Geri

133 posts in this topic

I also love KOH EE Dir.Cut dvd. There are so many little moments that add more meaning to the whole

film. Especially in the hospital scene when Godfrey feeds the orange to Balian; the look on his face

as he tastes it for the first time, doubt, what is this? Then it must be ok - my father gave it to me.

Edited by Jackie

I'm watching KOH again and I have a question about the forest ambush in France. Near the end of the fight Hospitaler rides past Balian and strikes him on the head with his sword. Balian looks at him and nods his head once. I keep wondering what this could mean. In light of what Ridley Scott said about Hospitaler being somewhat mystical, I wonder if it could have meant Balian was touched by God? Is this farfetched? Or maybe he was just being whimsical. :lol: I would love to hear some opinions.
Serendipity, this has had me intrigued for some time and this part of the scene is a delight to watch in the movie. I decided to "take the bull by the horns" and check out all the commentaries on both versions of the DVD and even re watched the "extras" on the first version. This was my week-end mission. It appears that nobody has made a comment and I haven't found any reference to it anywhere on the DVDs.

Now, I do have a book on the movie which was attached to the theatrical version DVD and while I have read all the important bits on Orlando I must read the whole book and see if there is a reference to this gesture by the Hospitaler. Will advise if my progress is fruitful.

:hug:

Charlie

Hmm. Now I need to watch that scene again. My original take on it was that the Hospitaler was, in the heat of the fight, bearing down on him as if he was an enemy, then sort of "pulls up" as he recognizes him, and then sort of pops him on the head, as if to say "right then, you're one of mine" and gives him a grin. But you guys have given me a lot more to look for now - I just need to get a bit of time to rewatch it!

mares

It was discussed earlier in this thread (or the original release thread) that The Hospitaler is meant to be a metaphysical presence in the film. He appears and disappears "magicallly" and always has te right words or wisdom for any situation. There was some debate as to whether or not he brought Balian back to life after the fight with the Templars in the desert. Was Balian dead or was The Hospitaler just checking his temple for a pulse? With that in mind the scene you're discussing could indicate several things:

1. He was letting Balian know that he always had to be aware of more than the person he was doing battle with. Balian was still in training, after all, so the tap and smile kind of said "If I were an enemy you'd be dead." And Balian nodded to acknowledge the lesson.

2. He could have been dubbing Balian symbolically in recognition of how well he had fought.

3. It may have been the touch of destiny: The Hospitaler's recognition that Balian was worthy of his father's trust and his own special path. In some sense The Hospitaler is a stand-in for God.

I remember someone posting about Ridley discussing this in some interview or another, but as usual, I can't recall where or when it was heard. Search back through the thread and you may be able to find it.

Krissy

I remember someone posting about Ridley discussing this in some interview or another, but as usual, I can't recall where or when it was heard. Search back through the thread and you may be able to find it.

Krissy

Thanks, Krissy, I do remember we talked about this earlier but I didn't think we found a definitive answer. I will check out all the threads as it will bug me until I do. I am a mad woman on a mission. :lol:

:hug:

Charlie

I just bought a copy of the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven (I know, I'm a little behind). I sat and watched it Sunday night and I have to say, I loved it. I've seen the theatrical version and it was good, but this version is so much better. I felt like I was able to connect more with all of the characters.

I have a new hero and his name is Balian! :swords:

I've just got in the post the koh four disc definitive directors cut dvd, which I had to get because it comes in a tin! :cheer2:

A really lovely tin box with metallic effect pictures. And on the front that action picture of Balian!

It seems to be same as the directors cut dvd - so in effect I've paid £7 for the tin. But I think that an extra copy may come in handy and I hated the UK packaging for the directors cut.

tatoola