Sign in to follow this  
Kira

7 posts in this topic

Linked from The Irish Examiner:

28/05/2006 - 10:19:01 AM

Saving Private Ryan 'best battle scenes'

The opening minutes of Saving Private Ryan have been voted the best movie battle scenes of all time.

Stephen Spielberg’s harrowing depiction of the D-Day landings at Omaha Beach topped a list compiled by Empire magazine.

The 23-minute opening sequence shocked critics and moviegoers with its brutality.

“A mighty battle, oft imitated, never bettered,” said Empire.

“Long battle sequences can be repetitive, but these 23 minutes provide jolt after jolt, leaving the viewer with an aural as well as a visual sense of shellshock.”

The battle of Gaugamela in Alexander, the Oliver Stone film starring Colin Farrell, came second, even though the movie itself was panned by critics.

Third was the Battle of Rorke’s Drift in Zulu, with Michael Caine and his band of British soldiers taking on thousands of Zulu warriors.

The second film in the Lord of the Rings trilogy was fourth for its climactic showdown at Helm’s Deep.

Other battle scenes to make the top 10 included Luke Skywalker taking on the Imperial AT-ATs in The Empire Strikes Back, the siege of Jerusalem in Orlando Bloom epic Kingdom of Heaven and the massacre outside Damascus in Lawrence of Arabia.

Empire Top 10

1 Saving Private Ryan (Omaha Beach)

2 Alexander (Gaugamela)

3 Zulu (Rorke’s Drift)

4 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Helm’s Deep)

5 Kingdom of Heaven (Siege of Jerusalem)

6 Alexander Nevsky (Chudskoye Lake)

7 All Quiet On The Western Front (The French Front)

8 Brotherhood (invasion of South Korea)

9 The Empire Strikes Back (assault on Hoth)

10 Lawrence of Arabia (massacre outside Damascus)

Wow, it is good to know critics think highly of KOH's battle scenes. :2thumbs: Thank you for posting about it, Kira.

Thanks for posting, Kira. Wow! Helm's Deep and KOH are right up there.

:cheer:

WW

I think if they had a category "Best Battle Scene that you would ever voluntarily watch again" they would be 1 and 2, instead of 4 and 5.

Thanks for posting Kira!

Thanks for the info, Kira. In the extras on disc 4, Ridley Scott references LOTR, I think he said that he used software developed for LOTR.

Aliza

How cool to see all the work that went into the siege recognized!

Thanks, Kira.

Thanks for posting Kira! I'd have to agree that both Helm's Deep and the Siege of Jerusalem are excellent battle scenes! :2thumbs: And as a SW fan I have to give a shout out to number 9 too! :clap: