Jan

Best Buy, Paramount and VH1 Promotion

Holy cow. We all have an appointment at Best Buy when they open on Friday!

From Business Wire (released by Best Buy):

Best Buy, Paramount Pictures and VH1 Take New Route to Cameron Crowe's ''Elizabethtown''

MINNEAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 6, 2005--

Shoppers to Receive "Sneak Peek" DVD; Mixmasters Can Enter "Elizabethtown's Ultimate Road Trip" Contest for a Chance to Win VH1 Television Appearance With Crowe

Leading consumer electronics and entertainment retailer Best Buy announced today it will launch an innovative alliance with Paramount Pictures and VH1 in support of the Oct. 14 theatrical release of "Elizabethtown," the new film from writer-director Cameron Crowe, starring Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst.

Starting Oct. 7 and while supplies last, Best Buy will offer customers a free copy of an exclusive "Road to Elizabethtown" DVD that includes 24 minutes of behind-the-scenes footage, interviews and clips from the film. Additionally, the companies have teamed with VH1 to offer a national contest in keeping with the story of the film, in which Orlando Bloom's character heads out across America on a road trip armed with a special playlist of music created especially for the journey.

In the "Elizabethtown's Ultimate Road Trip Contest," consumers are asked to plan the ultimate journey from their own hometown to Elizabethtown, Ky., making 12 stops along the way and choosing the best 12 songs to get them to their destination. Crowe will personally select the grand-prize-winning playlist and appear on an edition of VH1 Classic Jukebox with the winner.

The grand-prize winner will receive round-trip travel to New York City and accommodations for the filming of the VH1 Classic program, as well as a $1,000 Best Buy gift card and autographed memorabilia from the film. Twenty-five runner-up entries will receive an "Elizabethtown" gift bag including a $100 Best Buy Gift Card, the CD soundtrack to the film, an "Elizabethtown" T-shirt, and a VH1 Sweatshirt.

"Cameron Crowe has long been a favorite for Best Buy customers, who have supported him over the years by purchasing his movies and soundtracks," said Gary Arnold, senior vice president of entertainment for Best Buy. "Cameron uses a combination of music, words, and images to tell stories that resonate with all of us. We're proud to join with Paramount Pictures to reach out to movie fans. 'Elizabethtown' is a film not to be missed and we believe that fans will consider the DVD a must have for their personal collections."

"Best Buy is the perfect partner to help us get the word out to movie and music fans about this wonderful Cameron Crowe film," commented LeeAnne Stables, Senior Vice President Worldwide Marketing Partnerships, Paramount Pictures. "We are thrilled to have the opportunity to create with Best Buy and VH1 a fully integrated promotion that drives business for theatrical, home entertainment and retail."

Fans can log onto www.BestBuy.com/ElizabethtownsUltimateRoadTrip for an in-depth look at "Elizabethtown" and to register for the promotion. VH1 is promoting the contest on-air and on its website www.vh1.com, where music lovers will be directed to the Ultimate Road Trip entry page.

The Elizabethtown promotion is the latest in a series of promotional alliances Best Buy has developed in support of major theatrical releases.

About "Elizabethtown"

Paramount Pictures presents a Cruise Wagner-Vinyl Films production, a Cameron Crowe film, "Elizabethtown." A uniquely crafted comedy set in the key of life, "Elizabethtown" is the story of an unexpected romance that develops against the backdrop of a hilariously elaborate memorial. A life-affirming, comic fable that takes on matters of life and death in a surprising and heartfelt way, "Elizabethtown" is the journey of a young man turned in an unexpected direction and the woman who helps him brighten his outlook on the world around him.

The film stars Orlando Bloom, Kirsten Dunst, Susan Sarandon, Alec Baldwin, Bruce McGill, Judy Greer, Jessica Biel and Paul Schneider. Written and directed by Cameron Crowe, the film is produced by Tom Cruise, Paula Wagner and Cameron Crowe. Donald J. Lee, Jr. is the executive producer. The film is rated PG-13 for Language & Some Sexual References.

<Cut out all the info about the 3 companies and the legal stuff.>

Looks like #1, I'll be hitting Best Buy as soon as I can on Friday; and #2, I'll be planning me a roadtrip. 12 songs? No prob.

I'll race you! :shiny:

The irony of my roadtrip is that parts of it would actually be following the trip that they use through Arkansas and over to Kentucky. :blink: Twelve songs on the otherhand, not a problem.

Tonia

edit: I came up with my first stop. Dinosaur Gardens in Moscow, Tx. :rolleyes:

Edited by Tealle

Looks like I'll be getting up early to head to Best Buy tomorrow. I'm just curious, do you have to buy something to get this free DVD or just be there? I'm sure I can find something to buy if need be. :wink: Thanks for letting us know about this Jan. :hug:

~Ivy~

:hmmm: Looks like I'll be having an abbreviated work-out at the gym tomorrow morning. :flex: I want to get to Best Buy as soon as they open! If I have to buy something, no problem. There's always some DVD I haven't bought yet to add to my collection.

Thanks Jan!

B) Well I'll be there first thing in the morning, but I hope I don't have to buy anything as I am broke until 3:00. Think if I just go in and ask they will just give it to me? :huh:

Also, how many of you live in or near Mount Holly or Gastonia, NC? I would like to know my odds of getting one before I expose myself and young son to a mob, therfore, kicking sombodys butt :ph34r: !

Oh I am SO excited about this! I have a Best Buy like 5 minutes from my house and it's not a very busy one either.

I too am wondering if you have to buy something first to then get the free DVD. Does anyone know?

Guest TinkRBell427

Has anyone else checked out those websites? 'Cause when I look at VH1 I don't see the contest and at Best Buy all they have listed for E-town's promo DVD is that it will be available on the 9th or 11th. Does anyone know?

I'm probably looking in the wrong spot. Maybe the info will appear later today on the websites? :huh:

I do hope when I walk into Best Buy in 7 hours, they have what I want, or I will be beating people up :boxing: - :lol:

at Best Buy all they have listed for E-town's promo DVD is that it will be available on the 9th or 11th. Does anyone know?

I did see an "Elizabethtown Promo DVD" listed with a release date of 10/9 and a $12.99 price. There isn't any other information, I wonder if that's something different, or if they just put that price there to list something in that spot. :huh:

I haven't checked Paramount or VH1's sites for contest details.

Hee, I got a Best Buy gift card for my birthday. I'm hitting it at 11:00 this morning to have a look see.

You'll have to let us know if you find it! Then I can head out after the MTV show.

MB - It's called "the long way around". :lol:

I'm walking aka sneaking out the door now. I'll let y'all know something shortly.

Here's the deal. They are not available until October 9th (Sunday). I whined and the guy checked the computer. He had never heard of it although there is an end cap advertising the movie. Just getting him to do that was like pulling teeth. He said not until Sunday and they hadn't gotten them in yet.

This totally smells like lilacs in the springtime. They are open 11 to 7 on Sunday. I work 9 to 6 with no break. So I'm probably screwed about getting one of them. They are getting 128 copies.

:rant: That smells like lilacs in the springtime! I work 1-7 on Sunday more than likely and that's cutting it close for me. Thank you for checking on it, MI. I would have gone in like you, looking for it. :rolleyes:

Dang I just checked the Best Buy Canadian site and they are not offering it, it's only in the US. :(

Ohhh, that's too bad, but thank you for the information Rosalind! I'm actually going to be in Canada this long weekend and was wondering about Best Buy there. I'm afraid there will be no more DVD left at the one near my home in DC when I come back Monday evening, oh well, I'll check anyway.

Marina

I was sitting in the parking lot of my Best Buy this morning, hopes high, only to get the same bad news. I'm working on Sunday as well, so there goes my chance. :angry:

West Coasters, call your local Best Buy store! I just called mine to check, and they've had them for a couple of days. You do need to buy something, though. I'm heading down there right now!

Am I the only one that managed to get the DVD today. :huh: Well, I had to go all the way to Lexington this morning to get to a Best Buy. I got there right when they opened and asked the first sales person I saw. Of they were clueless so they took me to the DVD guy. He also looked clueless but said he'd check for me. Well, he went into the back of the store and came back empty handed. I was so disappointed that he said he'd look in one more spot. Success! He came back out with a rather small box of the DVD's. He said, "I didn't even know we were supposed to get anything like this." So he handed me one and said they were free and that I didn't have to buy anything else to get one. So I headed straight home.

Now on to the good stuff:

It has two trailers that we've all already seen(the one with Orlando's voice over and the short 30 second one they played during the VMA's), an interview with Cameron on Elizabethtown, The Journey to Elizabethtown, The Music of Elizabethtown, a special 5 minute first look at the film (one part was part of the phone conversation, which we've all seen and a short scene that I had never seen that is part of Drew's road trip. That's about all that I can tell you about it. I don't have a scanner or I would scan the cover but it's nothing new. I hope everyone gets a chance to get a copy of this. Good luck on Sunday everyone.

~Ivy~

Well I got one! I took an 'early' lunch and walked into the Best Buy around 10:10. I asked the guy sitting at the info center if he had the promotional DVD for Elizabethtown and he said they were still in a box in the back and he proceeded to get me one. The other clerks were oblivious though so I filled them in about the promotion of the movie and the 'road trip' contest. I asked them if they were going to do a display up front and they kind of just stared at me. :blink:

Julia I went to the Besy Buy at North Point, I wish I could have grabbed two but they only gave me one. I didn't have to buy anything, but I did look for the new My Morning Jacket CD but they didn't have it. I'm sorry I don't have a scanner, but the front is the picture of Drew and Claire sitting on the couch with the urn.

The DVD is titled The Road to Elizabethtown and lists the following contents:

Elizabethtown Trailer, Cameron Crowe on Elizabethtown, The Journey to Elizabethtown, The Music of Elizabethtown, Special 5 Minute Look at the Film, 30 Seconds in Elizabethtown. I won't have time to watch it though until this evening.

I went to my local Best Buy in the Chicago 'burbs and they looked at me as if I were crazy. The only promotion of Elizabethtown that I could find was a 18" x 36" cardboard advert at the top of one of the endcaps.

The 'greeter' in the front sent me to the DVD/Music area. Their Tuesday delivery truck had been unloaded but not unpacked yet. They searched around the store, checked the manifest, and checked on the computer before they went to the manager (with the BusinessWire printout that I had brought along). The manager said that they would have it NEXT Tuesday and that it would be mentioned in the Sunday advertising supplement that is stuffed into the Sunday newspaper.

Knowing that others have been able to get hold of it today, I'm going to keep calling them. If I don't get lucky before then, I'll be in Best Buy Tuesday to pick up KOH anyway; I'd just hate to miss out on this limited freebie.

Good luck to the rest of you!

Nuts. I'll have to make my trip after the MTV thingie.

The boy is running me RAGGED, I tell ya! :lol:

Guest daisy0802

Best Buys needs to get their act together. I went there this morning and got several copys. They were a pennie a piece. The cashier told me they have been selling them since Tuesday! This is the Best Buy in Louisville, on Outer Loop. They still had plenty left.

By the way I'm a newbie. I've been visiting this board for over a year. Thanks for all of the Orlando info for me and my girls! :wave:

:jacked: Not to thread jack or anything but what time is the Mtv special on today. It's possible that I've missed the post that had the time so if someone could tell me that would be great. Thanks.

~Ivy~

ETA: Nevermind, I found it and I had overlooked it. :doh:

Edited by oceanbreeze5