Jules

77 posts in this topic

According to this article, Orlando is in the first episode of the season.

Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant are back with a second series of the BBC Two comedy Extras.

While Gervais and Merchant claim to have enjoyed total creative freedom making hit sitcoms The Office and Extras, they afford nothing like the same luxury to Gervais's character Andy Millman in the second series of Extras.

Andy finds his show unrecognisable from his original idea. The former "background artiste" should be overjoyed to be filming his own sitcom, but is horrified that producers' interference has turned it into a comedy that Hi-De-Hi!'s Paul Shane rejects for being too broad.

Forced to wear "funny" glasses and curly wig for his character, Andy is dismayed to observe the first episode's recording being enjoyed by audience members in It's Chico Time! T-shirts.

"We wanted it to be like a real sitcom that wasn't our taste," explains Gervais. "We wanted it to be a good 'bad sitcom'. We worked so hard on it."

Gervais and Merchant approached the sitcom-within-a-sitcom with the same thoroughness as the film and TV scenes in Extras.

They worked out back stories and discussed who would be making them - a process Merchant admits was "very labour intensive".

Both are quick to point out that they have not shared Andy Millman's experience of seeing his artistic vision compromised.

However Gervais admits it is surprising the BBC were so trusting of the relative newcomers who made The Office.

"It's certainly not based on our experience - we didn't have any interference," says Gervais. "They really let us auteur it."

Merchant adds: "This is the horror version of what could have happened to us."

The first series of Extras managed to overcome the massive level of expectation that followed the phenomenal success of The Office.

The BBC Two series averaged 3.9 million viewers an episode and won the Rose d'Or international award for best sitcom.

Gervais's co-star Ashley Jensen, playing fellow extra Maggie Jacobs, won the best sitcom actress Rose d'Or and two British Comedy Awards.

Celebrity cameos

After stars including Samuel L Jackson, Ben Stiller and Kate Winslet lampooned themselves in the first series, the six new episodes will include appearances by Sir Ian McKellen, David Bowie, Chris Martin of Coldplay and Daniel "Harry Potter" Radcliffe.

But Gervais says his performance of the series "comes from a little, fat scouser called Keith Chegwin".

He adds: "It's not like we are just trying to get points for celebrity chums - there has to be something we can deconstruct."

The first episode of the new series sees a vain Orlando Bloom showing off magazine articles that name him the world's sexiest movie star, and incredulous when Maggie reveals she is not attracted to him.

"He did say when we got him the first draft he loved it and said we can go further if we want," says Gervais.

"They either get it or they don't. If they get it, they trust us and we can go anywhere. It's never happened that someone has said, 'I just can't do this.'"

Drama

Gervais and Merchant admit they would like to produce "something more dramatic" in the future.

The pair admit to being inspired by US dramas such as The Sopranos, 24 and The Shield.

"All the things we like at the moment are coming out of America," says Gervais.

"They are innovative, audacious and done brilliantly and taking on film."

Currently, though, all their energies are focused on finishing editing Extras.

"We get so exhausted at this stage that we say we are never going to do anything else ever again," concedes Merchant.

The second series of Extras starts on BBC Two on Thursday 14 September at 9pm.

Can't wait!!!

Important: there is a small pic. of Orlando accompanying the article; he looks like he's dressed like a lawyer? Whatever he's wearing though, he looks great!

Jules

Definitely dressed as a lawyer. :blink: A bit weird, because he's playing himself, but I am currently envisioning him in a courtroom drama, and that's really working for me, so it's all good.

Thanks for the article, Jules!

Thanks for posting that Jules.

The Sun online has the dreadful punning headline 'Orl in vain for Hollywood Hunk' and a rather nice picture:

Sun.jpg

The 'article' says

ORLANDO Bloom tries in vain to convince Maggie (Ashley Jensen) he’s a great kisser in episode one of Extras.

But Ricky Gervais said the Hollywood actor was “a bit nervous” before filming.

Other star cameos include David Bowie.

Madonna declined because of “a clash of diaries”.

I can't wait either ! And Orlando dressed as a lawyer ! :dbb: Unfortunately, I won't see this episode because I can't take BBC 2 anymore !

Edited by rebecca

Thanks for that picture, Claire. I believe that explains the 'lawyer' photo - that does look like a courtroom.

Oh, and BTW - WOOF! :faint:

Thank you Claire for that great picture of Orlando. :hug: He most definitely is dressed as a lawyer. Now that is one trial I wouldn't mind being on the jury. :shiny:

The only thing I worry about is how people are going to react to it. I just hope they realize he is just acting and he isn't like that at all. :fear: I too didn't like the way they wrote that article up. :bat:

Kim

Thanks, Claire! The idea of Orlando making fun of is obvious (to us, at least) good looks is very funny. I hope we poor unfortunates who don't have HBO will get to see this some time.

Oh good heavens! :faint: I'd be under his spell immediately if he looked at me like that :drool:, or if he looked at me in any way at all, come to think of it. :paperbag:

Thanks, Claire. :hug:

Well I am sure someone here will have mercy on us and grab this. As for the picture. :giveup: That man could sell ice to an eskimo. :wink:

Wow, I'd love to be on the receiving end of one of his smiles like that. Thanks, Claire!

Jules

The Mirror Online has more details of Orlando poking fun at Johnny Depp.

5 September 2006

BLOOM: DEPP'S A FREAK

By Jenny McQuaile

ORLANDO Bloom pokes fun at Pirates of the Caribbean co-star Johnny Depp in the new series of Extras.

In the first episode of Ricky Gervais's award-winning BBC2 comedy he plays a vain actor who can't believe that an extra doesn't fancy him.

Orlando tells the extra, played by TV comedy star Ashley Jensen, 36, the ladies were all over him on the film set, ignoring heart-throb Johnny.

The Brit actor and Lord of the Rings star, 27, joked: "It's my looks that all the girls fawn over. Nobody was bothered about Johnny on set.

"Johnny freak I make art-house movies and have stupid scissors for hands. Willy Wonka? More like Johnny W***er."

Orlando is one of several stars lined up for the second series starting September 14.

Johnny :censor: ! :lmao:

Poor Johnny.I hope he has given his blessing to his co-star for this send-up, or else he will never work with Orlando again!

Poor Johnny.I hope he has given his blessing to his co-star for this send-up, or else he will never work with Orlando again!

I am sure Johnny knows about it. And besides we all know how Orlando really feels about Johnny. Johnny is Orlando's mentor and good friend. And he has always looked up to Johnny even before they did Pirates together. I just hope the media doesn't make a big thing out of this.

Well I can't wait to see this and I hope someone will grab it here on Ka-bloom. :)

Kim

I'm really looking forward to seeing this myself. I'm sure anyone who actually watches the show, realizes what is going on, and for those who don't - well, they just will miss out. I think it's great that Orlando has a sense of humour about this sort of thing and can poke fun at himself (and Johnny!). Remember when Orlando was filming Troy and Brad said all the girls were pushing past him to get to his younger co-star?

I'm sure Johnny will think that this is funny, since he has a sense of humour. Actually Orlando is paying Johnny a huge compliment by acting as if he were jealous of him. The only person Orlando is really sending up is himself, which is typical of him.

Such ironies and subtleties may well go right past journalists on hack rags who miss the point on a daily basis in order to make a story when there is no story to report.

I remeber Hugh Laurie's interview on the DVD of Sense and Sensability, saying that Emma Thompson only wrote the screen play for that film so she could get all the best lines for herself and how she cut every body elses lines back. I just thought that was really funny.

I always worry about Orlando. I do think that a lot of people have already made up their mind about him in a negative way. So I worry that anything like this can be take out of context to have a go at him. I even remember very bad reviews of his performance in Troy that said that he was too convincing as the coward, implying that in some way the negative aspects of the personnality of the character were actually his personality, that he made the character weak rather than that he acted the part of a weak character.

It's not just Orlando I know, we've probably all suffered with this at some time. Some people are determined to pick things up wrong, to see the negative and bad in everything, to misunderstand and misinform. As Kipling put it "the words you've spoken twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools."

Anyway I'll stop now, since no one will still be reading this massive post and I have to get a flight at 6.30 tomorrow.

All I'm saying is that humour is a funny thing.

tatoola

I hope we poor unfortunates who don't have HBO will get to see this some time.

I second that! I won't get to see this for a good long while, I suppose. You guys will have to keep me informed. ;)

He is just too adorable for our own good! Thanks for posting!

Edit: I'm sure most people will realize he's doing a comedy bit for a show and not being serious, although there will be people who take his lines out of context, throw them in the tabloid mixer, and they'll come out as if he really were hitting on an extra and "bashing" Johnny (who, I'm sure, thinks this little bit is pretty funny, himself). Does that mean it's up to us to set them straight? ;)

Thank you jamminn and tatoola. I feel better now after reading your message. I am such a worry wart and I can't help it when it comes to Orlando because I care about him so much. So I am probably worried about nothing. I didn't know that about Brad saying that about Orlando, I wish I did. I just know that Brad had a lot of praise for Orlando and they became good friends. And I bet you anything, Johnny will get a big laugh out of it. They will probably watch it together when it comes on. :)

About that gorgeous picture of Orlando. I just love the way he has his hair there and I can't help but wonder how long it is now, must be longer than it was in DMC by now. :hott:

Well I can't wait to see him in this. Just six days before my birthday! :cheer:

Kim

Just six days before my birthday! :cheer:

And six days after mine Kim !

Gorgeous pic !! And I tell you one thing. acting an extra who's resisting to Orlando's charmes would be simply impossible for me. One smile like that, acted or not, and I'd be on the floor. :giveup:

Thanks for posting the pic Claire, and thanks for the article Jules. Now let's see if I've still got a new tape. If not, it'll be the first item on my shopping list.

Hi all

I have just read my copy of 'Radio Times' and there is a picture of Orlando in cap and gown, Very nice!

Ricky Gervais is talking about the series and it goes on for 3 or 4 pages. He said "Orlando was a very happy and funny guy, although he did admit he was a bit nervous when we started filming. I think it was quite liberating for him to play a part completely opposite to the "sexiest male" image he has, because , although he's often in those Top Ten sexiest actors lists, he really is a serious actor, so I think that must be hard sometimes. We've made the character quite egotistical and vain which is the complete opposite to Orlando in reality."

It also says that 'Maggie' (played by Ashley Jensen) finds out what the "real" Orlando Bloom is like.

Orlando was fantastic. He was very professional, approachable and, believe it or not, very humble.

So although I have not seen the series before I shall definitely be tuning in next week on Thursday.

It also said there will be six collectable covers of Radio Times and one of them has Orlando on it.

I am sorry I cannot post for you as I do not know how to do it but I expect there is someone else in UK who could do it.

Take care.

Snowfairy