Kira

The Princess and Wizard?

:salt: From India Times:

Hollywood director scouting for lead heroine!

Aakanksha Naval-Shetye

[ Monday, March 20, 2006 08:06:08 pmTIMES NEWS NETWORK ]

RSS Feeds| SMS NEWS to 8888 for latest updates

James Bond and Star Wars director Irvin Kershner is in town to look for a fresh female face for his film.

Bigger Hollywood names are taking notice of Bollywood, with another filmmaker falling for the charm of our homegrown heroes and heroines — director Irvin Kershner.

Best known for his films like Star Wars: Episode V — The Empire Strikes Back, James Bond — Never Say Never Again and Robocop II, the filmmaker is currently in the city scouting not only locations for his next film, but also actors.

Produced by Dr Arjun Daluvoy, his forthcoming film — The Princess and Wizard will be shot across India and abroad and will span places like Egypt, America, Morocco and Mysore, Hyderabad in India.

"We aim to promote Bollywood in Hollywood and vice versa, trying to bridge the gap in the real sense. This is a step further. It is Hollywood coming down to Bollywood.

For the male lead, we are considering Hollywood actors Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom. We're looking for a fresh face from India for the female lead," reveals Dr Daluvoy about his international project.

The duo will also be visiting Jaipur and Udaipur. Says Irvin Kirshner, "Although this is my first trip to India, I have been following Bollywood films.

I especially love the exuberant dance numbers the music and dance is something I will incorporate into my movies. And Indian women are extraordinarily beautiful."

:salt:

:salt: x 10

Once again, a producer bandying about his name to drum up interest (and Google alerts! :lol: ) for a project. But never say never, I guess.

Irvin Kirschner did direct the best of all of the Star Wars films, though.

I could see Orlando in a Bollywood role a la Bride & Prejudice, though I think it would be a tad frothy for him. Definitely pinch of salt time. :lol:

In the words of CPT. Jack:

[Jack mode] That's interesting.[/end Jack mode] :pirate:

That's all I have to say until I know more of what's going on. Thanks for the info though Kira.

:heart:

~Kit-Kat

[ Data Mode ] Fascinating! [/ Data Mode ]

But seriously, I am taking this with a grain of salt, like the rest of you. But I definitely can imagine Orlano in an exotic place such as India.

Interesting article. I'll take it under advisement and await further developments. Always a safe bet. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Kira.

Welshwoman

That's interesting indeed!

So, should he be considering Orlando to play the wizard role, I'm hoping it's going to be more of a mature 'Harry Potter' wizard than a Gandalf style wizard! :lol:

Hmm, may not be true, but it would definitely be amazing to have Orlando in an Indian-ish movie. Ohh that would really be more than awesome. *starts drifting off in silly daydreams worthy of a song in a Hindi movie.* :lol:

I do like the promoting of Bollywood in Hollywood too, if done properly. If not you get these thoroughly disappointing movies like "Bollywood/Hollywood" and even (the new and over-done) "Devdas" representing us, when REALLY good movies like "Lagaan" and "Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge" should be the ones doing the representing. which they do, but still having those previous two out there really doesn't help.

I know this isn't a Bollywood thread and I am going horribly off-topic, but it seems the Hindi movie that every non-Indian friend of mine saw first was "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai," which is good, so if you get a chance, watch those three I mentioned! :lol:

I could mention many more, but I'll just leave it at that for now. :lol: :paperbag:

Someone pointed out to me that Irvin Kershner has to be about 85 years old ! And that he hasn't directed anything in over 10 years ! So how seriously can we take this news article ? :blink:

However, if age is no factor for Mr. Kershner and Mr. Daluvoy, I, for one, would love to see Orlando in a Bollywood movie. Flowing shirts, pantaloons, swords -- he was made for costumed roles. :wub:

I don't see him as a wizard, though. (He's more of an Ali Baba type.) :lmao: But then, maybe the hero isn't the wizard of the title -- maybe he's a prince who's in love with the princess, and the wizard has concocted a spell to keep the princess from him ? Then he would be the hero, riding up on a white horse, duel with the wizard, and carry her to the safety of his beautiful palace. (I'm excited already.)

Anyway, since Hollywood is in the doldrums financially, and since Bollywood is making tons of money, it seems that this might be a fine adventure for Orlando. His fans all over the world would flock to see his Indian movie. If Mr. Kershner and Mr. Daluvoy are interested in promoting Bollywood, what better way to do it than to star Orlando Bloom in one of it's blockbusters ? :cheer:

Irvin Kirschner did direct the best of all of the Star Wars films, though.

Amen, sister. :2thumbs:

Very fascinating and interesting article to say the least. But I also remember reading and hearing how Orlando wants to get away from doing sword movies. :) So I am definitely taking this with a pinch of salt. :salt:

Thank you for sharing the information with us Kira.

Kim

Still not sure what to think about this, but just thought I'd post that Reuters, which is usually pretty reliable, has also picked up the story:

The film's producer Arjun Daluvoy said they were considering Hollywood heartthrobs Johnny Depp or Orlando Bloom for the male lead.

Full story here: Hollywood director turns to Bollywood for next film

Jules

From that Reuter's article, it seems that this will be much more of a children's movie (along the lines of Back to Neverland or the Narnia movie) than a regular Bollywood production. I don't know if this is good or bad. Orlando certainly would appeal to the very young -- he has such an unthreatening manner about him -- and I imagine he would like to make a children's movie. This seems to be the kind of thing Johnny Depp has been doing lately (so his kids can watch his movies).

Children's movies have been box-office hits lately. I like the idea ! :2thumbs: Of course, it means no steamy romantice scenes for Orlando -- and for us to drool over :cry: -- but still, I loved the Narnia movie. I would have liked to have seen Orlando in that.so I say, if it's offered, Orlando, go for it !

After reading the Reuters article, it certainly sounds like it is going to happen as far as the movie goes. And I would love to see Orlando do a movie like this. If it is anything like Narnia I know I will enjoy it. They said filming will be starting sometime in October. And maybe Pirates will be finished up by then. Well only time will tell what happens with The Princess & The Wizard.

Kim

Well today it says it's been finalized? I'm still checking to see if April 1st has come early. Maybe even something lost in translation.

Bolly gal in demand! Who will play opposite Johnny Depp?

by Debasis Jana

The search is on. And buzz mill also at the same time as Hollywood director Irvin Kershner of 'Star Wars' fame is in tinsel town in search of a Bolly gal for his next.

Reportedly the film, titled 'The Princess and Wizard' will be produced by an Indian Dr. Arjun Daluvoy and Irvin will direct.

For male leads, Hollywood actors Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom have been finalized. Now Irvin is looking for a suitable fresh face from India for the female lead.

As per reports the film will be shot across India and abroad and will span places like Egypt, America, Morocco and Mysore, Hyderabad in India.

Till we let you know about the latest, keep guessing who the lucky gal will get an opportunity to act with stars like Johnny Depp.

LINK

Whoa!! This one certainly bears watching. Thanks, MI, for the update.

:hug:

WW

Call me skeptic, but here's what I'm thinking -- :salt:.

Jane, you're such a skeptic. Pass that salt when you're through, will you? :lol:

:blink: Well, this may or may not be true, but it's certainly interesting to say the very least. I'm not sure what to think about it. I just know I've been very anxious to know what he's going to be doing after Pirates. There's the motherly part of me that knows he deserves a nice, long break, but then the selfish fangirl part of me wants to see him as much as possible. :wub: I'll be staying tuned for more information.

I'm calling it :pigfly: and if I could find the Bull hockey one I'd put that. It's interesting maneuvers to say the least. Like I said, I think April 1st is early this year but it's worth a good laugh and something to talk about.

If the male lead for this movie truly is a choice between Johnny Depp and Orlando, then, if Orlando wants the part, I think the timeline makes it his.

Orlando has nothing that we know of lined up for after POTC3, which will finally finish up in late summer. Johnny has two movies lined up for 2006-2007. According to IMDB, first he's scheduled for The Rum Diary, then for Shantaram. Johnny's production company bought the rights to the film for $2 million, and he is scheduled to play the lead role opposite Helena Bonham Carter. This is a big big project for Johnny, so I'm sure it will take precedence over a Bollywood film.

Does Orlando want the role ? Will he actually be offered it -- or was that just thrown out there for publicity purposes ?

Stay tuned.

:lmao:

Well it's certainly getting them a lot of press, bandying about Orlando and Johnny's names in conjunction with the film. :wink:

:blink:

Just me being all too skeptical about it.

Really, I mean, it is just a bit over the edge of the reason. Bollywood? Why? Doesn't Hollywood have anything to offer these days?

Mouse.