Lianna

62 posts in this topic

I absolutely loved the fight scene where Orlando was under the tree and the three men came to kill him. He just took that rock and began hammering one of the guys, hitting him over and over again with such swift ferocity, not giving the man a moment to recover himself. that was classic. :wub:

And when he said something along the lines of "You would bring this fight to the Holy Land?! COME ON!!' :w00t:

He was so badass, I just about died.

Guest earthcrosser

That is so right!!!

:cheer:

I do have another question, actually.

Did anyone else have trouble understanding Saladin's accent? I loved his character, but sometimes, I just couldn't follow him. :ph34r:

That is so right!!!

Did anyone else have trouble understanding Saladin's accent? I loved his character, but sometimes, I just couldn't follow him. :ph34r:

Yes, several times. I was OK when he was speaking loudly, but when he speaking softly, I was losing words. And I was in a theater with an excellent, THX-certified sound system.

OT: I love your siggie and avatar. Were they made for you specially or does Molokai have a gallery for people to browse and select from? Thanks.

Guest earthcrosser

That is so right!!!

Yes, several times. I was OK when he was speaking loudly, but when he speaking softly, I was losing words. And I was in a theater with an excellent, THX-certified sound system.

OT: I love your siggie and avatar. Were they made for you specially or does Molokai have a gallery for people to browse and select from? Thanks.

I felt like I was really missing something, because just about everything that was said in the movie was pretty important, you know? :paperbag:

As for my sig and avi, Molokai made mine for general consumption, I think! :wub: She's so good at it-if you go to her thread in Graphics Request, you'll find these. Feel free to use them, if it's alright with her (which I'm sure it is!)

Cheers! :wave:

There were just so many good scenes, but I'll keep it short.

Click For Spoiler
- The scene where Balian and his men stand between the Muslims and the castle at Kerak. That aerial shot is just awesome. I actually had goosebumps all over at that scene, intensified by the amazing soundtrack too.

- Balian's speech inside the walls of Jerusalem before they went into battle. I told someone that the speech could have used a bit more meat to the bones but yeah, just the message of it and the way the scene was shot makes me tingle.

- When Balian was being knighted by his father. It was such a solemn scene but full of emotions. Balian never spoke a word but you can see the hesitation in his eyes as he was asked to kneel and then given the sword.

Sallahdin's accent was fine by me, as I interact with Arabs on a regular basis at work. The funny accent though was from one of his aides, the one who said 'You promised us Jerusalem'. He was struggling with English but bravo to him for pulling it off.

Jean

So much of it, and I echo what so many of you have said. I've only seen KoH once (shame on me... will go back this Friday) and it's the Golgotha scene that sticks in my mind the most.

I also loved the scenes in Ibelin. For any of you who remember I went to Morocco last year, that was where I went on my buggy tour around Ouarzazate the day after they had finished filming the Ibelin scenes. It all looked highly familiar with the palm trees, almost like a mini oasis. It was also beautifully shot and Orlando seemed so relaxed and into the role. Loved it!

OK, I might get :tomato: ed for this, but there ere some bits in the movie that weren't supposed to be funny, but made me laugh (rather like the "They're taking the hobbits to Isengard!" line for MM :lol: ).  These are they:

Balian getting hit on the head during the first fight in the forest (everything was moving so quickly, but I think the Hospitaler did it). It just went 'doink' and I laughed.  Sorry.

The sudden and slightly startling strains of music just as Balian and Sybilla started to kiss.  They were a bit 'Let's get it on'-ish, and I laughed (but only very slightly).  Sorry.

The bit where Balian returned the whip to Guy - he threw it and it magically went straight back into Guy's hand (I actually had the fleeting thought "Wow, Guy is magnetic.  Cool.").  I wondered how many takes it had taken, and I laughed.  Sorry.

This doesn't detract from the movie at all - I seriously loved it.  Did anyone else notice these things, or am I warped :blink: ?

LG :paperbag:

When Balian said "Let them come!" I couldn't help thinking "He's channeling Theoden!" :giggle: :paperbag:

And you're right. It doesn't detract from the overall power of the film. (Not nearly as much as the *missing scenes*.)

Krissy

Did anyone else notice these things, or am I warped :blink: ?

LG :paperbag:

Well, LG, of course you're warped! Sorry. :lol:

I laughed at the "doinking" too. (love that word "doink". it so fits! When I go back to see the film again I'll probably hear "doink" in my head at that moment.) I think it was supposed to be kind of funny. Hospitaler seemed to have a rather wry sense of humor.

David Thewlis was great in this, in my humble opinion.

My unexpected funny moment was when Saladin's messenger came to demand his sister's body back(along with a few other things). It starts out with Guy saying something to the man like, "Speak!", and then he does this funny little wriggle. He did the nasty sarcasm really well the rest of the time, but it sort of went over the top then. Besides, I just can't watch Celeborn wiggle his tushie like that. It's just not right.

And what about Brendan Gleesan(sp?) doing that crazy marching step in the cell? :blink: Even Guy thought it was a bit much.

My favorite moments were mostly nonverbal, like that nearly-going-off-the-edge look Balian gets when Godfrey tells him that his reason for staying in the village is dead. He expresses so much with his eyes that words really weren't needed a lot of the time. When he did speak he often added another layer to the impact or meaning of the words with his expression. I hope that hour of extra footage on the extended DVD will have a lot more of his performance.

Done.

TF

:paperbag:

I also loved a lot of the scenes but the one that stands out is the one I can remember the less. Go figure?

There is this scene where I think he is talking to someone else but then he smiles, but it wasn't just any smile it was a powerful smile that made me and my friend just smile by looking at it!

It made me forget what was happening in that part of the movie and just pay attention to that smile, it was a good, meaningfull, sincere smile that brought me into his character and the sincerity of it.

I also love it when

Click For Spoiler
he gets his land and helps the people work on the well to get water. It was nice that his character helped out instead of watched.

Well those were my top two. :throb: He was great!

Guest earthcrosser

OHMIGOD! That was Celeborn!

:faint:

I can't believe I didn't notice that! (Yes yes, where have I been.)

WOW! He looked so familiar! And what a great bad guy he was!

... the part at Ibelin, when Balian and his people are digging for the well, and then when the children run to him when the water actually starts to come, and call 'Sidi, Sidi'. Made me think of Orlando's dog :) ,

I love all the movie, but this one is one of my favorites as well, and it made me remember the cute Sidi.

And that scene where Balian's horse is moving and he calm down him and says "you're hurt him"... :wub:

There are many scenes worth to re-watch, I had seen the movie twice and I want to see it again! Oh, I think I really love this movie and it's not just for Orlando being the leading man.

I also loved a lot of the scenes but the one that stands out is the one I can remember the less. Go figure?

There is this scene where I think he is talking to someone else but then he smiles, but it wasn't just any smile it was a powerful smile that made me and my friend just smile by looking at it!

It made me forget what was happening in that part of the movie and just pay attention to that smile, it was a good, meaningfull, sincere smile that brought me into his character and the sincerity of it.

One of the brightest smiles I remember came when he had just arrived in Jerusalem. He was talking to the guy he met in the desert while the horse was drinking. After he tells the guy he is free to go, he gives him a gorgeous smile.

~squiggles

After seeing it today for the second time, there were many scenes that are worth mentioning here, but one in particular stands out.

When the Hospitaller and Balian go to see Tiberias and king Baldwin for the first time, they are walking through an inner courtyard next to a fountain in all their knightly regalia and Balian does this incredible strut. It blew me off my seat.

Another one is the one squiggles mentions in her previous post.

It will be hard for me to choose, because there were so many great scenes, but the opening scene, where we see Balian for the first time, and he is forging swords. It showed the pain anger Balian was feeling. Beautifully delievered by Orlando. Then, like everyone said, Balian working on the irrigation. Orlando was NATURAL in this scene, and was wonderful to watch. And it was only time that we saw Balian being somewhat happy. And the background music, Balian, was wonderful to listen to. I think it fit the scene and Balian perfectly. Then the siege of Jerusalem. Saladin sees his army's seige towers fall, and realizes this Balian person isn't to be taken lightly. The change of scene between these two men gave me goosebumps. Balian giving that look of satisfaction, and Saladin acknowledging Balian in a way. VERY powerful. Orlando has the presence to match that of Ghassan. The exchange of terms beween Balian and Saladin. I am VERY impressed with how Orlando handled this scene. He wasn't in any way overshadowed by Ghassan. "What's Jerusalem worth?" Saladin's answer. "Nothing." Then turning back, Saladin answers again, "everything" in what I thought was a playful tone. Can't wait to see more on the extended version.

A few moments that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

After the fight in the forest, Balian tells his father that the men had a right to claim him, and his father answers, "So do I." I was so impressed by what Orlando brought to Balian in just a very few seconds. Watch the eyes---you can read Balian's thoughts there when he realizes that his father truly wants him.

His voice when he shouts, "Fight me fairly!" and "Is this why you came to the Holy Land?"

Waking up in Jerusalem. The smoke (incense?) curling upward and Balian's hand running along the stair rail as he descends.

All the Ibelin scenes and all the gorgeous Balian-by-candlelight and Balian-by-firelight scenes. Thank you Sir Ridley! :notworthy:

The huge Balian closeup when he tells Sybilla, "Do you think I am like Guy--that I would sell my soul?" GAH! :faint:

My son commented on the fight between Balian and the Templars. He really liked it that Balian had to strike repeatedly because too many times the movie hero makes it look too easy---knocks someone out with one blow. (Not advocating violence for the sake of violence, just an observation. If you were fighting for your life, it would be a brutal struggle.)

Sybilla looking up at the bombardment during the siege at night and hiding her face from Balian when he goes to have his wound tended.

The sound of the flag when Balian hurls it off the top of the wall.

So many beautiful details in this film! I've seen it four times now and truly enjoyed it more after repeated viewings.

And l_g, I have to admit too that I sort of giggled when the first few beats of music started after Sybilla blew out the candle. :paperbag:

I loved the very first bit where he was pounding away at that metal in his blacksmith's shop. The intensity in his eyes and the graceful way his arm moved.

The big love scene was beautifully done too. Hot, but tasteful.

Next, these are not Orlando moments, but I loved Liam Neeson, who is just a damn fine actor in everything he does, and Marton Csokas (a.k.a. Celeborn.is he just lovely with his normal dark hair or what??)

Hummmm.the whole movie. :)

Actually, I LOVED the scene where Balian rides into Jerusalem on that big, black stalion.bareback. It was short, but I loved it just the same. I was very impressed with Orlandos' riding ability. :2thumbs:

Bev

Ladyhawke said: Waking up in Ibelin. The smoke (incense?) curling upward and Balian's hand running along the stair rail as he descends.

I love that scene!! Or any scene where he is sleeping. :faint:

All of the movie was droolworthy, actually.

LG, my laugh moment is when Sybilla and Balian are having tea or dinner or whatever. Sybilla is sucking on her fingers to clean them and Balian is watching her with a smile on his face. Sybilla says, "What?" and Balian replies, "It's been a long time since I've seen a woman eat."

I just found that line that Balian says so funny! :whistle: :lmao:

Candi

Guest alysia

I think my favourite moment is when Balian is looking out across the desert from the top of the city walls and realises the enemy will be coming soon. Again it's all in the eyes in this scene (mush!) :wub:

Also I just loved Sybilla's eye make up. Just gorgeous, I want to try and re-create it on myself even though I'll probably just end up looking like a panda or something!

I've only seen it once though, I'm sure I will find many more favourite moments when I watch again.

Alysia

Also, I loved the moment when Balian buries his wife's cross under the stones.  His line, "how can you be in hell when you are in my heart?" was touching and beautifully delivered.

:faint: Amazing. What a romantic knigth he is!. I love this movie not just because Orlando is in it but because it is a real movie, one which makes me think about real persons in odd circumstances.

Two favorites:

1. In the desert, at the oasis, he's on his knees, slurping water, black hair falling all around his face, he hears the horse nickering and looks up. The glimpse we get of his eyes through that hair is just.primal. <gulp>

2. At the end of his chat with the king in which the king tells him "perhaps when I am helpless, you will come and protect me," he smiles gently and softly, the light is golden, the angle of his face is perfect and the kindness shining out of his eyes makes me melt.

Can't WAIT for the DVD.

I think everyone has already mentioned my favorite parts, but let me reiterate with my two cents worth:

1. Balian working alongside his people, digging ditches, getting dirty with the rest of them rather than standing aloof. "Ibelin" plays at this point, that's my favorite song, too.

2. The absolute quiet and peace as he sits under the stars and talks to god. So beautiful and serene.

3. The scene where the three Templars come to kill him. Sitting calmly under a tree one second, bashing his fist into a man's helmet the next. Go, babe, go!

As far as favorite quotes, tops has to be: "Decide not to be a queen, and I will come to you." Um, excuse me - queen? I was never a queen, darling, come to ME!

I also like his: "I say let them come! Come on! Come on!" as they prepare for the breaching of the wall. Definite rush. He also says "Come on!" to the three Templars. Very effective.

I love this entire so movie so much it's ridiculous. It's a wonderful thing. The only thing that bothers me is that even after four viewings I realize there are still characters that I don't know the names of. Some are just never mentioned in the film. I also have decided that the blonde guy that is with Balian in Messina must die on the shipwreck, though you never clearly see him die. I liked him.

Christa

Of course, most of my favorites have already been mentioned. :wink:

But to comment on a few that just knock me off my feet.

*The moment right after Syblla blows out the candle and she and Balian come together.and the heat you feel between them.and that music begins to play.gulp

*I love when Godfrey begins Balian's instruction in fighting.love to see Orlando with a sword.

*When Godfrey says to Balian, "What made it your place is now dead." The emotions that move across Orlando's face.you see the depth of his pain and regret.

*Here's a geeky KOH moment to go along with one of my favorite parts. On opening night the theater was full.and with interesting groupings of people. When we get to the scene where the bishop asks Balian if he'll make the men better fighters by making them knights.many of the crowd in the theater yelled "yes!" in unison with Balian! Then we all looked around laughing with eachother. Classic, just classic! They too had obviously watched the trailers way too many times! :lol:

Guest marshmallow
I also liked the bit when Guy's men came to kill Balian, which started with him sitting under the tree. That was great, really powerful and beautifully shot.

I also loved that scene. He looked like a lost boy when he was sitting under the tree. And then he is fighting with the men, and.. :faint:

-After the shipwreck, when he tries to get the horse, but it runs away, that was funny.

-When he is working with the people of Ibelin digging.

-In Ibelin, when he is waking up and there are all those girls giggling (wonder why. :whistle: )

-And in the battle, when he looks where the muslims are putting the flag, and he goes to take it off. That look in his eyes saying like "What the :censor: do you think you are doing?"

These are just a few of the scenes that I liked.

You all make me want to see this movie again, and I've 'only' :lol: seen it five times by now. I know I've already posted in this thread, but here are a few more of my favourite scenes :

- when Godfrey says to him 'what made it your place is now dead' - oh God, the look in Balian's eyes, and the slight movement of his head, as if to deny Godfrey's words ánd the pain he's feeling. Makes my heart almost break for him, and though I very well realise Godfrey speaks the truth there and in fact tries to hélp Balian, it makes me want to slap him in the face for saying that.

- Balian catching up with Godfrey and his company, and asking about Jerusalem, whether he can erase his sins there. The tone of his voice, and the burning of his eyes. Now on top of all his grief and pain, he also feels the guilt of having committed murder. I also love it how you see Godfrey's face soften, and the resignation in his voice when he says 'Haven't we all ?'. Along with the optimism in 'We can find out together' - it shows his joy that after all his son will go with them. And that Balian came to him for help.

- when Godfreys company is mucking around in the camp in the woods, and Balian is sleeping. There is something so vulnerable about him, it completely chokes me up.

And I could go on and on - about every single scene that's been mentioned in this thread has to be one of my favourites too !... the more times I see this movie, the more times I keep silently mumbling to myself 'oh, this is such a great moment. And this one. and this one.' I can't wait for the DVD and endless going back and back and back. I think I'd better take a full day to watch it.