MovieImp

306 posts in this topic

I've seen a couple of the breakdowns of the marketing and frankly what they are saying is yes there was quantity but it was done too late and the focus was inaccurate. It needed a strong this is what this movie is about, more focus on Balian and his struggle and arc. Come to think of it, the movie needed that as well. Anyway, the focus was blury as to what exactly this movie was about and it didn't start to focus and push until the last week before it opened and it was already too late. Anyway that is what the backroom analysts are saying.

Fourth?! :cry: Yeah, let's prove them wrong. I am seeing it again today. And Julia, any news on how it is doing overseas?

No, I don't have that info yet as international doesn't report box office totals like they do in the USA. That info will come Sunday afternoon/Monday.

And I swear if a movie like Mindhunters directed by Reny Harlan and that has been sitting on a shelf for two years and is being dumped into oblivion beats Kingdom of Heaven. well :censor: 'em, we just have better taste in movies than anyone else.

If I wasn't working all darn week I would have gone and seen it every day that I possably could. I know I will be out seeing it the next day I have off. I am scared too that after the new Star Wars movies comes out that it is going to kill KOH at the box office.

IMHO, that would be a major mistake on your part.

It is a film that was MEANT for the big screen.  We may have issues with the editing, yes, but the scope of many of the scenes (just the arrival in Jerusalem!) can't be fully appreciated on DVD - even on a BIG HDTV screen.

And Orlando is in nearly every scene, so I can't see one fast-forwarding through much of it.  I have no problem with the kind of violence portrayed, though I know a lot of people do; beating someone to a pulp and showing it in great, gory detail  (like in, say, Goodfellas), I do cover my eyes.

Besides - it will make your enjoyment of the DVD that much more. :wink:

I'd like to echo Jan's comment here. Some movies are just meant to be seen on the big screen. Much as I love the LOTR DVD's, seeing those EE's on the big screen really brought home to me how much you lose when you see the movie at home on the TV (and yes, I've seen them on a 64 inch, flat screen). Add to that the whole experience of the surround sound and the general atmosphere of the cinema and it would be a real shame to miss out on it. (And, DUH, it's a movie about the CRUSADES for heaven's sake. One of the bloodiest periods in the history of Christiandom. It SHOULD be violent and bloody if it's going to be true to the historical context of the movie.)

Just my 2 cents worth,

ZB :innocent:

ETA Forgot to say that Chickadee and I saw the movie again in KC on Wednesday and the screen was even BIGGER than the one we saw it on in Chicago. God Bless AMC for having the different "tiers" in regards to theater size. Seeing all of those incredible close-ups on that HUMUNGOUS screen was postively orgasmic! (Oops, can I say that here?) :paperbag:

Edited by zoe_bear

I personally am waiting for this one to come out on DVD before I see it as I don't want to :sick: at the movie theatre and perhaps leave a bad taste of the movie on someone elses tongue. The fast-foward button is my friend.

If by :sick: you mean that you have a low tolerance for explicit violence, I can see your viewpoint (although KoH didn't seem too bad to me, but perhaps that's because I was anesthetized by having seen Sin City a few days earlier).

But if you're avoiding seeing KoH in the cinema because you fear you may be disappointed by it and would prefer to see the better-edited DVD version, please consider changing your mind. KoH is very visual; it benefits from being seen on the biggest screen you can find. I will always regret that I never saw Fellowship of the Ring on the big screen (I was very busy at the time and figured "oh, well, I can always rent the movie later"). I missed a great deal of FOTR's visual glory. I would not want you to have similar regrets about KoH.

Guest Badger

My hubby and I are finally getting to see the movie this weekend. I also convinced a couple of people at work to see it too. Hopefully it will have a decent second week!!

I am scared too that after the new Star Wars movies comes out that it is going to kill KOH at the box office.

Have no fear. Star Wars will kill KOH at the box office when it opens. Star Wars will kill anything else at the box office when it opens. It's.well.it's Star Wars. sw001.gif

I am scared too that after the new Star Wars movies comes out that it is going to kill KOH at the box office.

Have no fear. Star Wars will kill KOH at the box office when it opens. Star Wars will kill anything else at the box office when it opens. It's..well.it's Star Wars. sw001.gif

Yeah it's going to steamroll everything. Some boring movie theater facts:

1. We dropped 5 movies this week to start to free up screens. Probably will drop two more next week.

2. We didn't book a movie in this week to keep screens freed up and we normally book all wide releases. Of course no one is going to miss Mindhunters but still that is rather unprecedented.

3. We are getting 5 (FIVE) prints. That is unprecedented for an 18-plex in our catagory. Max we have ever gotten is three. We also have the capability of putting it up in 10 houses via a synch process with the film. 10 of 18 screens dedicated to Star Wars.

4. We have presold over 1,200 tickets. Max before was around 50 or so for Harry Potter.

5. We have special instructions on which movies can be cancelled and short booked (shown on a shorter schedule) in order to make way for midnights of Star Wars.

6. We have been drawing up contingency plans for where to put hold out lines for the sold outs and we think we will need them although we have a movie starting every 45 minutes.

7. Estimated box office take for midnights Wednesday and Thursday alone (both school in session and people still at work) is $21M.

8. Estimated box office for the full five days is $125M.

9. The only movie not getting totally pushed into a small theater is Kingdom of Heaven and that is because it is a FOX movie. But it still got shoved into a medium sized one and will be down into a small one by the week after. We will probably lose one of our two prints by then as well.

10. You should see the stock/inventory I had to count last night in the thousands and we are sweating we don't have enough of some things to last us a week.

Bottom Line. Stars Wars will jump start the box office but it's going to take everything else out in its path for a minimum of two weeks. By then KOH will be on life support and on it's way out the door before the summer explosion of movies start in. I give it max six week run in first run theaters at this point. Maybe only five. Depends on how Fox worked the booking contract in conjuntion with Star Wars.

Hey MI!

I was checking out showtimes for movies starting on Wednesday at the two AMC theaters that I frequent, and the only times I could find listed were for Star Wars. There were 15 (yes, I said 15) midnight showings, all sold out (this was at one of the theaters. Can't remember the number at the other one). They still have tickets available for the 3 am showings though! Can't even check the available times for KOH on Thursday and Friday as the only thing that pops up on MovieWatchers.com is, you guessed it, Star Wars.

Good God! George Lucas conquers the world, huh? :sick:

ZB :innocent:

You got it ZB. I'm just counting my freaking lucky stars we aren't one of the theaters having to run 24 hours for the first 5 days. I really then would cut my wrists.

Our biggest attendance ever was around 6,000+ people in one day at Christmas. We are estimating 8,000+ attendance days. It scares the ever living crap out of me.

I personally am waiting for this one to come out on DVD before I see it as I don't want to  :sick: at the movie theatre and perhaps leave a bad taste of the movie on someone elses tongue.  The fast-foward button is my friend.

If by :sick: you mean that you have a low tolerance for explicit violence, I can see your viewpoint (although KoH didn't seem too bad to me, but perhaps that's because I was anesthetized by having seen Sin City a few days earlier).

I, on the other hand, have not been anesthetized by anything but was capable of sitting through the entire movie with no thought of wanting to flee.

I have not been able to sit through BHD, Platoon made me run from the room, I wouldn't even attempt Saving Private Ryan or Passion of Christ --- I truly abhor violence and it has to be a seriously relevant film with violence for me to make an attempt, even on the small screen. I have no idea, really, as to what relevance KOH had for me when I purchased my ticket, but I left the movie thinking of the characters, the story, what went wrong, what went right and no thinking of "Man, that was a violent movie." Some scenes weren't pleasant, but there wasn't any "dwelling" on the graphic.

So I agree with Jan and Lianna. Do yourself the favor and see it on the big screen. The cinematography is good and won't translate as well to the smaller screen. It is a work of art, it's best to see this peice on the medium for which is was created.

Maybe it's just me being perverse (perverse, not pervert.oh, shut up :P), but all of that just makes me want to wait 2 weeks before going to see SW so my dollars won't be counted in that "phenomenal" first two week take.

Maybe it's just me being perverse (perverse, not pervert.oh, shut up :P), but all of that just makes me want to wait 2 weeks before going to see SW so my dollars won't be counted in that "phenomenal" first two week take.

If you haven't already pre-purchased your tickets, you may have to wait 2 weeks anyway. I just checked the nearest megaplex here. It's showing 9 times on opening day.and all "purchase on-line" tickets for all 9 shows are already sold out.

per·verse ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pr-vûrs, pûrvûrs)

adj.

Directed away from what is right or good; perverted.

:wink:

per·verse ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pr-vûrs, pûrvûrs)

adj.

Directed away from what is right or good; perverted.

:wink:

Bugger. I've been found out.

Guest Surpentinefire05

Ok, why does Star Wars get a 5 day weekend while others get 3 day weekends? :angry: That doesn't seem fair to me?

They don't have the showtimes listed here in my area but I know that they are going to show it every half hour like it did for KOH. Fox sure made a cheap move on promoting a movie that doesn't need it. KOH could have done better if it had as much promo as it did over in Japan.

EDITED to remove excessive quoting. Please, use it judiciously. Thanks.

:jacked:

:rolleyes:

See, to be a definitive threadjack, it needs to be something posted that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the subject at hand.

For example: Posting about plum preserves while talking about Lord of the Rings. One's plans for the weekend in the midst of a Member's Art thread. Your hair color in an Elizabethtown thread.

Kira was pointing out how perverse it would be to wait two weeks to purchase Star Wars tickets two weeks late so as to de-flate its opening weekend take, in a thread about KOH's take. Still within the parameters of the original intent of the thread.

Besides. Perversity is germaine to pretty much any thread on ka-Bloom. :lol:

Hey, did I tell y'all that Kira drank FOUR glasses of champagne on Monday night at Janet's?!? She's not only perverse, she's a lush. :cocktail:

Speaking of perverse...I felt a need to go back through Defamer's archives to see what it had to say about KOH in general, and box office proceeds specifically. I'm sorry, but I laughed at most of it. :lol: Be warned: There are enough things in here to offend many. Just not me.

May 6

The Projectionist: The Prettiest Crusader

Your weekend moviegoing options are limited by the following box office projections. If this feels restricting, please realize that life is wholly predetermined anyway.

1. Kingdom of Heaven—$31 million

One one level, making Orlando Bloom the centerpiece of a Crusades epic makes perfect sense: Wouldn’t God want the instrument of his wrath against the heathens to be as pretty as humanly possible? We think he would. On another, more practical, level, the last time Ridley Scott went in the historical epic direction, his hero was the far burlier Russell Crowe, whose Maximus would likely bend a nancy-boy like Bloom over the side of chariot just to let him know who’s boss. The aforementioned nanciness of Bloom will probably keep this from being a Gladiator-sized hit.

May 9

Monday Morning Box Office: The World Loves Orlando, America Not So Much

Please enjoy the numbers that make your Monday morning seem a like it’s something a little less daunting than the first leg of a five-day barefoot run through a cactus patch.

1. Kingdom of Heaven—$20 million

That $20 million might have the faint whiff of a bomb (though it’s no XXX: State of the Union), but the international audience seemed a lot more accepting of Orlando “Don’t call me an elf” Bloom than we were, as it did $56 million overseas. Eh, who cares about domestic box office anymore when studios can foist our nancy-boy epics on the rest of the world?

May 10

‘Kingdom Of Heaven’ Not Jesus-y Enough?

Kingdom of Heaven’s stumble out of its opening-weekend gate didn’t do anything to help shake the box office out of its slump. Why did it fail? Maybe it wasn’t the right kind of Jesus-y:

In the case of “Kingdom of Heaven,” Fox labored to make a film about religious war that would offend neither Christians nor Muslims and trimmed some of Mr. Scott’s more violent scenes, said a person who worked on the film and spoke on condition of anonymity to protect relations at the studio. But because the subject matter was religious war and not, as with “The Passion,” resurrection, the studio could not count on a big Christian turnout, the person said.

For those studio execs looking to draw conclusions that they can easily wrap their minds around:

· A religious war flick that endeavors not to offend various segments of the God-fearing population, [spoiler ALERT] skinny hero surrenders: Bomb.

·Two controversial hours graphically depicting the Messiah having his ass kicked, skinny hero triumphs: $370 million domestic run.

At the very least, you have to believe KOH would’ve done more than $20 million if audiences got to see thugs brutally beating Orlando Bloom with a variety of spike-studded implements.

May 13

The Projectionist

3. Kingdom of Heaven—$12 million

No matter what happens this weekend, Orlando “The Prettiest Crusader” Bloom can sleep soundly at night, secure in the knowledge that not even a box office disappointment can take away his perfect bone structure and boyish good looks.

Ok, why does Star Wars get a 5 day weekend while others get 3 day weekends?  :angry:  That doesn't seem fair to me?

Don't protest too loudly. The LOTR movies got Wednesday openings too.

As for Jan's stuff from Defamer, has no one noticed that the dude who played Saladin is WAY skinnier than Orlando? I mean, he's even thinner than Orlando-as-Legolas, not just the beefed up KoH version.

As for Jan's stuff from Defamer, has no one noticed that the dude who played Saladin is WAY skinnier than Orlando? I mean, he's even thinner than Orlando-as-Legolas, not just the beefed up KoH version.

THANK YOU!!! I thought I was the only one in the world who noticed and said something!

I really don't know where in the world the "he's too skinny" flack has any basis. I watched, for 135 minutes, very critically, at Bloom's physique (anybody who tries to tell me that was a muscle suit will be :zap:). I was impressed. I've been around body-building and power-lifting for several decades, and I was still impressed.

But I agree, Bloom is "still the prettiest!" Mr. -- or is it Ms. -- Defamer has been around the Web, I see.

I watched, for 135 minutes, very critically, at Bloom's physique

The things we do in the name of research. :wink:

I really don't know where in the world the "he's too skinny" flack has any basis. 

It comes from men. Men who want to see Russell Crowe leading armies and will view Orlando as slight no matter how physically in shape he is. Sadly, it sometimes comes back to pure brawn and the man a guy could see winning in a bar fight after work. This has been the rationale I have heard from men anyway.

I will do my best to drag invite out as many people as I can this weekend, MI.

-- Suzanne

I've seen a couple of the breakdowns of the marketing and frankly what they are saying is yes there was quantity but it was done too late and the focus was inaccurate. It needed a strong this is what this movie is about, more focus on Balian and his struggle and arc. Come to think of it, the movie needed that as well. Anyway, the focus was blury as to what exactly this movie was about and it didn't start to focus and push until the last week before it opened and it was already too late. Anyway that is what the backroom analysts are saying.

This is what the problem is/was. How can people get excited about seeing a new movie when it's not registering on their radars? I think what's most unfortunate is the "blame" that could very well be placed on Orlando, when really that's the farthest thing from the truth.

(I just hope I like this Star Wars more than the previous two :paperbag: .)

I went to see this again tonight, and was happy to see the theatre being almost full. I am not trying to get my hopes up too much, but like I said in another thread, I am hoping against all hopes that this will have staying power. But, with SW : ROTS opening next week. :cry: It will be interesting to see how KOH does this week.

KOH premiered last weekend in Spain in the #1 position. I'm hoping against hope that it will hold its position at least this week.

Perhaps the fact that part of the film has been made in Spain has had its influence in the Spanish box office, people want to see if they can recognize the locations in the final product. I didn't see much marketing in the media, this also because we watch satTV, and seldom follow anything on the national TV, but I was expecting more coverage.

But I'm really curious about Fox's strategy behind marketing this film. Why only make noise a month before the opening and why not market KOH more because SWIII sells on its own anyway? This way they could have had TWO huge films under their belt, instead of just the one. Fox ain't getting my money for SWIII, I got bored during the trailer. :tomato:

And don't anyone dare put the blame for KOH not doing well on Orlando. His performance was impeccable. Look somewhere else for scapegoats. :rant:

I also resent the fact how much influence the first comments and reviews, and the first weekend box-office results, have over the moviegoing public. Films are too hastily condemned to the oblivion without being given a chance to show their real worth. Or is it that the general public is so ignorant that people are unduly influenced by these comments and don't have the guts to judge things on their own?

*steps off the soap box