This time it's from JoBlo.com - so far the response to the real film has been 100% unanimous. And that question just keeps hanging. why, oh why?

KINGDOM OF HEAVEN (DC)

Reviewed By: Sturdy

Director: Ridley Scott

Actors: Orlando Bloom

Eva Green

Jeremy Irons

Movie: 4 and half stars

DVD: 5 stars

Overall: 4 and a half stars

A young blacksmith is reunited with his father shortly after the death of his wife and still born son. Realizing he has nothing to live for, he joins his father to Jerusalem where he becomes a knight and learns what it means to be a man and a Christian.

I want to be careful not to make this review a compare and contrast essay between the two versions of the film. However, it is important to note some key differences. I can honestly say that I’ve seen many director’s cuts of films and I’ve never seen one that has changed the entire film as much as this version of KINGDOM OF HEAVEN. I thought the first cut of the film was decent, but this director’s cut is spectacular, and it’s a shame this wasn’t the version the world saw in the beginning.

The basics of the story are still the same. What’s different is the emotional depth of Balian (Bloom). The original was a cut and dry poor-boy-to-hero tale with little emotional investment into the lead character. This cut shows the agony and suffering Balian has gone through and looks closer at why he acts like he does. Also, the original barely touched on the moral issues surrounding the crusades and the similarities between the wars of yesterday and the wars of today. I personally felt the newer version did a much better job by bringing the moral issues out in the open and allowing the viewer to make his or her own comparisons between the crusades and current events. Also, they added a lot of really good supporting characters that added a lot to the film, mainly Sibylla’s son.

Obviously, I loved the film and feel it is one of Ridley Scott’s finest pieces (and I’m a huge Scott fan). It’s everything you want an epic historical drama/adventure to be; exciting, touching, sad, interesting, and most importantly, honest. It’s more than just another battle film. It has a message to it that was originally lost. Also, it’s not Muslim or Christian propaganda. Ridley Scott has managed to make an unbiased film that depicts both sides equally well.

I feel that this film has been lost in the fold with all the poorly made epic battle films and that’s not fair to the movie. This is an amazing film and it deserves more credit than it has received. If you saw the original and were unimpressed, I ask that you get your hands on this version and you will definitely not be disappointed.

Final Diagnosis

I strongly feel that if this version of the film had been released originally, critics and the public alike would be calling it one of the best of the year. Unfortunately, they messed up big time and cheated most of us out of the theatrical release. However, this brilliant 4-disc edition helps make up for it and it deserves a place in every DVD collection.

The rest is really just a break down of the features on the DVD and I think we all know what those are by now. :shiny:

Oh, and the star ratings are as follows:

4 stars - Healthy as a horse (worth buyin)

5 stars - Doctor's orders (must have)

Cheers

CC :meow:

:cry: Thank you, CC. I hope that word of all these glowing reviews is getting back to Orlando. He has to know that his work in this film is finally being recognized.

Thanks for posting, CC. The positive reviews coming from all over the place hopefully does get back to everyone involved with the film especially Orlando.

Another one! :w00t: And yes, I do hope Orlando is reading all these. I know it must have hurt to read all those negative remarks last year. All his hard work and dedication are being rewarded now. Enjoy it, Orlando. You MORE THAN deserve it. I can't wait to see more reviews after tomorrow. Keep them coming, folks! :towel: And thank you, CatsbyCat.

From CatsbyCat's post of the JoBlo.com review of the DC DVD of KOH:

I thought the first cut of the film was decent, but this director’s cut is spectacular, and it’s a shame this wasn’t the version the world saw in the beginning.

I agree completely with his/her opinion. :clap:

Here the reviewer picks up on Orlando's performance:

What’s different is the emotional depth of Balian (Bloom). The original was a cut and dry poor-boy-to-hero tale with little emotional investment into the lead character. This cut shows the agony and suffering Balian has gone through and looks closer at why he acts like he does.

And shows all the world what a great actor Orlando Bloom is. :wub:

I strongly feel that if this version of the film had been released originally, critics and the public alike would be calling it one of the best of the year. Unfortunately, they messed up big time and cheated most of us out of the theatrical release. However, this brilliant 4-disc edition helps make up for it and it deserves a place in every DVD collection.

Again, all I can say is that the reviewer is absolutely right.

These are all wonderful reviews, and Ridley Scott, Orlando and the rest of the cast and crew of KOH can be very proud of their achievement.

I know that all of these stellar reviews of the Director's Cut of 'Kingdom of Heaven' are wonderful to read and are a vindication of Orlando, the rest of the cast and Ridley Scott; and I know that they should make me very happy. Don't get me wrong, I am happy that the truth about this great film is finally, FINALLY coming out, but doggonit! the more of these I read, the angrier this whole situation is making me.

I hope somewhere out in Hollywood, USA some heads are rolling as a result of the very bad decisions made in regard to the theatrical release.

Thanks, CC for posting this review, even if it did make me want to :rant: !