tell when an audience will embrace one of his movies or not, such as "Kingdom of Heaven," Scott said: "You can never tell."

"It was a real passion project, and it's the film I'm most proud of," he said. "I think it was treated incredibly unfairly."

Couldn't agree more, Mr. Scott. :)

EDIT: Here's the scan from TIME magazine from Sammie where Ridlely talks a bit more about KOH:

th_89960_time111306ridvu4_122_581lo.jpg

"It was a real passion project, and it's the film I'm most proud of," he said. "I think it was treated incredibly unfairly."

Josy, funny this should come up today. I just watched the director's cut again today and was wishing I could talk with Ridley about it because I wanted to ask him if he had any idea why it didn't do well, if he had had a chance to step back and re-examine it. And here is my answer - he doesn't know why audiences and critics didn't connect with it, but he still thinks it is a good movie. Sounds like he has no regrets, which is what I wanted to know.

Thanks so much for posting this today, Josy, it couldn't be more timely for me.

:hug:

Aliza

Thank you Josy for posting this. :hug: I agree with Ridley Scott it was treated unfairly, the movie and Orlando. It was a great movie and Orlando's performance was one of the best I have ever seen. :wub: It just irritates me when the media keeps putting it down. :bat: Haven't they even bothered to see the Director's Cut? :angry: Well I am hoping one of these days KOH will be recognized for the great movie that it is and Orlando's performance will also be recognized as well. :crusader:

Kim

I agree, it was very nice to hear these words from Ridley. It's so blatantly obvious how unfair of a shake KOH got. It's like the media just wanted to tear it up from the get-go!

What matters in the end is your own reaction and interpretation to a piece, just as Ridley's statement highlights.

I was glad to read this statement from Ridley Scott. From the very beginning both he and Orlando made it clear it was a terrific project and they were both proud of the work they'd done together. I remember reading an interview many months before the movie was released that Ridley Scott thought KOH might be his best work.

Each time I watch that movie I'm in awe of the scope, the reach of the story-telling. Balian is my favorite character that Orlando has played. I am moved each time I watch Orlando's face and see Balian's thoughts and feelings reflected clearly (not "wooden"). It was, in my biased opinion, an Oscar caliber performance by Orlando and Ridley should have at least earned a Best Director nod.

It still pains me to realize that the movie didn't get the recognition it deserved but I am pleased to see that Sir Ridley still holds his head up proudly.

Each time I watch that movie I'm in awe of the scope, the reach of the story-telling. Balian is my favorite character that Orlando has played. I am moved each time I watch Orlando's face and see Balian's thoughts and feelings reflected clearly (not "wooden"). It was, in my biased opinion, an Oscar caliber performance by Orlando and Ridley should have at least earned a Best Director nod.

It still pains me to realize that the movie didn't get the recognition it deserved but I am pleased to see that Sir Ridley still holds his head up proudly.

:2thumbs: I agree with you wholeheartedly desertflorece! Balian is also my favorite Orlando character (so far). I'm glad Ridley keeps plugging this amazing movie. Lets hope others will read this article and be compelled to give KOH another chance. It so deserves it!

KIM

Thank you for sharing this article. I, too, needed to hear Mr. Scott's words.the film he is most proud of. KOH will forever move me. I get goosebumps just writing this. My wish now is that not only will this amazinfg film get the recongnition it deserves one day, but that Mr. Scott will work with Orlando again. Oh, I can't wait!