ka-Bloom.org Forum

Paula Deen - Interview Report

MovieImp

Ok, Randy and Spiff interviewed Paula Deen this morning on Peach 94.9 Radio in Atlnata and she took over the radio station. God love her.

She really is a Southern Mama as she put it. She talked about how during her wedding Paramount called and she didn't call them back until a couple of days later when her new husband said honey call them folks back. So she called Gayle and she became Aunt Dora. Seems Gayle, the casting director, was home sick and flipping channels and discovered Paula Deen on her cooking show and said that's our Aunt Dora. She called Cameron and gave him a tape and he took one look and said that's our Aunt Dora.

Paula said she told Gayle she wasn't any kind of actress but Gayle told her she was farther along than she thought. She arranged for her to talk to Cameron. Paula said once she talked to Cameron she knew within a minute or two she was talking to a "Good Man". A really really "Good Man".

During the rehearsals she asked Cameron how he wanted her to portray Aunt Dora and he told her to just be herself she was Aunt Dora.

She did a bit of cooking on the movie, but nothing really real. However, she planned out all the food for the funeral. She said it was really important to her to get that food right.

When asked about Orlando. She said she couldn't see him as anything other than one of her sons. He was just so nice and sweet and kind. When asked to talk about something people didn't know about Orlando she brought up a dog that Orlando had rescued off the streets of Morocco. Yes, at this point I was saying to the radio, Sidi! Anyway, during the down time he would go play with his dog, Paula said. He had him tied up under a tree with this water bowl and he would go lie down on the ground beside the dog and play with him. Awwws erupted in the studio at this point. Then Paula being Paula she said.. I thought how sweet of him and if he is that sweet to lie down with a bitch (I guess she didn't know Sidi was a male), then he could be that sweet and wonderful with the other bitches out there. I don't have that exactly worded right but it's close and you have to hear Paula's voice in your ear just dying laughing saying it.

She said she just got back from L.A. and loved the movie with her heart and soul. That it was a movie about just life happening. They told everyone when it opened. Oh and her sons just left for L.A. as they have a new show on the Food Network where they go around the country and basically eat at restaurants. Lucky sons of a gun.

Then Paula being Paula she said.. I thought how sweet of him and if he is that sweet to lie down with a bitch (I guess she didn't know Sidi was a male), then he could be that sweet and wonderful with the other bitches out there. I don't have that exactly worded right but it's close and you have to hear Paula's voice in your ear just dying laughing saying it.

Paula is such a hoot. I can just hear her saying this. If my son hadn't had school off today (due to Rita) I would have heard it on the radio, dang. Thank you Julia for bringing this to us. (Poor babe do you have to fight that morning traffic?) I remember Orlando being asked in one of the interviews if his idea about death and dying had changed from being in the movie and he commented about how Southerners apparently eat lots of food when their loved ones die! I guess that must seem strange to some people!

Kim

I finally watched one of her shows Cooking 101 with Fried Chicken, Grits and Shrimp, Mac and Cheese.. I want the receipes badly.  Must go in search.

:jacked: The recipes are all on her Food Network website, MI. Listed by episode, you can print them out at:

Paula's Home Cooking

Kiss my grits! I forgot to thank you for committing the interview to memory and for sharing. Thanks, Julia!

When asked about Orlando. She said she couldn't see him as anything other than one of her sons. He was just so nice and sweet and kind.

I could just see Paula putting Orlando to work in the kitchen and kidding around with him, just like she does with her own sons.

Her special on the Food Network, Paula's Cooking Class has been showing these last couple weeks. You get a feel of how she interacts with people, and her two sons also help out with the cooking. She is such a sweet woman. At the end of the show, when she's signing off, she is in tears, because she said that she got more back than she set out to give by having the cooking class.

Thank you for typing this up for us, Julia.

The thing is, when I watched the "Dora's Pictures" clip, I realized - she was being herself. She has a 'bigger-than-life' personality.

What recipes of hers that I've tried, I like them. And some I liked a LOT. She has a tendency for these heavy, sweet things that I'm not crazy about (but you'd never know that by looking at me!). But it's her sweet attitude and cheerfulness that makes the show. Although I often, on bad days, want to throw a few shoes at the TV screen. :lol:

Then Paula being Paula she said.... I thought how sweet of him and if he is that sweet to lie down with a bitch (I guess she didn't know Sidi was a male), then he could be that sweet and wonderful with the other bitches out there.

Sounds JUST like her. :lol: Thanks a bunch, Julia. :hug:

Edited by Jan