MovieImp

306 posts in this topic

Everyone get your butts back to the theater this coming weekend.

MI, I'm dragging the hubby and kid to the theater tonight to see it. Maybe this time I'll actually see the entire movie, not just Balian and more Balian and then Balian again. :lol: And then, oh my, turbanned Balian! :faint:

I don't think I ever properly thanked you, by the way, for our private viewing, MI. YSFR!

Guest MahoganyRose
I think it didn't help that the weather was so nice here in our part of the South, when it's been a rather chilly Spring. Last weekend was nothing but gray and cloudly and ugly around here, and nobody was able to get outside. This weekend however it was positively beautiful, and you could barely find a parking space at any garden store or nursery. It was a weekend meant to be spent outdoors, and from what I could tell from all my friends, they all did.

There was also a college graduation in our area this weekend.

Same here Ginger. I'm from the South too, and the weather on opening Friday wasn't that pleasant. There was also a graduation near my area too. I instead went Saturday, when the weather was better. In the thearte, I thought that it was a nice sized crowd.

Personally I'm just happy that the movie is number one, and that both Orlando and the movie recieved positive reviews.

I saw it on Friday and then again on Saturday. I would have gone Sunday but being Mother's day I spent it with family. I really LOVE this film. In the second viewing I picked up more from the story and visuals than I did in just the first because it was overwhelming. Its visually stunning and deserves a second. even third viewing. if not more. Especially if you have access to see it at a "Ultra Screen" - that was awesome! :wink: And something to think on - I have a friend who is in the business of reviewing films and was dissapointed when she first saw it but then went back to see it again and fell in love with it. Like me she's dying for the extended DVD already but we will together take what we can get now.

Mostly older people and couples at the theaters I was at. I'm guessing several were parents trying to decide whether or not their kids can watch it. As for me I'm on vacation starting tomorrow through next Monday with little planned so I'm sure I'll be seeing it again . and again. :wub: It was also very cold here on Friday/Saturday then gorgeous on Sunday so I'm sure that kept people out of the theaters this weekend.

That's what I'm afraid of too. If we weren't "staring down the barrel" of the "Star Wars" gun right now (only 10 days away), the situation might appear a little more salvageable. I can't help but feel somewhat down right now, but mainly for Orlando. I'm sure this won't be a devastating blow for Ridley - he's an "old hand" at this sort of thing and he's used to it. But it must be terribly disappointing for Orlando in this, his first bonafide starring role. I just hope he can maintain that fine sense of equilibrium he's known for concerning the whole experience. If he can view it as just another step in the "learning process," he should be o.k. AND FOR THE RECORD - in my opinion he did a fine job as "Balian." It was a nuanced and mature performance - DEFINITELY his best so far! Any criticism I have of the film itself would be similar to many other complaints; i.e., over-zealous editing which caused "uneven" pacing and less-than-seamless transitioning from one "sequence of events" to another and causing what seemed like "gaps" or "missing pieces" in the storyline. STILL - I really did enjoy this film much more than Troy, which I think it far exceeded.

Here's hoping (and praying) that "Elizabethtown" will be a REAL WINNER for Orlando!!

Here are the Variety.com write-ups from my subscription:

'Kingdom' is mighty o'seas

Fox's epic reaps $56 million abroad

By DAVE MCNARY

'Kingdom of Heaven' cumed $56 million in its global bow, opening day-and-date in every major o'seas market except Japan and China.

BOX OFFICE TOP 10

Weekend estimate: May. 6 - May 8, 2005* in millions

1 Kingdom Of Heaven

$20.0

2 House of Wax

$12.2

3 Crash

$9.1

3 The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

$9.1

5 The Interpreter

$7.5

6 XXX: State of the Union

$5.4

7 The Amityville Horror

$3.2

8 Sahara

$3.1

9 A Lot Like Love

$3.0

10 Fever Pitch

$2.0

Fox's "Kingdom of Heaven" conquered the world's offshore markets in an impressive launch: Its estimated $56 million at 6,500 playdates in 100 territories during the Friday-Sunday frame was nearly triple the domestic opening.

The results underline the ever-increasing importance of foreign markets, particularly for big-budget tentpoles, and the strategy of day-and-date openings worldwide. Japan and China were the only major markets where Ridley Scott's Crusades epic didn't launch.

The international opening for "Kingdom" mirrors a pair of May 2004 launches -- UIP's "Van Helsing," with $53 million at 5,245 playdates during the same frame last year, and Warner's "Troy," with $54.8 million at 6,722 sites a week later.

Paul Hanneman, Fox Intl.'s exec VP of sales and strategic planning, said the distrib had attempted to take advantage of the star power of Orlando Bloom, helmer Scott's reputation and a worldwide market that appeared primed for an epic with resonance in the current world.

"It fits the bill of balancing spectacle with story with a message of peace," he added. "And we think it was well-timed to kick off the summer season."

In key European markets, "Kingdom" benefited from cooler weather following the warmer temps during the previous frame, when "XXX: State of the Union" posted relatively moderate numbers in its launch. "Kingdom" delivered its top number in Germany with $7.1 million at 842 engagements, including previews, to finish 20% behind "Troy."

Spain saw solid bizbiz with $5.2 million at 435 playdates, $1.1 million behind "Troy" but about equal to Scott's "Gladiator."

U.K. biz for "Kingdom" generated a beefy $4.8 million at 443 engagements, double the takings for "Alexander" and "Braveheart." France checked in with an estimated $4.5 million, 13% short of "Troy," while South Korea grossed $4 million at 333 screens and Italy grossed $3.9 million. (Fox Intl. is not handling distribution of the epic in France and Italy.)

"Kingdom" saw three other territories above $2 million -- Mexico with $2.8 million at 540, Russia with $2.2 million at 363 and Australia with $2 million at 361. Belgium, Brazil, Greece, Holland, Switzerland and Taiwan all topped $1 million.

Rival distribs shied away from "Kingdom" and holdover biz appeared lukewarm for Sony's soph sesh of "XXX: State of the Union." The sequel declined 46% to $8.1 million at 4,615 playdates for an offshore cume of $30.2 million.

"XXX 2," which is in 64 markets, posted its best number in Blighty with $1.25 million at 482 engagements, declining 28%. German biz dropped 13% to $1 million at 595; France was off 33% to $900,000 at 435; South Korea slid 61% to $530,000 at 173; and Spain fell 56% to $475,000 at 243.

BVI continued to generate solid results from its contrasting strategy of opening in three markets for "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," taking in $5 million at 737 playdates in a soph sesh that raised the cume to $18.1 million.

U.K. "Guide" grosses were off 32% to $3.6 million at 464, matching results for "Ransom""Ransom" and "Pearl Harbor for a $12.8 million cume. Oz biz declined 42% to $1.1 million at 206; New Zealand took in $200,000 at 67.

UIP's "The Interpreter" remained a significant player with $5.4 million at 2,177 sites in 31 countries, off 23% from the previous frame for a foreign cume of $48.2 million. Best performances came in Germany with $1.7 million at 385, up 48% over last weekend's weather-depressed results, and in the U.K. with $1 million at 360, lifting the four-week Blighty total to $11.4 million, 10% ahead of "The Bourne Identity."

BVI's "The Pacifier" remained respectable with $3.7 million at 2,593 engagements in 33 territories, lifting the overseas total to $47.5 million. The family comedy performed best in Mexico with $1 million to push that market's total to $6.8 million.

Warner opened "House of Wax" in Taiwan with $879,000 at 74 sites for the market's best horror opening of 2005 and best launch for a Dark Castle film, with results 59% higher than "Ghost Ship." Singapore saw solid results for "Wax" with $400,000 from 28 prints.

Warner's "Constantine," near the end of its run, grossed $1.48 million at 322 screens in 34 territories for an international total of $148.6 million.

"Kingdom of Heaven" will likely dominate again next weekend with no major launches set. Exhibitors are expecting huge takings when Fox launches "Star Wars -- Episode III: Revenge of the Sith" worldwide on May 19.

Date in print: Mon., May 9, 2005, Los Angeles

B.O. far from 'Heaven'

$20 mil tops in tepid sesh

By GABRIEL SNYDER

'Kingdom of Heaven' grossed a modest $20 million at the weekend box office.

An already sluggish year at the box office keeps getting worse.

The $20 million opening for Ridley Scott's epic "Kingdom of Heaven," while within 20th Century Fox's dampened domestic expectations, led a frame in which theater traffic slowed to a crawl.

In recent years the first weekend of May has seen a big expansion in the marketplace. But if Nielsen EDI's estimate of $83 million holds when final figures are tallied, it would be the worst weekend of an already listless year. It is also 26% behind last year's summer kickoff frame, when "Van Helsing" opened to $51.7 million --perceived as a disappointment at the time.

Warner Bros.' slasher remake "House of Wax" opened to $12.2 million from 3,111 locations, a healthy number for the $35 million film but on the low end of industry expectations heading into the weekend.

Opening a bit stronger than expected was Lions Gate's "Crash," which collected $9.1 million from 1,864 venues. Paul Haggis debut helming effort tied for third place with last week's champ, Disney's "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," which dropped 57% in its second week.

Universal's "The Interpreter" finished out the top five with $7.5 million in its third week. Nicole Kidman-Sean Penn thriller was down 46%; cume is $54.1 million.

It beat out Revolution and Sony's "XXX: State of the Union," which grossed $5.4 million in its sophomore session, down 58%, bringing cume to $20.8 million.

Entry of "House of Wax" seems to have taken a big bite out of the horror bizbiz, as MGM's "The Amityville Horror" drooped 60% in its fourth week after two weeks of steady holdover play. Pic grossed $3.2 million over the frame; cume is $60.1 million.

Finishing in 11th place was Sony Pictures Classics' "Kung Fu Hustle" with $1.1 million from 904 screens. Stephen Chow martial arts actioner has cumed $14.7 million.

Overseas please

"Heaven," like other recent ancient epics "Alexander," "King Arthur" and "Troy," did much better overseas, with $56 million from around 100 territories that opened day and date. R-rated Orlando Bloom starrer carried a $130 million production pricetag, of which Fox is exposed to around $80 million. In the U.S. studio unspooled the pic at 3,216 locations.

Fox distrib prexy Bruce Snyder put a positive spin on the opening and highlighted the worldwide total opening of $76 million. "It's the high end of our expectations. It's a very satisfying start for the film."

According to studio exit polls, pic's opening audaud skewed older, with 66% over age 25. The aud was slightly more male at 52%.

Warners distrib topper Dan Fellman also sounded good notes on the debut for "Wax," produced by Joel Silver and Robert Zemeckis' Dark Castle Entertainment. "The (audience) reaction to 'Wax' exceeded previous Dark Castle films so we should do fine at the box office."

Demographics on the pic showed that it was strongest among young women, with 56% of the aud for the R-rated pic under 21 and 55% female.

Lions Gate exec VP Steven Rothenberg said the "Crash" debut emboldened the studio's plan of playing the pic as an alternative for adults through the early portion of the summer season.

"The exit polling shows we're going to have very good word of mouth. Our strategy is to have the film as good counterprogramming to the youth-oriented fare through the next three or four weeks," he said.

Another weak week

Box office has been limping for nearly three months now. This weekend marks the 11th straight frame in which 2005 numbers have failed to match the year-earlier figure. The last time box office failed to improve on the previous year's number for so long was in 2000.

This weekend was also the fifth in a row that total business has been below $100 million -- the longest such streak since 2001 during the traditionally slow months of September and October.

In fact, this past weekend is even 8% lower than last weekend's soft session, when "Hitchhiker's Guide" and "XXX" bowed.

Year to date, total box office is 7% behind 2004, with $2.582 billion so far. While two more big titles are on taptap this Friday -- U's Will Ferrell starrer "Kicking & Screaming" and New Line's Jennifer Lopez-Jane Fonda laffer "Monster-in-Law" -- many in the industry are putting their hopes on Fox's "Star Wars -- Episode III: Revenge of the Sith" to reignite biz with its May 19 debut.

Guest Surpentinefire05

That 20 million is bull. That was the same number they reported on Saturday and Sunday. I think it made a little over 30 million in the US and over the 56 million overseas.

I was nervous about the box office numbers, and bummer. 20 million. I was hoping it would be higher than that. :( But am glad it did very well overseas. What I am afraid is that those critical of Orlando will lay the blame of this meager box office number on Orlando. I thought he did brilliantly as Balian, but suffered from bad editing. I think Ridley made a mistake in how he decided to edit the film ( oops, I am in the wrong thread ). Hopefully, the film won't suffer too much of a drop this coming week. I am going to see it again this week, NOT because it isn't an Orlando film, but because I did love the movie and deserves my extra money. :) And no, like Ginger said, I don't think this has hurt Orlando's chance as a leading man.

Well, I've seen it twice so far, and I plan to put my a :censor: s in the seat as often as I can afford to. It gets even better on subsequent viewings, y'all.

TF

:paperbag:

I think that this box office news is good, I was getting worried, due to the way some people were talking, that it would be a complete flop. On the whole Fox have got to be happy and this is a real achievement for Orlando and Ridley Scott. Comparisons with other films are interesting but I don't think that they tell the whole story. Troy didn't just have Brad Pitt to sell it worldwide it had Orlando and Eric (and my Mum went because Sean Bean was in it) KOH really seemed to be sold on Orlando and Ridley. Troy, as with KOH, had a well respected director. The publicity campaign was a lot bigger for Troy: in Liverpool and other parts of Northern England that I've been to recently I haven't seen one poster for KOH, anywhere, Orlando and the other stars did a lot of work to promote the film.

Even with the marketing, the big stars and the prooven director Alexander still did worse - it had Jolie, Farrell, Kilmer plus quite a few Hollywood male leads - I remember the poster lining them all up. There's a view that there is epic fatigue that may be the case, but then the worldwide pull for KOH seems even more impressive.

Maybe Alexander suffered because the hero was bi-sexual, but then KOH hasn't exactly been out of the firing line, the press would have it that it has offended both Muslim and Christian factions. (Though having seen the film I cannot imagine why.)

Reviews were mixed for all the above films (to a greater or lesser degree), again credit to Orlando, Ridley and the marketing people that they overcame this. I don't normally look at reviews, having said that I did venture one or two for King Arthur and I do remember Clive Owen getting a bit of a hammering all round - next thing he's on the Oscar list of nominations for Closer, the critics think he's fab and he a hot contender for 007.

It's also definitely the case that the DVD promises to have a life all of its own. So so far so good.

Of couse, whatever happens the press can call it a blockbuster or a box office dissapointment depending what mood they are in. I remember Eric Bana talking about how the press had called the Hulk a failure despite the profit that it made overall.

tatoola

I wonder if the long version was offered in theaters now if it would do better than the version presently available. I know I would gladly sit through it several times.

Also, I got a shock at the refreshment counter this weekend. Popcorn and a soda was .$9.25. I actually thought I was paying for someone elses' order. I can't make it again this weekend, but I will be seeing it again soon.

Guest BohemianBeauty

Haven't seen this one posted here yet. Here is the wrap up from E! Online.

"Kingdom" Hardly Heavenly

by Bridget Byrne

May 9, 2005, 2:35 PM PT

Kingdom of Heaven reigned supreme--but not supreme enough to turn around the long-running box-office slump.

Ridley Scott's Crusades epic debuted with a lower than expected $19.6 million, while the weekend's other major newcomer, House of Wax, debuted in a distant second with $12.1 million.

Their combined tallies were way below the $51.7 million sucked up this time last year by the vampire hunter saga Van Helsing. The top 12 movies this weekend grossed just $78.5 million, a drop of 22 percent from this time last year and off 3 percent from last weekend. That makes the 11th weekend in a row overall grosses were on the skids--the longest slump since July-October 2000.

Paul Dergarabedian, president of the receipt-tracking firm Exhibitor Relations, says the disappointing showing for Kingdom of Heaven, shouldn't be blamed on distributor Fox because "the studio did a beautiful marketing job and the movie got pretty good reviews." He reasons the weak opening for the big-budgeted sword-and-sandals saga has more to do with the marketplace being depressed. "It's just laying there," Dergarabedian says of the box office, crossing his fingers that when Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith finally opens May 19, there will be a much needed upturn in ticket sales.

Kingdom of Heaven, which reportedly cost $150 million to produce, is fronted by Orlando Bloom, Jeremy Irons and Liam Neeson. The R-rated spectacular swept into 3,216 sites, where it averaged just $6,106, a dismal kickoff to what is now officially summer movie season. (In contrast Universal's PG-13 Van Helsing, starring Hugh Jackman, averaged $14,475 at 3,575 sites.)

Trying to be upbeat, Bruce Snyder, Fox's domestic distribution chief, noted that the two-thirds of the audience for Kingdom of Heaven was over 25, which suggests the film was attracting a more sophisticated audience and hence might have legs. Snyder suggested to Reuters that the flick's drawing power might have been affected by its R rating and lengthy running time, which would have made for fewer showings and thus fewer ticket sales. Kingdom of Heaven did have a stronger opening overseas, Snyder said, where it grossed about $56 million.

Waxed by reviewers, House of Wax, Warner Bros.' R-rated slasher update of the camp '50s horror tale, this time starring imperiled young hotties Elisha Cuthbert, Chad Michael Murphy and the ubiquitous Paris Hilton, averaged $3,882 at 3,111 sites.

Doing better on average in more limited release was Crash. The we-clearly-can't-all-get-along drama about intersecting lives and simmering racial tension in Los Angeles opened in fourth place with $9.1 million. Directed by Paul Haggis and featuring an ensemble of Sandra Bullock, Don Cheadle, Matt Dillon, Jennifer Esposito, Brendan Fraser, Thandie Newton and Ryan Phillippe, the R-rated Lions Gate release averaged $4,882 averaged at just 1,864 sites.

Meanwhile, news of the resolved rift between Tom Green and Martin Short didn't do much to help Short's latest, Jiminy Glick in La La Wood. The Hollywood satire opened in just 24 theaters, where it averaged an anemic $1,069 for a total of $25,660.

As for last week's top movie, the quirky space trip The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, it's almost time to panic. The film dropped 54 percent in its second weekend, earning $9.8 million in third place to bring its total to $35.8 million.

Here's a rundown of the top 10 films based on final studio figures compiled by Exhibitor Relations:

1. Kingdom of Heaven, $19.6 million

2. House of Wax, $12.1 million

3. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, $9.8 million

4. Crash, $9.1 million

5. The Interpreter, $7.8 million

6. XXX: State of the Union, $5.5 million

7. Sahara, $3.4 million

8. The Amityville Horror, $3.3 million

9. A Lot Like Love, $3.2 million

10. Fever Pitch, $2.2 million

E! Online

I myself saw it Friday night and plan on going to see it again as soon as I get some time away from work. Hopefully this weekend! :drool: I personally would have liked to see all those extra scenes [i noticed things from the trailer that weren't in the film! :blink:] but I hope the movie continues to do good in theaters, at least until SWIII comes along and sweeps the Box Offices.

Movie prices are high, gas prices are high, I wonder how many people aren't going to see anything because they can only budget one move per month, and they know they want to see Star Wars?

I think it should mean something that KOH did blow away the competition this weekend. Hopefully it will have staying power and outlast the wave of Star Wars premiers.

Dairwendan

I have been thinking about the box office numbers, and maybe we shouldn't be so disheartened about this 20 million dollars that KOH made at its opening. Had it opened BIG and then drop sharply the week after that, Orlando's critics would DEFINITELY have laid the blame on Orlando, saying he destroyed the movie. But that can't be said right now, because everyone who went to see KOH this past week went in not knowing what to expect from Orlando ( some even skeptical ), except for those who already had confidence in him. And from what I read, most of people were positive about Orlando. This makes me think it was the movie itself and how it was marketed that made the box office number below what was expected. And I am quoting LA Times. " Kingdom of Heaven marches on despite an overall dismal movie attendence ," and then it stated the movie industry was suffering from serious lack of people going to the movies. I think there lies the answer. I think it is too early to call KOH a "flop" or a failure. It just opened, and if those who saw it last week liked it, they are sure to spread the word. The true box office potential of this film is yet to be determined, IMO. I am just hoping Orlando doesn't take this week's box office numbers too hard. That said, I am going to see this again this week. And I saw Troy only once in theatres. That says it all. KOH is a far superior movie in every aspects.

:crusader:

I Believe!

Edited by Suzie

Guest jamie007

I can't really fathom why these movies do relatively 'badly' in the US. I read a few people who posted saying that the theatres were quite empty when they went to catch KoH.

But here in my country, where I went to catch KoH twice with different friends, they were screening the movie at least once every hour and every time it was fully booked and completely filled. Still can't fathom the big disparity between US and international markets.

Just hope critics won't view the movie as a flop based on US lukewarm reactions, as I'm pretty sure it'd make a nice huge profit overseas. (wasn't even open in Japan at the time of press reports, and these kinds of movies do really well there)

Movie prices are high, gas prices are high, I wonder how many people aren't going to see anything because they can only budget one move per month, and they know they want to see Star Wars?

I think it should mean something that KOH did blow away the competition this weekend.  Hopefully it will have staying power and outlast the wave of Star Wars premiers.

Dairwendan

I'm a major Star Wars fan with a tight budget, but I still went to see KOH (of course :wub: ). I was really glad to see it # 1 ! Hopefully it will still be # 1 this week. Not really sure what movies open this week. KOH very well may have some staying power. We'll have to wait and see. It really was exciting and filled with a lot of action, so hopefully some word of mouth will boost the box office from the non-Orlando-fanatic movie goers.

This is pretty ruthless but here it goes.

Critics already panned the movie in pretty hefty numbers and US reports are already labeling it a failure. Frankly, $19.6 smells like lilacs in the springtime no matter how you want to spin it. The only thing that will keep it from totally going down is a decent hold this weekend. Go one more time, not during the week, but on Friday/ Saturday/ Sunday. It needs to only have about a 30% drop off and then it will have a bit of staying power and some of the critics will shut up but only a couple. But at this point, there is no way the movie is going to make back it's budget in the US. Wrongly or however you want to put it, it will always be labeled a disappointment for that fact alone, even though it will make all it's money back via international ticket sales and DVD. Troy to this day is labeled as such and it opened at $46M and made a ton overseas.

Orlando got decent to great reviews for the most part, the DVD will be better, and Elizabethtown is another day. Go forth, enjoy while you can, and look forward to better box office days.

I can't really fathom why these movies do relatively 'badly' in the US. I read a few people who posted saying that the theatres were quite empty when they went to catch KoH.

But here in my country, where I went to catch KoH twice with different friends, they were screening the movie at least once every hour and every time it was fully booked and completely filled. Still can't fathom the big disparity between US and international markets.

Just hope critics won't view the movie as a flop based on US lukewarm reactions, as I'm pretty sure it'd make a nice huge profit overseas. (wasn't even open in Japan at the time of press reports, and these kinds of movies do really well there)

What's popular in movie theaters just goes in cycles. Right now in the States, historical epics are not popular, while horror films (including tongue-in-cheek parodies of horror films) and sci-fi films are. And indie films are attracting more and more of the older (25+) audience, particuarly in the larger cities where they are being shown in bigger, better-equiped theaters. KoH just had the bad luck to be released during the wrong moment in the cycle. I also read the US film-going audience has a larger proportion of younger people than European audiences do, so that makes an impact on attendance, too.

I'll be doing my part. I've already seen it twice and will be taking hubby to it this weekend.

$19.6 million. Not a great number for opening weekend. I was expecting $40 - $50 million at least. It's hard to say why people stayed away. Maybe they're waiting to hear from other people how it was, or as it's been mentioned before, some people just don't want to spend the money at the theater.

Regardless of what KOH does at the box office in the future, Orlando has nothing to be ashamed of. His performance was excellent. I know I enjoyed it. Twice.

Guest Bog Iris

Maybe it was the violence that kept people away? Those battle scenes are pretty scary, and some people are very sensitive to blood and gore, of which this movie has plenty. It all served a greater purpose, I know, to illustrate the futulity of war. But for many a war movie is a war movie no matter the century in which it's set.

Just a thought.

Well, those "domestic" figures are pretty bleak (apparently it even fell a little short of the "$20m" projection). Of course, it IS encouraging that it's doing so well overseas, and it STILL hasn't opened in Japan! But with the imminent release of "Star Wars," I'm concerned that KOH won't be able to make up its "missing profits" here before it (and every OTHER film currently playing) has to bow before the "much-hyped juggernaut" known as "Revenge of the Sith!"

I KNOW this shouldn't be so, but the failure of a film to do well "domestically" usually means that film will be labeled a "flop" at the box office (e.g., TROY), IN SPITE OF THE FACT it may do VERY WELL OUTSIDE THE U.S.! In my opinion, that's just WRONG.

This is pretty ruthless but here it goes.

Women should rule the world!! :lol: Logic may be "ruthless", but it's not cruel.

Anyhow --- I heard your point about movie attendance and recession and I thought about that before. But I'm beginning to believe we are living in different times. It may seem easy enough to compare right now, but in hindsight, even one year from today, we may understand "forces" a little differently. Folks at the outset of the "Great Depression" weren't aware they were on the ouset of the Great Depression.

But farbeit for me to be a prophet of economic doom!! Others are doing splendidly on that front.

Isn't Monster-In-Law debutting this coming weekend? That may also take a small bite of discretionary income.

I wish I could go and support KOH for another viewing. If it stays around and I can work in another weekday matinee --- I will!

But, again, hopefully word of mouth will have it's day. I've spoken to several who have seen the movie, not fans of either Scott or Bloom (or any other of the players) and were a bit put-off by the violence, but it moved something inside them. Something spurring them to dig a little deeper into the Crusades, the Arab culture . this is meaningful. Hopefully meaningful enough to prompt others they talk with to go and see this movie in the theater.

MCN labeled this as many silly reasons why the box office sucked. I'm inclined to agree, but it has some valid points. From the NY Times:

Hollywood Worries as Decline Continues

By SHARON WAXMAN

Published: May 10, 2005

LOS ANGELES, May 9 - Now Hollywood is starting to get worried.

The poor box-office performance last weekend of the first major film of the summer, "Kingdom of Heaven," released by 20th Century Fox, made for 11 weeks in a row of declining movie attendance and revenue compared with last year, adding up to the longest slump since 2000 and raising an uncomfortable question: Are people turning away from lackluster movies, or turning their backs on the whole business of going to theaters?

The historical epic about the Crusades, which stars Orlando Bloom and was directed by Ridley Scott, took in just $20 million at the domestic box office, a puny opening for a film that cost about $130 million to make and was supported by a major marketing push. The film was helped by a stronger performance abroad, where it took in $56 million in 93 territories.

To be sure, "Kingdom of Heaven" is not the first swords-and-sandals epic to miss the mark with American audiences; neither "Alexander" nor "King Arthur" nor "Troy" was embraced by audiences in this country last year. Analysts said that the "Crusader" movie's R rating contributed to its weak opening, along with reviews that declared Mr. Bloom's performance inadequate.

The weekend's top 12 films took in $77 million, the worst result for early May in at least five years, according to Exhibitor Relations, a company that tracks box-office results. Box-office revenue is down almost 6 percent compared with last year's, while attendance is down about 8 percent, Exhibitor Relations reported.

Since 2002, attendance is down about 10 percent for the comparable period, to about 433.7 admissions from about 485 million. The decline has provoked speculation that a rising DVD market and the advent of more elaborate home entertainment centers, along with the shrinking window of time between a theatrical release and the appearance of the DVD, is causing moviegoers to stay home and wait for discs.

"It does take more to get people out of the easy chair and to the theater; movies have to be so much more compelling," said the president of Exhibitor Relations, Paul Dergarabedian. "DVD's and home theater create more of an anchor to keep people at home. There's a little bit of that going on, and when there's more competition for eyeballs, it's a lot more of a challenge."

Still, some of Hollywood's most seasoned executives insist that this year's problem is a simpler one: The movies have not been good enough. Usually, they said, a sleeper hit comes along in late winter or early spring to wake up the box office, like last year's "Mean Girls" or "Starsky & Hutch" - or the crucifixion blockbuster "The Passion of the Christ."

"Nothing has turned on the audience yet," said Tom Sherak, a partner in Revolution Studios. "It's happened many times before, where the movies come out without great word of mouth. What's happening is the same people who usually come that first weekend have been coming, but they seem to go away quickly because the movies are not generating a broader audience."

Others blamed last weekend's raft of R-rated films, which cut out a major segment of the audience, for the continuing drop. Warner Brothers' "House of Wax," which also opened last weekend, was rated R.

"R-rated pictures aren't working in this marketplace like they used to," said John Fithian, president of the National Association of Theater Owners. "They still seem to work overseas, but they're not as easy to sell in the U.S. Parents are more concerned. We're enforcing the ratings really hard. Anytime you have an opening weekend with all the opening movies rated R, you don't have the same demographic potential as you do otherwise."

In the case of "Kingdom of Heaven," Fox labored to make a film about religious war that would offend neither Christians nor Muslims and trimmed some of Mr. Scott's more violent scenes, said a person who worked on the film and spoke on condition of anonymity to protect relations at the studio. But because the subject matter was religious war and not, as with "The Passion," resurrection, the studio could not count on a big Christian turnout, the person said. A spokesman for Fox said the film was actively marketed to Christians.

Mr. Sherak and others predicted a change once theaters carry a movie that people are excited to see. "The marketplace is obviously in a malaise, and it's going to take movies like 'Star Wars' to get us out of it," Mr. Dergarabedian said, referring to the highly anticipated final installment of the series "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith," which opens on May 19.

Mr. Fithian, whose member companies have the most to lose from the rise of home viewing, did not agree that the current drop reflected a fundamental shift.

"We are obviously not happy with the 11-week rut that we've been in, but we don't view it as a long-term structural problem," he said. The long-term trends are still positive, he added, referring to an increase in theatrical admissions in the past three decades. "The overall admission trend is that it's growing faster than the population," he continued. "I caution people not to jump to - 'DVD's are killing theaters.' If you look at the numbers, it's not happening," he said.

Mr. Sherak agreed, saying the movie business is cyclical. "I have 35 years of history to prove it," he said. "If attendance drops, it'll drop 2 to 3 percent over all. If it goes up, it goes up 2 to 3 percent. If at the end of the year attendance is off 9 percent, then you have a problem. But right now, it's about the movies."

Since 2002' date=' attendance is down about 10 percent for the comparable period, to about 433.7 admissions from about 485 million. The decline has provoked speculation that a rising DVD market and the advent of more elaborate home entertainment centers, along with the shrinking window of time between a theatrical release and the appearance of the DVD, is causing moviegoers to stay home and wait for discs.[/quote']

This is a valid point. At least in my little spot of the world and in my little circle of friends. We do wait now . and see the film in the leather-bound overstuffed comfort of a warm family room watching a good movie on a huge laser screen monitor with really awesome surround-sound (I'm describing a friend's house!). Complete with good beer/wine and noshes. These creature-comforts really do count, at least to us! And the fact that the DVD will include a lot of other interesting things --- a different cut, deleted scenes, behind the scenes, etc etc etc. When targeting an audience my age, they must realize that part of our age group = acquired patience. We will wait.

"It does take more to get people out of the easy chair and to the theater; movies have to be so much more compelling," . . .

I dunno. I think KOH was compelling. May not be a "great" movie by most standards, but it certainly was compelling.

Usually, they said, a sleeper hit comes along in late winter or early spring to wake up the box office, like last year's "Mean Girls" or "Starsky & Hutch" - or the crucifixion blockbuster "The Passion of the Christ."

"Passion" was a sleeper? It sure got an aweful lot of pre-release press down here (of course, this is the "Bible Belt") so I wouldn't define it a sleeper. "Starsky and Hutch" was a hit? Man, I sure missed that one!! I gotta get out more.

. . . along with reviews that declared Mr. Bloom's performance inadequate.

Well, bless their hearts. They can kiss our . . .