Jan

See It Again This Weekend!

Personally, I think this is a lovely gesture from Orlando and his team, but I must confess to spending the last 24 hours worrying about it.

I do see what you mean, Joseb, but I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think this is a newsworthy story and it's pretty obvious it is a "thank you" rather than anything else, as such short notice was given.

I don't think Orlando's profile here in the UK is enough for the tabloids to want to make a story out of this.

I don't think Orlando's profile here in the UK is enough for the tabloids to want to make a story out of this.

As soon as I posted, I stopped worrying and felt immediately better! :wink:

Thanks for the reassurance, Cazrider. However I am a little sad if Orlando still isn't famous enough in the UK to warrant a bitchy story in the Entertainment pages. I would have thought anything knocking Orlando's credibility would be considered newsworthy there.

I've been quite shocked at the number of adverse reactions from fans on other sites so I don't quite agree with your "obvious" comment but hopefully this has now safely flown underneath the radar of the British press. :unsure:

Guest earthcrosser
I don't think this is a newsworthy story

If only that really mattered, Caz."real" news isn't necessarily what those people care about.

I can completely see where Joseb is coming from.but I agree that it's nothing to worry about.

It's an excellent idea.I'm going Thursday night for #2. Perhaps I'll stick mine in the mail!

:throb:

Thanks for the reassurance, Cazrider. However I am a little sad if Orlando still isn't famous enough in the UK to warrant a bitchy story in the Entertainment pages. I would have thought anything knocking Orlando's credibility would be considered newsworthy there.

I think what we may have here is a case of distorted perspective. We are all very close to this because we see and hear everything that's reported and have strong feelings about what others are saying. I think it's safe to say that tabloids would have to be having a pretty slow news day in order for a controversy over an actor's fan club handing out photos for ticket stubs to merit a position in their page layout.

Let's think about this logically for a moment without letting our feelings for Orlando get in the way. How many people are going to respond to this offer? I say a few thousand worldwide, and that's being generous. Is that number, assuming not one of those people planned to see the film anyway, going to make a measurable difference in the box office take when it is spread worldwide? NO. That is precisely why it is not news once you step away from the computer and it is also why it is ridiculous, IMHO, for anyone to therefore accuse ANYONE of trying to pad numbers. Perhaps the motive behind this was from the heart of good people (Orlando DOES seem to surround himself with such individuals) and not from the hidden agenda of capitalist pigs?

What I find unfortunate is that it seems that no good deed goes unpunished. People always seem to look for alterior motives and seem so quick to find fault. Maybe, as Jan has suggested, I'm just a Pollyanna and you can certainly all throw your collective tomatoes at me for being one but it really saddens me that there is always an attempt, and not just in this case, to villify and assume the worst about people. It seems to me that people in online communities tend to wear their cynicism on their sleeves more often than not, especially when it appears that someone in a position of power or is admired by many does something nice. The attitude that "they can't possibly be doing that for the right motives" is disheartening.

For example, many people in fandoms in general cannot resist the insidious pull towards live journals and communities like them where anonymous (or relatively anonymous) posting has created a festering cess pool of insult and rumor mongering targeted at the object of their so called affection, those significant to them, and even each other.

This offer is exactly what Lori represented it to be- a team of people who are very fond of Orlando, who work tirelessly to handle a constant influx of mail, and who wanted to support the film and thank the fans on his behalf at the same time. It's very generous and kind, a gesture we don't see very often, and that is why it's been recieved by a few as suspicous - because it was sudden and rare. Acts of kindness often are.

What HR said. :clap:

People always seem to look for alterior motives and seem so quick to find fault.

And that is true no matter what you do in life. Try to do something nice and you have 'an alterior motive!' :rant: Goodness, knows how many times it has happened to me, it infuriates me no end. And not only does it make me angry, but it is very hurtful and upsetting when you are genuinly trying to be nice.

It happened to me yesterday and it also happened to me a few days before I went to the London Premiere. Yes, there was a reason for me suggesting the selecting of a name from DYC's for the giver of the tag!

It's very generous and kind, a gesture we don't see very often, and that is why it's been recieved by a few as suspicous - because it was sudden and rare. Acts of kindness often are.

And unfortunately, some people just can't seem to accept an act of kindness for what it really is.

It's very generous and kind, a gesture we don't see very often, and that is why it's been recieved by a few as suspicous - because it was sudden and rare.  Acts of kindness often are.

Thank you so much for saying this, Geri. It was so well said. This whole thing has been a little upsetting to me.

Many of us feel very protective of Orlando, and I have only recently come to realize why I feel this way. Someone who has so pure a heart like Orlando has is extremely rare these days, whether in his business or any other. When you find something so rare, it is very precious, and makes you want to preserve it. Some may question the genuine kind gestures of good people because it is so unusual to find these days. I guess it's just human nature.

Anyway, back on topic. My stub is in the mail.

To Orlando's Fan Mail Team, LoriV, and of course, Orlando, I want to extend a great big

Thank You.

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

:crusader: I BELIEVE! :knight:

What all of you said! Wow, i can't believe some people see this as an act of bribary! I guess in this time of you know, suspicious motives, people are quesioning it. :zap: Wonderful people, Orlando & Co! :hug:

Aww I don't even get to see KoH until next weekend! (Exams! :rant: )

Hanna

I came to realize a few years ago that cynicism is a disease. It snuck up on us over time because too many people pretended to have altruistic motives for a lot of things which just hid a lot of hatred, greed and selfishness. (Anyone else remember the razor blades in Halloween apples?) We had our innocence stolen from us and learned not to trust each other and now we're paying the price.

Am I the only one who hates living this way? I don't think so. Can I help being a little skeptical most of the time? No.

I'm not saying we should just blindly accept everything at face value all the time, but when someone has proven their inner goodness and integrity over and over the way Orlando has we need to embrace that (and him, even if it's only metaphorically).

And we need to start practicing some of those "senseless acts of kindness" ourselves, no matter how the cynics react because some day we'll outnumber them again.

Not Pollyanna. Just a child of the 60s who still believes.

Krissy

And we need to start practicing some of those "senseless acts of kindness" ourselves, no matter how the cynics react because some day we'll outnumber them again.

Krissy, Hear! Hear! :clap:

Sometimes it's too easy for me to forget my Flower Child roots . I need to be reminded when I get too jaded. So, thanks.

Geri and Krissy, beautifully put. :clap: What saddens me the most is that Orlando's wonderful and generous heart didn't realize some will twist this good deed and use it against him. He just wanted to do something for his fans, without realizing some people are there just waiting to beat him at the first chance possible. This deed shows what kind of person Orlando is. He is so generous and pure of heart, that he fails to see how his goodness can be turned into something bad by those with lesser hearts. It's a sad world we are living in. We are living in a world tainted by cynicism, and can't acknowledge someone's true worth and goodness. Truly sad. But as the saying goes, "what goes around comes around." Orlando's love for his fans will result in hundred fold, and HE will be the one smiling, not the cynics. I take pride in that I am a fan of someone very special. And that man's name is Orlando Bloom. And in the end, HE will be the winner, not the cynics, critics or box office numbers.

:crusader:

I BELIEVE!

I bet if there was any way he could do it, Orlando would personally shake the hand of every person coming out of every theater, thank them for seeing it, and ask them with that little look of excitement and anxiety and humility he gets, if they liked it, if they thought it was any good (bless him!).  I like to think of these cards as the next best thing, the only way he can possibly send a personal "thank you" to everyone around the world.

I definitely agree! I've seen the movie 4 times and am more and more impressed each time I see it. I'm not just going to get butts in the seats (although each butt does count!), but I must say the entrouge that goes with me gets longer each time! :wink: This weekend I managed to take my husband (he loved it; was very impressed with The Pretty), another literacy coach and a couple of friends.

I had already planned to go this past Sunday and read the post from Jan after having been to the movie, so I considered it one of my "God winks" and said a loud "thank you" to the Orlando fan team!

My stub went off today with a handwritten letter. The last (and only) time I wrote a letter as a fan was to Shaun Cassidy (yeah, I know I'm dating myself!). But I wanted Orlando to know what being a fan of his and getting to know all of the ka-bloomies through the fandom has meant to me.

I will see the movie several more times (got passes!) before it leaves the theater and don't need any more incentive than to gaze upon the beauty and talent that is Orlando.

Ok. Done. :paperbag:

In the wonderful spirit of giving in which we are all basking, I'd like to amend my earlier offer, first posted much earlier in this thread. Originally, I offered the US version of the ONE campaign white wristband to the first nine ka-Bloomies who did not attend KOHn and who sent me a copy of their ticket stubs from a KOH viewing they attended ONLY this past weekend.

I've sent wristabands to two ka-Bloomies so far. I have 7 left. It's my pleasure to share these with anyone who would like to send me a copy of their ticket stub from ANY date. Just call it what it is.my own little way of celebrating the movie, supporting a charitable cause that Orlando supports, and sharing the spirit of "I BELIEVE" with my sister and brother ka-Bloomies. PM me if you'd like one.

:hug: