Geri

133 posts in this topic

Just a quick note to say I finally saw it last night and it is as fabulous as I was led to believe. I will be back later with more impressions and coherent thoughts, but I wanted to squueeeeeeee! for a moment. There are all these tiny little things they dropped into the film that completely changed the narrative. Sometimes just a word, a slightly different inflection in a line, a facial expression. I cannot believe the difference.

Kathryn I'm interested from a purely academic standpoint in that question you raised in your post about the tattoo. I will be studying up on the subject as soon as I can and I'd be interested in sharing data with you.

:Cloud9:

Aliza

I've only watched this once so I'll just be posting what stuck out in my mind as I watched it.

First of all, the holes left over from the theatrical version that were filled in this version were amazing to me. Sybilla's character alone was fleshed out in this version and she really did become more than just another love interest to Orlando's Balian in the film. I believe that Sir Ridley himself was pleased with that in the director's cut.

As for Orlando's Balian, outside from what others have already said, I have to say that I love the journey that he takes us in this version. I've always loved Balian. I've loved how we got to see him 'grow up', for lack of better words, in the theatrical version. However, in watching this yesterday, I was struck by the maturity that Balian possesses at the end of the movie. Orlando took Balian from a man of grief to a man of honor. Even the lines on his face at the end of the movie that didn't seem to be there at the beginning told of the journey that Balian took in this film. Every word, every expression, every emotion was worn well by Orlando and at all the right times.

The whole cast was truly magnificent in this very important film.

Good morning everyone,

Well, I finally got to sit down and watch this last night. I'm still stunned by what an amazing movie this is in its full form. I'm not sure I can convey how I feel intelligently, I'm still processing everything. I do have to say that first and foremost, Orlando is absolutely freakin' awesome as Balian. I was riveted by his performance in the theatrical release but this one really shows the depth of his character's journey. I know we all love him but I don't see how anyone with an unbiased opinion can question his acting ability ever again. He did a wonderful job. :clap:

Without stating them specifically, I was very surprised to find a couple of scenes actually made me chuckle, I certainly wasn't expecting anything that could be considered somewhat funny to be added in. I hope I'm not the only one who felt that way! :fear: The fight between Guy and Balian was well, just fantastic. The outcome was not what I expected and that made it all the more interesting.

Good grief, I'm rambling, aren't I? :blink: Suffice it to say that I LOVE this version and I'm thankful that we got to see it! Hopefully one of these days when I'm not so overwhelmed I'll be able to convey my feelings more intelligently.

Kathie

Today is my first "Balian free" day since May 23, 2006. I am literally buggy eyed and exhausted from watching the movie twice (once with commentary) and all the extras. I think I caught all the extras but I still have to go back and check all the various paths. Even when you click on "Play All" you don't see it all.

It's an outstanding movie from start to finish. I loved it! Orlando's performance was magnificent and he had me right from the beginning. Everyone connected with this movie should be very proud. I can't stop thinking about it.

I wanted to mention something I saw on the extras DVD. It was some time later . after the doggie bite bit :lmao: and I think they were talking with the set designers and showing the food, barrels of grains, etc. At one point I am almost sure I saw this happen in the background: Orlando snuck up on Ridley, grabbed a handful of grains and strewed them over Ridley's head. Ridley turned around and took a swipe at Orlando who dodged out of the way real fast. I played it twice and thought "Yep, that has to be Orlando"!! I really hope someone else noticed that! I am going to watch the extras again, hopefully tomorrow, and I will verify where that particular spot is on the DVD.

:hug:

Charlie

I got to watch it last night and was surprised at how much better this version is. I mean, I've been reading the the rave reviews and all, but thought, "could it really be THAT much better?" It is.

You know, Kira, I have to agree with what you said here. Let me first say this though.I didn't really have much of a problem with the theatrical release to begin with. I mean I knew there were things missing and holes that could have been filled, but I loved it from the start. I knew this version would be better, I had no doubt, but I kept thinking to myself, "How much better can it be?" I have to tell you that it has exceeded any and every expectation I had for it. I'm not really that great with words so I can't even express to you how amazing it is to me and how proud (make that more proud) I am of Orlando and his performance here. I already thought he was perfect as Balian, but now his performance even goes beyond that for me. And yes, Sibylla's story is much improved as well. Everything just falls into place and makes more sense.

I personally love that they put some more back in of the Ibelin scenes. That's my favorite part of the movie because it's the one time Balian seems somewhat happy and satisfied. Something I was also anticipating was the fight between Balian and Guy. Now THAT was something to behold. They must have worked so hard on that. I held my breath. :faint:

I also can't say enough about the extras on the DVD's. Every part I've watched so far has been great, interesting and fun. Getting to see Orlando's screentest was an extra special treat in my book - and hearing how wonderful they thought he was from the start. :wub: I just hope and pray with all my heart he hears as much of this praise for him and for this film as possible. He deserves every bit of it and more.

Les, I agree with everything you said. I couldn't have said it better if I tried. I am not too good with words myself, so I thought what you said Les was perfect. Kingdom of Heaven is a masterpiece and Orlando was absolutely outstanding as Balian. I was so emotional by the time the movie was over I was shaking. It really took me a long time to finally collect myself. That is how much of an affect Orlando and this movie had on me. So I am glad I have it and it was well worth the wait. So thank you Orlando, Ridley and the rest of the cast and crew for this wonderful gift you have given us.

Kim

I wanted to mention something I saw on the extras DVD. It was some time later . after the doggie bite bit :lmao: and I think they were talking with the set designers and showing the food, barrels of grains, etc. At one point I am almost sure I saw this happen in the background: Orlando snuck up on Ridley, grabbed a handful of grains and strewed them over Ridley's head. Ridley turned around and took a swipe at Orlando who dodged out of the way real fast. I played it twice and thought "Yep, that has to be Orlando"!! I really hope someone else noticed that! I am going to watch the extras again, hopefully tomorrow, and I will verify where that particular spot is on the DVD.

Charlie

Yes, I saw that. I knew it was Orlando, I didn't know it was Ridley Scott. I remember thinking, even in such a serious scene, the kid in him has to break out. :lol::wub:

My DVD came in the mail today. :cheer: I was one of the ka-Bloom lucky winners of the set, and again I want to say "thank you, ka-Bloom" for brightening up the rather quiet life of this old gal ! :hug:

How did I like the extended version? How do I put it into words? I loved the theatrical version, even though through this board I knew a lot of the scenes had been cut or deleted. So, having thought Orlando did great work with Balian in the original release, I was prepared to see an even better Balian. I was not disappointed. In fact, I was overwhelmed. :2thumbs: I couldn't believe some of Balian's best material was cut out from the original: his love for his wife, his relationship with his brother/the priest, his developing love for Sybilla, :hott: his devotion to his oath, and his final battle with Guy and the dramatic way it ended. Seeing it all put back in and rounding out Balian's story arc was spellbinding. It was the best movie of 2005, and would have garnered many awards. I loved it.

But the past is the past, and what was done cannot be undone. Those of us who have the Director's Cut have a treasure of a movie. It will be a long time before another movie about events that happened hundreds of years ago, and parallels events that are still happening today, is made as well as this one.

Ridley Scott, Orlando Bloom, Eva Green -- take a well deserved bow. :clap:

Charlie

Yes, I saw that. I knew it was Orlando, I didn't know it was Ridley Scott. I remember thinking, even in such a serious scene, the kid in him has to break out. :lol::wub:

Thank you Serendipity! It sure looked like Ridley to me with his size, posture, etc. but I can't be sure so I shall just have to watch the extras again to satisfy my curiosity. I knew it had to be Orlando as he has proved to be a huge rascal on other occasions! Elizabethtown / graveyard / Kirstin / dead bug!!!

:lol:

Charlie

I finished watching the DVD for the second time, and the more I watch it, the more I am in awe of this movie and Orlando. I don't know what it is about Orlando's performance, but he just makes it look so natural, like he was born to play this part. No, scratch that. TO BECOME Balian. Like someone else mentioned, we don't see Orlando playing the part of Balian, but Orlando BECOME Balian, in every way possible. If this an indication of what Orlando has in store for us in what will doubtless be a fantastic and remarkable career, wow. :bow: And he is only 29! As for the movie itself. It's in a different league from the Theatrical Version, IMO. There is no comparison. If Theatrical Version was a painting, then the Director's Version is one that was retouched with the strokes of masters such as Michelangelo.

I watched the extras again today and still can not find where the scene with Orlando and the dog. :doh: Could someone clue me in?

I watched it all without the commentary this time. I couldn't help but notice some really small things. The soundtrack seems to be clearer. And the Kings dialog seems to be too.

I watched the extras again today and still can not find where the scene with Orlando and the dog. :doh: Could someone clue me in?

Allie, it's in the section called 'The Pilgrimage Begins' on Disc 3, between the scene with Balian and Baldwin with the peacock squawking in the background, and Orlando on the plane with the yellow highlighter.

ETA: Approximately 14 minutes into the feature - hope that helps.

Edited by Aniethen

Aniethen, I had forgotten about the peacock. :lol: That was so funny. Didn't I hear them say that was the last time the peacocks were on the set? :lmao:

Guest fairywriter

I'm waiting to watch the actual movie until a dear friend receives her copy.but I'm going through the two supplement discs with tremendous pleasure. It's a gracious thing, sharing whole processes of film-making and story telling with us. That Orlando got to be part of such a marvelous piece of work is icing on a very well made cake.

Wasn't he lovely, our lovely man?

Pray that my friend's copy is delivered to her today while she's home. Otherwise it'll be Monday before she gets it. and that would be sad.

Blessings on your heads.

I knew I would be blown away by this DVD from the off, and all parts and points that I could wax lyrical about have been beautifully put into words already by my fellow members. I knew what to expect, so last night I watched the DVD with my hubby as my test audience. He is a man of few words, as some of you may know, and he sat through the entire two discs to the very credits at just after 1am knowing he had to get up for work at 5.30am. He didn't fidget or yawn once. A big sign he loved it. :rolleyes:

I had kept him spoiler free for the most part, and he could not believe how so much of the story and character arcs had been cut out for the theatrical. I will not go into all he said, in respect of the fact that we cannot cry over spilt milk, as my gran used to say, and in respect for this board.

But I hope Geri and Jan can forgive me for saying one thing though. I finished the movie by saying "They were robbed of Oscars" meaning Sir Ridley etc.

Hubby answered "No, Orlando was". :blush:

I knew I would be blown away by this DVD from the off, and all parts and points that I could wax lyrical about have been beautifully put into words already by my fellow members. I knew what to expect, so last night I watched the DVD with my hubby as my test audience. He is a man of few words, as some of you may know, and he sat through the entire two discs to the very credits at just after 1am knowing he had to get up for work at 5.30am. He didn't fidget or yawn once. A big sign he loved it. :rolleyes:

I had kept him spoiler free for the most part, and he could not believe how so much of the story and character arcs had been cut out for the theatrical. I will not go into all he said, in respect of the fact that we cannot cry over spilt milk, as my gran used to say, and in respect for this board.

But I hope Geri and Jan can forgive me for saying one thing though. I finished the movie by saying "They were robbed of Oscars" meaning Sir Ridley etc.

LenaLove, as Claire might say, "Give your husband a big ol' hug from me." He sounds like a wonderful guy.

WOW. Lenalove, dare I say your husband is WONDERFUL? :) And how right he is!

Thanks, one big 'ol hug coming up for hubby when he comes home for lunch. :hug:

I was like this :O when he said it, I was so flabbergasted that he finally "got" Orlando.

The new cut is a major improvement; it's the same story, but the incoherent parts that make you go "huh?" are gone. I'm so glad that Ridley Scott went to the trouble of putting this together.

Eva Green's new plotline adds a whole new dimension to the film. I hope this new version will help her to get the respect she deserves as a serious actress. (I'm sure she will be a fine Bond girl, but she has the potential to do so much more.)

As for Orlando's Balian, I was already impressed, and I still am. I think Ridley Scott got exactly what he wanted from his lead actor.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide. «
It's still adultery, though, no matter what anybody says. And I still think it's out of character for Balian, who is otherwise so deliberate about his moral choices, to let himself become involved in an adulterous relationship without giving the matter much more thought and deliberation than he does in the film. Just my opinion, and it in no way detracts from my enjoyment of the love scene. :drool:

When I watched the theatrical version I was really disappointed. The whole story seemed so disjointed, as if Ridley Scott was so overwhelmed by all the things he wanted to say that the story never really hit its stride. I wasn't even going to rent the director's cut but our own Suzie convinced me to watch it anyway. So last night I rented the DVD and settled in for the evening.

What a difference a few scenes make. In the theatrical version Sybilla is nothing more than a love interest inserted to compensate for Balian's real life-love being dead at the start. In the DC she becomes a fully rounded person in her own right; one who has reserves of strength, courage and intelligence that equal Balian's own. She lives a less chivalrous life only because she understands the lesser-of-two-evils decisions that are required to rule a kingdom. The theatrical version left me wondering why Balian wasted his time with that spoiled little girl; the director's cut left me sympathizing with Sybilla for the choices she has to make.

Lianna, about your spoiler.

I don't think his affair with Sybilla was out of character at all. Balian had plenty of time to debate the consequences of his actions and fall in love with Sybilla. The director's cut makes it clear that she stayed as a guest at his home for quite a while. When she arrived they had only begun building the irrigation trenches; by the time their affair starts there is already the beginning a crop growing the fields. Also, if Balian was too perfect in his moral choices he would be annoying instead of sympathetic.

The dialog in Scott's films are definitely improving. The only piece that annoys me a little is Sybilla's speech when.

she comes to Balian's bedchamber. Lovely word - bedchamber. It's a word that needs to be used more often. :blush:

Anywho, the speech starts out so personal; she explains that she isn't coming to him to be wicked or out of boredom. It ends with, "In the east there is nothing between two people but light," which strikes me as the medieval equivalent of, "I'm here, your here, so let's get it on baby!" It's as if she's justifying the affair with politics instead of admiting that she's incapable of not coming to him.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should even bother watching theatrical versions of films at all. So much of the story is cut out for the sake of "sitting time" that your paying a larger amount of money to see half the film than you are to watch the entire story. I'd rather see theatres re-introduce intermissions than watch half a film.

:oops: I've been a bit long winded.

When I watched the theatrical version I was really disappointed. The whole story seemed so disjointed, as if Ridley Scott was so overwhelmed by all the things he wanted to say that the story never really hit its stride. I wasn't even going to rent the director's cut but our own Suzie convinced me to watch it anyway. So last night I rented the DVD and settled in for the evening.

:blush: I am glad you liked it, Lovely Pride. IMO, the Director's Version is in a different league from the Theatrical Version. There is no comparison. Every time I see it, I am overwhelmed by the breathtaking cinematography and acting, especially that of Orlando's. I think many will change their minds about Orlando after seeing the Director's Version. He isn't just a pretty boy, but a wonderful actor with a passion for his craft, as well as a man with a big heart. :heart:

Concerning the adulterous affair, remember also that by this time, Balian knew that Sybilla had not chosen Guy as a husband- that she had been given to Guy by her mother, after her own husband (and father of her son) had died. Guy had also already demonstrated himself to be a man of questionable character and motivation and Balian did not regard him as worthy of respect. All of this, coupled with his love for her, gave poetic justice to their affair and probably made it somewhat easier for Balian to give in. Still, she did seduce him and it was adulterous. At the end of the day, a perfect knight is still just a man. :lol:

I think the way he denied her in the stables after turning down the king spoke well enough of his guilt and his efforts at making things right - and fit well into the theme of seeking redemption by choosing right action. This circle of events as a whole don't do any harm to Balian's character, in my eyes. They just humanize him even more.

I just finished my first viewing of the Director's Cut and I must say it is everything that everyone has said it is. The story flows so much better and makes so much more sense. The scenes added at the beginning, of Balian dreaming about his wife and the expressions on his face as he does, are just heartbreaking.

Also the scenes with Sybilla and her son, especially the final one were so poignant they brought me to tears. It was made even more poignant for me because I could see my grandson in that little boy.

All in all it was an amazing viewing exprience and one I can't wait to have again, perhaps several more times this holiday weekend. Orlando is exquisite. He seems to me the master of subtlety when it comes to his ability to convey everything with a look. He doesn't need words, he has that eloquent face and those evocative eyes.

That said however, I must confess to also being a bit put off by Balian's relationship with Sybilla. I felt that way after watching the theatrical version and I feel the same after watching the director's cut, maybe more so. Don't get me wrong, watching those expanded love scenes between Balian and Sybilla was extremely delightful, but I'm not talking so much about the fact that the two entered into an adulterous affair. I can understand how it could happen, especially since Sybilla was trapped in an unhappy marriage with a dispicable man. What bothers me more is that for a man who was in such profound grief over his wife's death Balian seemed to forget about her rather quickly. I mean, the first serious overture that Sybilla made towards him, he crumbled and in a relatively short time he's confessing that he loves her. I would have preferred to see a lot more resistance on Balian's part out of love and deference to the wife he seemed so desperately in love with.

Other than that small complaint, I'm absolutely in love with this film and can't wait to view it again. I'm thrilled to see Orlando and this movie finally get such justified praise.

By the way, I love Ridley Scott's comments before the film begins.

Orlando is exquisite. He seems to me the master of subtlety when it comes to his ability to convey everything with a look. He doesn't need words, he has that eloquent face and those evocative eyes.

Yes, that's it exactly.

I finally got my copy and have watched the movie and some of the commentary.

I thought that the first version was Oscar material, but was bothered a little, not so much by the holes in background information, but by the sometimes forced pace of some of the dialogue. In this version all the 'not quite right' issues have been corrected to provide a deeply fulfilling experience completely devoid of 'jarring' moments.

This is the movie that rocked my world in the first place and sent me out onto the net looking for Orlando Bloom. As moving as it was in the first version, this version is sublime! Orlando's performance could not be improved upon and I think he has proved to the general populace what ka-Bloomies have known for some time.

He is THE quintessential actor of our time.

The rest of the cast, wardrobe, set, direction, etc., wasn't bad either.

What bothers me more is that for a man who was in such profound grief over his wife's death Balian seemed to forget about her rather quickly.

Hi Adrianne

What is not belaboured in the film is that at the time it took about a year to travel from France to the Holy Land and as has been pointed out it takes a long, long time to go from dug well, through all of the terracing, to planting, to germination, to crop.

And even after all that time, and even when he rode off into the sunset with another man's wife at the end of the film, to me, he still did not look at ease with it. I think it was his wife he was remembering at the newly budding tree at the end, as it was his wife that planted the tree.

Just my two cents.most of what needed to be said about this movie has already been said here, beautifully.