ka-Bloom.org Forum

Etown Made a "Top 10 Movie" List

Here's a nice little nugget from AxcessNews.com's Best 10 Films of 2005. Elizabethtown is ninth on the list.

9) Elizabethtown

When Cameron Crowe makes a film, it usually comes from the heart, and "Elizabethtown" was no different. Richly realized and utilizing some of the most potent firepower in Crowe's cinematic arsenal, the film was a delightful evocation of the American south, while also pulling out a decent performance from Orlando Bloom and a spirited one from Kirsten Dunst. Effortlessly poetic, hilarious, and unexpectedly arranged, "Elizabethtown" was a pleasure.

Click on the link above to see the whole list.

The people over at the Movie City News site compile the results of various critics' Top Ten lists into a master list that you can find here: http://www.moviecitynews.com/awards/2006/t.s/00_chart.html

Apparently, Elizabethtown made three critics' Top Ten lists. :)

Kingdom of Heaven made one Top Ten list, and somebody who has been lucky enough to actually see it put the Kingdom of Heaven Extended Cut in the Top Ten.

Edited to add: Holy :censor: . The critic who put the KoH Extended Cut in his Top Ten was the very influential David Poland. I'll post what he had to say in a thread in the KoH forum.

That is great news!! Thank you Jane for telling us about this. I can't wait for the DVD to come out so I can see this again. I usually see a movie once when its in the theaters, but with Elizabethtown I saw it more than once. Its one of those movies that I just wanted to go back and see over and over again. It just made me feel so happy after I saw it. I don't think I stopped smiling for the rest of the day. :)

Kim

From the LA Daily News 2005 end of the year movie review:

INDELIBLE IMAGES

Steve Carrell getting his chest waxed in "The 40-Year-Old Virgin."

King Kong swatting away biplanes atop the Empire State Building in "King Kong."

Joaquin Phoenix stalking the stage as the Man in Black in "Walk the Line."

A bullet: From birth to death in the opening credits of "Lord of War."

Penguins shuffling across 70 miles of frozen Antarctica snowscapes in "March of the Penguins."

Orlando Bloom taking his dad on one last road trip in Cameron Crowe's lyrical ode to the power of love, "Elizabethtown."

FINALLY.

Finally some positive words on Etown. I took my hubby and 4 different friends to see this movie with me. they ALL loved it. Hubby even wanted to see it twice, something that doesn't happen all too often.

And I'm counting the days until the DVD release !

Thanks for sharing this Jane and KLSMom. Aww, that is so beautifully put : a lyrical ode to the power of love.

INDELIBLE IMAGES

Orlando Bloom taking his dad on one last road trip in Cameron Crowe's lyrical ode to the power of love, "Elizabethtown."

Finally! Someone who acknowledges how brilliant that scene is. I think we are entitled to some good news about Orlando for a chage. Thanks, KLSMom.

INDELIBLE IMAGES

Finally! Someone who acknowledges how brilliant that scene is. I think we are entitled to some good news about Orlando for a chage. Thanks, KLSMom.

I so agree! Those scenes of Orlando laughing, crying, talking to his dad, beating on the steering wheel, are very powerful and bring tears to my eyes even now.

The people over at the Movie City News site compile the results of various critics' Top Ten lists into a master list that you can find here: http://www.moviecitynews.com/awards/2006/t.s/00_chart.html

Apparently, Elizabethtown made three critics' Top Ten lists. :)

And you can add one more - Coming in at Number 9 on the list at The Trades. Thank you, Scott Juba, another one who 'gets' it. :yess:

The Trades' Picks for Best Movies of 2005

9. Elizabethtown- This story follows the journey of a young man whose father has just died and whose career as a shoe designer is in shambles. When he heads to Elizabethtown to attend his father’s funeral, he rediscovers himself and meets a spunky woman who teaches him how to truly enjoy life. Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst both exude charisma in their roles and share great on-screen chemistry. Although largely underrated by most critics, “Elizabethtown” is one of the best films Cameron Crowe has ever made.

Thanks, Heysailor. It's good to see critics starting to acknowledge Elizabetown. I am sure Cameron, Orlando and other cast members will be happy to hear this. They worked so hard on this. Here's to Orlando and Cameron and everyone else involved. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

ETown made a Top 5 List. :2thumbs: Thank you, Stephen Simon, the Movie Mystic of West Virginia:

Movie Mystic-Favorite Films of 2005

3. ELIZABETHTOWN (now on DVD)

This is one of the most underrated and under appreciated films of 2005.

Written and directed by the incredibly talented (JERRY MAGUIRE) Cameron Crowe, ELIZABETHTOWN centers on a young man (Orlando Bloom) who makes a colossal mistake at his job that causes his company to lose hundreds of millions of dollars. Despondent, humiliated, and then dumped by his girlfriend, he even contemplates taking his own life until he is called by his mother and sister and told that his father has died and he has to go to a small town in Kentucky to make the funeral arrangements. On his way, he meets a very quirky flight attendant (the enchanting Kirsten Dunst) who.

Doesn't sound like a romantic comedy, does it? But it certainly is! The relationship that blooms (pun intended) between the two young people is loving, real, and very touching.

Even more importantly, the film contains a powerful and very uplifting message for young people about failing in life. Just as THE WORLD'S FASTEST INDIAN illustrates that dreams never have to expire, ELIZABETHTOWN shows young people that failure is a part of life, particularly for those who dare to venture down uncharted paths. Admitting one's failures to the world, and, most importantly, to oneself, is one of the hallmarks of wisdom. Failure at a job or relationship does not make us a failure; rather, it means that we are fulfilling our mission on the planet. Trying. Learning. Evolving.

ELIZABETHTOWN was savaged by most mainstream critics, but I found it to be enchanting, entertaining, fun, loving, whimsical, and totally charming. Add to all that a wonderful message about courage and perseverance, and you have one of my favorite films of 2005.

Amen to that.

:hug: to Stephen Simon.

It's great to see a critic who is willing to express his own personal view of a movie, even when it disagrees with the "official wisdom."

It's interesting that he's the first critic I've seen who focused on failure -- rather than death or the Drew/Claire relationship -- as being central to the movie. Evidently, this is what helped the movie to "work" for him.

That is a great article by Stephen Simon. :yahoo: Thank you very much for sharing this with us and to Stephen Simon for putting Elizabethtown on his Top 10 list. :hug: It is great to see someone like him appreciate this wonderful film and I agree with everything he said. :2thumbs:

Kim

INDELIBLE IMAGES

Yes, that is one image that I will never forget. Orlando talking to his Dad and telling him how they should have taken this trip earlier and how he breaks down while remembering his Dad. That is so touching, I got all teary-eyed myself watching him.

Kim

9. Elizabethtown- This story follows the journey of a young man whose father has just died and whose career as a shoe designer is in shambles. When he heads to Elizabethtown to attend his father’s funeral, he rediscovers himself and meets a spunky woman who teaches him how to truly enjoy life. Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst both exude charisma in their roles and share great on-screen chemistry. Although largely underrated by most critics, “Elizabethtown” is one of the best films Cameron Crowe has ever made.

This is absolutely terrific. I am so happy to be reading all these wonderful things that these critics are saying about Elizabethtown. Its about time it is finally getting the respect it deserves. I just love this movie and I thought Orlando and Kirsten were wonderful in this, they did an excellent job and I loved listening to Orlando's American accent, he did a great job with that. :wub:

Kim