Lianna

62 posts in this topic

Spoilers ahead!. Sorry, I haven't figured out how to hide spoilers, yet. :paperbag:

I am still overwhelmed because of this film. I just loved it!

The battle scenes, the settings, the costumes are fantastic.

Balian .I think this is the most poignant character I have ever seen- I'm not just saying because it was played by Orlando.

Here goes my favourite moments:

1- His first scene at the blacksmith's, the suffering in his eyes and at the same time the rage he was feeling by the loss of his wife.I dropped my first tear -even hubby was impressed, "I can't even imagine such pain.well done, Orlando" he said.

2-At the hill where Jesus died:"How can you be in hell, when you are in my heart". And then, he buries the crucifix , stayed there, the night falls down and he couldn't find the anwers or relief for his pain. I can swear, people in the theatre held their breath.

3-Sybilla says "Between two people there is only light" and she blows out the candle. At this moment I could :bat: Sir Ridley and his :censor: editing ideas!-Sorry, but I had to get this off my chest!

4-Considering the present times, I think Tiberius said the only "dangerous "line of the movie "I came here thinking I was fighting for God. But I learned that we are fighting for wealth and land"( not sure if the line was exactly this way). The disappointed look on Balian's face was incredible.

5-And at the end of the movie when Balian and Sybilla were riding, and he passes beside the place his wife was buried. I felt like he was trying to move on and recompose his life with her, was in peace with himself, but he truly, truly loved his wife and would love her till the end of his days.

That's it!

Gi

Edited by Gionanna

I absolutely adored this movie, even if it lacked a little bit of character development. Orlando did such a great job, in every scene. But there are a few scenes that stuck out:

"How can it be that you're in heaven when you're in my heart."

Just... Beautiful.

The end, when he stops a moment in front of his wifes grave. The thought of it still makes my heart ache.

The scene between Balian and Sybilla when they're eating and the (hardly-existing) love scene that follows not so long after that.

The scene between Balian and Guy, when he takes away that horse-riding stick or whatever it was. Hearing Orlando deliver such an angry and annoyed line as he gives it back to him, I was like "Yeah man!". :)

When he kills the priest. Raged Orlando. Haven't seen that before.

"We we don't have. is water."

I loved it how his British accent came through so clearly when he spoke the word "water". :)

I'm gonna stop now, because I will end up naming every Orlando-scene.

:wave:

What stands out most of all for me, is the part at Ibelin, when Balian and his people are digging for the well, and then when the children run to him when the water actually starts to come, and call 'Sidi, Sidi'.  Made me think of Orlando's dog  :) , and I just loved the fact that he seemed to be happy there, settling in a new life and a new country.

I love the movie and there are too many scenes that I love to list them all, but I just have to agree with Fiore on this one. The way the children call him Sidi (which means Lord) and how Balian has won over the utter respect of "his people" in this short time. How he's really coming into his own, realizing that he can do good, can be a leader, is so poignant and beautiful. And the fact that in real life, he named his dog Sidi, makes me think that Orlando liked those scenes too.

:wub:

Aliza

The scenes at Ibelin were some of the best. I got so mad when I read a review that made fun of the digging of the wells. I don't remember the exact words, but it was something to the effect that these people who had lived in this country thousands of years didn't know how to dig a well until a blacksmith from France showed them how. Of course that wasn't the case at all. I'm sure that they had wells. Balian was digging wells for irrigation and developing the land which was something his father never did. You could tell they loved Balian for this.

I loved it how his British accent came through so clearly when he spoke the word "water". :)

Yep, I noticed that and loved it too. :wub: You can also hear it clearly when he talks about the "walls." Must be the "W" that does it.

I'm shamelessly planning my fifth viewing for Monday, since I have it off from work. Yes, I'll be spending part of my holiday with a certain knight I'm obsessed with... I can NOT get enough of this movie!

Christa

I loved it how his British accent came through so clearly when he spoke the word "water".

Ah, Leia.......I loved that line too. The way his accent carressed the word "water".....I just melted :wub:

Another scene that I loved (and I have loved every one of them mentioned by all of you so far) is the scene at the end, when all the Christians are leaving Jerusalem, Balain joins Sybilla walking toward the sea, and they hold hands and they smile :w00t: .OMG he is so handsome when he smiles !!!

Soo many wonderful scenes is this movie have already been mentioned, and I agree with each and every one of them. Those and the rather funny parts, like L_G mentioned, where Balian throws the stick back at Guy and Guy "miraculously' plucks it from the air. I wonder how many bloobers were made there. :lol:

But two of the scenes that stood out in my mind were these.

The wry sarcasm in his voice and eyes (MAN can that guy act with his eyes or what :wub: ) when he says to the patriarch "you've taught me a lot about religion".

For me that single line just about sums up the whole madness behind the history of Jerusalem.

And the loving caress of the blossoming flowers at the end (ohh.. to be those flowers :naughty: ). To me it soo clearly depicts the fact that he's welcoming a new stage in his life, that his future will be bright and that he has come to terms with his dark days and sadness. A new spring, a new beginning. Loved that analogy.

And the loving caress of the blossoming flowers at the end (ohh.. to be those flowers  :naughty: ). To me it soo clearly depicts the fact that he's welcoming a new stage in his life, that his future will be bright and that he has come to terms with his dark days and sadness. A new spring, a new beginning. Loved that analogy.

You put it so beautifully, Ellen. :notworthy: Remember how we were all sighing at this scene while seeing KOH in Chicago? :lol: BEAUTIFUL scene. It also reminds me of Legolas gently stroking his arrow in Fangorn Forest.

Just watching his hands stroking those flowers sent shivers up and down my spine. :faint: That a man who had fought so fiercely could appreciate the beauty of tender new buds made me love him even more. :wub:

Manawydan.you took the words right out of my mouth when you said, "a new Spring, a new beginning" for Balian. No man deserved a new beginning more than him.

My new moment is, the way Balian look holding his sword high above his head in the desert to fight not to give the horse. "No!" The eyes, expression,voice. Just perfectly balanced in its presenting confliction, obligation at once. Intense.

Oh yeah, touching the flowers at the end. Loved that. And when the Crusaders come then and ask for him, and he repeats he is the blacksmith and would not go back to fight again. A man who knew it was time to stop the bloodshed. The resolve in his face was perfect. Yes, he does act with his eyes so well.

And so many other scenes people have listed here, I agree were excellent.

Guest Iris426

I'm going to post a review that includes this (never too late!), but my favorite, FAVORITE part of the movie is the entire exchange between Balian and Sibylla pre-kiss. Perfection, utter perfection: the lighting, his golden face pensive in the glow of candlelight, the tiny mouse scurrying 'round in his shoe. The way she just glides into view from the darkness, and he turns to see her, fixing her with that knowing, penetrating stare. And the way she first touches him.just the way her palms gently press on the center of his chest and slide outward, the slight decline of his head as he silently watches her complete the motion.

Alright, I'll stop there. I liked it a wee bit, alright? Point made. :ph34r: