HeySailor

Box Office Battle

Fresh from Variety (some boring parts removed by moi):

TOP STORY

Raking in some B.O.

'Fog,' 'Elizabethtown' aim for fall bounty

By Gabriel Snyder

While the fall has yet to produce a blockbuster like last year's "Shark Tale," which cumed $161 million after bowing with $47.6 million on Oct. 1, this season's crowded marketplace of mid-level successes, such as Sony's "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" and Walt Disney's "Flightplan," has kept the B.O. buoyant.

No one's expecting any giant openings from the three new wide releases this weekend, but respectable if not spectacular perfs should help continue the autumn's lead over box office in the year-earlier season.

Paramount is opening Cameron Crowe's "Elizabethtown" at 2,517 theaters over the frame, while Sony bows frightener "The Fog" at 2,927. New Line debuts Tony Scott's model-turned-bounty hunter tale "Domino" at 2,517.

"Elizabethtown" and "Fog" are vying for the top spot on the box office chart with openings expected in the mid-teens, while "Domino" is expected to come in slightly lower.

So far, "Elizabethtown," starring Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst, has been attracting most interest among femmes, particularly women under 25.

While most of this year's horror hits have been driven by femmes, interest in "The Fog" has been balanced between men and women.

"I think low teens would be good for us," Sony distrib prexy Rory Bruer said. "I have the sense of having some things going for us."

"Domino," a biopic of the troubled bounty hunter Domino Harvey starring Keira Knightley, is a bit of a wildcard.

"It's a very hip movie, and we did a lot of Internet marketing for it," said New Line distrib chief David Tuckerman, but he added that it was difficult to judge the pic's tracking. "We'll get the young guys, but there's also an older female element to it."

New Line had originally planned to release the pic Aug. 19. Shortly after Harvey committed suicide in late June, however, studio pushed it to the fall.

On the limited front, two pics that scored in their debuts will get expanded this weekend. Warner Independent Pictures is taking George Clooney's Edward R. Murrow biopic "Good Night, and Good Luck" to 58 fresh engagements for a total run of 69.

Samuel Goldwyn and Sony Pictures Classics' "The Squid and the Whale" will also get a boost in its second week, padding its run by 23 screens for a total of 27.

Elizabethtown and Domino on the same number of screens. The Fog on 410 more. Go early and go often to Elizabethtown. And take some friends and relatives along.

Well it is number one at our theater so far. It did 33 at 1:10 and 40 at 4:10. Next best was Domino at 17 and 18, then The Fog at 8 and 10.

I did walk in for about 20 minutes inbetween movies and they were laughing and enjoying.

QUOTE (MovieImp @ Fri, Oct 14, 2005, 10:26 PM)

Well it is number one at our theater so far.

That's probably because the customers at your theater have seen nothing but Elizabethtown posters for the last two months.

Well I am slightly over the 25 mark being 30 myself. There were older women. One with her hubby. 3 other pairs of women. And a group of 3 teens. I guess they ditched school to see it.

I went proudly wareing on Ale8 shirt. I looked for other that may be waring them. :lol: Lot of laughter. Great times. I agree with you Jules. We may not like the teens but we need them.

Go Elizabethtown! :cheer:

I went to the 7:25 showing with Candi. Lots of people there who seemed to really enjoy the movie. The audience was predominately, and I mean PREDOMINATELY female, of all ages. By the way, saw no line for 'The Fog' But there was a line for 'Elizabethtown' when we came out of our showing.

Guest drakius

Tonight this 40+ woman went with a 40+ friend and the friend's 60+ mother to see the movie, and though we may not have been the oldest in the theater, we were certainly in the minority. The theater was about 2/3 full with mostly teenage or 20-something women, with a couple of men thrown in for good measure.

I'll probably see it again tomorrow, and will definitely be seeing it again next Saturday with a group of about eight female friends ranging in age from 28 to 50+.

If nothing else, this movie certainly had a much bigger turnout than any of the four times I saw Kingdom of Heaven.

I went with hubby for a 7 pm show at the local 18-plex. Elizabethtown was shown in one of the big theaters to a crowd of.not more than 50. Couples (in the 20s-40s) and small groups of women (younguns and more mature ones). Only 2 teenyboppers.

It was definitely more fun watching Elizabethtown at the CIFF, shoulder to shoulder with moviegoers. I was watching tonight with either a bunch of deadbeats or morons a*** retentive humorless :censor: . This crowd didn't giggle once during the first part of the film; the first 100% laugh came at Samson's first shriek in midst of the bedlam and chaos at Aunt Dora's. There was a smattering of chuckles at the 'like lookin' in a mirror' a few minutes earlier - that must have warmed up the crowd.

By the time Holly Baylor hit her stride at the memorial service, my husband had let loose with the belly laughs, as did most of the others. B**** Bob brought down the house.

The music was way too loud at our Regal Cinema or it could have been that our seats were off to one side; it was very difficult to make out the dialog in many places and as a result, hubby had to ask questions a few times. As soon as he saw

Click For Spoiler
the stack of Spasmoticas at the 2nd largest fruit and vegetable market, he asked why there were they if they were recalled.

I wish that I could squeeze in another viewing tomorrow to help the weekend box but I'm heading out of state.

:doh: I figured out why attendance was sparse here in the Chicago suburbs at the 7 pm show.the White Sox had a play-off game (which they won. Go Sox!).

I'm going tomorrow again with Adrianne, Beth, and Rachal. And I'm going to probably go twice more with a friend each, hopefully next weekend. Who knows how many more alone! :P

Like Adrianne said, the turnout wasn't bad at our theater. But we had one of the bigger theaters. From beginning to end, everybody laughed at all the right places and seemed to really enjoy the movie. Let's hope that there's power in the word of mouth this weekend in regards to Elizabethtown.

Candi

:cheer: I just thought that was great, and wanted to share!

Thank you. I have merged this thread into the Box Office Battle one.

Well, I just thought I'd add my observations of the turnout into the fray. I saw Elizabethtown twice today. First show at 1 pm with my mom and a second at 7:15 pm with a friend. Both shows were pretty full with a mix of older couples, teenyboppers, middle-aged and a few smaller kids for good measure. Both men and women were there. There was laughter throughout both shows. All and all, it was pretty good turnout in my neck of the woods. But then again, I am in Kentucky and that could be the reason it did so well here. :wink: I plan of seeing it a few more times before the weekend is through.

WooHoo! :yahoo:

~Ivy~

It was a rather sparse showing when I went, but it was a 4:30 show, when most people are at work (and the younger crowd is barely out of school). Maybe 20, 30 people; I couldn't tell the ages because we were the closest to the front of anyone else.

But it was a quiet (meaning lack of boredom) and appreciative audience, laughing at the right times - including the times I didn't think they would (particularly Drew's reaction shots to situations). There will hopefully be more at the first matinee I'm hitting tomorrow. I would have liked to have waited a week, but I have to accommodate my friends, y'know. :wink:

Thank you. I have merged this thread into the Box Office Battle one.

Sorry Jupiter! Just wasn't sure where to put it in! :paperbag:

We went to the late show 10:40pm. It was sparce, but I'm assumming and hoping that the 7:40 show was fuller. It was an audience of mostly women. We all giggled and laughed at the right times. Of course I was crying at odd times, but that's just me. Hubby fell asleep towards the end. :angry: But I was glued to the screen and loving every minute! :wub: It is a great movie and hopefully it'll come locally next weekend so that I can go see it again!

Well did anyone go to a 7:00ish show that was near capacity? Anyone? I'm reading other sites and it sounds just as sparse in the audience totals.

Keep a look out at Box Office Mojo around 3 p.m. this afternoon for Friday estimates. If we are around $4M+ and #1 it should be on projection of $13M. Anything less, get out the worry beads.

I went to the 1 p.m. showing yesterday and took my mom. The theater wasn't filled to capacity, but it was a pretty good crowd. Keeping fingers crossed that it does well.

Well did anyone go to a 7:00ish show that was near capacity? Anyone? I'm reading other sites and it sounds just as sparse in the audience totals.

My 7 PM showing was about 60% full. Vast majority were female, ranging from late teens to mature women. There may have been 10 males in the theater, if that many.

I took my mother yesterday to the first showing and the crowd was around 20-30 people. I decided to help the cause and I bought a ticket for today's 4:20 at the local Regal. I need a reward after schlupping myself into work today after a two-day vacation. :P What better reward than a second trip to Elizabethtown.

My guy and I went to a 3:45 viewing of the film, the theater that we went to is small holds about seven screens and it was only showing in one. We live in Quebec but went across the bridge into Ottawa to see the film. Because it was a matinee the theater was only half full, but it had a nice mix of people. Mostly teenage girls who sat in the back, a few young adults like myself, and two or three older gentlemen sitting closer to the front.

The movie was well recieved by everyone. The funniest parts of the film added to the overall mood of the theater. One of the older gentlemen in attendance kept talking through the film like he was watching at home, and another young woman sitting behind me and my guy kept creening over her seat to get a better look at all the action. My guy kept on referring to her as 'a founding member of ka-bloom' due to her gasps and squees throughout the film.

Nelly :wub:

I went to a 6:15pm showing last night in Manhattan with our group of NYC ka-Bloomies, and the theater looked to be at about 70-80% capacity! It was very well-received, with a lot of scattered applause at the end (not just from us!). There was lots of laughter throughout (and plenty of gasps from Orlando's gorgeousness as well! :lol:). Mostly female audience, but a lot of men scattered around also.

I'm going to try my darndest to go again in the next few days. I'm grabbing the soundtrack today when I'm out shopping. I've fallen in love with this movie, so precious and so real.

Oh you bet I rounded up 9 nine girls to the 8:45pm showing at one of our area theaters. I think it holds 14 and E-Town had 2 for sure. I don't know about the rest because its a two story complex and I only saw the second story marquees. Of course, I could've looked while at the box office, but nooooo, I was too excited to get to my seat.

We had a really great crowd, completely diverse. We sat behind some older couples and next to a mother and daughter. Up higher were the teens and the dates. There were even about ten or so people up in the front, which usually fills up when the "bleacher" seating is nearly full.

Saw it in a theater at my local shopping mall around mid-day (3:45 p.m.). I'd say by showtime the theater was about 2/3 full. Saw a lot of 'older' folks (seniors), some couples, and a smattering of young adults/teens. It seemed pretty mixed as to male and female. From what I could hear/tell, it was well received with lots of giggles and outright laughter at all the appropriate moments. Susan's 'special bit' REALLY got them going!

I plan on seeing it again either tomorrow or early next week.

I went to an 8:45 PM showing last night, and it was sold out. The audience was enjoying it, judging from the laughter and even some cheerings. And after the movie ended, several ladies behind me started talking about Orlando, saying, " I LOVE Orlando!" I hope it is well received by the audience and does well at the box office. I honestly don't think I can take another disappointment like KOH. That film deserved SO much more than mere 40 million. If Wedding Crashers can make more than 100 million, what's there to say this movie can't? I am keeping my fingers crossed. I am going to see this one again tonight, not because it is an Orlando film or I want to add extra money to the box office numbers, but because I genuinely loved it. Yes, some parts are over the top and rather far fetched, but hey, with everything that is going on in the world these days, I would say the real world that we live in is even more crazy. I will take this movie over real life any day. :)

I went to the 9:00 show last night with my boyfriend, my best friend, and her boyfriend. Don't think I can convince anyone else to go this weekend, but there's always hope for next weekend. :)

Our theater was pretty full. We got there fairly early so we didn't have trouble finding seats, but by the time the previews were over and everyone had settled in, we turned around and the theater behind us was nearly full and there were several people in front of us. I also know a lot of my other friends that wanted to see it this weekend, but they weren't sure if they were going or not.probably four or five girls. (Maybe I can go again with them!)

Friday estimates are:

Fog with 4.1M

Elizabethtown with 3.8M

Wallace & Grommit brings up third.

Unless it has a fantastic Saturday and from all accounts business is slow, it might make it to $12M.

Fog, however, may go down as it had a push late last night but buzz is awful on the movie with the kids.

I really have this feeling that 'The Fog' is going to take a dive. I'm going to the 7:25 showing of 'Elizabethtown' tonight with my best friend Beth and with Candi again. This is the same showing Candi and I saw last night. I'm expecting there to be a better turnout tonight, though last night wasn't bad considering it was one of the 4 'rock arenas' that it was shown in. Our AMC has 30 screens. The four in the main lobby are the biggest and it's where they show all the opening night/weekend movies.

Next week I'll be taking my daughter Rachal to see it.