ka-Bloom.org Forum

Teen Hollywood.Com

This is one of the nicer and more complete interviews with Orlando so I brought this one over:

Discovering the USA with Orlando Bloom

by Lynn Barker  10/11/2005

When we last chatted with mega-hot Orlando Bloom we were on the phone and he told us about putting a leaf down Elizabethtown co-star Kirsten Dunst’s shirt so she’d think it was a bug. His dog Sidi could be heard sniffing in the background. We got the pleasure of chatting again with Orlando in person recently in L.A. while he was on a break from his “Pirates” films.

With long hair and “Pirates” goatee, the mega-star looked dashing in dark brown shirt with rolled-up sleeves and casual pants held up by a fancy inlaid belt buckle. Newsflash! Orlando wears boxers! No, wait… hold up.we only know because of the low slung trousers and the fact that the actor likes to lean back in his chair relaxing with arms up behind his head.thus the preview of the top of the boxers.

Getting serious now, the romantic comedy Elizabethtown is warm and funny but also deals with the serious issue of a death in the family. Orlando told us about his own sad family experience, all about the enlightening and funny road trip he and Sidi took across America back to L.A. after he wrapped the movie and learning to speak with an American accent. We always enjoy the fact that the self-deprecating actor constantly admits that he’s still got a lot to learn and is happy to be in learning mode. Climb into the Orlandomobile and we’re off…..

TeenHollywood: No Sidi with you today?

Orlando: No. He’s in the Bahamas. He’s in the islands enjoying the sun. (Where Orlando is shooting “Pirates” 2 and 3).

TeenHollywood: Ah, lucky Sidi. Johnny has always said he based his Captain Jack Sparrow character on Keith Richards of The Rolling Stones. Is he going to be in the next Pirates films?

Orlando: Yes. He’s set to do it but right now he’s on a world tour.

TeenHollywood: Oh to Elizabethtown. So what was it like filming in Kentucky and across the U.S.?

Orlando: I gotta tell ya, as a Brit, I’ve experienced New York, Los Angeles, Miami, I've been to the big cities in America but I never really understood what it meant by the Heartland of America or Southern hospitality. Making this movie, going to locations like Oklahoma City, standing in front of the survivor tree, going to Memphis and standing in front of the Lorraine Motel (where Martin Luther King was shot) or just standing on a beautiful bridge across a river in Arkansas, I was like ‘wow, I get it. It’s a whole open door policy. People baking cookies and cakes and bringing them to set and giving us ice cream and stuff. It’s insane. It takes a lot of love to do all that stuff.

TeenHollywood: Your character takes a meaningful road trip in this film. We’ve heard that you took your own road trip back to L.A. after finishing the movie. Was that a cool adventure for you?

Orlando: I went on my own road trip from Scottsbluff, Nebraska I drove back to Los Angeles, a couple of days’ drive just me and my dog. I remember driving up through Colorado, as the Rockies hit. These mountains come up so fast! I’m in a car with my dog and a road and I was like ‘Dude!!’ The pioneers, now there’s a whole new respect. It was intimidating just being in a car let alone doing it with a horse and cart. It made American more real to me. When you pass through a place, you feel a part of the landscape. You are moving through it. Utah was barren and desert and beautiful. The landscapes went from lush, green plains coming out of Scottsbluff into the mountains, through the desert and back to L.A. I really felt like “Wow!” No phones, no cameras.

TeenHollywood: So nobody recognized you when you pulled over to a gas station?

Orlando: It was funny. I pulled over and went to a beautiful canyon, it was like Black Rock Canyon or something. It was just unbelievable. There was a family just standing, taking their photos so I took some photos in front of the canyon with them which was funny. It was like ‘oh, [you’re him] okay, cool’. I don't think you see America portrayed in movies like it is in this movie. This is an America the world needs to see right now. It’s cool.

TeenHollywood: Did you wish you took the trip before you made the film?

Orlando: I gotta say, in some ways, I wish I had done the trip before I had done my scenes. But in other ways, I got to experience some of that road trip feeling. When we arrived in Kentucky, me and Cameron [Crowe, the film’s director] took a video camera and drove around Kentucky for a few hours or more and ran out of gas. We pulled over to a petrol station and somebody tried to save my soul. When he found out I was from Hollywood, he was like, ‘you definitely need your soul saved’. I was like, ‘I'm actually not from Hollywood’. But anyway it was funny. Cameron was like, ‘Have you seen Lord of the Rings?’ and the guy goes ‘no’. ‘Have you seen the Pirates of the Caribbean’? ‘No’. Well, anyway, he’s an actor and he works in Hollywood’. And the guy said ‘well, if he is from Hollywood then he needs to be saved’.

TeenHollywood: Was that kind of a humbling experience for you?

Orlando: It was awesome! It was just cool. He was just a real guy, a real dude and I love that.

TeenHollywood: Would you want to do another road trip where you see another part of America?

Orlando: Yeah, definitely. I think road trips definitely are affiliated with America because it’s the country for it. I would love to do that. Maybe from New York to L.A. or something. That’s a famous trip.

TeenHollywood: What music did you listen to while on your road trip?

Orlando: Cameron and his assistant dropped some music onto an iPod for me. I was listening to everything that you hear in the movie and then a whole group of more crazy, eclectic stuff.

TeenHollywood: Was it hard for you to do an American accent?

Orlando: Now that was great. Although there are so many different sounds within the American sound obviously, like there is in every country, there are different sounds. It’s not as easy as I hope it looks. I hope you guys felt it was believable. But it was something I worked on really hard. I had a great dialect coach and Cameron obviously writes very beautifully and specifically. He really captures Americana, the Americanism of those characters. So that was really amazing. If the character is American, I’m serving the character, then it was important to try and get that right. I tried to stay in it when I wasn’t working so that the sounds felt comfortable in my mouth. So that when I was speaking it was like, my voice and not some put on American voice. Other than that, we had time, which was a great luxury. Time is a very precious commodity on a movie set particularly. Cameron just gives you time. We worked at it for sure.

TeenHollywood: Your character embodies creativity and humor, even when he’s depressed. Can you identify with him?

Orlando: Yeah, definitely. He has that ironic view of life. Drew is a guy who is obsessed with success. We can all relate to that thing of, you know, you want to make enough money, so you buy a new house or a new car or a new bracelet or a new broach, [looking at my honkin’ big dangle earrings], new earrings. You are obsessed with that momentary happiness you get from being able to purchase something. And the truth is, you can’t take any of that with you when you go. His life lesson is that wake up call to life. He gets a phone call about the loss of his father and this huge fiasco and he just feels like his world is falling apart. His journey is to learn to appreciate and value his own life in order to be able to appreciate the family that welcomes him at the front door in Kentucky, to come to terms with the loss of his father and to ultimately, be able to fall in love with this girl and that all happens on this road trip, through the heartland of America, where he comes to terms with his sense of loss in his life and opens up to it. That is something that is really important to all of us. It’s easy to relate to.

TeenHollywood: Why do you think your character falls for Kirsten’s character?

Orlando: He would be mad not to. I mean, who does that? I’ve done mix tapes for people but she puts a map together and draws it right to you and allows you to experience your life. She’s like ‘go and live. Go and look at yourself, take this mirror and see the beauty that is reflected in it and around you, and live. Then, maybe you’ll be ready for me’. As for her, she’s not straightforward. She’s somebody that obviously gets too wrapped up in other people, probably because it’s easier than dealing with her own stuff. That’s often the way in life. It’s a process for her too, I’m sure. Making that map, she has her own journey of realization. He may not follow that map and meet her but she takes that gamble and it pays off.

TeenHollywood: Have you ever been pursued like that?

Orlando: I have been pursued like that. But, not quite like that.

TeenHollywood: Have you ever had a family tragedy where you have been snatched out of your own world and faced death like your character in the film?

Orlando: When my grandfather died, I had that experience of walking into a funeral parlor. I was young, 16. I just remember my mom opening that door and there was nobody in there except him in this coffin and I was at the door. It was the most maturing thing that ever happened to me. This image in an instant; life/death right there. I was like knocked back against the wall. I walked over to him and it took me 15 minutes to get three feet from him. Then I did that thing where in the movie, I touched his hand and sort of pulled it away because it was cold. My mom walked into the room and kissed him on the forehead and I was just like, ‘what are you doing’? It was a freaky experience.

TeenHollywood: Did that really traumatize you or did it help you?

Orlando: You only really learn to deal with life if you really learn to deal with death. Because we’re all gonna die. If you don’t look at death, if you don’t really understand that then it’s going to be this thing that’s always pending, always coming. Unless you can come to terms with the fact that we’re going to die, you can’t really grapple with the fact that we’re living this life. That’s something that also runs through this movie. That’s the cool thing. There are so many huge themes that run through this movie. It’s also a really sweet romantic story about a guy who falls in love with a girl.

TeenHollywood: Is a more “real” modern role like this with human issues more rewarding for you than the fantasy stuff or action/adventure?

Orlando: I never thought of myself as a guy who would be doing action/adventure movies. It’s been amazing. Thankfully, I have been doing action/adventure movies because if I’d had any more dialogue I would have probably made a mess of it. I still have a lot to learn in terms of subtle nuance of human interaction in drama in front of the camera. I am on that road. I really enjoy just speaking text, being a guy who is communicating what he feels and dealing with human interaction. I really enjoyed that [in this film] and I hope to do more stuff like that.I am certainly enjoying doing “Pirates” but it’s different when you have to just react to something, big setups or big explosions. There is a lot weighted on one tiny moment and there’s not a lot of time. This was a very different experience for me and I hope to continue to learn and grow, crafting my ability to get it right. It’s an ongoing process and I am thankful that I had training in drama school. But I still feel like I am still doing stuff in the public eye and I am learning. This is my first time doing an American role, my first time doing a contemporary theme, but I still have a lot to learn.

Ha! In your face all you critics who didn't like Orlando in this movie! How can you criticize a guy when he's openly admitting that he still has a lot to learn about his craft? I mean, I think this movie is very defining for him as an actor myself, but I'm partial. :wub:

TeenHollywood: Would you want to do another road trip where you see another part of America?

Orlando: Yeah, definitely. I think road trips definitely are affiliated with America because it’s the country for it. I would love to do that. Maybe from New York to L.A. or something. That’s a famous trip.

Do it! Do it! Do it!

Thank you for bringing this one, MI! Fantastic!

My favorite part was this:

Newsflash! Orlando wears boxers! No, wait… hold up.we only know because of the low slung trousers and the fact that the actor likes to lean back in his chair relaxing with arms up behind his head.thus the preview of the top of the boxers.

That was when I knew I would enjoy the interview because the interviewer has a sense of humor.

Well put, Liz!

I always love these TeenHollywood.com interviews because the interviewers ask terrific questions and they treat Orlando with respect. In return he always gives great answers.

Boxer peekage would certainly be a bonus! Who knows? Maybe there was a little tummy peekage as well! Lucky girl!

Do it! Do it! Do it!

I'm with you, Liz. Do it! Do it! Do it! :cheer:

'Somebody' had better tell Orlando that Route 66 ENDS in Chicago, not New York. (In one of the videos, he actually mentioned Route 66 by name. OO Orlando Overload - just can't remember which one. :blink: ) Besides, NYC? Been there, done that. Now Chicago, that's new territory.