Kira

30 posts in this topic

One of the first round of award nominations for 2005 was released yesterday - the Satellite Awards, given out by the International Press Academy. Never heard of them? Neither had I until a couple of days ago. :lol: Anyway, their nominees are pretty random and they don't really factor into the Big Ones (Oscars, Golden Globes), but they're fun in their randomness. And this year, KOH got some love:

Actor in a Supporting Role - Drama

Edward Norton - Kingdom of Heaven (Fox)

Visual Effects

Tom Wood - Kingdom of Heaven (Fox)

Art Direction & Production Design

Arthur Max - Kingdom of Heaven (Fox)

Costume Design

Janty Yates - Kingdom of Heaven (Fox)

Satellite winners will be announced on December 17.

Guest Mechev

It`s funny in the supporting award, Edward Norton is nominated but he is isn`t even listed in the movie, I would have though that Liam Neason or Jeremy Irons could had been nominated, not that Edward didn’t do a good job, he was spectacular, but if someone that gave a performance hide behind a mask is nominated, then I don’t understand the parameters this people use to nominate an actor.

Thanks for his info, is aside from this that calls my attention is good to see KOH getting some nominations.

Edward Norton was fantastic, considering the depth of emotion you got from him - WHILE WEARING A MASK. Just amazing. I never heard specifically why he wasn't listed in the credits, but that is usually the actor's call.

Of course, for me, he steals just about any film he's in.

I do believe KOH will be nominated for the Academy Award for Costumes, and possibly Art Design.

Thanks, Mel. :)

ETA: Not that I'm sure it would happen, but I did check the Academy rules - it says nothing about uncredited roles:

1. Reminder lists including the casts of all eligible pictures shall be sent with nominations ballots to all active members of the Academy Actors Branch who shall vote in the order of their preference for not more than five acting achievements in each category: Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role, Best Performance by a Actor in a Supporting Role, Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role, Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role.

2. The five acting achievements in each category receiving the highest number of votes shall become the nominations for final voting for the Acting Awards.

3. A performance by an actor or actress in any role shall be eligible for nomination either for the Best Performance in a Leading Role or for the Best Performance in a Supporting Role. If, however, all the dialogue has been dubbed by another actor, the performance shall not be eligible for award consideration. Singing which is dubbed will not affect the performer's eligibility unless it constitutes the entire performance. The determination as to whether a role is a lead or support shall be made individually by members of the branch at the time of balloting.

I heartily agree that Edward Norton deserves an award for his performance. This is not to say there aren't other award-worthy performances in KoH. :whistle:

As for costume design, I'd certainly want Janty Yates to win, if only for that maroon tunic Balian wore when visiting his dying father. I gasped the first, third and umpteenth time I saw it. But then Orlando has this effect on me. :smoke:

Small this may be, but perhaps it's a harbinger of bigger things to come.

Beth37

I too think Edward Norton deserves a nomination. Despite that heavy mask, Edward managed to convey all the depth and emotion of the tragic young King. I consider Edward to be one of the best actors of his generation working today. And dare I hope ( OK, I won't even go there ). :zip:

I've told people who were skeptical to see the movie for Ed Norton's performance if nothing else. He was so powerful! Definitely deserves awards for that performance!

He's listed in the credits I checked. When I originally saw the movie I couldn't place the actor but I knew I knew him so we stayed until I got Ed's name.

:snowman:

I just checked and the score is also nominated, which pleases me no end, as it is a personal favorite of mine.

Original Score

Harry Gregson-Williams - Kingdom of Heaven

And I agree with all the Ed Norton love here. He was excellent and heartbreaking as Baldwin, one of the main reasons the film worked so well.

I just checked and the score is also nominated, which pleases me no end, as it is a personal favorite of mine.

Me, too.

The soundtrack has a place of honor in my car -- which is where I listen to music.

I hate seeing genuine accomplishments overlooked just because the movie in question was a critical or box office disappointment. Certainly, KoH should be nominated in some of the technical categories, and I would vote for Ed Norton, too.

I'm so glad that Harry Gregson-Williams is getting a nomination for his work in KOH. It was fabulous! As an avid John Williams fan, as far as movie scores go, there hasn't been anyone to compare with him until now. With HGW's work on KOH and then Narnia, I think he certainly deserves the award. I'm referring only to orchestral scores here.

The winners of the Satellite Awards were announced today and Kingdom of Heaven won one. Ta da.

Original Score

Congratulations to Mr. Gregson-Williams. It is an absolutely beautiful score and deserves many more accolades.

For the official list of winners, go here.

Congrats, Harry Gregson-Williams! :clap: And thank you for letting us know, Patty. :santa:

I'm so pleased about this. I don't often buy soundtracks, but I had to have this one. It's great to see KOH get recognized in any way and this is well deserved.

:clap:

Krissy

I'm really pleased about this aswell. I love every piece of music from Kingdom of Heaven soundtrack.

It's well deserved. :clap: Congratulations to Harry Gregson-Williams.

Thanks Patty.

The KOH Soundtrack is probably my most listened to CD, behind the Elizabethtown one (that is until the CD player in my car broke this week :( ). Congratulations to Mr. Gregson-Williams on a much deserved honor.

Oh my gosh, I feel sheepish. I never knew that was Edward Norton until I read this thread. :paperbag: Shame on me, guess I was paying too much attention to the other actor. I did think he did a marvelous job, I just never guessed it was Ed Norton.

This is great news. I love the KOH soundtrack. And I am sure I have heard bits of the theme tune being used for various things. One was a slow playback of a goal during the sports results last weekend, and I have caught snippets during tv commercials. B)

I love the soundtrack so I'm really pleased about this.

OK, throw those tomatoes if you wish... and where's that smilie when I need it.... but I've never really "got" the fuss over Ed Norton in KoH. He was good, I agree, but his performance didn't have the effect on me it seems to have had on many of you.

Oh well, it's all a matter of taste.

But to go back to the score, I agree that it was brilliant.

No tomatoes from me. I thought he was very good. The reason I've been so surprised that he hasn't received any kind of nomination is from the reviews when KOH was first released. In almost every review, whether good or bad, Edward Norton's performance was singled out as one of the high lights of the movie. Kind of makes you go :hmmm: .

The reason I've been so surprised that he hasn't received any kind of nomination is from the reviews when KOH was first released. In almost every review, whether good or bad, Edward Norton's performance was singled out as one of the high lights of the movie. Kind of makes you go :hmmm: .

I think this shows perfectly how fickle and unreliable critics are. I still think Edward did a remarkable job, though.

I think Norton's performance was praised largely because he was able to fully create an interesting and appealing character without using one of an actor's most important tools -- his face.

Edward Norton consistently receives high praise from critics but rarely any aknowledgement during awards season. To name just two great overlooked performances (besides KOH, so far) there's Fight Club and The 25th Hour.

Of course I do think he received nominations for his work in American History X . Another brilliant performance.

Now I see it's been announced he's going to be in Motherless Brooklyn. I will definitely be looking forward to that.

Motion Picture Sound Editing Nominations

Best Sound Editing in Feature Film:

Animated

CHICKEN LITTLE

TIM BURTON’S CORPSE BRIDE

HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE

MADAGASCAR

ROBOTS

WALLACE AND GROMIT: CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT

Foreign

BATMAN BEGINS

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY

THE CONSTANT GARDENER

DOWNFALL

HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE

KINGDOM OF HEAVEN

KING KONG

KUNG FU HUSTLE

Music

BATMAN BEGINS

CASANOVA

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY

THE CONSTANT GARDENER

THE GREAT RAID

KINGDOM OF HEAVEN

KING KONG

MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA

Music – Musical

LES CHORISTES

HUSTLE & FLOW

THE PRODUCERS

RENT

WALK THE LINE

Dialogue and Automated Dialogue Replacement

THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE

CINDERELLA MAN

CRASH

GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK

MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA

MR. AND MRS. SMITH

MUNICH

WAR OF THE WORLDS

Sound Effects and Foley

THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE

THE ISLAND

THE LEGEND OF ZORRO

MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA

SIN CITY

STAR WARS: EPISODE III – RETURN OF THE SITH

WAR OF THE WORLDS

FYI, the "foreign" bit refers to sound editing that wasn't recorded in the United States.

From Patty's post:

Original Score

Congratulations to Mr. Gregson-Williams. Your musical score for KOH was wonderful. A well-deserved win. :2thumbs:

And thanks Kira for the sound editing nominations. Hopefully, KOH will win some recognition there too !

:cheer:

Okay, this is slightly off-topic since it isn't KOH related, but. Return of the Sith?! :blink:

Granted the Sith DO return and in a BIG way, but. :lol: