So I have good news and bad. The good news is that I have recived my KIngdom of Heaven Director's Cut DVD. :cheer:

The bad news is that I cannot get it to play. :rant::waaah:

Apparently my so-called Multi Region DVD player well.isn't. A friend told me that as my player was a cheapie, it needs "chipped" to play Region 1 DVDs. Anyone know what that means and how to do it? Because I am stumped. And very frustrated. And feeling stoopid. :paperbag:

Oh how awful! :hug: I can imagine you're about ready to pull your hair out right now. I don't know how to help you with your DVD player, but can you play it on your computer until you get it figured out?

Thanks for the sympathy Les. No, I can't play it on my computer as my d:/ drive is buggered. I even tried playing it on the Playstation console. No luck. I feel such a twit.

I found out that I need the instruction booklet to set my player to play Region 1 DVDs. Of course that got lost by the wayside when we moved house last September. :rolleyes:

There's nothing for it but go out and buy another dvd player.

I hope Orlando appreciates the money this wonderful movie is costing me. :lol: But one thing is for sure.I know it is going to be worth it.

How awful, Lenalove. :cry: It is my understanding that every DVD player is eqipped with a chip, just like computers have memory chips. That chip is what enables the DVD player to "decode," meaning play the content the of the DVD. Each region as different "code," so when a DVD from different Region is played, the DVD player can not decode the contents of the DVD, causing it to just produce noises and screens. In some countries, there are black markets where you can go and have the necessary chip installed for a good price, but usually, the chip costs thousands, from what I heard. I don't know what can be done for you to be able to see the DVD on that DVD player. I just don't like this Region sytem. It makes our already complicated life even more complicated, IMO. But I guess it's done to prevent piracy and black market.

I found out that I need the instruction booklet to set my player to play Region 1 DVDs. Of course that got lost by the wayside when we moved house last September. :rolleyes:

There's nothing for it but go out and buy another dvd player.

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble, LenaLove. Before you go and buy another dvd player, I would suggest - if you haven't already done so- seeing if you can download an instruction booklet from the DVD company website. Or maybe they have a FAQ or Troubleshooting section online where you could get some help. I was able to do that last summer when I was having trouble with a printer and couldn't find the book. I hope you find a solution soon. :hug:

Before you go and buy another dvd player, I would suggest - if you haven't already done so- seeing if you can download an instruction booklet from the DVD company website. Or maybe they have a FAQ or Troubleshooting section online where you could get some help. I was able to do that last summer when I was having trouble with a printer and couldn't find the book. I hope you find a solution soon. :hug:

I agree with jaqi, LenaLove. We found instructions to our lawnmower online. Good luck! :hug: -Anar

Great suggestions everyone, but I don't think the dvd will play on a lawnmower, Anar.

Great suggestions everyone, but I don't think the dvd will play on a lawnmower, Anar.

:lmao:

Thanks Jupiter. I needed that. :hug:

Great ideas, guys. Off to search the net for instructions.

Don't panic LenaLove - before you buy another DVD player,

try googling the model/make and the phrase 'region hack'.

There are a number of websites/messageboards with instructions

for switching the region codes on DVD players, and most just need a certain

sequence of buttons pressed on the remote!

For example, you might find a hack for your model on http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

If not, you might be able to buy a chipped remote to make your player region free - for our Panasonic combi they cost around £25!

Good luck!

Kathryn.

I feel for you, Rona, the only thing worse than not having the dvd at all would be having it and not being able to play it.

As Kathryn suggested, you could try searching for 'region hack'. DVD Reviewer has what looks like a fairly comprehensive list.

If you do decide to buy a new machine, Amazon.co.uk have a couple at under £30. Alternatively, if your d drive on the computer is broken anyway, a new dvd rom can be bought for as little as £13.00.

Good luck!

kathryn I owe you big time. I followed that link and with a bit of poking around I got the hack for my DVD player.

:cheer: :cheer: It worked! :cheer: :cheer:

I just knew you lot were the ones to ask. I love this place and all the people in it. :wub:

Ok, now I can calm down, disconnect the phone and draw the curtains. I am going to be busy for the next fews hours.

Congratulations! :cheer:

Now, you guys, don't offend the lawnmower, we just got it working again! :lol: It can't quit on me again, I was about to purchase some goats to cut the grass!

I am glad you can now get some Orlando time! -Anar

That's wonderful news, Rona! :cheer: I'm sure you'll let us know what you think when you're finished. :wink:

That's great, Rona. :cheer: I am happy it all worked out for you. Now, just sit back and enjoy KOH EE! :)

Wonderful news. :cheer: Enjoy the movie, LenaLove. I'll finally have time to watch tomorrow, and I can't wait.

Way to go ka-Bloomies! Solved Rona's problem like that! We are an awesome community.

Rona, looking forward to your comments when you come up for air.

Aliza

kathryn I owe you big time. I followed that link and with a bit of poking around I got the hack for my DVD player.

:cheer: :cheer: It worked! :cheer: :cheer:

Oh excellent! Let us know what you think when you surface.

I never actually managed to find a hack that worked for me, and ended up paying for a downlaod for the computer DVD drive - so I'm really glad all the hours I spent searching actually benefitted someone!

The really interesting bit of information I discovered is that the cheaper machines generally end up being easier to switch regions on, as the more expensive ones have more complicated region protection! In fact you end up paying for that ability to play less DVDs :doh: I wish I'd known that before we bought ours.

It really is annoying as sin about some DVD players playing it and others not, it really is. I feel for those of you who are having problems.

My copy of the extended edition arrived yesterday (ordered it from Amazon) and I put it in the player not 100% what I would have to look up or what to press, but I didn't have to do anything, it played it just fine!

One thing I have noticed, however, is that some DVD players have a P/N button on their remote (It's on two of the three we have in our house), and when you press this it circulates between the different formats.

Well knock me down with a kipper.

None of my dvd recorders/players are meant to play region 1, but I thought I'd try them all before buying a new one. One works!

None of my dvd recorders/players are meant to play region 1, but I thought I'd try them all before buying a new one. One works!

Yay, Jupiter. :cheer: Enjoy!

One thing I have noticed, however, is that some DVD players have a P/N button on their remote (It's on two of the three we have in our house), and when you press this it circulates between the different formats.

My remote had that button, Kyle. I tried using it and switched the player from PAL to NTSC thinking that would work, but apparently all that does is change the signal to your television, it does not change the region.

I am glad your's worked ok, and I am now going to go watch the movie all by myself with Orlando's commentary.

BTW: Hubby was dead impressed that I got the DVD to switch regions thanks to Kathryn and the rest of you. I had phoned him in a right state when I couldn't get the thing to play and he was the one who was going to go off and buy a new player.

So Mr. LenaLove sends all of you huge hugs and thanks and promises never to moan about the amount of time I spend here ever again! :grouphug:

Happy to oblige Jup. :trout:

Rona :heart: