Jan

See It Again This Weekend!

I think Orlando and Sonia are sweethearts for wanting to acknowledge the fans like this. I did see KOH again last night (for the third time) with my Mom and Stepdad, and I may be persuaded to give up my ticket stub for a postcard. We'll see. I usually put all of my ticket stubs in my scrapbook for each respective year and get a kick out of looking back later and seeing what really caught my fancy for multiple viewings.

Aka. Anything Orlando's in right? :lol:

I do the same as you, I collect my ticket stubbs, that's why it's an extra bummer than my dear mum sent the wrong stubb off! That was my MAY 6TH viewing! ( I'll just have to swipe her's ;) )

At least she didn't send the premiere ticket off, :blink: I have that much to be thankful for! :notworthy:

A gesture from the heart- from HIS heart and from the hearts of those around him is something of complete purity in my books, so I'm with Jan. Maybe I'm just naive but nothing sinister about it ever even crossed my mind.

I just want to say a massive THANKYOU! to Lori, to Orlandos Fan-mail team- who quite frankly, ROCK! and of course to Orlando and Sonia who we all love so dearly. :wub:

x Claire

EDIT: Thank You rebecca, Mary sent it to me! Isn't it lovely of her!

I most certainly don't see this generous act by the fan mail team as bribary. It is their 'Thank You' to all of us for our unfailing support of Orlando and ALL of his films through the good and the bad times. Remember 'The Calcium Kid' and how we all heavily supported that through the terrible reviews. Some of us had to wait until it came out on DVD to see it (yes, I was one of them), some of us here still haven't seen it. The same can be said for KOH. It has had some awful reviews and my reaction to those reviews has been to throw the paper/magazine in the bin and go out and support the film.

If I could have watched 'Kingdom of Heaven' again this weekend I would have, card or no card. I'll have to wait until it's being shown at my small local cinema next week or maybe even the week after! But I most definitely intend to watch it again.

I'm keeping my ticket stub from Wednesday night to stick inside my KOH 'Making of.' book, when it finally arrives! Then, who knows, maybe one day Orlando will be able to sign that for me. :wub:

I'm pretty upset over these outright accusations of 'bribery',

:O Whoa, I missed something here. Bribery?? When I first read the announcement, bribery never entered my mind. I don't see anything of this sort. This is Orlando's way of thanking his fans for their ongoing support of him and his films. As devoted fans that we are, we should honor him in every way possible by going to see his films, buying magazines that feature him and if possible, attending his premieres. The thought of bribery is just hurtful. :angry:

I want to give my support but unfortunately I'm not able to see it again this weekend. I was planning to see it again this weekend. This was before I read the announcement, but Hubby's part-time job had other plans and scheduled him to work this weekend. :rant: So right now, he's at work till 7:00pm and I'm stuck in the house watching 3 and 4 year olds. My daughter, whose 3, all her friends decided to come hang out at house today of all days. Where I want to be is in a dark theatre, watching The Pretty The Hero Knight. To make matters worse, hubby has to go into his full-time job at 5am tomorrow so that means he's going to bed early and me seeing a late showing is out of the question. I wanted so much to see it again this weekend.

Sorry, I'll stop whining now. :zip:

~*Cheryl*~

I really think this is a lovely gesture and, coincidentally, went to see KoH last night for viewing number 2 so will send mine in. I, too, want Orlando to appreciate the level of support he has.

I don't want to think of why people were critical but, to put things into context, it would take far more than x number of fans going out of their way to see KoH in one weekend to make that much difference to international box office figures. This is clearly a "thank you" and a very thoughtful one at that.

Kira - You silly! You'll have the card in your scrapbook instead of the stub! No seriously, you could always pop it into a copy machine before you put it in the envelope.

Claire - definitely swipe Mum's May 6th stub!

Seriously, you guys are so organized. I have a little tin box that I throw my ticket stubs into - when I remember and they don't go through the laundry or something!

When I read off the announcement to Hubby last night he said "Well let's go tomorrow, I wanted to see it again anyway."

:wub:

Dairwendan

I've already seen it four times. I'm going again this afternoon with my dad. I'm going again next weekend with a friend. I just wish I had more time and money to see the movie, and more friends to take. I love Orlando and Balian and I think the movie deserves so much better than it has been getting. If the hope of an autographed card to persuade some people to see it who would otherwise save their money for Star Wars or something, fine. If I knew of a sure-fire way to get people to see the movie I would do it. If I had Bill Gates money I would buy up all the seats at every showing and let anyone who wanted see it for free.

Whether the card is just a bonus for fans who see the movie this weekend, or a plea for support, doesn't matter. The movie needs support. This won't kill Orlando's career, since he has Etown and the two Pirates sequels coming out, but it could severely handicap him. He's got several pet projects he's been waiting to get made/released but can't get financing. If KOH were a blockbuster, he'd have a much better shot at getting someone to take a chance on him. As it is, with KOH severely underperforming in the US, he's going to have a real hard slog. He needs us to see his movie again.

So please, support Orlando in the only way that really matters to the powers that be in Hollywood. If you think the card offer is cynical, don't send in your stub. Just go see the movie again.

~squiggles

I went again for the 4th time last night before I even knew about this. At first I thought I would hold onto my ticket as a souvenir (as I do for special movies). But I think I will send it in to show my support. Getting a picture back will just be an extra treat. :)

I almost wish there were another week before Star Wars came out (well, sort of) because KOH is going to be pushed to the crappy small screens or dropped altogether and I'd still like to see it a few more times.

People who think this was a move to boost ticket sales are not living in the real world. Maybe I'm wrong, but somehow the idea of creating this incredible amount of work for "someone" to have to coordinate sending out all of the thousands of cards doesn't sound like a cost effective method for boosting ticket sales. (By not requesting any kind of a SASE, the team is going to have to input every single persons return address into a database.) Plus, for those cynical few who viewed this as something other than an incredibly sweet and thoughtful gesture on the part of Orlando and/or his team, even as powerful as the internet may be, I'm not sure posting this message on a handful of websites devoted to Orlando would have any kind of major impact on the numbers anyway.

Just the 2 cents of someone NOT in the know about how the industry truly works.

ZB :innocent:

ETA I had always planned to go again this weekend with a couple of friends. So, the idea of a brand new autographed card is great. I have every intention of taking advantage of it. Of course, you know what the road to hell is paved with right? :rolleyes:

OK, Jane was more judicious about it than I am;  I'm pretty upset over these outright accusations of 'bribery', and have deleted the few posts with opinions expressed as such; they are uncalled for.  I'm not sweeping it under the rug or I wouldn't even mention that I've done it.

It is a THANK YOU GESTURE from the Fan Mail Team, period.  The 'backlash' over this has proved to be very hurtful and upsetting to those involved. 

Sigh. :( No matter what Orlando does, some people just twist it and use it against him. Why is it so hard for them to believe that an actor can be so gracious and want to thank his fans? I am happy Orlando is doing this, and what's more, the address given for us to mail the stubs to is only few miles from where I live. My ticket stub will be in the mailbox tomorrow. I find it sad that Jan had to delete posts from this forum, the very forum where we are constantly reminded of Orlando's kindness and thoughtfulness through those CEOKS and that wonderful video clip shown to us at KOHN. If there were posts like that in here, I can imagine what those naysayers are saying at other sites. Sad. And yes, Orlando needs us to see this film again. I am waiting for the box office numbers this week, keeping my fingers crossed that the ticket sales for KOH didn't fall too much. I am hoping against all hopes that the theatre that I was in was a good sign of how it did this week.

ETA - I forgot our "motto."

:crusader:

I BELIEVE!!

And that's with capital B-E-L-I-E-V-E! :)

Edited by Suzie

I almost wish there were another week before Star Wars came out (well, sort of) because KOH is going to be pushed to the crappy small screens or dropped altogether and I'd still like to see it a few more times.

Yep, I'm worried about it getting kicked down when SW comes out too. I have to see it at least 2 more times to reach my goal of 5 times. I hope it sticks around long enough for me to accomplish this.

I'm sending my stub from Saturday, which was my third viewing. I went with my mom and did a perfect job of keeping quiet and not disturbing her. Of course, every time he comes on the screen I slide into a world where only the two of us exist, so I guess it wasn't that hard to not bother her. :blush:

Orlando did such a wonderful job on this film. What a man he is. I'm so proud of how far he's come. I feel bad that it didn't do better for him, but at least I'm doing my part to show my support. After what he did for us at the KOHn, this is the least I can do to thank him for that.

Christa

I'm sending in my stub from today's show. Not to get a response, but to show my appreciation.

Love begets love.

OK. I've taken a few hours to think this through, and I have decided that I do truly appreciate this for the gesture it is. Especially after Zoebear pointed out that any resulting increase in sales for the weekend wouldn't even make a blip on the official figures. And the fact that this is the fanmail team not Fox.

For myself I'm bummed - I mean, it's not that I so much want the card, but I did my bit - I saw KOH twice within the opening weekend and I will be going again this week, but I had other plans this weekend.

But for those who qualify - it's a typically generous and kind thought and I hope you all mail in!

Yours, surrendered cynic,

FLC

Kira - You silly! You'll have the card in your scrapbook instead of the stub! No seriously, you could always pop it into a copy machine before you put it in the envelope.

Hmmm, you make a good point, Dair. Even if I don't copy the ticket stub, I'll have the postcard which will certainly bring a smile to my face when I see it.

Karen, did I read that correctly - you almost wish Star Wars wasn't coming out this week?!?! :O

Wow, I see this as pure gift. My sister and I went to see KOH at the first matinee showing of this last Friday, and I didn't know about this offer until today! I'm sending in my stub.

You can tell just from seeing him onscreen that Orlando is an authentic person. You can't fake that. I'm more and more proud to be one of his fans. :shiny:

Just got back, stub is in the mail. :shiny:

I think I'll have to join FLC in being bummed for myself since I wasn't able to go this weekend, but I also went twice on opening weekend and plan to go again next week. It's a really nice gesture from the fan team and hopefully he knows we support him even if we couldn't go at this particular time. I'm sure he does. Special thanks to LoriV.

WOW!

I just FINALLY got to go see KOH today because well, it just opened here!--and coincided with the grand opening of a new cinaplex. At first I was shocked neither of the other two local cinemas had it last weekend, but the new place has it in running in two (of 14) theatres. YAY!~

Then I come home and see this notice. (Talk about digging through jean pockets for mine, the hubby's and the daughter's stubs!)

I'm thrilled that they are doing something like this, and like many others, see no sense of bribery. If that were the case, I'd have expected it to be much more publicized AND appear in time for premiere weekend, not the second weekend.

Regardless, omg. what a movie (what a man!) and of course, what an actor. I think he absolutely did a fine job, and the hubby even gave it a thumbs up.

*rather speechless and sighing repeatedly. I'm sure y'all know the drill*

Anyway, add me to the list who's keeping two stubs for the memories and sending one in to show my support.

~Melani

Sweet idea from a very sweet man. As all have said.this is a sincer thank you from him. I did not see it as a brib to see it again.never crossed my mind. I'm going to see it again, for the third time, next weekend as well. My stub will be in the mail tomorrow.

I would just like to thank Orlando for all he has given.his heart and soul.

He is a class act.

Bev

I Believe! :crusader:

I just got home from my second viewing and my stub will be in the mail tomorrow! :)

I think this is a wonderful thank you to the fans, and I'm glad that we have been given this small way of showing our support of Orlando and KOH.

Karen :crusader:

Guest Cl@re
But for those who qualify - it's a typically generous and kind thought and I hope you all mail in!

Done & done.

I popped it in the mail on the way home from work.

I still think it is a unique idea and one, that again, separates Orlando from other actors in a special way.

From everything I read and from my own personal experience, Orlando is the kindest celebrity to fans I've seen in my entire life. Obviously, the fan team knows this and apparently want to do their part as well.

He is one actor who genuinely appreciates and cares about his fans. :wub:

Done & done.

I popped it in the mail on the way home from work.

I still think it is a unique idea and one, that again, separates Orlando from other actors in a special way.

That's at least three stubs from the 5.10pm showing from York. :w00t:

I think it a wonderful gesture by Orlando and his Fan Mail Team (and an awful lot of work for them).

Guest Cl@re
That's at least three stubs from the 5.10pm showing from York.  :w00t:

I don't think we could've timed our meet up better. Group support! :grouphug:

Personally, I think this is a lovely gesture from Orlando and his team, but I must confess to spending the last 24 hours worrying about it.

I can only speak from my knowledge of the UK (and having a journalist in the family) but the tabloids here are vultures and will use any excuse to attack our home grown talent as soon as they start being successful. We even have a name for it here - Tall Poppy Syndrome. If this were to get out, the tabloids here would have no qualms in twisting and distorting everyone's good intentions to attack Orlando. If even one or two people on this board have thought it, the British tabloids will say it, exaggerated to the extreme.

I don't want to upset or offend anyone involved in this gesture as I have absolutely no doubt that this was meant as a genuine and heartfelt thank you to his fans for their ongoing support. It's just that not everyone is as kind and good natured as Orlando. Some people will always try and read in ulterior motives, even when they don't exist. All I know is that I felt physically sick as soon as I read this thread because I knew what a "great story" this would make - Bloom bribes fans to boost box office. I haven't posted until now because I hoped that I would have a change of heart and would stop worrying - there is no-one here who hopes more than I do, that I am overreacting and being overprotective. However in the end I thought I should just be honest and say how I feel, in the hope that you all won't get too angry with me!

What a nice surprise! Makes me glad I didn't lose my stub from the showing I went to yesterday. :2thumbs: