cazrider

Promotion of KoH

I was wondering what your impressions were of the promotional campaign for KoH in your country?

Here in the UK obviously we had the premiere with webcast. Orlando also did some radio and the infamous TRL interview (and I know one lucky ka-bloomie won't forget that in a hurry!). I was thinking, however, that it might have been good for Orlando to do some more "adult" TV ... if you see what I mean. For example, hubby probably wouldn't have known anything about KoH if it wasn't for the fact his wife (ie me!) was a complete Orlando-holic, and yet he really enjoyed it and was surely in the market for this movie.

I'm not suggesting Orlando didn't work hard to promote KoH, and I'm sure the whole experience has left him worn out, but I wondered whether his time might have been better spent with shows other than TRL. Let me hasten to add I'm not dissing TRL but clearly its target audience is on the younger side and I thought Fox wanted to bring in a more mature audience for KoH (as has been borne out by audience research). I guess my concern is that Orlando has consolidated his status as teen idol, which I thought he did not want to do.

Anyway, just my impression. Any other thoughts?

Here in the US there was quite a bit of prime time advertising. There were several spots on the NBA playoffs (ka-ching), which targets the audience the PTB wanted to reach. It was not pitched as an Orlando Bloom vehicle, but rather as a Ridley Scott ( . "from the maker of Gladiator") production about honor, valor, blood and guts, yada yada yada.

Of course, everyone here knows of the various shows Orlando appeared on leading up to the show. I doubt these spots did much good because the target audience would be saying "Orlando who?" Unless they had teenage girls in the house.

In the USA it was a more adult-oriented promotion campaign, I think. He did do TRL here as well, but there were more adult oriented shows . The cast did The Suite on A&E (Arts and Entertainment Netork, not aimed at teens or kids really). Orlando did Regis and Kelly which is aimed at the family, I suppose, but it's not some 'cool' show to watch, like TRL. He did Late Night with David Letterman which is aimed at 20-40 year olds, I'd say. There was a special on The History Channel. And Orlando and other members of the cast did the Today show and The Early Show which are morning news and entertainment shows. And he did Entertainment Tonight which I guess is aimed at just about anyone.

What I thought was unusual about the campiagn over here was that the promo spots ran mostly on History Channel and A&E, both cable channels. I would have liked to see more on the networks, ABC, NBC and CBS, which have a wider audience appeal.

Dairwendan

EDIT - OKay, thanks Gina! I didn't watch the playoffs so I didn't know that.

Well personally, I don't think the publicity worked well in the UK. The only thing I've seen on terrestrial television here is a few adverts on channel 4. For anyone not familiar with British television, this is one of our less prominent channels, not like BBC1 or ITV. TRL is on satellite which I, and a lot of other people, don't even have. I don't think the webcast would have attracted a lot of viewers that weren't already Orlando fans and I'm assuming that this was also screened on satellite television. The film doesn't even seem to have been reviewed on any of the daytime shows here, let alone evening shows.

The only other publicity I've been aware of was on radio. But anyone older than 25 is unlikely to be listening to the chart show on radio one and his other interview was early in the morning on a bank holiday - again on radio one.

I was quite jealous when I saw him being interviewed on different US programmes. The most we got was a brief clip from the press junket on GMTV.

Thank heavens for Ka-Bloom or I might have missed the fact that Balian is a reluctant hero in a nihilistic state of disillusionment and that he ate goat meat.

I'd say that in Australia the promotion was minimal. Obviously Orlando didn't make it out here. There were no recognisable Australian actors in the movie, which means no-one to do local promotions, which amounts to two chat shows - "Enough Rope" (serious adult show) and "Rove Live" (fun, younger audience) - plus radio. I don't listen to commercial radio so I don't know if there were any radio ads.

I noticed large billboards when I was in Melbourne, in strategic spots around the city and near the airport. These were the two versions that seem to have been used internationally. There were also TV commercials during top-rating shows such as "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost". It took me a while to pick up on these because I usually don't watch the commercials and there was no dialogue, just drum beats. I've seen one new commercial since the film was released which had glowing quotes from critics overlaid on the action.

[rant]

I think the marketing people went seriously wrong with the "From the Director of 'Gladiator'" line. People (including a heck of a lot of critics who should know better) went along expecting to see "Gladiator Redux". They expected a Maximus-clone leading role and a Russell Crowe-clone leading man. They did not expect a subtle performance and a conflicted, (dare I say it) reluctant hero. And of course they wanted goodies and baddies, the guys in white hats v. the guys in black hats.

I certainly hope some people in Fox marketing suffer some serious a**e kicking over this. They obviously didn't appreciate this this film did not fit the standard mould. [/rant]

Guest badgerbadger

Here in Norway KoH had loads of promotion. Loads. Orlando is huge here, so big billboards, articles and coverage in every movie/teen/popular magazine as well as interviews and reviews in every major newspaper. The 'Good Evening Norway' show on Saturday nights even had a lovely (bit short though) interview with 'Orlando. We also get Letterman. (Yay!) Oh, and TV spots all the time. That covers about every part of the media - except for radio. Can't say I've heard anything about KoH there..

I'm very pleased with the promotion of KoH in Norway! Though.. where was Orlando when the movie premiered in Trondheim? :oh: :lol:

It's strange how the movie wasn't promoted in the UK as much as in America. You would think that with a cast that consists of mainly Brits and a British director, it would get more advertizing in the UK rather than in America. But maybe they feel that the American audience doesn't really know Orlando as well as the British audience. Or that the American audience is tougher than the British. I really don't know what their reasoning was, but I think that they could've made a better effort in the UK.

Candi

Here in Japan it opened on the 14th, and there have been posters up in every single train station in central Tokyo.

Makes rush hour a bit more of a rush, KWIM? :naughty:

Not much in my hometown. A few TV commercial, very low key. The first weekend I went the second night and there were only 7 people in the theater.

Suejo

Here in Toronto, I didn't really see much, which surprised me. Last year, with Troy, there were lots of posters in our subway stations and on the sides of our buses, but I didn't see anything like that for KoH. Obviously, we get lots of the US stations, so get ET, etc., etc. Orlando was also interviewed on our Canadian entertainment show (name eludes me at present, Inside Entertainment or something like that, I think). Admittedly, I'm not a big TV follower (other than religiously watching LOST and ER), but I didn't really see that many trailers on TV during the times that I do watch. In terms of newspaper coverage, I only read the Toronto Star, so can't comment on the more right-wing newspapers here, but I did expect more from my Star. Geoff Pevere had an interview with Ridley Scott, which I posted here, but he didn't, apparently, interview Orlando or anyone else. If he did, there were no articles, as everyday during the lead up to KoH, I would crack open our A&E section first thing hoping for a nice in-depth interview and would feel disappointed. Lucky thing, I can come here and find interviews from all over the place!! One last note: even the ads for KoH in our paper were small - I expected big lavish print ads the day before and the day of, etc., but instead, they were quite tiny - I had to hunt through the section to find them.

Jules

Guest MDragon

I'm no advertising executive or anything, but something about the US advertising seemed off. It just didn't really seem like it was all it could have been. I don't know exactly. I know I saw plenty of commercials, but somehow it still seemed like it was lacking something. You go very local, and we live in a small town, but our local theater had a massive poster for it up, and it was up for a long time.

As I said, I don't have much intelligent to say about advertising. It really did seem like something was missing, but I couldn't tell you what.

What really surprised me was that there was none of the normal advertising in the movie section of last weekend's papers. Not one single ad. Not even a two column spread, or a 3 cm single column pic. It's almost as if Fox wants this film to crash and burn.

The week before the opening, I saw ads constantly on tv, but I don't think I've seen one since last Friday. I thought it was strange that the TV advertising has virtually stopped. You'd think they would have come out with a #1 movie or something last week. :(

I would just like to ask."What happened to the month long look at Kingdom of Heaven ET touted". I think I saw maybe 3 or 4 shows that had something about the movie.

I saw more about Mary Kay Latourno (sp?) in one week. A lot more than I care to know. I must have been looking in the wrong direction, because I have hardly seen any of the trailers on TV for the whole month of April. A lot of people in my office have said."Oh yeah.I think I saw something about that a couple of weeks ago". :angry: Perhaps I am being super sensitive about it, especially since I have been looking forward to this movie for over a year.

Bev

I Believe! :crusader:

Nothing overly spectacular overhere. I've seen some TV commercials, to my utter astonishment quite a number of newspaper articles about the movie and its cast and of course all the theatres that are showing the movie have HUGE billboards up (oh joy :lol: my local theatre has a lottery about those billboards, guess who entered in that about a kazillion times :whistle: )

However, I do remember billboards in every busstation and trainstation when POTC and Troy came out. And I was secretly hoping that they'd do it again with KOH. Guess who would have (very respectfully) have requested some of those from the agency? *grins*

But nope, nothing there. :rant:

Thank heavens for Ka-Bloom or I might have missed the fact that Balian is a reluctant hero in a nihilistic state of disillusionment and that he ate goat meat.

:lol: It's true.

But in Colombia (incredible as it sounds) the promotion was big enough. Orlando has an advantage: Here, he's not a movie star but the 'leaden actor' of KOH. Huge pictures at the teathers and even at the street, TV promotions and one or two good reviews at the Newspapers, no interviews :( but lots of 'behind the scenes'.

That's maybe nothing in Hollywood or Europe, but here it is a good advertising campaign.

Stardust.