DarkElven

167 posts in this topic

When I saw the film the second time, I paid close attention to Orlando's portrayal of Balian.

[rant on] I cannot figure out where the critics are getting some of their nonsense. The only part about Orlando that I recognized as him, were his expressive eyes. he stands different, walks different, talks different and yes, he's built different. And for those who say he is to slight in build, let's not forget that in 1134 or whatever year it was, they didn't have gyms and do bodybuilding as a hobby. They worked with their hands and that is where their muscles came from. Not from steroids or daily bar bell lifting. Have they ever heard the phrase, "Lean, mean, fighting machine"? I've seen plenty of men who were "slight of build" who could out work a man twice his size. :rant: Any fault with this movie, in my opinion, lies with the editing and the changing of historical facts. Not with Orlando's performance. [/rant off]

Whew, I feel better.

Someone mentioned continiuity errors.I think I caught one. It is when Balian and the one soldier from Ibelen are readying the city. In the first part of the scene, Balian has the burgandy colored tunic on as they walk along, then right before he knights the men, he's got on his battle gear. Talk about a quick change. :wink:

I'm still trying to understand why Sibylla saw her brother's disfigured face in the mirror as she chopped off her hair. Did anyone happen to catch that?

I think it was MovieImp who said that she cuts her hair off as she expects to be martyred in the coming hours/days ahead. Which I'm glad she mentioned, as I was a bit confused by that part when I saw it. I'm not entirely sure why she sees her brother's face, while she is doing this - maybe she feels that he has already martyred himself, or maybe she is just generally grief-stricken at the situation - knowing her brother worked so hard to maintain peace - maybe she feels that his work has been in vain?

To answer the question in the title of this thread, I have seen it once. I saw it with my hubby and daughter who both also enjoyed it. I am now officially on vacation until next Tuesday, so expect to be able to get in another viewing. I am eager to do so, as there are parts that I want to understand better.

Jules

I'm still trying to understand why Sibylla saw her brother's disfigured face in the mirror as she chopped off her hair. Did anyone happen to catch that?

I think it was MovieImp who said that she cuts her hair off as she expects to be martyred in the coming hours/days ahead. Which I'm glad she mentioned, as I was a bit confused by that part when I saw it. I'm not entirely sure why she sees her brother's face, while she is doing this - maybe she feels that he has already martyred himself, or maybe she is just generally grief-stricken at the situation - knowing her brother worked so hard to maintain peace - maybe she feels that his work has been in vain?

Jules

This is one of the things that suffered from the cutting out of backstory. I think it was Jan who said that Sibylla had a son with Guy who was four when Baldwin died. The child became King and Sybilla was his Regent. Unfortunately the child also developed leprosy and died (whether naturally or by euthanasia is debatable). In many cultures hair is cut off as a sign of grief. I don't know if that was true in Jerusalem at that time, but it's a possibility. It would explain why she saw her brother's face in the mirror because she was grieving for him as well as her child and the impending loss of Jerusalem.

Krissy

Guest tinkerbell

Well sadly :( I must say that I have only seen it once, it doesn't help that I am going through finals at university right now, but I really would love to see it again! :wub:

Guest earthcrosser

OK-went for my second viewing last night. I can't believe how much better it was the second time around.

Firstly-Zatarra-you are completely correct. Last night I too focused on Orlando in the lead role, and I was amazed at his talent (not that I didn't believe before)-I was able to really zone in on his Balian. I just can't even put into words what I felt. At least not at this point. For some reason he, and the whole movie itself, impacted me on a much more emotional level this time. I was truly amazed. The beauty of it all was breathtaking (his physical beauty not withsthanding, of course :wub: ).

I was under the impression that Sybilla cut her hair off because she knew she was going to die, as someone said, a martyr.it's probably something they would have done before they executed her anyway, symbolically. I figured she was just saving herself that bit of humiliation.

Just so you know, I went with a friend (her first time), and she thanked me profusely for draggin her to it-she said she probably wouldn't have gone otherwise-and her first comment to me as soon as the lights came up was "He puts Brad Pitt to shame." Another thing she whispered to me, about a half hour in-"the director LOVES his face-did you notice that?" Enough said. :wink:

:lol:

There's so much more I want to say, but I'm having a hard time verbalizing it.still really emotional over it all. :cry:

Guest earthcrosser

Sorry for the two posts in a row, but I have a question about the sequencing/editing.(my head is FULL of KOH right now :crusader: )

Remember the scene with Balian and Sybilla, when he's shirtless, and they're washing up (HOW could any of us forget?? :faint: )...

I thought it was veeeeery strange that they were so intimate with each other, considering what had transpired previously (dinner, one quick love scene). I just thought the intimacy of the scene suggested a much deeper and closer relationship, and I'm sure it's because other scenes from Ibelin were edited out. :rant: In addition, when Sybilla is leaving, she's on her horse, and she takes the charm that Balian is wearing around his neck in her hand and kisses it. This charm obviously has some significance, but we don't know what it is. We have no idea how long the time period was.was she in Ibelin for a day? A week or a month??

GOD I can't wait for the EE.

I've seen KOh 3 times. Once on the first morning it was released with a friend (who skipped work that morning to see it), then on the following Monday with my mum (part of mother's day pressie), then the Friday with 2 other friends.

One of the friends I saw it with on Friday is a major Star Wars fan. With each preview started to appear, he was whispering "please be Star Wars, please be Star Wars", then the trailer came on, and I swear, he was repeating it word for word, me thinks he's watched it a few too many times. So while the ads were playing, we were talking Star Wars. Then, not long into KOH you get Liam Neeson with "I am your father". We couldn't help ourselves, we cracked up laughing, which got us the "are you nuts?" looks from other audience members, which made it hard to stop laughing. It made for a very interesting conversation after the movie, blending KOH and SW (yes, we are nuts, but hey, nuts is fun).

One of the friends I saw it with on Friday is a major Star Wars fan. With each preview started to appear, he was whispering "please be Star Wars, please be Star Wars", then the trailer came on, and I swear, he was repeating it word for word, me thinks he's watched it a few too many times. So while the ads were playing, we were talking Star Wars. Then, not long into KOH you get Liam Neeson with "I am your father". We couldn't help ourselves, we cracked up laughing, which got us the "are you nuts?" looks from other audience members, which made it hard to stop laughing. It made for a very interesting conversation after the movie, blending KOH and SW (yes, we are nuts, but hey, nuts is fun).

:lol: That was Ani and I in Chicago!! :O The squee's could be heard in the cinema when the trailer came on!! :blush:

Ray :leg:

:lol: That was Ani and I in Chicago!! :O The squee's could be heard in the cinema when the trailer came on!! :blush:

I can confirm that! I was sitting right next to Ray with Ani on the other side. :lol:

I can confirm that! I was sitting right next to Ray with Ani on the other side. :lol:

I can confirm that also. I heard them clearly, and I was seated at least 5 to 6 rows in front of them. :rolleyes:

After a truly terrible week, I figured the best way to lift my spirits was some Balian goodness. :wub:

This is my second viewing, and I noticed a lot of new things. One was the gravedigger showing up in Jerusalem during the siege, though I remembered it at the beginning of the movie, from the end of the first viewing.

I also noticed plot issues that were clearly caused by editing.

As for Orlando, I still think he did an excellent job. From seeing what his natural mannerisms (as natural as he can be during interviews), he really transformed himself for this role. Like zatarra mentioned, he walks, talks, and even stands differently.

His mannerisms change throughout the film. He goes from timid and unsure of himself and his place to a strong and confident leader. It is too bad that part his character was edited out of the film.

I'll probably go see it again on my day off Monday. I didn't get the chance to see it last weekend, so I wanted to be one of the five people who won't go see Star Wars this week.

Guest Jeni

I saw it once with a friend, but have to admit that I didn't pay attention to the movie much. I kept trying to watch Orlando. :blush: I'm going to try to see it again next week sometime, though. I just have to see what my work schedule is like.

Guest AnotherSundance

I finally saw it for the first time tonight. I'll save my review for another thread, but suffice it to say that I will look forward to a "Director's Cut" DVD. I thought Orlando was wonderful. Any reviewer who described him as wooden doesn't understand subtlety.

I was pleased to find the theatre about 2/3rds full. Although they were lined up around the block to see Star Wars, there was still a respectable crowd in attendance.

:knight: ~ susan

Lossehelin Sat, May 21, 2005, 07:54 AM

QUOTE (miss_L @ Fri, May 20, 2005, 04:28 PM)

That was Ani and I in Chicago!! The squee's could be heard in the cinema when the trailer came on!!

Glad to know it's not just us here downunda in Aus who picked up on that!

earthcrosser, at my second viewing of KOH I could better see the time lapse in the Ibelin scenes. The well being built, crops growing and Sybilla getting her hands hennaed again. Henna decorations usually take over a month to disappear, so she must have been visiting Balian for several weeks, if not months.

In the DVD all shall be revealed, I hope.

Guest drakius

I will be seeing it for the third time tomorrow. Bringing a friend who has yet to see it. She wanted me to go shopping with her so I suggested she drag me shopping and I will drag her to the movies. However, since she finds Orlando very handsome she's not complaining about this compromise at all!

Next weekend my dearest friend is coming up from Philly to visit me. She hasn't seen KOH yet, though it is on the top of her list of movies to see. If she doesn't see it with her boyfriend this weekend, we will see it together next weekend.

Only once before in my many years have I seen a movie more than once in the theater. I'm quite enjoying this KOH addiction I'm experiencing at the moment.

FIVE! I've seen it 5 times now and it just keeps getting better and better! :shiny:

Mary :heart:

I saw it for the third time last night. It gets better with each viewing. :) Will see it again some time soon. And Leonard Maltin described Orlando perfectly as Balian.

FIVE!  I've seen it 5 times now and it just keeps getting better and better!  :shiny:

I've seen it 5 times too, Mary! I agree that it gets better with each viewing!

Seriously addicted to Balian. :whistle:

Having seen the film a few times now, one thing I have noticed is that early on Tiberias says that Balian's fight over the horse, is proclaimed in the streets and that Saladin himself sent word that it did not breach the terms of their peace: yet later on durng the siege Saladin asks "Who defends?" and says he didn't know who Balian was. That's even more strange since he must known of the incident at Kerak? (Mind you they are all men so they probably didn't talk to each other about it.) It does seems a bit like Mr Byrne asking Smythers, " Homer Simpson hey?".

The only other thing is that we never get to know what happens to Guy after he's put on that donkey, is Sybilla a widow at the end and free to remarry?

And the one question that everyone asks after having seen the film with me is; "So what are they going to do now, will they get jobs or something?" I can't see him going back to being a blacksmith, I like to think that they are riding off to some lands left to her by a distant relation in France.

But, oh my, it's a wonderful film. My Mum, who has now finally pulled Troy and LOTR and PotC together and worked out who Orlando is, just said at the end, "I wish that had been longer". I'll be buying her the DVD for Christmas.

tatoola

:crusader:

The only other thing is that we never get to know what happens to Guy after he's put on that donkey, is Sybilla a widow at the end and free to remarry?

And the one question that everyone asks after having seen the film with me is; "So what are they going to do now, will they get jobs or something?" I can't see him going back to being a blacksmith, I like to think that they are riding off to some lands left to her by a distant relation in France.

I was wondering the same thing, tatoola. I have a feeling the "extended" dvd will show us what happened to him.

I hadn't thought about what Balian and Sybilla would do after they left Jerusalem. That's a very good question.

I saw it for the third time tonight and I just wanted to say that the editing of the love scene was good. But I noticed that when they first go on the bed, Balian has his shirt on. As the scene is about to cut away you see that he is shirtless. All I keep thinking is "that was quick!" :lol:

Candi

My goal is five times - I'm at four now. I love every minute of this movie, and not just because of Orlando. I love the other characters, the action, the music, etc. I love that I can't help but sit in the theater with a smile on my face as I watch it. :shiny:

I've definitely got it bad for Balian. This last time there a was a full 15 minutes of previews, and I could barely wait. I remember thinking "Oh, come on, give me my Balian!"

I love my Knight in Chain-Mail. Yeah, baby! :naughty:

Christa

I saw it for the third time this afternoon with CaliDad and CaliSis. They both enjoyed it, but were a little lost with some of the chopped up plotlines. CaliDad says he would love to see the Director's Cut version for more plot and character development. He told me that he's glad he saw it! In fact, this morning, he was the one who asked me if we could leave the ka-Bloomettes with my parents so we could go see it.

I tried to be more objective of Orlando's acting this time. I still think he did a marvelous job!

Seen it 5 times now ! Once on opening day here in Belgium, once again the weekend after, and wait for it. 3 (yes, you read that correctly ! THREE !) times this very weekend. Twice on Friday evening - and despite Star Wars the theatre was both times about 2/3 filled up, and though I did spot some teenagers, most of the audience were couples - and one more time on the Sunday morning, the 11 am screening. What can I say ? I'm still not oblivious to the flaws I noticed the first time round, but I've grown to love this movie, and I think it's excellent despite those flaws. And Orlando is incredible as Balian. He simply blows me away every time I see him, and to me he has done a magnificent job here.

My personal record of watching a movie in theatres is 6 times (PotC), followed closely by 5 times for RotK, but I've got this feeling KOH is going to do even better. when I emerged from the theatre yesterday morning, all I wanted to do was buy another ticket and return. And believe me, it's nót only because of Orlando/Balian - the movie in itself is awesome too. I could go on for hours about it - which my hubby has meanwhile found out :lol: . Thank Heavens he finds it very good as well.

0 times, but I'm seeing it this weekend! I convinced my Bible study group to go, and I hope to see it atleast two more times after that! :)

Hanna