ka-Bloom.org Forum

Paula Deen: Quite a Story

Jan

After reading the bit about the AJC article on Paula Deen, I went looking - mostly to see if Food Network had any clips of her. Alas, nothing at the moment, but I'll keep checking (and try to tape her show to get a snippet).

What I did find was her personal and restaurant website, The Lady and Sons. Lots of information on her, her sons and her restaurant, as well as how she came to be on Food Network.

But what was really amazing is the story of her life; I had tears in my eyes over what she has overcome to become who she is today. Incredibly candid and touching. How it's written is the way she talks. Pictures are included.

Paula's Story

Start with "Growing up in Albany" and go to the next link on the top of the pages. She does mention being cast in Elizabethtown:

Out of the blue one day, I got a call from Gail Levin, the head of casting at Paramount Studios. Can you believe that? There was a part in a movie that she was trying to cast that was stumping her. She kept asking herself, "Who is this person in real life?" And wouldn't you know it, but her TV happened to be tuned into the Food Network, and Paula's Home Cooking was on the air and she had found her girl! The movie is called Elizabethtown. It was directed by Cameron Crowe, produced by Tom Cruise and stars Kirsten Dunst, Orlando Bloom and Susan Sarandon. We filmed the movie late last year, and it's supposed to be coming out late summer 2005. But yall don't get up to go get some popcorn, cause you just might miss me!

Get up for popcorn during an Orlando movie? Are you NUTS?!? :lol:

Thank you Jan for finding this website. What a beautiful women with such an inspirational story. She definitely is a character and perfect for Aunt Dora. Savanna is such a quaint and charming town, it's sounds like a perfect location for her kind of restaurant. I'll definitely be looking for her cookbooks my next trip to Borders.

My mom just adores Paula Deen. I never watch the Food Network, so I had no idea who she was talking about.( If she could come back in another life she wanted to come back as a southern lady like Paula Deen.) She told me about how she got started, etc. Then when I showed her the 7 minute E-town video she got all excited because Paula was in the movie. I said, "but look, it's Orlando!" It didn't have quite the same impact on her. :wink:

Guest KatieKate

It's funny. as I watched Elizabethtown, I would watch her scenes and wonder, "where on earth have I seen her before?" And then I realized that I had seen her on food network with my mom for such a long time! Duh! :rolleyes:

She has a truly amazing story, and seems like such a wonderul lady.

Guest KatieKate

She has a few little scenes with Orlando. one comes to mind, you've seen in the trailer when he comes to the house and meets the family. They share a little heartwarming scene. She's so perfect in the role!

• 2 months later...