Here is another review from thedigitalbits.com. Like the IGN review, these critics did NOT like the theatrical release, and loved the Director's Cut. I think we'll be seeing more of this type of review, and I'm so glad that this movie will finally be seen in all of its glory. The full version is here, below the cover art for Tristan and Isolde.

Now then... last night, Matt and I had the chance to take in a screening of Ridley Scott's extended cut of Kingdom of Heaven at the Arclight in Hollywood (hosted by our friends over at Collider.com). Let me tell you, you just haven't really seen this film yet. If you've read my review of the 144-minute theatrical cut on DVD, or my initial comments about the film from last year, you'll know that while I really wanted to like Kingdom of Heaven, I felt that there was just too much missing from the story. Too many things happened too quickly to the character of Balian (Orlando Bloom), and so many of the other characters either lacked motivation or had unresolved stories when the film concluded. At the time, I noted that over 40 minutes had actually been trimmed out of Scott's original cut of the film in order to create a version that the studio considered more theater-friendly. Well, let me tell you, those cuts REALLY hurt this film. I couldn't make myself give the theatrical cut more than a C+. It was a beautifully-lensed, but woefully incomplete story. This new 191-minute extended cut, on the other hand, is a truly great piece of work. I'd give it an A-, maybe even a solid A.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

I can't stress enough how different this version of the film is, and how much better and more rewarding an experience it becomes, with the restoration of the trimmed minutes. The 191-minute cut makes its home video debut on Fox's forthcoming 4-disc Kingdom of Heaven: Extended Edition (due in stores on 5/23 - available here at Amazon.com), and as far as I'm concerned, it's worth owning just for this cut of the film alone. Add to that what promises to be an outstanding batch of special features (produced by Scott's longtime DVD producer, Charles de Lauzirika, and his team), and it's not to be missed.

Having seen the Director's Cut, I couldn't agree more with these glowing reviews. I can't wait for you all to see it.

ETA: thanks moderators for moving this to its own thread.

Thank you for sharing this with us KLSMom. :hug: I love reading these reviews about the KOH EE DVD. And everytime I do I get more anxious to see Kingdom Of Heaven the way it was meant to be shown and to see Orlando, Liam Neeson, Jeremy Irons and Eva Green in all their glory. May 23rd couldn't get here soon enough for me. :)

Kim

Thanks, Christine, for bringing this review to us. It's wonderful to hear such a glowing report. My order is in with Amazon, and I can't wait to see the Director's Cut.

:hug:

WW

ETA: After viewing the spoiler, I am more anxious than ever to see this film as it was meant to be shown.

:hellyeah:

Thank you so much for that, Christine. I am so pleased that the word is getting out all over the net about the Director's Cut. It should do well in sales if this continues.

My heart is torn with mixed emotions. :cry: In one hand, I am happy that KOH is finally getting the recognition it deserves. On the other hand, my heart is breaking. Where was this movie in May of 2005?! Why did we have to wait another year to finally get the full version, the film as it was meant to be seen? I know, PEFIC said no more harsh words against you-know-who, so I will :zip: right now. I guess this is a vindication, though. Something that we Orlando fans had to wait an entire year for. I can't wait for this one to come out, so more will be able to see it and see this masterpiece as it was meant to be seen, as well as how wonderful Orlando truly is as Balian. :blow: And thank you, Christine.

Thank you Christine!

I'm having a DVD party and inviting all interested parties to come and see it with me, thought I expect I will have stayed up all night to watch it the moment it arrives!

I still believe! :crusader:

Aliza

I would like to read the whole review, but my :censor: computer won't let me click on the spoiler.

Does anyone have the URL for the review?

Thank you. :hug:

I'm having a DVD party and inviting all interested parties to come and see it with me

That sounds like a great idea Aliza! I couldn't do it though, I would never get to hear anything in the movie!

I would like to read the whole review, but my computer won't let me click on the spoiler.

Ditto. Mine won't either. :bat:

Thanks Christine!

My heart is torn with mixed emotions. :cry: In one hand, I am happy that KOH is finally getting the recognition it deserves. On the other hand, my heart is breaking. Where was this movie in May of 2005?! Why did we have to wait another year to finally get the full version, the film as it was meant to be seen? I know, PEFIC said no more harsh words against you-know-who, so I will :zip: right now. I guess this is a vindication, though. Something that we Orlando fans had to wait an entire year for. I can't wait for this one to come out, so more will be able to see it and see this masterpiece as it was meant to be seen, as well as how wonderful Orlando truly is as Balian. :blow: And thank you, Christine.

Suzie, this is what I have been wanting to say and you said it for me. I couldn't have said it better if I tried.

Thank you Suzie. :hug:

Kim

I would like to read the whole review, but my :censor: computer won't let me click on the spoiler.

Does anyone have the URL for the review

Sorry about that. The review is here, below the cover art for Tristan and Isolde.

Another way to get to see the information under the spoiler is to click on the quote button, as if you were going to reply to Christine's post. That allows you to see her post in full with all the tags and shows you the hidden text too. Just a thought.

Thanks again Christine!

Aliza

Thanks for the link, KLSMom. I'm really looking forward to seeing KoH the way it was meant to be.

What a wonderful review ! :cheer: Thanks so much for bringing it to us, Christine. :hug:

I certainly hope Orlando gets to read these terrific reviews of the Director's Cut. They validate the fact that he is indeed a very fine actor -- one who definitely can carry a film, if most of the best parts aren't left on the cutting room floor ! :censor:

I can't wait to get my hands on this DVD, so I can see for myself what all you have seen it are talking about. It sounds wonderful. May 23rd, where are you?

:2thumbs: