HeySailor

Box Office Battle

Keeping 'fingers and toes' crossed that The Fog falls off as predicted and E-Town picks up steam based on what appears to be the generally-positive reaction of audiences who are now seeing the film!. Would certainly be GOOD news if E-Town can capture the #1 spot over this first weekend!

Guest Iris426

*sigh*

Tried to go at around 8 so that I could gauge the true Friday night crowd, but my mom kept pushing the time back until we had to settle for the 11:15 showing. They had it in one of the larger AMC theatres near the front, but at showtime there were only about 15 or so people in the theatre, including ourselves. :( Most of the fall movies usually don't have filled theatres, however; it's usually a slower season, so I'm hoping that even with a low gross Elizabethtown might be one of those sleeper hits that hangs around on the top 10 for awhile, even if it doesn't quite claim the top spot.

Had to wake my mom up THREE TIMES! Sheesh! :rant:

Guest drakius

Saw the movie for the second time this afternoon. Went last night for a 7:00 PM showing in a smaller theater that was about 2/3 full, made up primarily of younger (20s and below) people.

Today went to a larger theater for the 1:00 PM showing. There were only about 25 people in the audience, though out of that it looked like only three were below the age of 30. This audience was mainly couples and even a couple of single males.

The low attendance would seem a bad sign but we had very bad rains earlier today in Massachusetts, which might have kept people from venturing out. When I pulled into the parking lot there were very few cars and when in line to buy my ticket the man in front of me, who was attending another movie, said to the ticket seller that he was surprised there were so few people around. So apparently no movie was drawing people to the theater for the early matinee in Leominster.

However, the audience for this showing seemed to appreciate the movie so much more than the audience last night. Perhaps it was the age of the audience. The themes of losing loved ones or growing apart from families or experiencing failure in the workplace are all themes that would probably resonate more with adults than teens.

Right here's the plan for my Monday-

Utilise my Free Printing Privileges, head up to the library and use the beejesus out of the printer and photocopier to print a ton of Elizabethtown Flyers- Every table in the college will see one, every notice board will bear one, and if anyone asks if it was me, I pull the innocent “ Who? ME!?” face.

Oh! And a few full colour copies for the college lobby. I am launching WAR on the public subconscious! Come November 4th, my town may as well BE Elizabethtown! :ph34r:

There is still so much promotion we can do! Just have to get creative with it now. :wink:

Never underestimate word of mouth. Especially if you have a big mouth! :w00t:

I still believe! This film is going to whip that box office in to shape! :whip:

x Claire

Oh that is awesome, Claire! What a wonderful plan you have! I was going to say that if anyone asks you if you know who put up the flyers, that they don't don't you very well to they! :lmao:

I went to the 11:30 showing once again today before work. I would say that the theater was on 50% full. All women except for on older couple. All of us were 30 or older. One group of 20 somethings. Lots of laughter once again. I think I laughed more this time than yesterday. I think I enjoyed it more the second time too. Everyone there seemed to have liked it. While we were all leaving, there was a women that said, "That Orlando Bloom is quite cute isn't he?" And I could help saying, "Ah Ya!" And as I was walking away I say that he is WAY more that cute. She was probably about 35 or so.

Has anyone else worn their Ale8 t-shirts when seeing it like I did? :paperbag:

Ok, so I went again today to the 1:00 pm showing and the 4:35 showing. Whew, my butt is tired from sitting in those seats but it is well worth it. :wink: Both shows were pretty full. Again, a lot of laughter. The 4:35 audience wasn't as good as the others though. This one woman kept laughing at inappropiate times, like when Drew is crying in the car. :blink: And two girls behind me talked through the whole movie. I sat there and suffered their stupidity for Orlando though. It seems to be doing very well in Kentucky. I have now seen it 4 times and plan on at least one viewing tomorrow, two if I can manage it again.

I'm staying positive on this one. Even if it doesn't grab the top spot this weekend it will come in second. The Fog will surely drop off by next weekend. Then Elizabethtown can take over the top spot. I Believe! :comeon:

I'm waving the flag Cameron!

~Ivy~

I went to the 12:45 showing today (and will go again tomorrow). I live in a very small town (pop 20,000) and the cinema has 7 theatres. There were about 25 people in the audience and I thought that was impressive for an early matinee. Most were 20s-30s and female, but some were older. Everyone laughed in the appropriate places and there wasn't any extracurricular talking. I took my 75 year old aunt, who seemed to really enjoy it and on the way home kept saying, "That Orlando Bloom is really rather good looking, isn't he?" :lol:

I also would like to know where they are getting this information. Me and my Mom are going to see Elizabethtown tomorrow and I am 37!! I have a friend that has been looking forward to seeing this, and she is in her 40s!! It really irritates me when I read these reviews and things like that. I looked at the Box Office Prophet link and it got me so angry with what they were saying!! :rant:

I was wondering to myself how can these people be so cruel!! :( Well we still have time to prove these critics wrong and go out there and see this wonderful movie and help it become a successful movie and prove to these people that Orlando can carry a movie. He is one of the most talented young actors out there today and he deserves to be successful. :)

Kim

Your grandmother is too cute, starfire! I hope to have the same reaction when I bring my good friend with me.

My goodness, Ivy! :O I wish I had the time to do that. An E-town marathon sounds like a lot of fun! If only I didn't have this little thing called my job getting in the way. You may have the record, as of right now, for seeing it the most times so far!

Allie, I wore my Ale-8 shirt when MI and I went to see it the other night. We were talking with a few people afterwards and one of the guys (the manager, right, MI?) said, "Wow, your eyes are exactly the same color as your shirt." I grinned and said, "Yeah, that's one reason why I wear it." Then he actually looked at the logo and went, "HEEEEEEEY!" :lol:

Just FYI, Box Office Mojo has updated their numbers for Friday night - The Fog is now $3.95 million and Elizabethtown is $3.85 million. I like that drop for The Fog. :wink:

Okay, Candi, my best friend Beth and I went to the 8:30pm showing of Elizabethtown tonight. We had originally planned on the 7:25 show, which is the one Candi and I went to last night. But we decided to try a later show to see who and how many would show up. Elizabethtown was showing in two of the four largest theaters at the AMC Cantera Theather. These 4 theaters hold 600! I would say there were about 500 in the 8:30 show tonight. A good mix of ages and both men and women. Lots of good positive reaction and laughter.

As a side note, last night when Candi and I went last night those 2 of the 600 seat theaters were showing 'Elizabethtown' and the other 2 were showing 'The Fog'. Tonight 'The Fog' had disappeared to the back of the theater and 'Wallace and Grommit' the 'In Her Shoes' were in their place. Interesting.

I went on Friday night and I would say that the theater was probably 2/3 full at a 7:00 pm show. It also seemed that most of the audience at the showing were not the teeny boppers some people seem to think are the only people capable of appreciating Orlando Bloom. I would say the average age was probably at least 30 or more that I saw coming in. (Note: I got there early to watch and to get my preferred spot to watch movies in). I also might add that the Fog was getting out just after Elizabethtown was. It was showing in a smaller theater and there were maybe 40 people who came walking out. I was so happy!

I've seen it twice since the Chicago Film Festival. First time was the 1:00 showing in south Milwaukee with a 2/3 full theatre, mostly made up of seniors. Tonight I saw it in Gurnee Mills Mall theatre at 7:10 with a smaller audience. It was a very mixed group but more appreciative than the seniors seemed to be. One man I spoke to said he'd want to see it again. The friend I went with wants to see it again too!

I asked the ticket taker how it was doing and he said "very well".

I am debating on whether to see it again tomorrow or wait till next weekend. My funds are limited and I want to do it the most good.

I have to say that this third viewing was the best of all for me. I got much more out of the film. Perhaps it's because I no longer felt I had to memorize every one of Orlando's expressions. :rolleyes:

Beth37

I just came back from seeing ETown for the second time. I LOVED it, LOVED it, LOVED it. Something about this movie just rings true to me. Maybe it's Drew's "struggle" to find himself, and what's really important in life. And I am happy to say the 8:40 PM showing I went to was sold out. The audience reaction was very favorable, and a few said " I LOVED this movie!" I smiled hearing that. Here's to ETown! :cheers: I think if this has good word of mouth, it will be a surprise hit. Critics aren't the ones who dictate the box office numbers. It is the audience. And I am even hoping for some recognition come Oscar time. I think this one deserves it.

Guest jamie007

I want to see it so so bad! Haven't seen a 'coming soon' poster as yet in my country, so I might have a long wait on my hands. *sob*

Wish I was American!

Edited by the PEFIC for excessive punctuation.

I'm hoping to see it today. Between my job and and RL at home, I have very little time to call my own. I may just run away from home for a few hours. :naughty:

Guest jamie007

Oh dear, according to US daily Box Office estimates, The Fog is leading at $9.2 million for Friday and Saturday ticket sales, while Elizabethtown is behind at $8 million. Hopefully ka-bloomies' efforts will turn it around on Sunday.

Adrianne, That IS very interesting of the The Fog was moved to one of the smaller theaters. That is great that you can Candi go to see it again!

Kira, That is so COOL! I wish I had green eyes. :lol: Just kidding. I was hoping that someone would noticed mine but they didn't. I even made sure that my really long hair wasn't covering the logo.

It seems like The Fog and E-town are neck and neck. It should be interesting what next weekend will be like. I mena after the only so so reviews of The Fog. I have a feeling that E-town is going to have people coming back to see it again. The Fog will be once and then it will die. At least this is what I am hoping for.

I am now on a stretch of working because we have someone out on vacation. So Thursday, Friday and Saturday are the days I will be able to see it again. I hate to wait that long though. :( I miss Drew already. :lol:

Oh dear, according to IMDB, this is how it is so far.

1. The Fog (2005) $12.2M

2. Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005) $11.7M

3. Elizabethtown (2005) $11M

4. Flightplan (2005) $6.47M

5. In Her Shoes (2005) $6.1M

6. Domino (2005) $4.67M

7. Two for the Money (2005) $4.6M

8. A History of Violence (2005) $3.6M

9. Corpse Bride (2005) $3.46M

10. The Gospel (2005) $3.2M

Isn't it too early to post box office results yet? I thought they weren't posted until around 3-4 PM Eastern Time. And anything can happen between now and tomorrow, when the REAL box office numbers are posted. Julia, any insights?

I don't trust IMDB for numbers. Look to Box Office Mojo first for fairly accurate estimates.

Unfortunately the estimates are what is posted everywhere and yelled from the rooftops. If there is a switch it makes no difference after the first rush of announcements from the press.

If it's true, then it's very disappointing. The reviews had a devestating effect and the teenagers who are perceived as his box office draw didn't show up at all to his movie.

The only hope is that it doesn't sink out of sight next weekend and holds up with less than a 30% drop.

ETA: This is what Box Office Mojo is showing as well. Very disappointing.

Thanks, Julia. I remember when ROTK was in theatres, one movie ( I can't remember which one ) was supposed to have taken number one spot, knocking ROTK off the first place. ROTK fans were disappointed, but after that, on Monday, the results the opposite. We were all wondering what was going on, and it was later said that they hadn't counted Sunday night's ticket sales. So, ROTK regained its first place. I am not saying that would happen, but the results were posted way too early, IMO. And Orlando's teenage fans not showing up. I was surprised by that. Could some negative reviews have that much of an effect? :huh:

Suzie, box office results are always done this way. They take actuals from Friday and Saturday and then guesstimate Sunday's. They are usually very good at what they do. On the rare occassion there is showmanship and a way overestimated Sunday to make themselves #1 but only occassionally. They are usually very close in the ballpark with less than half a million difference if that much. Usually they are within a 100,000 or so.

So this is how it will probably end up although if there is something unusual for Sunday that would switch places, but I doubt it.

It's just very disappointing. If the few who saw it last weekend like it, it might make it to $30M maybe $40M with leggs. Next weekend will tell the tale.

But yes, apparently the disaster at Toronto and the extreme bad buzz and highly negative reviews did make a difference. I thought the teen girls would be immune but apparently not. They buy the magazines and posters but don't attend his movie is not a good thing in hollywood eyes.

I'm just really sad. I guess the only thing that can be said is that well, I loved the movie, and I was entertained. That's the best thing that I can say to anyone who puts out a movie.

ETA: Here is David Poland's take on it and he thinks it's not that terribly awful if you factor in the normal take for romantic comedies:

Elizabethtown is less of a disaster at opening than you might expect. A $12 million start could well lead to a $50 million domestic gross… if word of mouth is any good… especially among women. It seems the nicest thing anyone can seem to find to say about it is that it’s not as bad as they expected. But you never know. People write off Must Love Dogs, which grossed $44 million on Diane Lane and John Cusack this summer… and like Cinderella Man… that number is really pretty reasonable. If you look back at the last few years, the romantic comedies that broke significantly wider than that were rare and usually had something else going on… most notably a release date at Christmas or the spring. Hitch, 50 First Dates, Bringin’ Down The House, How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days, 2 Weeks Notice, Maid In Manhattan. If you are going to greenlight a romantic comedy and you don’t have Will Smith or Adam Sandler – it would be fascinating to see how Tom Cruise would do in one about now – or a hot star of the moment, you should have both a very clear marketing hook and a spring date. Or you should budget anticipating a total domestic gross of no more than $40 million.

All the teenagers I know are much too opinionated to be told what to think about a film. But maybe that's just the teenagers I know.

I think we also have to take in to account to date of release. It's getting to that time in the year where a lot of people are very busy. I can't speak for America of course, but I know in England this term is "The great coursework push", aka: 200 things to do.1 hour to do them all in. Or something like that. :rolleyes:

I mean it's coming up to halloween, if peoplr would prefer to have their pants scared off ,than seeing something truely inspirational, then they really need lives.

You know what's really scary? REAL LIFE is really scary- I wouldnt go see a film like "The Fog" if you PAID me, and I'm a film STUDENT. Scary film's are so overrated IMO.

The film festival circuit can bite me. "Elizabethtown" clearly means something to the people who have seen it! What does "The Fog" mean to anyone REALLY?

:rant: Narrowminded people make me so angry!

Here is to hoping the box office picks up, and the public WAKE up.

x Claire

I honestly don't understand moviegoers these days. A movie like Wedding Crashers ( I absolutely HATED this one ) makes more than 100 million, and movies like Cinderella Man and KOH make so little? And how about The Crash? Despite glowing reviews, Cinderella Man and The Crash didn't do well at all at the box office. And a movie with Adam Sandler does well? I honestly think our brain cells are starting to die and can only take in films that are gross and brainless. Paramount did its best to promote ETown, but those reviews from the film festivals! :rant: And yes Claire, I agree with you. It's about time the moviegoers woke up! :zap: We can only hope ETown has good word of mouth, and stays long enough at the theatres. As for The Fog. Generally, a horror film like that opens at number one spot, but rapidly loses its place. It just doesn't staying power. We shall see what happens next week. Nothing spectacular opens next week, but that Doom with The Rock might be a factor, with all that "let's blow them up" formula written all over it. But the week after that. The Legend of Zorro. That one is sure to take number one spot very easily. Oh well. Let critics and the box office numbers have their say. The truth is, I LOVE ETown, and I am not ashamed to say that. As matter of fact, am PROUD to say that. So there! :rolleyes:

I don't get it. :huh: How do they come up with these totals? I just came back from seeing Elizabethtown, which I absolutely enjoyed. And they already have the box office estimates for the weekend? I find that a little suspicious. What about the people that go see it tonight? Don't they count those ticket sales? Or do those matter? I am really feeling perplexed right about now. This is a great movie and it deserves to be successful. I can't believe this is happening again to Orlando! :angry::cry: I absolutely loved this movie and my Mom did too. :throb: And the showing I went to, it had a good turn out. Well all I know is that I loved this movie, Orlando was terrific and I can't wait for it to come out on DVD. Well no matter what happens I still love him.

Kim