Geri

For Loan to Subscribers/Contributors:

We're pleased to be able to offer for loan our NTSC VHS copy of Dying To Tell the Story, the Emmy nominated documentary which studies the motivations of journalists dedicated enough to risk their lives for a story, and specifically chronicles Dan's story. Narrated by Dan's sister, Amy Eldon. Orlando is attached to the feature film project for this story and will be cast to portray Dan once a suitable script is presented and approved.

Also for loan is the accompanying 15 minute documentary by CNN called The Art of Life, a biographical look at Dan's abbreviated life.

dying.jpgbookcover.jpg

These tapes were donated by Kathy Eldon and will travel as a pair. If you are a contributor or subscriber and would like to borrow these tapes for personal viewing, please post here to reserve your turn. Bear in mind that these are the only copies we have, so it is understood that kind treatment is expected with shipping and handling of the tapes. You will be responsible for sending them on to the next member in line, so please do not sign up unless you are willing to undertake that cost and responsibility.

ETA:

I'm editing in the requests in order of posting. After you are finished with the tapes, please PM the person below your name and arrange shipment to them. Please post when you've sent tapes off or received them so we have an idea of where in the world they are. :lol:

NTSC

Suzie

EternalLove

Sunshine

Spkles

Elalia

Calimom

wyoldchild

HeySailor

Jules

Ceri Lasgalen

Parrot Lady

dreambeliever

PAL waiting list

MadameMarigold

little_green

Eledh

cazrider

LenaLove

Aniethen

Regarding NTSC and PAL format concerns: Please see my post here.

These are NTSC format VHS tapes. If you live in a PAL region, we won't be able to accomodate your request until such a time as we can convert these to a format suitable for your area. :( I've made a separate list for those in PAL regions in case we can ever make that happen. If you live in a PAL region and have an NTSC player, please let me know.

ETA: A PAL dvd version is now available. ~Jupiter

ETA: A region one dvd version is being made available thanks to ponycobbler.

Edited by HopelessRomantic

I would very much like to see these Geri, so please sign me up. You already have my address, I believe.

I'd be very interested in seeing them. Thank you for offering them Geri and to Ms. Eldon for donating them. I think you have my (home) address too, but if not I can PM it.

Many thanks,

Kat

Right, then first the pair will go to MM and from there to Kat. :) I'll get them out in the next day or two.

Ooh Geri! :w00t: I am next! I was so disappointed I couldn't see this in Chicago because I had to leave early. Thank you so much, Geri. And the resemblance between Dan and Orlando is uncanny, IMO. Orlando is PERFECT for the role.

I posted a brief review of the film here. I give it a definite :2thumbs: .

Guest Sunshine

Hi Geri

Please add me to the list. I contemplated watching in Chicago and in the end I thought it would be much too emotional viewing for that weekend. But would love to borrow it.and thank you for giving us this opportunity. :hug:

Christy

I've edited in a waiting list on the first post so we can keep track of who is next in line. Once you've seen the tapes, please contact the next person after you and make arrangements to send them on. After you've done so, post up a note letting us know they've been sent. :)

I'd like to view them, too. I didn't watch at KOHn, but in the privacy of my own home I would.

Candi

Thanks so much for offering the opportunity to see these films, Geri. I would like a chance to see them as well. I'd love to view them at home.

HR, I would love to see these tapes. This is a project I'm really hoping will come to pass. Thanks for the opportunity to you and Ms. Eldon.

I would absolutely LOVE to see these documentaries. However, being in Europe, I'm afraid I won't be able to since I suppose the tapes are in NTSC format? Is that correct?

I guess there are "region-free" VCRs, but the ones I have access to (heck I don't even own one at the moment, but would be willing to beg, borrow & steal :wink: ) only play PAL video tapes. :(

Anyways - thanks so much for this offer, Geri and Mrs. Eldon!! :flowers:

I would absolutely LOVE to see these documentaries. However, being in Europe, I'm afraid I won't be able to since I suppose the tapes are in NTSC format? Is that correct?

I guess there are "region-free" VCRs, but the ones I have access to (heck I don't even own one at the moment, but would be willing to beg, borrow & steal :wink: ) only play PAL video tapes. :(

Ooh, yeah, that's a thought. Hm. I'm not at home at the moment, so I have no idea if my parents' video machine plays American VHS tapes. Oh well, I'm willing to give it a go, and if they don't work, I'll just send them right along to the next person. Unless they don't work for MM, that is, when it might be just as well to leave me out.

Sorry to complicate matters :blink: .

LG

Ah :censor: ! I hadn't thought about needing a different format!

Jxx

I was lucky enough to see these films in Chicago, and I highly recommend them. The story of Dan Eldon is both inspiring, and heartbreaking. I was brought to tears several times.

While watching these films, the thought that kept running through my mind was that Orlando was born to play this part. He not only looks like Dan, with his smiling eyes, and dark curls, but seems to embody Dans love of life as well.

If you have not seen these videos, add your name to the list.

Thanks for doing this Geri, and please send thanks to Kathy Eldon as well, for being so thoughtful.

I'll have to work out if these will play for those of you over the pond before sending them that way. Let me consult with the technical gurus and we'll get this sorted. :wink:

Geri, I'd like to be included in the rotation to see these documentaries. Again. I was priviledged to watch them at KOHn and would really like my two teenaged sons and husband to see these touching films with me. If they could get through the rotation before my eldest heads off for college and his path through life, it would be great. And give him something to think about.

Ooh, yeah, that's a thought.  Hm.  I'm not at home at the moment, so I have no idea if my parents' video machine plays American VHS tapes.  Oh well, I'm willing to give it a go, and if they don't work, I'll just send them right along to the next person.  Unless they don't work for MM, that is, when it might be just as well to leave me out.

Sorry to complicate matters :blink: .

LG

I know that several years ago I was involved in an email list (remember those before the message boards got to be so terrific) for fans of Michael Crawford. We had an international membership (much like KaBloom) and it was before the advent of easy sharing of video clips via the internet. Well, we had a couple of members who had video machines that could convert the PAL format to NTSC, thus giving us usable VHS tapes in US machines. I suppose these machines still exist, right? I wonder if it would be possible to create a set of videos that would play in the PAL machines of the UK? Of course, we were dealng with video recorded from the television and in this instance we are dealing with copyrighted material. Oh well, don't even know if the technology has changed since then (this would have been 6 or 7 years ago. Good God how time flies!!)

ZB :innocent:

I would be very interested in watching these documentaries, so please add my name to the list. Thank you very, very much!

Jules

Please sign me up too. Even from the little I've read about Dan I know this is a sad but inspiring story.

Thanks to Mrs Eldon and Geri for making the videos available to us.

Krissy

HR, Please add me to the list (assuming you can resolve the issue of whether these will play in the UK). I'll see if I can find out the answer, too.

Thanks. This is a great idea.

Okay, I've done a little research on this and it's indeed true that these tapes won't work for those of you over the pond, unless you have an NTSC player. National Television System Committee. VHS tapes made for the American, Canadian and Asian markets are recorded in the NTSC Standard. It's the standard for almost everywhere but Europe, France and Russia. :(

I'll see what we might be able to do in terms of getting them converted to a PAL format DVD, but don't count on it.

Thank you for looking into it, Geri :hug: . It's a shame that we won't be able to see the video, but I'm grateful for the oppurtunity, nonetheless.

LG