Ams

128 posts in this topic

I wasn't able to get to the theater to see KoH, but I did pick up my copy at Wal-Mart this past weekend.with the book. :shiny: As some others stated, I was surprised the 'bedroom' scene wasn't in the movie. So I started looking through all the extra stuff hoping to find it in a deleted scenes section. No such luck. Not even on the second disk. :( Well, hopefully, they'll do an extended version so we can have our bedroom Balian.

Guest tinkerbellbones

I was really impressed with it. I even made my boyfriend watch it and he liked it too. I didn't get around yet to seeing the extra features though. :yahoo:

I've watched it so many times now. As soon as the music starts, my heart jumps a little and I'm taken right into Balian's story. I know we will have extra scenes on the extended DVD next year, but I've noticed a few things on the behind the scenes dvd that make it hard to wait 'til then.

Click For Spoiler

I've mentioned once before, there are scenes of Balin at work, smiling as his wife dances outside the blacksmith's hut. There is also a scene after the death of his wife and child that show him burning baby clothes and a cradle in the forge. I could easily see why Orlando kept using the term 'nihilistic'. His performance was perfect.

Guest Lady Aleahria

Well, I'm a very happy LA right now. I just got my 2-disk DVD of KOH last night and already I've watched it twice. :blush: I have to say, I was really, really impressed by Orlando's portrayal of Balian. The first time around watching the movie, I was a little overwhelmed by all the history and my husband mentioned he thought it was a good movie, but it was more like a documentary (by his standards). After he went to bed, I watched it again. And, I really loved it even more. Watching Balian grow up from the first moment we see him until the end is fabulous.

Liam Neeson's portrayal of Godfrey was fantastic, no matter how briefly he was actually in the whole movie.

Click For Spoiler
"Defend the king. If the king is no more.protect the people." I think this helped 'make' Balian the man he became.

As was Jeremy Irons' portrayal of Tiberius. I hated Guy from the first moment, but again, was impressed by the portrayal. So, in all, after the second watching, I admit, I'm totally hooked. This one will be one of my "often watched" movies. (sort of like the whole LOTR trilogy).

I'm crossing my fingers that we'll soon be seeing the extended version out there and I'll be definitely getting it once it's on the shelves.

Click For Spoiler
One of my (many) favorite parts: "Does making a man a knight make him a better fighter?" "Yes." So simply yet importantly explained in that one, single word. And, the expression on Balian's face was such conviction!

Kudos to Orlando (and all the cast and crew, especially Ridley Scott)

Guest Mechev

I got my copy on Wednesday the day that this movie came out in my country, and I love this so much, I can enjoy it more, watching it in my tv mostly because I can watch and analyze every detail.

Some friends watched the movie with me in this days and they all liked it very much, they were surprised by it, they couldn’t believe how they lost their chances to watch it when it was on theaters, just because they though it would be boring. Luckily my parents went to watch in at the theaters, and they don`t watch a movie more than once, but this time they asked to watch the dvd and it was because my father who is actually a big “Gladiator” fan, thought that KOH was even better that Gladiator, and could had been fantastic if it wasn`t for the bad editing, I was surprised by that.

I think that after all, this movie will be the kind of movie that people will recommend to watch it, and will gain a big audience in the DVD market.

I just watched my DVD of Kingdom of Heaven for the fourth time last night and I loved it just as much as I did the first time I watched it. I am so happy that its doing great with the DVD sales and rental numbers!! :yahoo: And that people are finding out what a great movie this really is!!! :cheer: And I don't care what people say, I thought Orlando was excellent as Balian. :throb: That part where he talks to the people in Jerusalem before the battle and when he knights all the men, that really gives me goosebumps.

One other thing, the actor, Marton Csokas, that played Guy is the same one that was in Lord of the Rings, he played Celeborn (I think I spelled that right). The elf with Cate Blanchett. I couldn't believe it is the same actor, but it is.

Kim

Wow, lucky lucky ka-bloomies you all :cheer: . Here in Colombia the DVD was released last week but it is IMPOSSIBLE to buy it without expending an incredible huge bunch of money. It's a very 'rear' DVD, only ONE copy per store and the price is just.crazy.

Sigh. Some day I will be able to see those beautiful eyes in all the Extended, Special and Normal editions of every single movie.even LOTR.

Enjoy the fun for all the ka-bloomies around the globe. :hug:

Stardust.

Awww, Stardust! Where do you live? That's so sad that you can't get 'Kingdom of Heaven'. Did I understand you right that you haven't been able to get any of Orlando's other movies as well?

By the way, I just finally was able to purchase my copy of 'Kingdom of Heaven'. Had to wait until I had the funds. Now I can't wait to watch it for the first time. Probably Friday, on my day off. I'll be in the house by myself.

Awww, Stardust!  Where do you live?  That's so sad that you can't get 'Kingdom of Heaven'.  Did I understand you right that you haven't been able to get any of Orlando's other movies as well?

Yeah that's right Adrianne. The Only 'special' DVD I have is Pirates of the Caribbean because in one of her trips my mother buy it :rolleyes:, but that's my whole history with the DVD's. Oh! and of course the LOTR 'normal' trilogy, my gift to myself last chritsmas. I live in Colombia and all the Extended or no so 'normal' edition of any DVD are very rear. Kingdom of heaven is not the exception though, is a very expensive one.

Anyways, I'm very happy for all you lucky ka-bloomies. Looking at his performance in KOH several times must be an incredible experience.no doubt about it. :lol:

Stardust.

Guest indystreasure

Has anyone heard anyhting about when the EE will be released? I've looked on several sites and it seems there is not date for it. I read somewhere that the studio is shelving the EE. I can't remember the reason exactly but I think it was something really stupid. HELLO!!! It's the EE that everone wants to see! If you're wanting to make money, release it! Stupid greedy studios. :rant: OK i'm done.

Guest Mechev

In one of the resent interviews pormoting the DVD, Ridley Scott said that he expects to put in the market the EE early next year; that is what he said, on the other hand I don`t think the studio will have a problem with the EE now that the DVD sales are going well for the theatrical version of KOH; maybe there is a discussion in the realize day between Mr Scott and FOX; but who knows.

Guest catswhiskers

I had hoped it would be out by christmas.

I've been restraining myself from buying the normal one so I can by the EE.

Don't think I can wait much longer though.

I'm usually a wait for the EE kind of gal myself, but in this case, I couldn't wait. It's really wonderful to see it again and I'm still finding things I hadn't noticed before. The movie still totally keeps my attention, it's so detail rich and the performances are so good.

And if an EE comes out (Please!) I will be buying it too.

Aliza

I saw yesterday that it is still second in rentals, I just hope it's true. Here's hoping there will be an EE, it seems to still be on the minds of many folks.

This week there is a series on the History channel, called "The Crusades: The Cresent and the Cross". The characters didn't look like the ones in the movie, but it is good. Maybe it will be played again. I missed parts of it.

I just want to see what Ridley had in mind, you know?

This week there is a series on  the History channel, called "The Crusades: The Cresent and the Cross".  The characters didn't look like the ones in the movie, but it is good. Maybe it will be played again. I missed parts of it.

I just want to see what Ridley had in mind, you know?

Funny you should say that, ponycobbler. I'm at my folks house today and they have satellite and guess what was on? "The Crusades: The Cresent and the Cross". I had seen trailers for it and wanted to watch, but unfortunately missed most of it. Today's episode (no.4 and the last one) was mostly about the very incidents that happened on Kingdom of Heaven and then some. There was no mention of a noble blacksmith unfortunately, :wink: but everything else was spot on with what happened in the movie. Very interesting.

Cheers

CC :meow:

I saw part of it as well, in between various family interruptions, and it was very good. It seemed to me, though, that they skirted the whole issue of Balian and the defense of Jerusalem, which is probably just as well since I was a bit afraid they were going to say something like: "unlike current Hollywood depictions." kind of like they did with Viggo's Hidalgo movie. Guy de Lusignan came off as a jerk, no amount of history could whitewash what he did to lead up to the battle of Hattin.

I thought it was very interesting how they described the First Crusade, and the terrible things the crusaders did. And it was also very interesting that the stories of the Crusades and the barbarism of the crusaders are still told in the coffeehouses of Syria. Kind of explains a few things that are going on now, doesn't it?

That's one of the things I love about KoH. We so desperately need to talk about religion, what it can lead people to do, and what the is the history of some of the wars that are going on now. It's so sad when kids think history is boring in school! History isn't boring, it tells us exactly what we need to know now so that we can understand where we all come from and what our assumptions are. So we can avoid the mistakes of the past and all the suffering they caused.

Well, hopefully.

History isn't boring, it tells us exactly what we need to know now so that we can understand where we all come from and what our assumptions are.  So we can avoid the mistakes of the past and all the suffering they caused.

Well, hopefully.

I so agree with you ganymede. Unfortunately instead of learning the right lessons from the past, so many people seem to learn the wrong lessons, as in you bashed me so I will bash you. Why can't the learn from Saladin (I just watched KOH again yesterday) who tries to right the wrongs of the past when he regains Jerusalem. Balian says but the Christians slaughtered everyone when they took the city. And Saladin says "I am NOT those men." What a powerful moment, really the heart of the film.

Balian: What is Jerusalem worth?

Saladin: Nothing.And everything.

Balian: Who has claim? None have claim. All have claim.

This movie should be winning awards right and left. :rant:

OK, I'll get off my soap box now.

Aliza

I'm so in love with this movie. Orlando's performance, in my opinion, is just about the best I've seen, and I feel that way even though I know that so many of his scenes and the history of his character were left on the cutting room floor. I think when we see the extended cut that we will just be swept away but the brilliance of Orlando's performance. I'm sorry to all of you who want to see Orlando do more contemporary roles (I do too) but he was born to play the romantic hero. He simply looks like he belongs to an earlier time. There is something so galant and heroic about him.

Guest tarilinde

I made a decision a long time ago to buy both editions, as I did with LOTR, so I have been watching it, and I keep wishing for more scenes, so I hope they release the EE soon. I completely agree with what everyone here has said. Orlando's performance was incredible. He honored the emotional and spiritual depth of this character perfectly, and kudos to Ridley Scott for choosing him. It is completely beyond me why the critical acclaim is sorely lacking. The more I watch this movie, the more I see the brilliance of it, at all levels. The whole cast did a brilliant job, and Orlando lead them, with conviction! There is only one possible conclusion. The critics are jealous of our undying adoration, and they need to be spanked and sent to their rooms.

:zap:

Alright, I feel better now.

:zen:

The studio better release the EE version!! :rant: I can't wait to see the scenes that were cut out. And its suppose to show more between Balian and Sybilla in the EE. :hott: My friend, Linda, is holding out for the EE version. Because that is what she usually does. Hopefully where the theatrical version is doing so well, they will release the EE version. I think they owe it to Orlando and Ridley to release the Director's Cut after what they did to the theatrical release when it came out into the theaters!

Kim

The DVD was released last week here and I immediatly got it.

I love that movie. :throb: Orlando really proved that he's a great actor.

I also spotted a DVD magazine that had KOH on the cover. The article is more than positive and it says that KOH was very successfull here in Europe. Sadly the US visitors didn't quite connect with the story. The movie got 6 out of 6 stars. :cheer:

I have so enjoyed reading all your comments about the KOH DVD.

Alas, I was unable to go see it at the theatre, but my daughter - in - law

has told me she has bought the 2 disc version for me for Christmas. But she won't let me have it before. So after reading all your reports I am

looking forward so much to seeing it. I hope she realises that as we are

spending Christmas Day with her and my son she is also going to have

to watch it. Or else I shall go home early to watch it on my TV in my

workroom all on my own. I usually buy the DVD and Video versions of

films in case one or the other breaks down then I can still watch it if I want

to. But of course, with the Viedo you do not get the extras etc. I shall also

be getting the EE one when it eventually comes out.

Roll on the El;izabethtown release. Saw the film and absolutely loved it.

Bi for now

Snowfairy

Guest Galadriel72

I have a question: Are there any cut-out scenes on the DVD? I liked the film but I missed so much of the emotional scenes, which would have made the story much better, for instance the love story or Balian's grief over his tragic loss of his wife and child. When I watched the movie, I always had the feeling that somehow there was missing something. It was the same with LOTR 3, when the Extended Cut finally came out, the film was just perfect.

If there are no cut-out scenes on the DVD, I will wait for the Extended Version and just rent it.

Greetings from Germany,

Galadriel72

I have a question: Are there any cut-out scenes on the DVD?

If there are no cut-out scenes on the DVD, I will wait for the Extended Version and just rent it.

Galadriel,

The DVD is the same as the theatrical release. I am hoping there will be an extended video, but so far there's been no release date. :(

I own the current one, and will be getting any EE that comes out. Just like I did with LOTR. My whole DVD collection is Orlando related!

Beth37

Yes, the dvd is the same as the theatrical release. However, the second disk shows a lot of behind the scenes footage and there were scenes of Balian's wife and his grief over her death and his child. This doesn't mean they'll be in the extended DVD. One can only hope.