Adrianne

The Hobbit in 2007?

Well, that's an interesting development. Let's see, they'll need 12 dwarves, I believe, for starters. I hope they do it. Thanks, Adrianne. Mighty fine tidbit.

:hug:

WW

Orlando as Thranduil, anyone? :lol:
:clap: Oh yes, please. Legolas' hair on Balian's body.

Oh my agged heart! I just broke out in a sweat over the picture that formed in my mind after reading your words. :hott: Yes, Orlando as Thranduil!

If New Line is planning on The Hobbit in 2007 (stated in the article), the production scheduling may get tricky if they want PJ involved. It was announced this week that Peter Jackson and Wingnut Productions has a deal with Universal to produce a remake of The Dam Busters (long-time collaborator Christian Rivers to make his directorial debut) with Weta involvement. Production will begin 'soon.' From Variety:

Universal and StudioCanal have launched development of "Dambusters," a WWII actioner produced by Peter Jackson, Jan Blenkin and Carolynne Cunningham through Jackson's WingNut Films shingle.

Longtime Jackson associate Christian Rivers will make his directing debut.

Project is based on the 1943 Allied air raid on three German dams essential to the Nazi steel industry. The story, based on the book by Paul Brickhill, previously received the bigscreen treatment in 1955 film "The Dam Busters."

Studios are aiming to launch production by next summer, with U hoping for a 2008 release on the pic budgeted at $30 million-$40 million. David Frost and Ken Kamins exec produce.

U will distribute worldwide with the exception of France, which StudioCanal will handle.

Rivers has worked with Jackson for more than 17 years as a storyboard artist, animator, previsual supervisor and second unit director; he was animation director on Jackson's "King Kong."

Producers expect much of the cast to be drawn from the U.K.

Story centers on a group of airmen drawn from across the ranks of the Royal Air Force for a top-secret mission to fly deep into Germany.

"This is one of the most remarkable true stories to come out of WWII," Jackson said. "When Michael Anderson made his thrilling version of this story in 1955, many details of the dams raid were still a closely guarded secret. It has since been declassified by the British government, making the dynamics of the story and the people involved even more intriguing." Jackson said his Weta Digital and Weta Workshop CGI production houses will bring the events to life in what he termed "a very visceral way."

I wish I had a way with images and graphics, but I don't. The press release was accompanied by a photo of Peter and Christian in the cockpit of a Lancaster - and immediately a vision of Orlando at the watch party popped into mind. For those of you who are not familiar with British War films, the Richard Todd/Michael Redgrave/Robert Shaw 1955 Dam Busters has a cult following. Clips have been used in other films, such as Pink Floyd's The Wall, and George Lucas has admitted that much of the attack on the Death Star in SW6 was 'inspired' by The Dam Busters.

Since PJ will not be directing, perhaps he'll be able to continue to push for The Hobbit as he has been for year. Did they ever settle on exactly who owns the film rights?

ETA: I found the cockpit picture over at AICN http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=24356

Thanks for bringing this over, Adrianne. I was just wondering the other day if there was any new news on this. It would be so amazing for PJ to do The Hobbit. (Even more amazing if he could incorporate the LOTR cast into it!) I will definitely have to reread the book, but from what I remember, there are so many beautiful nature scenes and other magical storylines that I know only PJ could do it justice.

Hope to keep hearing more on this!

Orlando as Thranduil, anyone? :lol:
:clap: Oh yes, please. Legolas' hair on Balian's body.

:swoon: That would be the end of me, Jill. Thank you for posting about this, Adrianne.

Thank you for putting that mental image in my head Adrianne! :naughty: It would only make sence for it to be PJ to make this happen.

Oh, please let PJ direct this. I don't think anyone could do the story justice but PJ.

And as for Orlando as Thranduil! That would be so cool! And I think that Orlando would jump at the chance to play an Elf again, he loved those ears! :wub:

Thanks for the information HeySailor and Adrianne.

Guest Gwen

I'm actually more worried than excited. On imdb.com they say that Peter's next project will be "Lovely Bones" (novel by Alice Sebold) and that's in pre-production right now so I don't see how Peter could be directing the Hobbit. Unless they had 2007 as a pre-production date and not exactly a filming date. This is all confusing to me. Maybe they're going to try and plan on getting people signed in 2007 which would also make sense.

Whatever it does mean, I just hope Peter does it. I will be so, so disappointed if he doesn't.

I would certainly like to see Peter Jackson direct this movie, not only because it would just seem so wrong to have anyone else do it, but because of his love of the material. I know he would do it justice. Like Gwen, I'm also wondering if the 2007 date is maybe a date to start pre-production.

And I would love to see Orlando as Thranduil leading the Elves in the 'Battle of Five Armies'! :faint:

I would certainly like to see Peter Jackson direct this movie, not only because it would just seem so wrong to have anyone else do it, but because of his love of the material. I know he would do it justice.

And I would love to see Orlando as Thranduil leading the Elves in the 'Battle of Five Armies'! :faint:

Not to mention he already has all those costumes and weapons for the Battle of Five Armies and might already has some locations in mind. I just hope there have been improvements in prosthetics or he'll have to look for another Gimli, son of Gloin, one who isn't so sensitive to the glue.

I am a strangerto to the Hobbit :paperbag: but it sounds like it would be a great idea. :cheer: Thanks Adrianne.

Luv ya, :heart:

Cherie

Wow, it would be great if this happened. I've always thought Orlando could play Thranduil now as a more mature version of Legolas, albeit with a slightly darker side than Leggy.

It sounds like PJ is going to be busy for a while but maybe we're a couple of years away from filming. I always did wonder what happened to the rights... perhaps we'll find out more in the coming months.

Thanks Adrianne.

Thanks, Adrianne, for posting the link. Sure hope it will come about with PJ directing.

WW

Thanks for link Adrianne, I do hope that these plans come to fruition. :)

As I child I was completely obsessed with The Hobbit (I didn’t get the LOTR bug until I was in my mid teens) and therefore I have much stronger views of how things and characters look. I was completely bowled over by PJ’s vision of Middle Earth, I wonder if I will feel the same when I see The Hobbit on a big screen?

I don't want to let go of the fantasy dream of a more Kingly mature version of Orlando-Legolas but it ain't over until the fat lady sings. All we have now are rumors and wishes. As forune would have it, the same day the story broke in Variety[/] (Sunday), Quint of AICN had a scheduled interview with Peter Jackson. I've met Quint and when he says he's quoting Peter Jackson, I believe him. I apologize for the boldface; I can't turn it off.

What is this about MGM wanting to make THE HOBBIT with Peter Jackson?

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Variety ran a piece today in which MGM's CEO, Harry Sloan, announced his tentpole flicks, one of them being THE HOBBIT with Peter Jackson, Sloan hopes. He also mentioned making a TERMINATOR 4, PINK PANTHER sequel (yech) and a THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR sequel.

As luck would have it, I interviewed Peter Jackson this afternoon. We talked about everything he's involved in and in the next week you'll see the interview go up in pieces, including one about THE HOBBIT. But he did say that he woke up this morning to see that MGM says he's making THE HOBBIT with them, which was strange. He said that as unbelievable as it may be, he's never once talked to any studio, be it New Line or MGM, about doing THE HOBBIT. So, as of today Jackson has not talked to anybody about doing the movie, but he did say he'd like to do it, even though his schedule gets more crowded every passing week. So, if MGM wants to do this thing it might be a good idea to see if Jackson is up for it, no?

As some might know, the rights to THE HOBBIT are kind of jumbled. If I have it right, MGM owns the distribution rights, yet somehow New Line owns the rights to make the film. Meaning New Line could make the movie, but couldn't release it. I'm thinking MGM is trying to partner with New Line in order to do this thing, which would be really cool if I don't say so myself. I'd love to see Smaug realized in the Peter Jackson LOTR universe.

I'm going to be busting my ass transcribing over the next couple of days, so stay tuned for more on the Peter Jackson front, including his exact words and further comments on THE HOBBIT

To be perfectly honest I just want to see 'The Hobbit' get put on the silver screen. I don't really hold out any real hopes of Orlando being called on to play Thranduil. But if the powers that be were smart they'd do everything in their power to try and get Orlando for the part.

To be perfectly honest I just want to see 'The Hobbit' get put on the silver screen. I don't really hold out any real hopes of Orlando being called on to play Thranduil. But if the powers that be were smart they'd do everything in their power to try and get Orlando for the part.
Amen to that. :faint:

But if the powers that be were smart they'd do everything in their power to try and get Orlando for the part.

And PJ to direct. I personally am not interested in seeing it done poorly, it's got to be done well, otherwise why bother?

Just my 2c

Aliza

But if the powers that be were smart they'd do everything in their power to try and get Orlando for the part.
And PJ to direct. I personally am not interested in seeing it done poorly, it's got to be done well, otherwise why bother?
The Hobbit has been done before, and done poorly. I hope 'they' are able to wait for Peter Jackson to be available. PJ has just optioned a fantasy series based on the (so far) 4 book Temeraire series by newbie Naomi Novik. Temeraire is a dragon - great practice for Smaug! This from The Hollywood Reporter today:
Lord of fantasy: Jackson eyeing 'Temeraire'

By Borys Kit

Peter Jackson is eyeing his next fantasy series. The filmmaker has dipped into his discretionary fund to option "Temeraire," a historical fantasy series by first-time novelist Naomi Novik, as he puts the pieces together for his career post-"King Kong."

The "Temeraire" saga reimagines the world of the Napoleonic Wars with the addition of an air force of dragons and valiant aviators. It centers on British naval Capt. Will Laurence, who captures a French ship, where he discovers an unhatched dragon egg in the hold -- a gift from the Emperor of China intended for Napoleon. When the egg hatches, he is forced to give up his naval career to become captain of the dragon he names Temeraire.

" 'Temeraire' is a terrific meld of two genres that I particularly love -- fantasy and historical epic," Jackson said. "I can't wait to see Napoleonic battles fought with a squadron of dragons. That's what I go to the movies for."

Jackson also is looking to take the books into the realm of interactive entertainment.

<snip>

When Jackson read it, he was hooked.

"As I was reading these books, I could see them coming to life in my mind's eye," Jackson said. "These are beautifully written novels, not only fresh, original and fast-paced, but full of wonderful characters with real heart."

<snip>

Jackson has not yet decided whether he will make one movie or three or if the books can be introduced by other media first. He is using his own funds to option material before approaching any studios with his plans.

In that vein, Jackson has optioned Alice Sebold's "The Lovely Bones" and is writing the adaptation with partners Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens on spec with the intent of speaking to distributors after the script is done. He plans to direct the movie in second-half 2007.

<snip>

That's one busy group of people. It's a good thing that he already has a head start on the locations, costumes, prosthetics, and special effects needed to bring The Hobbit to the big screen as he did with LOTR.

I really hope he brings the Hobbit to the big screen. PJ is the only who can do it in my opnion.

:heart:

~Kit-Kat~

Well, if PJ doesn't direct, I'm not going to see it! LOTR set the bar, it's got to be just as good as they were, or it's not going to draw in the crowds. And I think it would be great for Orlando to play Thranduil. I didn't when it was first suggested. I thought, he can't play him, not because he hasn't got the ability, because he so has, but because it wouldn't look right, he would still look like Legolas. But having thought about it, I think it could be really good. Legolas doesn't appear in The Hobbit, so that's fine, and Orlando looks older now anyway. So I say, yea, let's have Orlando play Leggy's Dad. I think Orlando would be up for it too. He loved playing Legolas, ( and he loved those ears too. :wub: ), and getting to play a Tolkien elf was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, let alone playing one twice! No, one would turn that down. But I think that if PJ doesn't direct, any actors who they approach who were in the Trilogy should refuse, until Peter signs on! :wink:

Thanks Adrianne and HeySailor for the link and articles.

The Hobbit is a wonderful tale. If the Studios can get their act together; PJ signs on to direct; McKellen comes in again as Gandalf; Orlando comes in as Thranduil (those Mirkwood Elves gave Bilbo a merry old chase) Rhys-Davies comes in as one of his relatives, it would be like old home week. The costumes are all there. The skill to make a dragon is there. Lots of IF's, BUT, it truly is "not over until the fat lady sings" and, as we have seen, the impossible can happen in Middle-Earth.

It would be nice if it happened.

xx S