MovieImp

306 posts in this topic

Does anyone have up to date box office figures for Kingdom of Heaven, including both domestic and international sales?

According to Box Office Mojo, KOH has earned roughly $210 million combined (as of July 4, 2005). That breaks down to about $47 million domestic and $163 million international box office.

I know this is very silly but I can't help it. I was looking for information and was checking the IMDb's All-Time Worldwide Box Office, then I see Kingdom of Heaven is already there, at number 259 and many recent movies beat it, but anyway I'm glad KoH is there. :paperbag:

The Hollywood Reporter wraps up the international summer box office:

Fox ($1.36 billion) ruled the roost in the eight-month period ending Aug. 31, finding favor with "Sith" ($459 million), "Kingdom of Heaven" ($144 million), "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" ($157.4 million), "Fantastic Four" ($142 million) and "Robots" ($131.5 million).

Box Office Mojo has different numbers from The Hollywood Reporter putting it at $47.4M domestically and $163.1M internationally.

Bringing this over from the news thread to pose the question - why is KoH considered a failure when it's Box Office is on a par with these films (bar Sith) that were considered pretty successful? I don't recall anyone moaning about the box office for Mr & Mrs Smith, or Fantstic Four.

I mean, particularly if you take the Box Office Mojo figures - it made over $200M!

Or am I hopelessly naive here? Is it just that they were expecting much more?

:huh:

kathryn

Bringing this over from the news thread to pose the question - why is KoH considered a failure when it's Box Office is on a par with these films (bar Sith) that were considered pretty successful? I don't recall anyone moaning about the box office for Mr & Mrs Smith, or Fantstic Four.

I mean, particularly if you take the Box Office Mojo figures - it made over $200M!

Or am I hopelessly naive here? Is it just that they were expecting much more?

:huh:

kathryn

I find it really irritating, but it seems that the measure of "success" is how well it does in the US. How well a movie does internationally seems to be irrelevant when deciding if a movie is a hit or a flop. KoH did wonderfully well in most markets but it underperformed in the US, so it's branded with the "flop" label. :angry:

Jules

Orlando Bloom is a world-wide star and is very much appreciated in so many countries, more so than here in the U.S. He is a recognized name in England, Germany, Spain, India, Australia, Japan, Mexico -- and his movies do so well abroad.

Here in the U.S., most moviegoers don't recognize his name and have to be told that he played "Legolas", "Paris", "Will Turner" and "Balian". Yes, we have bunches of rabid fans here the U.S. who post on internet boards devoted to Orlando. But look at the scarcity of magazine coverage, TV coverage, etc., that he receives here, plus the hard time that U.S. movie critics seem to love to give him, rarely conceding that he can actually act.he's always "just a pretty face" to them. :cry:

But I think all that will change with Elizabethtown. I think that the majority of moviegoers will "discover" Orlando Bloom, and think how clever they are to find this handsome young actor with the strange name ! :wub: