Sign in to follow this  
HeySailor

Tom Petty

A track from Elizabethtown has received a Grammy nomination this morning in the field Film/TV/Visual Media, Best Song Written for a Motion Picture catagory - Tom Petty for writing "Square One."

His competition is "Believe" from The Polar Express. "Cold Wind" from Six Feet Under Volume 2, "Million Voices" from Hotel Rwanda, and "Wonka's Welcome Song" from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

The 48th Annual Grammy Awards will be held Feb. 8, 2006 at the Staples Center in LA. CBS will carry the television broadcast in the US.

Complete List of Grammy Nominations

No contest, IMHO. I'm looking for an Oscar nomination as well.

*Daydreams of Drew dancing in the trees, one arm in the air*

This is good news! :cheer: Hopefully, this is just the beginning. Go, Elizabethtown!

That's great! I didn't realize it was an original song. The music and lyrics really capture the movie perfectly, and the image of Drew dancing and finding peace is my favorite in the film. "Believe" might be tough to beat though, it's not nearly as original but very much like all the Disney movie songs that have won in the past.

Right on! I love that song and I love Tom Petty. I bought the soundtrack and it is amazing, very powerful. And, yes, hopefully this will be the first of all kinds of nominations for Elizabethtown and everyone involved! :)

I agree with Jan! No competetion here. The other ones are way out of league!

This makes me so happy because this song was my favorite on the album. I didn't know it was an orginial song either. Tom Petty and Square One definitely deserve this nomination! :cheer: Great news! Thanks for sharing!

Lori :hug:

Wow!, that is terrific news. I am so happy to read that the song was nominated for a Grammy. I was hoping the Elizabethtown soundtrack or one of its songs would be nominated. Now lets keep our fingers crossed that the Academy nominates the soundtrack for an Oscar. It certainly deserves it. And so does the movie.

I have loved that song since I got the soundtrack back in October. I usually set it to repeat several times. :whistle: To have it nominated for a Grammy award is icing on already delicious cake.

Now I'm waiting for the Oscars to hand out some Elizabethtown nominations. Best soundtrack would be very nice. Best Actor even better. :wub:

Beth37

Like everyone has said thus far, this is great news indeed. I'm so happy that the song, Mr. Petty, and the soundtrack were recognized. And given the competition, I just know it will (very deservedly) win. It's the most original one of those, IMHO. Congrats to ETown, the little gem that could! :clap:

The winner in bold:

Category 82 - Best Song Written For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media

* Believe

Glen Ballard & Alan Silvestri, songwriters (Josh Groban)

Track from: The Polar Express

* Cold Wind

The Arcade Fire, songwriters (The Arcade Fire)

Track from: Six Feet Under Volume 2 - Everything Ends

* Million Voices

Jerry Duplessis, Andrea Guerra & Wyclef Jean, songwriters (Wyclef Jean)

Track from: Hotel Rwanda

* Square One

Tom Petty, songwriter (Tom Petty)

Track from: Elizabethtown

* Wonka's Welcome Song

John August & Danny Elfman, songwriters (Danny Elfman)

Track from: Charlie And The Chocolate Factory

I'm actually a bit disappointed that Tom Petty didn't win the award. Although I haven't heard the other songs I was convinced that "Square One" would be the favourite in that category. I absolutely love this song. But I think the nomination as such is still a very positive thing for E-town.

Nonetheless congrats to Josh Groban. :2thumbs:

His song "Remember" of the Troy soundtrack is absolutely phenomenal.

:wave: Doris x

PS: I still hope for the Oscars!

PS: I still hope for the Oscars!
Doris, we've already found out that neither the score nor any songs from ETown were nominated. :(