Sign in to follow this  
Guest Niamh

Article on Bronwen Hughes

Guest Niamh

The pertinent part of this was posted on OBM and I so hope it's true! Here's the article and you'll need to scroll about 2/3's of the way down. His name is bolded.

Guest Serein

Wow, thank for posting the link, Niahm. That's very interesting that it sounds so definitive. I haven't heard anywhere else that Orlando was going to do this project but it is entirely possible. He IS done with Troy. Although I thought he would be taking a break after the non-stop filming schedule he has had.

Guest legomylegolas

Ok.it's late and I'm dead tired so I have to ask someone.this Dan Eldon role is the role he has mentioned before he wanted right? If it is, I'm really excited for him! I'm excited for him anyway but it would be really neat if he got a role he has always wanted.

Thank you for posting that Niamh. :huh:

Wow! I hope Orlando really is doing this project. I think he'd be perfect. A role worthy of Orlando'stalents

I got the book almost by accident. Its the most haunting beautiful book I ever read. His (Dan's) collages evoke such grief and beauty.

Thanks for the heads up, Niamh.

Guest claddagh

I hope this is as certain as Bronwen sounds knowing how much Orlando wants to make it ~ could be that she wants to direct this project and is seeking finance ~ hope it's a 'goer' either way.

Hope this is a definite. In what I've read he's really wanted to do it. What's the book on Dan, I'd love to read it.I also heard that POTC 2 starts filming near year as well.

Guest Elf Lady

I certainly hope this is true. It would be a fine role for Orlando and like lego, I seem to recall that he really wanted to do this movie.

Guest Serein

I knew he wanted to do it, I just didn't know the casting was finalized. I hope it really is true because he would be amazing in this role.

Guest Elements

This was the first film I ever heard Orlando talk about wanting to 'get made'. I certainly hope that he is a part of it but that the schedule allows him a little time to himself first.

Hope this is a definite.  In what I've read he's really wanted to do it.  What's the book on Dan, I'd love to read it.

*Spoilers about the book *

Just in case you don't want to know what the book is about.

After Dan's death, his mother put together the book featuring her son's collages and memories. There are his comments running through out the book on the collages that he put together as a photo-journalist. He had an incredible zest for life and amazing insight that came across in his artwork and journals. He loved women, loved life and was somewhat of a daredevil.

He was deeply touched by many that he lived amongst, photographed and tried to help.

He was only 22 when he and some fellow journalists were stoned to death by an angry mob in Somalia.

I can certainly see why Orlando was so touched by his story and wants to do the role.

Guest Fionn

Yes indeed, Orlando would be so perfect in this role.It will not be happening until next year so he can still have his much needed rest. Orlando sounds rather similar to Dan regarding his love of life and women and being a daredevil, an amazing zest for life, uncanny really. Orlando has said in several interviews that he really wanted to do this project and now it seems to be more and more likely. I read about his life on the Dan Eldon website. He packed an aweful lot of meaningful living into his short life ( he died at just 22 ).Such a sad waste of a good, young life.This movie could well be a defining point in Orlando's career. I really, really hope this goes ahead. It is a story worth telling.

I just did some research on the Net about Dan Eldon. I think the role would be perfect for Orlando. I believe he'd like to get out of "costume dramas" for a while!! Hope he does have some time for himself in between projects

Guest Aroreiel

Woah! If this is his dream role then I really do hope Orlando takes this on. It is such a raw and evoking story to tell.and it should be told. I went onto the Dan Eldon website and looked through the pages of his biography and trips, the photographs and journal images that he created. I never even knew who he was until I stumbled across his site, and I'm glad I know now. Dan has such an appetite for life and imagination. A real explorer. He has his eyes open to the parts of the world that most people didn't even notice. It's such a terrible thing that happened to him.and he was only my age too. I can understand why Orlando would want to do this. I really want to read the book now.

In many ways, his adventures make me want to travel the world and explore even more.

If any movie was gonna showcase Orlando's acting chops it would be this. It's something real. This is something that is deep. It would prove to the critics that Orlando is more than just a beautiful face. But I also hope that Orlando takes a well earned break too.

When we first heard that Orlando was desperately wanting to do this film (this was some time ago), I read up on Dan Eldon, went to a slew of websites, and learned what a "wild child" … and an amazing young man he was. A friend of mine in England knew him slightly and has called him a "bright white soul". That seems so appropriate, for he must have truly been a light on the face of the planet, moving easily as he did among such a variety of places and peoples. I think Orlando has some of that brightness of spirit in him as well, and I thought his wanting so much to tell Dan's story on film was an indication of that very thing. If I recall correctly, from things I read last spring, Dan's mother was eager to have OB do the role in the film (I'm thinking they may even have met with him, according to what I read) and they were hoping it would come to fruition. Looks now as though it will and I am thrilled by that for several reasons. I know the story will be hard to deal with … endings like that one seem so unjust and of course are terribly difficult to bear in the telling. I just have to focus on the good that someone like Dan brought to the planet while we were fortunate enough to have him with us and to be thankful that souls like his do exist among us to give us hope and demonstrate courage and love.

A good place to start if anyone's interested in more information is Dan Eldon.org and the book, The Journey is the Destination is available, with more information, at Chronicle … here.

"I think one of the most important things Dan would have said to kids all over the world . (is) you may only dance for a short time," Kathy Eldon told CNN. "His dance has been very short indeed. But he would've said, 'You choose your dance, you choose your music for your dance. You dance proudly. You dance with incredible spirit and vigor and creativity and life and joy, and especially you go out and dance with love."

Read the whole biographical article here, at CNN.com

Peace,

Nin

I can't believe it's taken me this long to get over to respond to this thread. I think I've posted here before about my conversation with Kathy Eldon (via Email this past spring) concerning Orlando's attachment to the film that is to tell Dan's story. She said to me personally that "Orlando is unofficially attatched" to the project. She also described him as "utterly wonderful". :devil:

So chances are, if this film is made, Orlando will be in it. I can't imagine anyone else who is more suited for the role. I own and love this wonderful book that showcases Dan's journals...he was an amazing person.

Edit: I just realized my six degrees of separation!! Only its just two degrees! :binky:

Guest Niamh
A friend of mine in England knew him slightly and has called him a "bright white soul". That seems so appropriate, for he must have truly been a light on the face of the planet, moving easily as he did among such a variety of places and peoples. I think Orlando has some of that brightness of spirit in him as well, and I thought his wanting so much to tell Dan's story on film was an indication of that very thing.

Yes! This is such a wonderful way of expressing how I've felt about Orlando and Dan from the first time I heard about this wonderful project. I hope, with all my heart, this gets made and I wonder if there's anything we can do as a group to encourage the powers that be to finance it? Surely we can have some say but I don't know the how.

HR, that's so incredible that you've talked to her! She sounds like an incredible person herself. I must read that book.

In that The Toronto Star article (from Sept. 27/03), they've specifically stated that Bronwen Hughes is signed to direct "The Journey is the Destination", "starring red-hot Orlando Bloom in the role of the young Reuters photog/artist". She (Hughes) had already scouted locations in Kenya, but there was no word as to a start date. At the time of the interview her current film "Stander" had just been released at the Toronto International Film Festival, and "The Journey." was mentioned as "her next project."

So what's Orlando's next project? Troy should go into post-production soon, if not already, if it's going to hit theatres in May.

So here's hoping! I really do think Orlando's time is now - if he departs from the aforementioned "costume dramas" and portrays something real and visceral, there'll be a lot of people sitting up and taking notice. (Read: Academy voting members - they love true stories and this one deserves to be told. And soon.) Bronwen is a gifted director and I don't think Orlando could go wrong. Or the project, for that matter, in casting him.

And then, the man can take a break for once. Reconnect with the family and friends. Goodness knows he hasn't stopped since graduation. He needs some balance. :lol:

Guest shaynalisa

I have never heard of this man, so I went out and checked up on him. What an incredible person he was! What a noble and good person, only to end up taken by what he lived for.

In looking at his photographs and reading about him, I can't think of anyone else who would be better suited to play Dan other than Orlando. What a great movie that would be! I surely hope it gets off the ground.

Thanks for opening my eyes to this project.

Lisa :kablaam:

Guest Luvsong

Without knowing a lot about Dan Eldon, aside from what was mentioned here in this thread, I have to say this is the perfect opportunity for Orlando to spread those wings even more. He has the potential to really blow this out of the water and I'll keep my fingers crossed that this role happens for him.

Guest Marny
I own and love this wonderful book that showcases Dan's journals.he was an amazing person.

I second that!!

I finally got the book yesterday and have to say it is amazing. I started reading the intro written by his mother and got all :shiny: .

There's so much stuff in this book, photos, collages (?), notes - it will take some time read/look at it and really understand it all.

Other than daneldon.org, here's another site with pictures from the book: The Journy Is The Destination

Love, Marny

Guest dove

Thanks for the link Marny -- I have visited the site for Dan many times but I hadn't seen those beautiful collages before. I have the book on order and I desperately hope that Orlando can get this film made, he will do justice to such an amazing story.

I was on a hold list and finally got Eldon's "The Journey is the Destination" from the library just after New Year's and again, what an amazing young man! I'm now reading Jennifer New's biography / collage book and am convinced that regardless of the actor offered the role, the story needs to be told to the world. Absolutely awe-inspiring.

But of course I think Orlando would be perfect. :hug:

Guest unplugged32

Recently, I used the amazon.com gift certificates meant for my daughters to buy 'Dan Eldon: The art of life'. My girls got their Nemo dvd from a local shop instead, and I was rewarded by the most beautiful and heartwrenching story I've ever read. I won't go into details about the book since it's probably been discussed here already except to say it is one of those books that I know I will read over and over again and never grow tired of.

I must admit that I did not know who Dan Eldon was until I read a while back that Orlando Bloom was interested in playing the part of the young photographer in the film adaptation of his biography. But after a few visits to the website his family has created in his memory, I became so intrigued by his life and inspired by his passion I had to know more. The website became a favorite hang-out of mine while I read all I could about this wonderful human being. Dan's life inspired me to share his story with everyone and anyone who would listen, and I've even given each of my girls a journal as a way to express themselves. Both girls were very receptive to the idea and the results have been very fulfilling.

I am very excited that Orlando has taken an interest in Dan, his life, and the film because I agree with everyone else who has said that he would be perfect for the role. I honestly can't think of another young actor who could play this part and do justice to Dan's memory. Orlando is gifted with all the qualities needed to take on such a challenging role and I sincerely hope that this project will finally come together in a manner that will be satisfactory to the Eldon family, the producers and Orlando himself.

Has anyone heard any update on the possible making of "Journey is the Destination - The Dan Eldon Story" ? I agree it would be a wonderful story for Orlando to participate in, but there hasn't been any news lately about the project that I have seen.

:huh: