Lianna

62 posts in this topic

What were your favorite moments from Kingdom of Heaven?

For me, there are two:

I love the part where Balian knights the common people and then tells that doubtful guy that yes, making a man a knight makes him a better fighter. I thought it was great in the trailers, and it's even better in the movie. Orlando really commands the screen, and I love to see people get told off like that. :wink:

But I also love the scene where Balian and a bunch of other dirty people are working on the farm in Ibelin, digging the well and setting up the irrigation system. It's the only time when Balian seems to be even halfway happy, and I so wanted him to be happy at least a little. :cry: I am such a sentimental slob. :paperbag:

Yes to the two you mentioned.

Also, I loved the moment when Balian buries his wife's cross under the stones. His line, "how can you be in hell when you are in my heart?" was touching and beautifully delivered.

Guest Bog Iris

My favorite moment was when Balian in full armor--helmet and all-- is addressing the crowd before the battle for Jerusalem begins. He says something like "We're supposed to fear the fact that we're outnumbered," and then he yells "I SAY LET THEM COME!" I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd followed that up with "bring it on!" It's the most macho moment in a really macho picture and it flipped me out. Orlando is always being sensitive and empathetic in his roles but this moment was positively SOAKED in testosterone. Oh, my aching hormones! :crusader:

Don't read this if you're avoiding spoilers (although why you'd be in the thread, I have no idea!).

I mentioned in my review that I loved the whole sequence where Balian was mucking in in Ibelin, but my favourite bit of that was when the kids tug on his sleeve ("Sidi, Sidi!") and bring him over to where the men have found the water and he gives this subtle smile, and you realise that it's the first time in the movie that he's shown any positive emotion. That little tentative smile says so much - beautifully acted (bravo, Orlando :wub: ). I plotzed.

I also liked the bit when Guy's men came to kill Balian, which started with him sitting under the tree. That was great, really powerful and beautifully shot.

And the whole sequence where Balian surrenders Jerusalem. Fantastic acting from both Orlando and Ghassan Massoud there. Tingles.

LG

Favourite moments?

Click For Spoiler

Right at the start, when he's working in the forge! Oh, he's just so.so.so gah! You could tell he'd learnt how to do it properly, and the concentration on the work - like it was all he was living for, was just heart-breaking.

Attacking the priest *shivers* so violent, and angry and fierce!

Any moment when he was with a horse - you can really tell that Orlando loves horses.

Working on the land at Ibelin - you could really tell it made Balian happy.

Meditating at Golgoroth, and saying good-bye to his wife's crucifix.

Burning the dead people in the mass grave - "God will understand, if he doesn't, then he's not God" - said so beautifully, along with, "you have taught me much about religion".

The negotiation with Saladin, especially when he says how the christians slaughtered the muslims when they took Jerusalem.

I could go on, but basically it's just the whole film.

Kathryn.

little_green 5-8-05

I also liked the bit when Guy's men came to kill Balian, which started with him sitting under the tree. That was great, really powerful and beautifully shot.

I too loved this scene and got overly excited during the fight. I clapped my hands together so hard when he got hit in the head that it made a loud noise in an already quiet theater. I was so ready to jump up there and kick Guy's henchmens :censor:, but really wanted to duck under my seat too. I hate drawing attention to myself like that but couldn't help it. You should see me during a scary movie. Luckily, I wasn't alone watching the movie thanks to my Carolina ka-bloomies. We just laughed a little at my show of excitment and continued plotzing. So much more Orlando screen time that all the scenes were great. I love his eyes. So very expressive! :faint:

:2thumbs: Two thumbs up for the whole movie and to more leading roles for Orlando.

Rosiree

Guest Goldfish

I´m so on board with all these moments! We all seem to have the same favorites, more or less! :yahoo:

I also loved the one, where Balin is eating dinner, Guy comes and slams his whip in his face. He way Balin just keeps eating, so cool. Then when Guy says, "keep it" and Balin throws it back and says" how will you ride your horse without whipping it" (or something like that, don´t remember the correct words). He was really cool and calm in that scene. Nice! :throb::wub:

Guest Blurryangel

Ohh yes it is difficult to choose just one favourite moment because the whole film is reeeeeaaaly good. But my personal favourite is when Balian is talking about who really has claim for jerusalem, that the mosqes are built on another religions temple or something like that and I thought that it was just so beautifully said.

I had tears in my eyes through that whole scene, or in the end of the movie. :cry:

Guest Dugugirl

I really adored all the scenes with King Baldwin. I found those scenes to be very touching. I think the only time in the movie I got teary was when he died and when Sybilla removed his mask. His character was so peaceful and gentle but at the same time strong and powerful. I also was in love with the scenes where Balian is in Ibelin. It's really one of the only times you get to see him at peace with himself and without to much worry. He seemed to be just so lost in the world around him, and genuinely happy. Like Sybilla said, it was like he was building his own mini Jerusalem. I could watch those scenes over and over.

I loved his speech to the city- very good! And the scene where they dig the well, Cl@re said Orlando's acting was very natural in that scene and I agree - I really enjoyed it. I loved all the scenes with Baldwin because I thought he was a fantastic character.

And oh, those beautiful horses :wub:

Guest Cl@re
And the scene where they dig the well, Cl@re said Orlando's acting was very natural in that scene and I agree - I really enjoyed it. I loved all the scenes with Baldwin because I thought he was a fantastic character.

Kay, like you said, we already spoke about this but for the rest, yes that is my overall favourite part of the movie. So natural, like he wasn't even acting at all. Just such a beautiful scene, and made me smile so much.

If I had to choose another, being from a not so religious background myself, I found the part where Balian was told God was in his head & his heart an intresting angle. It was something that really got me thinking.

Guest vindictive vixen

Like everyone else said, this whole movie is so good, they are all my favorite scenes! I have been going on and on about this movie so much, I know that my family is tired of hearing about it!

If I had to pick a couple of scenes that stood out, it would have to be:

1. All the scenes that involved Balian and the King.

2. The scene where Balian is offered the choice to marry Sibylla. When he learned what would happen to Guy and his knights and turned down the offer, I was like wow, that is an honorable man. He wouldn't even allow harm to come to a man that had shown him nothing but contempt.

3. The scene when Sibylla is "visiting" him and she asks if he knows why she's there and he says something along the lines of "I know that Ibelin is not on the road to Caanan." Something about that little bit of dialogue is so cute to me.

4. When at the end the King is looking for Balian of Ibelin, defender of Jerusalem and Balian says "I am a blacksmith." I love it!

I agree that all the above are excellent moments, I think the encounter at Messina with Guy was really well played. The battle at Kerak was my favourate battle scene - with the two sides charging at each other on horses. Wow! Though I did love that moment when the two sides met at the breach in the wall and from the top it just looked like a massive scrum.

On the whole so much loveliness. How do you decide?I really love the scene with Balian working in the Blacksmith's - when he was hammering away at that bit of metal and he's all hot and sweaty. :drool:

I also liked the bit in the desert - I love the fight over the horse but I also just like the moment when he leans over the water to drink - all that luscious hair!

The part where Sibylla comes to vist him is full of lovely scenes, the meal, Balian with his top off, him sitting in his study, that little mouse getting into his shoe, etc.

Apart from that it's just all the scenes with Orlando on a horse, in one of those fantastic Morrocan interiors, fighting or rousing the troops. Sorry, I seemed to have failed to locate a favourate moment - I'll have to watch it again and concentrate more this time.

tatoola

:balian:

The knighting scene I found very moving. The only time tears were brought to my eyes.

The scene on Golgotha when everything gets quiet.

The sigh and the look on his face when Saladin tells him Jerusalem means nothing to him.

When he gives the horse to.Saladin's right hand man. I've forgotten the character name.

When Godfrey says he once fought for 2 days with an arrow through his testicle. Ouch!

Actually I wouldn't have gone to see the movie except that our man was in it. It hate gore and closed my eyes during most of it. I have all his movies but this one I'll have to think about before I buy it. And I know my 12 year old won't see it.

However, my two favorite parts were when he was praying and when he touched the flowers at the end.

Suejo

Guest Lyssabug

I was really impressed with the movie, since Sir Ridley Scott directed I didn't expect anything less. In some of those snow shots I could've sworn I actually shivered. I have to say my favourite parts were:

Click For Spoiler
When Balian survived the ship wreck and saved the horse--then had to fight for it. When he helped dig the well, when the soldiers were sent to kill him, he fought them with a rock, setting up for battle in Jerusalem. Of course, when King Richard the 2nd showed up, "I am a blacksmith"! And, when he passed his wife's grave at the end and before when he burried the necklace, I thought it was sad!

Orlando's acting was heart-melting, truly. I really felt for him and Sibylla and the horses were excellently trained. I'll just stop ranting now.

~Lyss~ :crusader:

I love the part when Guy's soldiers come to kill Balian. When he is hitting them on the head with the rock. That has to be my all time favorite fight scene.

The bit with the flowers at the end. When he buries his wife's cross. "How can you be in hell when your in my heart". I started crying so hard after that line. I'm very emotional, if you can't tell. :lol: Any scene with him and Jeremy Irons. I love him too. :wub: Oh and last but not least, the scene with the priest in the blacksmiths shop. His acting was just so emotional and real. I cried through that whole scene as well.

I just love this movie. I guess you could say the whole movie was my favorite scene. :lol:

Can't wait to see it again.

I love the bit at the end with him saying "I am the blacksmith." It's the subtle humor that I love.

When he's negotiating with Saladin. Such a powerful moment that Balian's only thought is just for the people.

"You're walking.a queen never walks." That line (if I got it correct) was so sweetly delivered, and Sibylla's unspoken reply was a perfect affirmation of her feelings for Balian.

There were many more moments I loved; those stand out in my mind right now.

What stands out most of all for me, is the part at Ibelin, when Balian and his people are digging for the well, and then when the children run to him when the water actually starts to come, and call 'Sidi, Sidi'. Made me think of Orlando's dog :) , and I just loved the fact that he seemed to be happy there, settling in a new life and a new country.

I also loved the scene at Golgotha, his silent desperation to get some kind of reply from God for the anguish he was going through. It made my heart ache for him, seeing the night fall all around him and still knowing nothing. And that question, 'How can you be in hell when you're in my heart ?' got me all choked up. Had to blink my eyes a few times before the images on the screen were completely clear again.

And when he joins Godfrey and his Crusaders, the slight hitch in his voice when he asks 'Is it true I can erase my sins in Jerusalem ?'

Not really a scene in particular, but every single time focus was on Balian's eyes. Orlando doesn't need to say a word, his eyes convey so much emotions. Like when he's in the smithy and Godfrey is talking to him. I think I completely forgot to breathe there, and that was more to do with the expressions in his eyes than with the dialogue (which was of course excellent too !)

In fact, I just loved the entire movie, and I can't wait to see it again - hopefully next Saturday !

Oh, and one last bit. when Sybilla takes Balian's hand during the exodus from Jerusalem, and you see the smile on his face. The knowledge he/we has/have that finally things are right again in his world, that he's received another chance for happiness.

Guest EmilyStrange

Orlando moment:

When Balian enters to meet the King. Baldwin gives him advice and ends up saying something like "and maybe then you will come to protect me". The way he responded to that, very tense at the beginning, not knowing how to act before the King, all without words except for "I will", and finally just a shy but genuine smile, was, in my opinion, his best scene in the whole movie :)

Movie moment:

When Baldwin arrives to Kerak and he and Saladdin meet in the middle of the field, with each one of their armies behind them. The image of the fate of thousands of people in the hands of two powerful men is timeless.

The moment also works to show the respect they had for each other. Plus, in my opinion, Ed Norton and Ghassad Massoud were the best performances in the movie, to have such a grand scale scene with both of them was amazing.

What stands out most of all for me, is the part at Ibelin, when Balian and his people are digging for the well, and then when the children run to him when the water actually starts to come, and call 'Sidi, Sidi'.  Made me think of Orlando's dog  :)

Me too. It surprised me a little bit, and I think I punched the poor soul next to me in the arm. Oops.

I loved all the moments with Godfrey. *slap* "And that is so you remember it."

OK, I might get :tomato: ed for this, but there ere some bits in the movie that weren't supposed to be funny, but made me laugh (rather like the "They're taking the hobbits to Isengard!" line for MM :lol: ). These are they:

Balian getting hit on the head during the first fight in the forest (everything was moving so quickly, but I think the Hospitaler did it). It just went 'doink' and I laughed. Sorry.

The sudden and slightly startling strains of music just as Balian and Sybilla started to kiss. They were a bit 'Let's get it on'-ish, and I laughed (but only very slightly). Sorry.

The bit where Balian returned the whip to Guy - he threw it and it magically went straight back into Guy's hand (I actually had the fleeting thought "Wow, Guy is magnetic. Cool."). I wondered how many takes it had taken, and I laughed. Sorry.

This doesn't detract from the movie at all - I seriously loved it. Did anyone else notice these things, or am I warped :blink: ?

LG :paperbag:

Balian getting hit on the head during the first fight in the forest (everything was moving so quickly, but I think the Hospitaler did it). It just went 'doink' and I laughed. Sorry.

I also laughed at that!

I agree with all the moments everyone has named, but I'd like to add one that's not Orlando-related: when Sybilla cuts off her hair in the broken or de-formed mirror, right near the end of that shot, when you can only see the mirror, her face transforms into Baldwins face. I thought that was a very powerful moment as well.

And yeah, Balian with horses, wow.

I loved the look on the face of that boy when he had just been knighted by Orlando. And that nice peek of upper arms we got, mmm. :w00t:

Love,

Vendelle

There are many moments for me. But the first scenes come to my mind are,

Click For Spoiler

Click For Spoiler

Click For Spoiler

Click For Spoiler

OK, I'll take the whole movie, again please ! :lol:

PS: I, too, gave a chuckled like little laugh, when Balian got he hit on the head.

Edited by Ejderha

Guest earthcrosser

I haven't read all the above posts yet-I promise I will!!

I treated myself to this movie for Mother's Day! I just wanted to say that I adored it. I thought he was sooooooooooo fabulous. Really-not that I expected anything less, but I thought he played the part perfectly. My mind kept going back to that review I read (and posted) from the Boston Globe that said he couldn't "cut it" as the leading man. I tried to look at the movie as objectively as I could, and man, I thought he was incredible!! Not just because he was gorgeous ( :throb: ), but because he was believable, and the on-screen chemistry with him and all the characters was just amazing.

I have to mull it over more before I can come up with all my favorite moments. The part on Golgatha was beautiful, as were the scenes with Baldwin (it takes a great actor to pull that part off!), and of course Sibylla. She, by the way, was GORGEOUS!! Even more so in the movie than in real life, I think.

I will comment that I was happy to see that there weren't lots of those "furrowed brow" moments he's become famouse for. He was straightforward, believable, vulnerable, powerful, damaged.all at once. Another of my favorite scenes was his opening, when Godfried comes for him. His face!-without saying a word he was so powerful!

I can't wait to see it again!!!