Ams

128 posts in this topic

I just have to say, did anyone else think that the special features DVD was highly disappointing? They barley gave us anything! I don't know, maybe I'm just used to the generosity of the LOTR staff. :lol: Any comments?

~Lita~

Amanda, unfortunately, that scene is on the cutting room floor. :angry: We hope that there will be an extended edition DVD and that that scene will be restored, but until then, we just have to see it in our minds' eye.

Aliza

Aliza! Don't give my mind's eye encouragement or it'll turn into the Eye of Sauron! :devil: :lol:

Guest Kayla
I just have to say, did anyone else think that the special features DVD was highly disappointing? They barley gave us anything! I don't know, maybe I'm just used to the generosity of the LOTR staff. :lol: Any comments?

~Lita~

The special feature's were very basic, it was sort of a tease. But in saying that, I really enjoyed watching what little of it there was.

I just have my finger's crossed for a special director's cut edition with extra feature's.

I thought that I was just expecting too much. I agree you with you girls about the special features sort of being in my opinion a dud. I was expecting some elaborate thing, and I got a normal special features.

Guest drakius

Just found this from Reuters:

'Kingdom' takes crown on DVD sales, rental charts

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Kingdom of Heaven" did on DVD what it couldn't do at the boxoffice: It became a smash hit.

The Ridley Scott-helmed epic about the Crusades, which grossed less than $48 million in its domestic theatrical release against a budget estimated at $130 million, topped both the DVD sales and rental charts its first week out.

The 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment release won an easy victory on VideoScan's First Alert sales chart for the week ending October 16, beating several other new mid-range theatricals -- including Universal's Will Ferrell-starring comedy "Kicking & Screaming," which fared better at the boxoffice but debuted at No. 6 on the preliminary national sales chart.

"Kingdom of Heaven" also opened with a bang on Home Media Retailing's rental chart for the week ending October 16, sliding into No. 1 with estimated rental earnings of $10.1 million, or 21.2 percent of its total theatrical take.

Other new theatrical releases that hit the chart in their first week in stores are Warner's "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" (No. 5 sales, No. 3 rental) and Universal's Jet Li actioner "Unleashed" (No. 3 sales, No. 16 rental).

Buena Vista's "Cinderella" remained an exceptionally strong seller its second week out, hanging on to the No. 2 spot on the DVD sales chart.

Two newly released TV DVD compilations also made the top 20 First Alert: "South Park: The Complete Sixth Season," from Paramount, debuted at No. 10, and Fox's "Arrested Development: Season Two" bowed at No. 12.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Kingdom of Heaven" did on DVD what it couldn't do at the boxoffice: It became a smash hit.

:clap: Now you're talking, drakius! There are more believers out there, silencing the naysayers with the sales, rentals and internation box office. :crusader:

Several people I work with and friends that hadn't seen KOH rented it last week or over the weekend and ALL of them have loved it. In fact, several of them said they'd need to see it again to take in the full story.

Hopefully the rental/sales will lead to more positive "word of mouth".

Thanks for posting that, drakius.

Wonderful! :yahoo: When I went ty buy the DVD at Best Buy last Tuesday, I was pleasantly surprised to see it doing well. One gentleman behind me just grabbed the DVD without any hesitation, as if he had been waiting for its release. Needless to say, I was happy. But why is that this article only mentions DOMESTIC gross, and not the international one? :oh: UGH! And forgive me for saying this, but dare we hope for some awards? :tomato:

If it doesn't win Best Costume I will be surprised, seriously. The costumes kept us informed about who was involved and what the mood was all the time. What other catagories would you think about? (The Obvious?) :whistle:

I read on here somewhere that Ridley thinks this is his best work yet, and after watching some of the others, I totally agree with him. I thought it at first, but had to check. If the film would get something, well, I can only hope.

I got two copies, one for the house and one to lend out. So far, three friends are getting their own after seeing it. Several more say it's the best thing they have seen in the past few years. Isn't this cool? So many to convert.

Let's keep putting the word out! :hug:

Speaking of converting people to the unjustness of the way KOH was publicised.

I don't know about you, but whenever there is a movie out that I'm anxious to see (or has been seen and loved), there are always a few specific people that I desperately want to like it too. Certain individuals that if are won over by said film, you will feel immense pride and yes, even smugness in the sense of "I told you it would be good." At work, there was one such person. A colleague who takes great delight in teasing me about Orlando Bloom and all his roles. Needless to say he never saw KOH when it was on circuit.

This morning he arrived and the first thing he tells me (knowing that I would love to hear) is that he saw KOH last night. And thought it was great!! :w00t: And went so far as to say that he although he noticed the choppy editing and lack of some character development, he actually thought that it had a better story than Gladiator. He was careful not to heap direct praise on Orlando (that just goes against the grain and would render mute his ammo for teasing me :lol: ), but I just know he really enjoyed the film. :shiny: He even went so far as to send me an article that he found some time ago and thought was very interesting. It's by a British journalist called Robert Fisk, who has apparently been living in and reporting from the Middle East for many years. And when I told him about the various story lines that had been cut I could tell he was very intrigued - he could be a good candidate for the EE edition.

All in all, it just made me feel great knowing that he enjoyed it, and that he was man enough to admit it.

I don't know if any of you have seen it before, but for interest sake, here is the article

Why Ridley Scott's story of the Crusades struck such a chord in a Lebanese cinema

Having lived in Lebanon 29 years, I too found tears of laughter running down my face

Long live Ridley Scott. I never thought I'd say this. Gladiator had a screenplay that might have come from the Boy's Own Paper. Black Hawk Down showed the Arabs of Somalia as generically violent animals. But when I left the cinema after seeing Scott's extraordinary sand-and-sandals epic on the Crusades, Kingdom of Heaven, I was deeply moved - not so much by the film, but by the Muslim audience among whom I watched it in Beirut.

I know what the critics have said. The screenplay isn’t up for much and Orlando Bloom, playing the loss-of-faith crusader Balian of Ibelin, does indeed look - as The Independent cruelly observed - like a backpacker touring the Middle East in a gap year.

But there is an integrity about its portrayal of the Crusades which, while fitting neatly into our contemporary view of the Middle East - the moderate crusaders are overtaken by crazed neo-conservative barons while Saladin is taunted by a dangerously al-Qa’ida-like warrior - treats the Muslims as men of honour who can show generosity as well as ruthlessness to their enemies.

It was certainly a revelation to sit through Kingdom of Heaven not in London or New York but in Beirut, in the Middle East itself, among Muslims - most of them in their 20s - who were watching historical events that took place only a couple of hundred miles from us. How would the audience react when the Knights Templars went on their orgy of rape and head-chopping among the innocent Muslim villagers of the Holy Land, when they advanced, covered in gore, to murder Saladin’s beautiful, chadored sister? I must admit, I held my breath a few times.

I need not have bothered. When the leprous King of Jerusalem - his face covered in a steel mask to spare his followers the ordeal of looking at his decomposition - falls fatally ill after honourably preventing a battle between Crusaders and Saracens, Saladin, played by that wonderful Syrian actor Ghassan Massoud - and thank God the Arabs in the film are played by Arabs - tells his deputies to send his own doctors to look after the Christian king.

At this, there came from the Muslim audience a round of spontaneous applause. They admired this act of mercy from their warrior hero; they wanted to see his kindness to a Christian.

There are some things in the film which you have to be out here in the Middle East to appreciate. When Balian comes across a pile of crusader heads lying on the sand after the Christian defeat at the 1187 battle of Hittin, everyone in the cinema thought of Iraq; here is the nightmare I face each time I travel to report in Iraq. Here is the horror that the many Lebanese who work in Iraq have to confront. Yet there was a wonderful moment of self-deprecation among the audience when Saladin, reflecting on his life, says: "Somebody tried to kill me once in Lebanon."

The house came down. Everyone believed that Massoud must have inserted this line to make fun of the Lebanese ability to destroy themselves and - having lived in Lebanon 29 years and witnessed almost all its tragedy - I too founds tears of laughter running down my face.

I suppose that living in Lebanon, among those crusader castles, does also give an edge to Kingdom of Heaven. It’s said that Scott originally wanted to film in Lebanon (rather than Spain and Morocco) and to call his movie Tripoli after the great crusader keep I visited a few weeks ago. One of the big Christian political families in Lebanon, the Franjiehs, take their name from the "Franj", which is what the Arabs called the crusaders. The Douai family in Lebanon - with whom the Franjiehs fought a bitter battle, Knights Templar-style, in a church in 1957 - are the descendants of the French knights who came from the northern French city of Douai.

Yet it is ironic that this movie elicited so much cynical comment in the West. Here is a tale that - unlike any other recent film - has captured the admiration of Muslims. Yet we denigrated it. Because Orlando Bloom turns so improbably from blacksmith to crusader to hydraulic engineer? Or because we felt uncomfortable at the way the film portrayed "us", the crusaders?

But it didn’t duck Muslim vengeance. When Guy de Lusignan hands the cup of iced water given him by Saladin to the murderous knight who slaughtered Saladin’s daughter, the Muslim warrior says menacingly: "I did not give you the cup." And then he puts his sword through the knight’s throat. Which is, according to the archives, exactly what he did say and exactly what he did do.

Massoud, who is a popular local actor in Arab films - he is known in the Middle East as the Syrian Al Pacino - in reality believes that George Bush is to blame for much of the crisis between the Muslim and Western world. "George Bush is stupid and he loves blood more than the people and music," he said in a recent interview. "If Saladin were here he would have at least not allowed Bush to destroy the world, especially the feeling of humanity between people."

Massoud agreed to play Saladin because he trusted Scott to be fair with history. I had to turn to that fine Lebanese writer Amin Maalouf to discover whether Massoud was right. Maalouf it was who wrote the seminal The Crusades through Arab Eyes, researching for his work among Arab rather than Crusader archives. "Too fair," was his judgement on Kingdom of Heaven.

I see his point. But at the end of the film, after Balian has surrendered Jerusalem, Saladin enters the city and finds a crucifix lying on the floor of a church, knocked off the altar during the three-day siege. And he carefully picks up the cross and places it reverently back on the altar. And at this point the audience rose to their feet and clapped and shouted their appreciation. They loved that gesture of honour. They wanted Islam to be merciful as well as strong. And they roared their approval above the soundtrack of the film.

So I left the Dunes cinema in Beirut strangely uplifted by this extraordinary performance - of the audience as much as the film. See it if you haven’t. And if you do, remember how the Muslims of Beirut came to realise that even Hollywood can be fair. I came away realising why - despite the murder of Beirut’s bravest journalist on Friday - there probably will not be a civil war here again. So if you see Kingdom of Heaven, when Saladin sets the crucifix back on the altar, remember that deafening applause from the Muslims of Beirut.

Highlighting by me because I thought that was a very telling piece of writing. :oh:

Slowly but surely the word is getting out there and KOH is getting the recognition it deserves. Lets hope it just snowballs.

Cheers

CC :meow:

I still say Kingdom of Heaven is one of the best movies of 2005, and deserves to be among the five pictures nominated for Best Picture. :clap: Other nominations might be for supporting actor, Jeremy Irons; cinematography, special effects, costumes, and of course, best director.

If I were doing the nominating, I would put Orlando right up there with other Best Actor nominees -- I think his portrayal of Balian was superb. :w00t:

I dare the Academy to find five better movies than Kingdom of Heaven ! :rant:

Catsby, I am sitting here with tears on my cheeks reading the article. Thank you for posting it. He really nailed it, did he not?

I love the story, but also the hundreds of touches kept in by Ridley. I wrote in the theater while watching, and nearly filled a notebook with things that I considered important to the overall effect. Even stuff like Balian finally refusing to explain himself any further and just saying "No." Then finally saying "Yes" at the knighting.

As much we all hope it get awards, I also want it to become a classic. If this isn't, what does it take to quailfy? (Oh, crap, more crying!) Again, thanks, CC. It made my day.

'Kingdom' takes crown on DVD sales, rental charts

Drakius, thank you for posting that article. On the one hand it makes me really happy, but on the other hand, it makes me sad all over again. KOH could have done so much better in theatres - the DVD sales taking such a soaring flight shows that there is and has always been an audience for it ! An audience of which part at least for some reason didn't show up in theatres.

One of the things which I think (I could of course be way off) isn't all that beneficiary for movies these days, is that DVD's are released so quickly. Not that I'm complaining :lol:... but I remember the time and that's not even that long ago, when you would see a movie in theatres, and it would easily take 2 years before it would be available on video/DVD. These days, if after 6 months we don't have the DVD yet, we already grumble. But the result is lots of people skip going to see the movie when it's in theatres, and just wait for the DVD and rent it. So much cheaper, you can look at it in the cosy confines of your living room, no obnoxious strangers sitting around you who don't have any manners and are whispering (or talking aloud) through an entire movie, no cell phones people have forgotten to turn off, no stupid kids :rant: throwing pop-corn at each other which I've known happening on more than one occasion already, and you don't have to get a loan at the bank to pay for a drink and a snack. Most of the time I can't wait to see a movie, but then patience isn't my virtue, and I know quite a few people who do wait until a DVD release. 'Troy' was still playing here in theatres, when the DVD hit the shelves ! Seems fairly stupid, not ? Some may call this to cast the iron when it's hot, but in my opinion, it's smashing in one's own windows.

Well, in any case, whatever the reasons for KOH taking off so well on DVD, I hope its flying start takes away some of the taste of failure that has stuck to the movie ever since its release. Although it could have been (lots) better, I still think and will continue to do so, that it is a wonderful movie, and that the acting of EVERYONE was top-notch. And the attention to detail blew me away.

And I'm going to track down the first one who writes something denigrating once again about Orlando's performance as Balian - like the free monthly of a rather popular Belgian DVD's-for-rent chain has just done - and shoot him :rant: . Orlando nailed Balian.

On Nov. 2nd, the DVD is released over here. and I've got a meeting with the knight of my life that very evening.

I've had the DVD for a week now, and I'll just say it again, I :heart: this movie! Big time! There is so much to see and so much to notice, I am watching it so closely, it is so beautiful. I'm so gratified to see it getting the attention it deserves now that the DVD is so popular with almost no publicity.

CatsbyCat, thank you so much for posting that article. I'm really glad to hear the "fair" comment. I appreciated the movie for it's fairness, but I am not surprised to hear that there are others who did not. It does bring tears to the eyes to know that fairness is appreciated in many corners.

Aliza

Thanks for posting that article, CC. I was so stunned at the lack of interest in KOH in the theaters, I just couldn't understand it. I've watched it 3 times since I got the DVD and I love everything about it even though it deals with very difficult subject matter.

Fiore, I couldn't agree more, he absolutely nailed Balian!

I have to say that I am truly enjoying the smug satisfaction of hearing that the DVD is #1. :devil:

Kathie

I've been telling everbody in my office to go rent KOH and they seem interested once I can get them past the fact that I was originally attracted to it because of my crush on Orlando. I tell them it's a great movie, whatever my original motivation.

Aliza

Guest Kayla

It is fantastic to see this movie finally getting so much praise. I'm hoping that Australian's stand up, watches the movie and see's the brilliance that it contain's.

This movie will take out a lot of award's, and if recognised, Orlando should claim the best actor's award. His performance was the best I have seen all year. He was extremely powerful in his role, yet I can still see more in him, one day he will blow the world away and we will be the lucky one's to see him progress to such a breathtaking moment.

Well done Orlando and good luck for the award's (although you truly don't need it)

No argument from me on the Best Actor front, Kayla. Maybe a lot of people are like me, we liked Orlando from LOTR but were totally blown away by his performance in KoH. I think that may also explain the DVD sales. I went because I liked the idea of someone doing a movie about the Crusades and I liked Orlando, more or less. It was not ten minutes into the movie before I was totally blown away by his performance. I think I joined ka-Bloom the next week. :wub: And I've been waiting for the DVD ever since!

The soundtrack should win something too, I think. The costumes are fantastic too.

Selfishly I hope it does incredibly well and does win awards, because then there's even more reason for them to put out the extended edition - and then we get to see all those good bits they left out!

What I really hate is how much it seems to have hurt both Orlando and Ridley Scott that it didn't do well. So if it does well as a DVD maybe they'll realize that their work is "not unnoticed and very much appreciated."

:crusader: :throb:

No argument from me on the Best Actor front, Kayla.  Maybe a lot of people are like me, we liked Orlando from LOTR but were totally blown away by his performance in KoH.  I think that may also explain the DVD sales.  I went because I liked the idea of someone doing a movie about the Crusades and I liked Orlando, more or less.  It was not ten minutes into the movie before I was totally blown away by his performance.

Ganymeade and Kayla, I feel the same way. But I don't know, due to the lack of good turn out for the theatrical release, I don't know how much the DVD sales/rental will help with pushing forward for awards. But I'd love to see Best Costume, Best Soundtrack and of course, Best Actor. It's funny how these things play out in the Hollywood awards circuit though, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I was so absorbed in Orlando's performance as Balian that the movie was over before I realized I hadn't taken in much of the story line. I think I'd seen it 3 times before I caught all of the message, the nuances and profundities. I was just blown away.

:crusader: I still believe.

I am happy I am not the only one who thinks Orlando deserves an award for his portrayal of Balian. He was stunning. I am hoping and praying that he and the movie will get recognized come awards time. Oh yes, I still believe!

:crusader:

I BELIEVE!

In keeping with the idea that maybe a lot of people who didn't go to the cinema to see KOH will "discover" it now that it is on DVD, I offer the following anecdote.

When I checked the shelves at my local video rental place today, there were no ccpies of KOH to be found. Since it was a dreary, rainy Saturday, I figured people were probably renting KOH and every other new release to enjoy a "dry" evening at home. However, being a curious sort (especially when it comes to Orlando), I asked the store manager how well KOH had been renting since it came out. She informed me that they had 18 DVDs and 2 VHS copies, and they had all gone out day one for the standard 2-day rental period and since then, not one copy had ever been re-shelved! "As soon as we check one in, there's a hand stretched out waiting to take it and rent it." AND, "Not one person has said anything negative about it. They all love it." She added that nearly every person she had talked to had NOT seen it in the cinema and was now sorry. Just thought you all would like to know!

I know like everyone else, it gives me enormous satisfaction to hear how well the DVD is being received. We've seen the rental figures, but is there any place where the sales figures can be found? I'm just curious.

Oh, one more thing to all the critics, I TOLD YOU SO! :tease::rofl:

You could be sad like me and actually check out record stores just to reassure yourself that the KOH DVD is still at the top of the charts. It was. :smoke:

I am so pleased that this film is finally getting an audience and hopefully some of the credit it deserves. Bring on more good news (E-town box office figures are frying my nerves so this thread is a welcome relief).

Guest Kayla

I have heard all about the American rental and sale's figure's but is there any new's yet on the international figure's?

I'm really keen to find out. :shiny: