zoe_bear

Elizabethtown: The Book

Hi Guys. :wave:

Well, the doorbell rang today and laying on my front step was something I'd forgotten I ordered (big surprise :shiny: ). Elizabethtown, in book form. It looks to be the shooting script, and I can already see some dialogue that didn't make the final cut of the movie at the end. It also contains 19 pages of pictures, plus excerpts from Cameron's Filming Journal (which may explain why it disappeared from the website?)

Hopefully, it's ok to copy the introduction here, plus one pic that I don't think I've seen before. Here it is:

INTRODUCTION

by Cameron Crowe

Every movie has its own world, and its own language, but I've always held a special affection for the personal films that a director makes with no one looking over his shoulder, and only his private heart as a guide.

Elizabethtown began as a road trip I took through my father's home state of Kentucky. I hadn't been back there since his funeral years earlier. At the time I was stunned at how his passing brought out the best in everyone around him, all the memories, the joy, the sadness, the laughter and the characters from our family's rich history came together in an uplifting explosion.

Returning to Kentucky, the story of Elizabethtown came pouring out of me . . . a story about the success and failure, life and love and death, and a group of characters who all learn in their own surpising ways what's it's like to truly be alive. It begins with an ending, and ends with a beginning . . . and the knowledge that sadness and disappointment is often a deeper personal victory in disguise.

And here's the pic:

Drew_Mitch_03.jpg

ZB :innocent:

ETA I'm going to scan the rest of the pics and post them over at my LJ. There are a few that look new to me, mostly candid and BTS stuff. Too bad the black and white reduces the quality so much. :(

Edited by zoe_bear

Angie, where did you get this? I'd love to have one, provided it doesn't cost an arm and five legs.

That's so cool Angie. So this is the screenplay? Hmm, I may have to look into buying this. Thanks for sharing.

~Ivy~

Angie, where did you get this? I'd love to have one, provided it doesn't cost an arm and five legs.

Amazon.com Liz, where else? :P

I really should buy stock in this company, I spend so much flippin' money there. :rolleyes:

Thanks Angie! Over to Amazon.com to get the ISBN number so I can have Barnes and Noble order it for me. The picture is gorgeous!

Angie, thank you so much for filling us in on this little gem. It sounds wonderful. The picture of Orlando is absolutely gorgeous. I must get my hands on a copy.

Nelly :hug:

Ok, I just ordered my copy of the book! Should be here by next week, I can't wait!

I'm going to have to get a second job just to cover my fast-growing Etown/Orlando obsession!

For anyone who wants to see the rest of the pics from this book, including the cover, they are posted at my LJ. Enough of them are duplicates of ones that KaBloom already has in Hi-Res that I don't think it's worth taking up the space here. However, if you'd like to take a gander, PM me and I'll give you the link to "The Cat's House," which is the title of my LJ. (Oh, and you'll get a chance to see some of Molokai's fabulous work, as she made my current banner. :shiny: )

We have a couple, maybe more, of the new pictures in color and HiRes; my book came yesterday, but I didn't have time to scan them. Or upload the pictures to post. :lol:

After seeing the movie, I know I have to add this to my collection. A second job doesn't sound like a bad idea at this point.

Maybe I can get a flight attendant job, hmmm.Louavulle.

Zoe_bear, I absolutely adore your siggie! Molokai does an outstanding job!

Ok, my book came in the mail today! I'm so excited, I can't wait to start reading it. I've never really enjoyed reading screenplays, but I think I will make an exception for this one.

So where is everyone getting this book? Online? I have looked in like 3 different bookstores and can't find it anywhere! :angry:

AllieCat, I ordered it from Amazon. I also ordered the Elizabethtown Score by Nancy Wilson. They arrived today! I can't wait to start reading the screenplay. It's a small paperback, but has some pictures, too (in black and white only). I've already loaded the score into my iTunes :pulp: . I just love all the music that Nancy Wilson has written for the movie.

Thank you, Faye. I have the KOH book so I thought I should have this one too. It seems like I will be ordering the score online too.

I just got an early Christmas present. Yes, the book! I fell in love with it at first 'read'. I am kind of glad some of the scenes were cut such as the encounter with airport security, but I do wish more of the interaction between Drew and the other characters such as Claire and Jessie had been left in. The book is the perfect way to ease the wait for February.

Oh, the best part about the book coming today was I was home alone where I could enjoy reading with no interruptions. Having a box of chocolate covered cherries made it perfect.

Guest Kayla

Glad to hear the book is available, It's on my shopping list now.

Anyone know if It's being released in Australian book shop's?

Hi everyone.

I ordered this book and the soundtrack a couple of weeks ago from

Amazon.co.uk and they said it should be delivered between 6 - 14 December.

It has not arrived yet, so I am going to chase them up. Glad you are enjoying

it. I know I will when mine arrives.

Good reading folks. and thanks for the scans.

Snowfairy

I've just checked with Amazon.co.uk and orders are delayed until

24 December for the book 'Elizabethtown' and a couple of other

items I ordered and the 'Elizabethtown' soundtrack has been put

back to 29 December.

I think they are having problems. If anyone has anything on order

you will probably have to wait a bit longer.

Cheers

Snowfairy

I've been reading my book again, and I have a question for any one who may have seen Elizbethtown before it was re-edited. I read about a certain scene in Cameron Crowe's journal and thought how funny it sounded. It wasn't in the theatrical release, but could you tell me if it was in the first version? I would love to see it.

Click For Spoiler

Drew is supposed to be staying with Jessie during his stay in Etown. The first night between the noise of Jessie's son, Jessie's 'date', and the wind outside his window, Drew can't sleep and ends up at the Brown Hotel. I hope it's in the extended DVD.

Serendipity, I don't know about the first version, which was screened at one of the earlier Film Festivals (I can't remember if it was screened at Toronto or at Venice or both). I only know about version 2 and version 3. We saw the 2nd version at the Franklin TN Premiere, and it wasn't in that version. The theatrical version was actually the 3rd version of the movie.