ka-Bloom.org Forum

ka-Bloomie Reviews

**SPOILER ALERT** **SPOILER ALERT** **SPOILER ALERT**

Don't read any further if you don't want to know about the end of the movie.

Okay, just watched Haven again last night and I need some help. Here's my question, does Shy die or kill himself at the end? What's getting me stuck is the scene with Kimo and Shy's mom at the end where she appears to be clutching a piece of clothing of Shy's (maybe the jacket he was wearing that night?) and crying unconsolably and the last thing you see is Shy throwing away the gun and sailing off. So, am I grasping at straws here? It's driving me nuts, someone help! Thanks much.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my question, does Shy die or kill himself at the end?

Hey Yoha. What is your feeling?

I just watched the end again.

I think the interpretation is left open to the viewer.

But I personally don't think he kills himself. He throws away the gun. I see this as "finishing a chapter in his life".

He also became "soaked up" and committed a crime.

He was a victim before and in turn this turned him into an offender.

Because of him killing Andrea's brother he made it impossible for them to come together in the end.

Maybe leaving with his boat means that Shy accepts the fact that there will never be a chance for Andrea and him and he bethinks of the one place where he can be happy: on the sea. (Ok, this is a point that supports the suicide interpretation.)

He maybe lost hope and doesn't care about his life anymore, but I don't think that the last scene means he kills himself.

The song also is important I think: "This could be heaven right here on earth".

The movie is just a huge metaphor for life: It won't be the way you wish it to be. Every small incidence can change everything. And as the movie is so drawn from life a suicide would have been too theatrically.

Shakespeare and many others have been this theatrical before.

To me Kimo is just telling Shy's mother about the murder.

My writing is confusing again. I'm sorry.

Summary of my post:

I don't know but I don't think so.

Maybe someone else feels different? Is it just not necessary to show his suicide as it is clear already? :beatsme:

Anna

• 4 weeks later...

So I finally got my DVD from amazon.uk as well and am completely overwhelmed by this movie. I watched it for the second time already, as the accent was sometimes hard to understand for me.

It's such a moving, touching and brutally honest movie about how life can go completely wrong if just one tiny little thing happens differently from the way you intended it to. Like a tiny pebble thrown into water, drawing bigger and bigger circles.

My heart broke during Shy's monologue about love, just before he kills Andrea's brother and then cries out "You didn't scar me, you scarred her." :cry:

Concerning the question whether Shy comitted suicide or not - I personally don't think so.

I share Anna's view that Shy throwing away the gun and going away in his boat is his way of trying and starting a new life. He wants to get rid of anything that could remind him of what he's done, which includes his family and friends.

He had to watch his father being killed. No he has loaded the same guilt and shame and weight on his shoulders and the only way he can deal with it is to break all ties with his former life.

That's how I personally see it :)

• 3 months later...

Ok, later but I finally saw it and I believe that I will see it as many times as I can. First of and no matter how big or small this movie was I really liked it. The story is so real, I've seen so many tragic stories about drog addicts and every thing related with that bussines.it was just shocking to see how such a reallity for many people over here can be pictured so well in someones imagination.

Concerning the question whether Shy comitted suicide or not - I personally don't think so.

I share Anna's view that Shy throwing away the gun and going away in his boat is his way of trying and starting a new life. He wants to get rid of anything that could remind him of what he's done, which includes his family and friends.

He had to watch his father being killed. No he has loaded the same guilt and shame and weight on his shoulders and the only way he can deal with it is to break all ties with his former life.

I agree. Killing Andrea's brother was a 'moment of freedom' for Shy, not the best way of solve his problems but his way of doing it and he had to deal with the consecuences wich were, at that moment, running away. I really love this character, it is amazing to see him as Will Turner or Balian, but Shy has this big emotional story!. He did a great job, you want to love Shy no matter what, just like Andrea does. Beautiful.

Big hug,

Stardust

I don't think Shy committed suicide, I imagine him sailing to the US or another island, being an illegal, living on the edge of society, not able to really connect with people because of the load of guilt he carries. I hope he is strong enough to find something to do that will give him peace, but the tone of the movie doesn't leave room for much hope for redemption or happiness.

Aliza

• 1 year later...

I think I'm the last person to see this movie. :blush:

I finally saw Haven and I wanted to share my thoughts and well this is the perfect place to do it. :)

I watched Haven yesterday and it made me sad. For me it was not an easy movie to watch. I was filled with sadness seeing the things the kids were doing and how things were just going downhill. Especially for Shy and Andrea. To see the state in which Andrea got to it was very heartbreaking and so was seeing Shy in pain. That being said I think Orlando did a fantastic job. He was so real, so easy. He was Shy and he was beautiful. It was a good movie since it left me feeling sad and wanting to know more about these people - the movie affected me so it did its job. I'm glad I saw it and am planning on watching it again to better understand each character.

I also don't think Shy committed suicide or died. To me when he dropped the gun I felt it meant he was letting go of things, of his past and going forward.

I think I'm the last person to see this movie. :blush:

I finally saw Haven and I wanted to share my thoughts and well this is the perfect place to do it. :)

I watched Haven yesterday and it made me sad. For me it was not an easy movie to watch. I was filled with sadness seeing the things the kids were doing and how things were just going downhill. Especially for Shy and Andrea. To see the state in which Andrea got to it was very heartbreaking and so was seeing Shy in pain. That being said I think Orlando did a fantastic job. He was so real, so easy. He was Shy and he was beautiful. It was a good movie since it left me feeling sad and wanting to know more about these people - the movie affected me so it did its job. I'm glad I saw it and am planning on watching it again to better understand each character.

I also don't think Shy committed suicide or died. To me when he dropped the gun I felt it meant he was letting go of things, of his past and going forward.

I've owned the DVD for more than a year but this isn't a movie I can watch over and over again.

The pain Andrea and Shy are going through is so intense. And both of these talented actors have such wonderfully expressive faces and their eyes in particular really show their love for each other and the pain they are experiencing.

I felt the ending was positive, too. They left it open-ended, but my feeling is that Shy was letting go of his painful past and moving on.

I rented this when it first became available. I was taken by the growth and depth of Orlando's seemingly simple character. About the end, no I don't beleive he comitted suicide, I think he threw the gun away to close that chapter. I got the impression his killing Andrea's brother was something touched a place so deep inside him, it repulsed and stunned him. But he did realize that life is not simple. I guess I am the master of the obvious, anyone

Now I need to see it again. I really liked this movie and wish it had had more exposure.

glenna