ka-Bloom.org Forum

Interesting Article on Etown

From channelnewsasia.com:

GONE is the lithe young man with the smiling eyes. Orlando Bloom now epitomises characters who have known suffering and pain and are on the cusp of manhood.

And it's not hard to see why. In person, his lost, puppy-dog eyes lend him an aura of sadness. His floppy, shoulder-length locks - immortalised in The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Troy and Kingdom of Heaven - and goatee make the boyish Hollywood pin-up look older than his 28 years.

But Bloom should have plenty of reasons to rejoice. In a span of just four years, he has been in a dozen films, nearly all of them blockbusters - or at least blockbuster wannabes.

Now, he has realised his dream of starring in cult director Cameron Crowe's Elizabethtown - which also marks his first leading role in a contemporary drama. So what gives?

"It wasn't why I hired him, but I think it's one of the things that makes Orlando different from a lot of guys his age - he's been through a lot of pain, and you can see it in his face," Crowe told Today at the Beverly Hills Four Seasons hotel.

Elizabethtown - which opens in Singapore today - is a semi-autobiographical tale written by the 48-year-old Crowe.

Bloom plays Drew Baylor - a shoe designer whose latest effort flops big time, costing his company millions. Naturally, he loses his job.

Another tragedy hits when Drew's father dies. Being the eldest in the family, his mother (Susan Sarandon) wants him to travel to the Baylor family's hometown of Elizabethtown, Kentucky - where his father was visiting when he died - to bring home the body.

So Drew gets on a near-empty red-eye flight where he meets Claire (Kirsten Dunst), an annoyingly chatty and bubbly flight attendant who seems destined to save Drew's life by putting his losses in perspective.

In real life, Crowe's father died while visiting family in Kentucky within days of the release of Crowe's Say Anything in 1989.

To Crowe, it didn't matter that Bloom - who turns 29 next Friday - was a Briton playing an American.

"He said: 'Trust me. I'll get the accent.' He worked really hard on it," the director recalled.

"What was cool, though, was that he was fresh. But people still knew him. It was that odd thing where you're interested in the guy, but you haven't really seen him like this."

By "this", Crowe meant real acting - sans arrows, swords or horses - from Bloom.

"It was wonderful to do a film like this," Bloom said with a hearty laugh - one of the few non-historical movies he's done.

"There's a lot of subtlety, the nuances of a character where you don't have 300 horses charging down a hill or a huge siege sequence that an audience can get drawn into and lost in.

"There's a whole element of human interaction and character interaction that I really enjoy doing. And I feel like I've got a lot to learn."

Bloom and Crowe first met four years ago, when the latter directed him and Kate Beckinsale in a Gap commercial.

"It was great. I wouldn't have done a commercial unless it meant working with Crowe. He is the man. And I hoped that it would lead to Elizabethtown, which it did, so I felt like it was fated. We kept in touch over the years, sending each other CDs and postcards."

Would he do another commercial? "Who knows, man. The world's an ever-changing place. You see movie stars advertising all sorts of things today, for whatever reason. And it may be that it affords them the luxury to do smaller movies, or to go and do a play.

"Because otherwise, you have to keep doing movies where you get paid millions and millions of dollars to maintain a certain lifestyle."

Bloom should know, having come a long way from his supporting roles in The Lord of the Rings trilogy and Troy to being the lead in Kingdom of Heaven - director Ridley Scott's Crusades epic that was widely considered a commercial dud.

On Kingdom of Heaven, he noted wryly: "It's so funny to me because when people say it's at No 1 and it does like over US$200 million ($329.5 million) worldwide.

"In whose eyes is that a failure? Because I don't know. Hollywood has such huge expectations."

Success and failure never cease to fascinate Bloom. And that is one reason why he loves Crowe's script.

"I think this movie tackles that idea of success and failure," he mused.

"If you make enough money, then you can buy that house, that handbag, the suit - whatever you want. But is that going to make you happy? You're not going to take that to the grave."

He gets up to leave. The day's interviews are over and he will get back to the filming of this year's Pirates of the Caribbean sequel.

But before that, he had one more thing to get off his chest.

Bloom knows he is taking a chance with Elizabethtown. But he is not too concerned about the results.

"Like I said, I've had this amazing opportunity to do all these action-adventure movies. I can't be afraid to fail because if I'm afraid to fail, I'm going to live my life for somebody else. And I don't want to do that. I want to live my life for me.

"I want to make movies that mean something to me, that move me. Just because it doesn't move somebody else, what are you going to do? It's like you can't live your life like that. If you do, then you're just losing a sense of who you are."

And yes, he said it with a smile in his eyes. - TODAY

I'm not sure if any of these quotes from Orlando are new or not, but I found some of them very timely, in light of the recent items about him in the media.

What a great article, Rebecca. Thanks for finding and sharing. I never know about these things, how accurate the quotes might be. I truly hope they are.

To never take a chance on something you really want to do because it might fail is no way to live. For me, I've learned as much (perhaps more) from my failures in life as I have from any successes I've had.

I'm glad Orlando is willing to go where his heart leads him.

WW

Bloom knows he is taking a chance with Elizabethtown. But he is not too concerned about the results.

"Like I said, I've had this amazing opportunity to do all these action-adventure movies. I can't be afraid to fail because if I'm afraid to fail, I'm going to live my life for somebody else. And I don't want to do that. I want to live my life for me.

"I want to make movies that mean something to me, that move me. Just because it doesn't move somebody else, what are you going to do? It's like you can't live your life like that. If you do, then you're just losing a sense of who you are."

Words to live by.

Thank you for posting the article, Rebecca.

I was just about to quote the same bit, then realized that Jaqi already had. I'm so glad to see he has things in such great perspective. After the lumps he's taken this year, it's wonderful to hear that he can be so philosophical.

I did feel like I've read large parts of this article before, whole chunks of it seem very familiar, but I can't quite remember where at the moment. Thanks for posting Rebecca/Jane!

Jules

ETA: I think this is the article that has similarities: The Independent

It's something he's been saying and displaying . in one form or another . as long as we've known him - that he's got a strong sense of self. He seems to know who he is and where he wants to go. I don't know whether it's his physical history, with all the injuries and the near-crippling broken back . or that he's traveled so much and seen and sampled so many cultures . or something else. Maybe it's what he's learned from his study of Buddhism or perhaps he's an old soul with wisdom beyond his current years. But what ever "it" is, it's given him a seemingly unshakeable sense of balance and sure-footedness that can only serve him well in the life he's living now.

I can't be afraid to fail because if I'm afraid to fail, I'm going to live my life for somebody else. And I don't want to do that. I want to live my life for me.

Amazingly level-headed, grounded and sure of himself for someone so young. He continues to impress me. What a spirit, what a bright light.

What a great article, Rebecca. To never take a chance on something you really want to do because it might fail is no way to live.  For me, I've learned as much (perhaps more) from my failures in life as I have from any successes I've had. 

I'm glad Orlando is willing to go where his heart leads him.

I second that, Welshwoman. I have heard some of these quotes in various interviews he has done. He has such a wonderful outlook on life .. a real "breath of fresh air". :wub: But, we already know that about him.

Thank you, Rebecca, for posting!

:hug:

Charlie

As Nin pointed out, he's been saying things like this since day one. He knows what he wants (and it isn't to be the latest self-promoting no-talent SuperStar). He also knows how to get it and is working diligently towards his goal, one day at a time. For him the journey is the destination.

Krissy

Words to live by.

Thank you for posting the article, Rebecca.

Ditto! Orlando never ceases to amaze me. He is mature WAY beyond his years. Sigh. Bravo, Orlando. :clap: You are amazing, and the time will come when you zip up all those naysayer's mouths. :zip: And we will be savoring that moment. :smoke:

.......perhaps he's an old soul with wisdom beyond his current years.  But what ever "it" is, it's given him a seemingly unshakeable sense of balance and sure-footedness that can only serve him well in the life he's living now.

Amazingly level-headed, grounded and sure of himself for someone so young.  He continues to impress me.  What a spirit, what a bright light.

So very well said Lady Nin!

"In whose eyes is that a failure? Because I don't know. Hollywood has such huge expectations."

I love this quote I mean truly KOH made a lot of money, well at least to me it did, and yet I hear so much smack about it. Ah well Orlando has it right when he says that Hollywood has some huge expectations.

Thanks for the article Rebecca.

Thanks so much for posting this, Jane. Bless his heart. :wub: I just can't help but love him. My heart has gone out to him so much lately with all the knocks he's taken from critics and the media. I hope he'll continue to have this attitude of "no fear" and taking rolls that move him. It's one thing that sets him apart.

What a great article. Thank you for sharing that with us Rebecca. I am glad to read that he is not going to let the critics bother him. He should do what he feels is right for him and not have to worry about what others might think. And I agree with him about what he said about Kingdom of Heaven. I never could understand how they could say KOH was a failure either.

Like I said in another thread. I love you Orlando, because of the special person you are. And I will be there cheering you on every step of the way.

Kim