DarkElven

167 posts in this topic

I was almost set to go see it last night by myself, but was too tired and was afraid I'd nod off.  I'm going to try to get to the theater either today or tomorrow, though.

:knight:

Whoa Faye, I was going to go see it last night by myself also (hubby out of town), but was too damn tired. But I'm up for it tonight for sure!

Wish you were here, we could see it together. :hug:

Awwww, if only it was only a matter of minutes, instead of hours, to drive to each other. We're going to have to do one of those meet-halfway things sometime. I'll be thinking of you in the theater. Have some sweet treat for me when you're seeing it!

:hug:

I've seen it twice so far. I tell everyone I went to see it a second time because I got a little sick during the first time (which was true though), but I know it's a lame excuse because I would have gone to see it at least three times anyway! :rolleyes: So, the third time is still to come, probably in two weeks or so.

:)

Well, I was all set to go and see it again this evening, but was horrified at what I discovered when I went online to see where it was showing.

You see, I feel that this film is failing at the box office as a result of poor marketing. They were far too late in starting the marketing drive (unless you were a mad Orlando fan like us) and there just wasn’t enough hype about the film - look at Titanic, LOTR, The Matrix films, Star Wars etc. I work at a film school for goodness sake and up to a week before it came out, some people there hadn’t even hear of KOH! :O To my mind that is just shocking! And today I found out something even worse – we have two large cinema chains in South Africa, and the bigger one (which has a cinema closest to where I'm staying at the moment) is only showing KOH at 3 out of 20 cinemas in the greater Gauteng area, and that is quite a large area encompassing both Johannesburg and Pretoria – two whole cities and all satellite towns around them. This after one week after release. :wtf: I just couldn’t believe it. And yet everyone I’ve spoken to who has seen it has loved it. It seems that the critics want to bash Orlando no matter what. Personally, I don't think this film is an Oscar winner, but it has absolutely nothing to do with him and is still an awesome movie experience. And how can they call him weak, and slight with no screen presence? My god, I thought he ruled the celluloid every time he was on screen. I just hope that somehow the reviews on KaBloom get back to him – he deserves to see that there are people out there who see him and this film for what he/it is. It must be so hard for him to realize that KOH is not the hit he was so clearly wanting it to be – as we all were. And as it deserves to be. My sister says I shouldn’t take it so personally, but I can’t help it! :( *sigh* Enough ranting methinks becuase this has turned into a real mix of a post and should probably be in the box office/ reviews thread.

Let me just finish by saying that I still intend to see it again, though I'm going to have to go to a cinema at the other chain where it is at least showing on a few more screens. Damn critics and crap marketing. *grumble grumble*

Cheers

CC :meow:

Guest drakius

I just came back from my second viewing after having seen it on opening night.

The good news is that the friend who joined me this time, who would normally not go out of her way to see an Orlando movie though she has nothing against him, not only thought it was a very good movie but also thought Orlando did a great job and was perfect for the role. Donna felt the movie told exactly what it set out to tell and that it did it very well.

The bad news is that at this cinema (a small cinema with only 8 screens) KOH is playing 4 times a day and at the 3:30 PM sitting that we attended, there were only 4 other people in attendance. I could blame the lovely weather we had today, the first sunny Saturday in a few weeks. And there were very few cars in the parking lot so I don't think any of the movies playing were drawing a large crowd. But I still found it sad that there were only 6 people in the audience.

When buying my ticket I bought two extra tickets, which at $4.75 a pop was not going to hurt my wallet. And it made me feel that I was doing my small part in helping this movie look good at the Box Office.

I just saw it for the third time and I'm thrice in lurve. My Lord Balian, indeed. :wub:

I just saw it for the second time. The theater wasn't full, but there were a substantial amount of people there. Both men and women, boys and girls.

Candi

Just got home from my second viewing. *sigh*

I went by myself and slid down in my seat and enjoyed the beauty that is Orlando. And to second Geri's thoughts, My Lord indeed! :crusader:

I just saw it for the third time and I'm thrice in lurve.  My Lord Balian, indeed.  :wub:

Me three! Dad liked it, which is a compliment indeed. It's like pulling teeth to get him to a theatre. He was a little fuzzy on the ending, but I chalk that up to his red-eye flight home (to the East Coast) from California ~ he landed at 6am here. I think he was teasing Mom and me though, when he spoke about "love scene? what love scene?"

BITE ME, SPIDURDAD!!! :P

I watched it a second time earlier this evening by myself, but I bought two extra tickets, just in case I don't get to see it tomorrow with my sister. I wanted to make sure our ticket sales showed, even though we may not make it to the theater. If we do get to go, all the better! I went to an 8:30 show, and the theater was full! :2thumbs:

There was no applause at the end like there was at the ka-Bloomie screening at KOHn, but in my heart I was giving Orlando a standing ovation. :wub: I believe I cried a little bit more during this second viewing. I truly felt for Balian, especially when Godfrey died, and when Balian buried his wife's cross necklace in Golgotha. I'm very proud of Orlando's work in this film, and he has every right to be proud of himself. :clap:

Edited by CaliMom

TernellJade and I are heading out today to bask in all the glow that is Balian (will be the third time for me, 2nd time for Ternell) for a 1:10 PM screening. I'm even dragging my friend Susan along, who initially groaned "you two are gonna be going on and on about that Orlando guy, aren't you?" Yeah, so your point is?? :rolleyes: I told her it was her duty, as an American, and a friend of a ka-Bloomie.to see the movie at least once.

Guest Cl@re

Just notched up my second viewing after yesterdays York KB Meet Up and I think I actually enjoyed it more this time around. Certain parts just made that bit more sense. I found my first viewing had a lot of infomation to take in while concentrating on not gushing too much.

My favourite moment still remains the same as my first viewing.

Saw it for the third time last night! Mom and Stepdad wanted to see it, and took me along for commentary. :lol: They both "got" the movie and Orlando's portrayal of Balian, and we had an interesting discussion about religion vs. spirituality and the Crusades vs. modern conflict afterward.

As Cl@re noted, it gets better with each viewing. This time I noticed a few more details and the whole thing seemed to flow even better.

As Cl@re noted, it gets better with each viewing. This time I noticed a few more details and the whole thing seemed to flow even better.

Agreed. Third time, done and done. I too picked up on details this time I hadn't noticed before, some nuances in the dialogue, some foreshadowing at the beginning of the movie, etc.

Got home a little while ago from my second viewing. As others have said, I find that things that bothered me the first time didn't bother me as much the second time around. I know there is character development missing, but it didn't matter that much. The story got told. Even the ending was more hopeful to me. The first time I was left scratching my head. This time I recognized that Balian had to go back to France to close the circle; to be given the opportunity to make the choice again. By choosing not to go back to Jerusalem he proved he had learned his lessons and stepped up onto the next level of the spiral.

He needed to go back to let himself see just how much he had grown and to accept what Godfrey had told him: "What held you here is dead." That freed him to accept rebirth and go off to start a new life with Sybilla. I wish there had been a teeny bit more of an acknowledgement to his dead wife. It would have been nice if Sybilla showed that she recognized and honored the life he'd had before he met her, but I guess that's a small quibble when the whole film is so successful at getting its point across.

Krissy

I've seen it 4 times. I saw it first on the first day it came out. The second time was on friday. Third time was yesterday morning and the forth time was yesterday night. :shiny: My parents think I'm kinda crazy, but that's okay. I can't wait to see it again.

I got home from my second viewing about an hour ago, and I have to agree with Cl@re and everyone else who said it's better the second time. I know I enjoyed it more, and noticed a lot more details this time around.

When I stopped to get a drink before the movie the guy behind the concession stand asked what movie I was seeing. When I told him KOH he said "Oh, that's a great movie." :) I told him that I knew it was great and that it was my second time seeing it! :whistle:

Karen

OK. Got back a while ago from number 4. It was a real pleasure to see it with another Orlando fan who is almost as nuts as the rest of us. :wink:

I also noticed things I'd missed before and cried more when Baldwin died. And, can anyone tell me, at the end just before the seige begins, there's a guy among the peasants being knighted that I would swear was one of the grave diggers from the beginning of the movie. Did anyone else notice this, or am I just seeing things? :blink:

Well shoot! Guess I may just have to see it again, huh? Oh, the sacrifices I make! :whistle:

ZB :innocent:

As of today, I've seen it seven times. :ph34r:

I feel like it's the one, concrete, meaningful thing I can do for Orlando to help and support him.

I read an interesting snippet today at hollywoodreporter.com about box office receipts that I found encouraging. I don't have a subscription, so couldn't access the entire article, but, to paraphrase, the film may reach $175 million overseas. which is excellent news.

I've seen it twice and I'm glad I did. I found the first viewing rather disappointing. This time I decided I'd go watch it for entertainment only and not look for historical innacuracies or things that were missing from the movie.

I caught a few things in dialogue that I'd missed before and they made quite a bit of difference in the way I looked at the movies message.

And, can anyone tell me, at the end just before the seige begins, there's a guy among the peasants being knighted that I would swear was one of the grave diggers from the beginning of the movie.  Did anyone else notice this, or am I just seeing things?  :blink:

You're not imagining things ZB. I noticed that guy too, and because he has such a distinctive face and they took such care to focus on him more than once I expect we'll learn more about him when the DVD comes out. My guess is that he was someone who was sympathetic to Balian back in France and followed him when he went off to join his father. Don't know if he could be called a friend, since Balian doesn't ever pay him any special heed, but he's clearly someone who admires and respects Balian a lot.

Krissy :hug:

And, can anyone tell me, at the end just before the seige begins, there's a guy among the peasants being knighted that I would swear was one of the grave diggers from the beginning of the movie.  Did anyone else notice this, or am I just seeing things?  :blink:

You're not imagining things ZB. I noticed that guy too, and because he has such a distinctive face and they took such care to focus on him more than once I expect we'll learn more about him when the DVD comes out. My guess is that he was someone who was sympathetic to Balian back in France and followed him when he went off to join his father. Don't know if he could be called a friend, since Balian doesn't ever pay him any special heed, but he's clearly someone who admires and respects Balian a lot.

Krissy :hug:

Gravedigger is played by Martin Hancock who was Spider in Coronation Street. I would think there will bit of backstory in the extended dvd.

ETA: To clarify it is the same person playing the Gravedigger at the beginning of the film and the one amongst the knighted peasants later on.

Just got back from seeing the film for the 7th time. I am thinking of going to see it again but not sure I can stand seeing the same old Star Wars trailer, at least War of the Worlds and Batman Begins mix theirs up a bit.

At first it looked like it was going to be just Aniethen, me and one other person, then a bus load arrived, including an old couple, she obviously didn't like the gory bits but her husband appreciated Balian's street fighting tactics.

The film gets better and better with each viewing, even the scenes where it had clearly been cut didn't affect my enjoyment. Orlando's performance is wonderful and so is everyone else's.

Edited by stopjaxh

Well, I've seen it twice now and both times enjoyed it. I'm not really with some of you who have said it gets better with each viewing (although it's early days!). This second time I enjoyed it immensely but just felt it lacked tension on my second viewing. This is no bad thing really, considering I already knew what was going to happen, but it's not quite a "Return of the King" for me, where I went 4 times and still watch it from time to time but still feel the tension of the first time I saw it.

Having said that, I probably shouldn't compare KoH with RotK... almost as bad as those critics comparing KoH with Gladiator! :rant:

What I did find, second time around, was that I still felt Orlando's performance was quite amazing. Having read some negative reviews since my first viewing I studied Balian carefully (what an effort.... not!) and I honestly cannot fault his portrayal.

I'll probably see it once more, just for Orlando's performance, but can't wait for the extended DVD.

Guest Cl@re
Just got back from seeing the film for the 7th time.  I am thinking of going to see it again but not sure I can stand seeing the same old Star Wars trailer, at least War of the Worlds and Batman Begins mix theirs up a bit.

Oh my god, stopjaxh and Aniethen, you two went and saw it again today? That is dedication. I'm suprised I didn't hear you scream out in pain when the Star Wars trailer came.on.yet.again!

No spotlights this time then? Or mad women waving their hand in front of the projector as the trailers ended? :lmao:

YES, ZB. I saw that, too. No need to get eyeglasses.

During the second viewing, I noticed the elongated head/face shape resemblance. It's too bad that during the crossroads gravedigging scene, the camera didn't rest longer on his face, and that the scene wasn't so grey and colorless. With repeated viewings, I did manage to match up his mishapen right ear and his distinctive nose. (Where is Freeze Frame and Rewind when you need them?! I SERIOUSLY tried pushing the button onthe invisible remote in my hand!) He seemed to have acquired an angry red scar across his nose since leaving France. In Jerusalem, he was in the crowd undergoing the imprompto knighting and he stood behind and to Balian's right during the "Who has claim?" speech. After the speech, when Balian turned to walk away, he doffed his rounded helmet to Balian, who I think showed a spark of recognition. I'll confirm that on the next viewing unless someone beats me to it.

I can't say that I blame the gravedigger for leaving his backwater village; life must have not held much promise for one of his social station.

I'm still trying to understand why Sibylla saw her brother's disfigured face in the mirror as she chopped off her hair. Did anyone happen to catch that?

Ah, this film just keeps getting better and better and the layers and details are exposed. I'll be noticing the continuity errors next. :whistle:

Hi Hey Sailor

Yes it is the same guy, I think that Balian just pauses to ask him "Hey, aren't you Spidur from Coronation St?" but then decides that now is not the right time for an autograph.

For those of you who live outside the UK, and are denied this fabulous institution, Coronation St (aka Corrie or the Street) is our longest running and (sometimes) most popular soap opera. So he's a famous face here from the days when he used to play a character called Spidur, even though he left the Street sometime back. Apart from being a grave digger he pops up quite a bit in the crowd scenes during the seige, at the speech and even gets his arm fixed by Sibylla. Maybe Ridley Scott just liked his face - very distinctive nose.

If I lived in that grim, and rather cold, little village, and I worked as a grave digger and had to cut the heads of suicides, I'd take to the road in search of a new/better world as well. Any way with the boss being dead an' all perhaps it was expedient to leg it.

I recognised him in the trailer - someone confirmed the sighting for me - if I could find the thread I'd credit them - apologies to whoever that was.

Saw the film for the fifth time last night - so far every time I see it I like it more. I'm going for the variety of cinemas - the local flea pit, the multiplex and the trendy indie cinema in town. But wherever I am and whoever I'm with I love this film.

tatoola

P.S.Ian McKellan is currantly doing a guest appearance in Coronation Street for a few weeks. But you probably all know this from the Heat Magazine interview.