aliza

One hand waving free

I'm just sitting here and suddenly the words to Mr. Tambourine Man popped into my head and I made the connection. The mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Am I a complete idiot? have we already beaten this to death? I never noticed before that Claire's line "Sadness is easier because it's surrender. I say make time to dance alone with one hand waving free." is practically a direct quote from Mr. Tambourine Man: "Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, Let me forget about today until tomorrow."

Aliza

I never knew that, Aliza! You're certainly not the only one to have not noticed before. Thanks for pointing it out!

I don't know that it's been discussed here before. For once I got the reference right away, but there have been plenty of occasions when I have had a :doh: moment months or years after the fact so don't feel bad.

Isn't it wonderful that we can still be finding new things in Elizabethtown that we missed despite the many MANY times we all have watched it?! I love this movie.

Krissy

PS: I believe Orlando even said in interviews that Cameron was playing Mr Tambourine Man when they filmed this scene, even though they changed the music for the soundtrack. Maybe that's why it stuck in my head.

I didn't notice either aliza! I can't say I know all of the words to Mr. Tambourine Man. A while back I purchased Orlando's playlist off iTunes and Mr. Tambourine Man is one of the songs. I listen to it now and then on the train to and from work, but you can't really hear the words coming through the headphones on a noisy train. :lol: I never made that connection before. Thanks aliza!

Anar

PS: I believe Orlando even said in interviews that Cameron was playing Mr Tambourine Man when they filmed this scene, even though they changed the music for the soundtrack. Maybe that's why it stuck in my head.

Krissy, knowing that (which I do remember too) and knowing Cameron Crowe's encyclopedic knowledge of pop music, I'm positive it's a deliberate reference. I just never made the connection consciously before.

:blackcat:

Aliza

I remember back when they were filming, there was mention (by Orlando, I think) of Cameron playing Mr. Tambourine Man while shooting a scene, but I don't know that any 'specifics' on the scene were given.

Given that a lot of Cameron's inspiration is by way of music, I wouldn't be surprised if Claire's words came from Bob Dylan.

Thanks, aliza, for the reminder. :)

I think I remember him mentioning it played in more that one scene while they were shooting. I know it was playing when they filmed in El Reno for the scene at the Cherokee restaurant. It was cut from the film.