Josy

14 posts in this topic

It looks like promotion for Haven is starting to pick up. :cheer:

Bloom Mocks Himself, Depp on 'Extras'

British sitcom pokes fun at actor's popularity

By Hanh Nguyen

August 29 2006

Orlando BloomLOS ANGELES -- You'd think it would be easy to be confident about your appeal if you're Orlando Bloom, but on the upcoming season of Ricky Gervais' "Extras," the long-haired heartthrob from the "Lord of the Rings" and "Pirates of the Caribbean" films shows his insecure side.

"I'm a total bastard [in 'Extras']," says Bloom in an interview to promote his latest film "Haven." "I play a guy who just rips the s**t out of Johnny Depp. I sort of play like a schoolboy bastard version of myself where I'm so jealous of Johnny."

In the critically acclaimed show by the creator of "The Office," Gervais plays struggling background actor Andy Millman, who just wants to land a speaking role that will launch him into stardom, but doesn't have much luck because of his lousy agent Darren Lamb (co-creator Stephen Merchant). Fellow extra Maggie Jacobs (Ashley Jensen) is content with her limited job, since it gives her plenty of time to pursue men on set.

'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest' Showcard

"And this girl Maggie is not interested in me," Bloom adds with a laugh.

"Extras" is known for its send-up of well-known actors playing themselves on the set of fictional movies and TV shoes. Last season, Samuel L. Jackson, Ben Stiller and Kate Winslet were among the big names who were happy to tarnish their image in the name of comedy. This coming season, the proposed A-list guest stars include "X-Men" star Ian McKellen, musician David Bowie and "Harry Potter" actor Daniel Radcliffe, all who encounter Andy's character on his road to success.

"I can't tell you any more than that, but it's funny," says Bloom. "I don't think I'm that funny, but the series is really funny. The rest of it, the way it's developed, it's really great. He's fantastic, Ricky, and Stephen Merchant, they both are. It was fun as all hell."

In real life, Bloom doesn't begrudge his "Pirates of the Caribbean" co-stars their success, even now that both Depp and Keira Knightley have Oscar nominations under their belts. Does Bloom feel the pressure to get a nod for his acting as well?

"No, no, no," he says. "I just enjoy making movies."

"Extras" returns to BBC2 in September, which means its stateside run on HBO shouldn't be far behind.

Source.

Thanks for bringing this over, Josy. I've moved it in to the "other projects" area, because it's really covering Orlando's participation in "Extras". :)

Thank you, Josy. I can't wait to see this here in the States. It sounds great, and that Orlando had a fun time filming it. I'm sure he'll be a riot, even if he doesn't think he's very funny.

Reading this makes me wish we got this show here! I'd love to see Orlando playing a jerky version of himself. :lol: Sounds like an interesting concept for a show, really. :)

Thank you Josy! What a great concept. I hope I get to see this! Hinting hinting.

Aliza

For anyone who has Comcast Digital's HBO package, they've just added the first 6 episodes of the first season/series to the HBO "On Demand" schedule. I sat and watched the first 4 this afternoon and laughed myself silly. It's a funny show if you appreciate Brit humor.

Ditto to that one WW. Thanks for the article, this sounds like a great bit. I'm sure one of our savvy ka-Bloomies will manage to snag it and share it with all of us HBO deprived gals.

Just glad that Orlando can laugh about himself from time to time. It's important to never take yourself too seriously.

Thanks for the link Jill. I can't wait to see this show, Orlando looks so bewildered to be shot down. Great acting chops! :whistle:

Aliza

Thanks for the link Jill. I can't wait to see this show, Orlando looks so bewildered to be shot down. Great acting chops! :whistle:

Aliza

Indeed, I'm guessing that he hasn't been shot down in years. No Method Acting here.

Too funny! :lol: The total confusion on his face: :huh: "Did she actually just say that?"

Actually, the Daniel Radcliffe clip was pretty funny, too. I hope one of our specialty channels will carry this; it looks right up my alley.