rebecca

7 posts in this topic

The entire article and list is here.

WARNING -- Contains strong language and spoilers.

20. KINGDOM OF HEAVEN: THE DIRECTOR’S CUT

Goddamn right this is a deliberate political choice, meant to further shame a studio that screwed the film, but it’s also heartfelt. KINGDOM OF HEAVEN is a great movie. When you see the film on DVD at whatever point, you’ll see what I’m talking about. You’ll realize you were robbed in May. Not since THE ABYSS has a film been so radically butchered for a studio’s summer release date. Oddly enough, that was Fox, too. The fact that this played any theater screen anywhere is small cause for celebration, I suppose. I got to have that experience, along with the three other people who showed up. Hardly seems fair no one else will. Ridley Scott is a great director who doesn’t always make great films, a masterful visualist.

I think he’s got a very particular view of humanity, and he’s only really found a few scripts that have ever perfectly captured his sensibilities. KINGDOM OF HEAVEN is one of those scripts. Bill Monahan did a man’s job on this film, and deserves credit for carefully constructing an epic that is rewarding on both a character and a spectacle level. It’s smart, the characters are rich and interesting, and it’s a sprawling cast. So many people make strong impressions, even in small parts. I love the way the gravedigger from the beginning shows up again at the end of the film as one of the common men who are knighted by Balian (Orlando Bloom). His own personal sense of absolution is heartbreaking.

I love this movie. I regret that it was not given a fair shake this year. I think time will be very kind to it, and maybe down the road, Fox will be shamed into doing the right thing and bringing this back, in its full length, for a real theatrical run. If they really wanted to show Ridley Scott that they are “delighted” with the film, they’d get those director’s cut DVDs into the hands of Oscar voters RIGHT NOW... along with a letter explaining that Ridley Scott’s film deserves a second look, that you came to your senses, that you meant to release this one all along. The ballots were just sent out. You actually had a qualifying run in an LA theater, so the Academy could nominate this particular cut of the film. You still have a chance… a very slim one, admittedly... but a chance... to do the right thing by this movie. There’s already a grass-roots movement starting to build some support, and consider this startling fact: for the first time in what seems like forever, Jeffrey Wells, David Poland, and I are all in complete agreement about something. That alone should suggest just how special this film is, and how much Fox needs to step up and do the right thing. Have faith in it. It’s not too late. Everyone finds forgiveness in the Kingdom of Heaven... maybe even Fox executives.

Thank you so much for the article, Jane. Again, it makes me so angry.

If they really wanted to show Ridley Scott that they are “delighted” with the film, they’d get those director’s cut DVDs into the hands of Oscar voters RIGHT NOW. along with a letter explaining that Ridley Scott’s film deserves a second look, that you came to your senses, that you meant to release this one all along. The ballots were just sent out. You actually had a qualifying run in an LA theater, so the Academy could nominate this particular cut of the film. You still have a chance… a very slim one, admittedly. but a chance. to do the right thing by this movie. There’s already a grass-roots movement starting to build some support, and consider this startling fact: for the first time in what seems like forever, Jeffrey Wells, David Poland, and I are all in complete agreement about something. That alone should suggest just how special this film is, and how much Fox needs to step up and do the right thing. Have faith in it. It’s not too late. Everyone finds forgiveness in the Kingdom of Heaven. maybe even Fox executives.

Sigh. That's all I can say.

Thank you for bringing that over Jane. On the one hand it's wonderful and so completely vindicating to read that, and on the other so utterly heartbreaking. :( But as my new motto this year is to be more positive, I'm going to look at it as a light at the end of the tunnel. If Fox don't re-release this on the theatre curcuit then just think on The Shawshank Redemption. It barely featured at the box office, but since video and dvd release it has become one of the best loved movies ever, gaining fame long after release. I don't think I've met a single person who's seen it that hasn't loved it. Yes, I'm sure it's not quite what Orlando would've hoped for for his first lead role, but the word of mouth and the internet are both powerful tools - the word will spread.

And in other news, Moriarty is my new hero! :cheer:

Cheers

CC :meow:

Sadly (and I sincerely grieve this, myself), I think we must let go the notion of Oscar hopes for KOH. It's done. The film and our fondest wishes for its success are history in that regard. In the "Personality Parade" column in this Sunday's newspaper magazine insert, Walter Scott (no relation that I know of to Ridley) commented in response to a question about another film . "In fact, re-editing after a film's original release renders it ineligible for Oscar consideration." Then he refers to oscars.org for the rules.

I await the KOH director's cut DVD . heralded by Sir Ridley since last year at this time . and deeply regret that Orlando's first big venture as leading man was so poorly handled by whomever holds the responsibility for this. (He has taken from the experience what he needed . perhaps including that of the film's troubles.) I think now we'll have to hope KOH finds it's audience and - more importantly! - communicates its message on smaller screens than it deserves. The most critical thing about this film, IMHO, is the point it makes and the lessons it underscores. More people will be able to see it in DVD format now . including those who were too young to get into the theater because of the rating.

My personal hope is that some who see it will have the epiphany that came late to the story's characters and that they will work for a more peaceable kindom in our present world than the ones we have thus far created.

Hope springs eternal.

I'm with you Nin.

It still breaks my heart the way this film was treated by people who ought to know better, even if they ARE ruled by the bottom line. However, I know, in the cosmic view of things, everything is exactly as it needs to be. I don't know WHY Orlando and Ridley (and we, the audience) needed this bitter experience, but I trust the universe enough to know there's a lesson there somewhere. Perhaps in some perverse way, it will eventually result in KOH's message being seen and heard by an even greater audience than it would have had if they'd put it in the theaters. - We wouldn't be having this particular discussion right now if the Director's Cut had been released in May and the Box Office numbers were still low due to totally unrelated factors, would we.

While I believe firmly this film has a message that everyone should hear, all it has to do is reach one special person with enough vision, determination and power to actually apply it in a way that will affect uncounted others. It will certainly affect more than one. We here at ka-Bloom are just a small example of how a work of art like this can uplift, change and inspire people. I have to believe that Kingdom of Heaven will get its due at exactly the right time. We may not like the wait, but we will all be vindicated. You'll see.

Keep the faith.

Krissy

Thank you, Jane. What I truly love about reading all these reviews is that they were written by males!

I've got my dvd of Kindgom of Heaven on right now. Like LotR, I don't seem to tire of watching it, and it's wonderful to have on while I'm working on other things around the house. The soundtrack makes for wonderful background music, as is true for LotR. I don't mind watching the theatrical version. It's all I've got until the Director's cut is released!

Sadly (and I sincerely grieve this, myself), I think we must let go the notion of Oscar hopes for KOH. It's done. The film and our fondest wishes for its success are history in that regard. In the "Personality Parade" column in this Sunday's newspaper magazine insert, Walter Scott (no relation that I know of to Ridley) commented in response to a question about another film . "In fact, re-editing after a film's original release renders it ineligible for Oscar consideration." Then he refers to oscars.org for the rules.

Sigh. It's breaking my heart to hear this. :cry: I dare others to come up with five other movies that are better than KOH. It's almost a CRIME, that such a masterpiece was so mistreated by those at FOX. Had they had the intelligence to do better, we would all be excited about KOH being nominated for Best Picture, and yes, even Best Actor. I guess I should take comfort in the fact that there are those who saw the Director's Cut and are beginning to speak out. I guess that's a vindication, if a small one. :(