Lianna

R Rating in the U.S.?

Guest Surpentinefire05

I would think that this has a R rating because of the nudity and violence.

But if it's an R in the US then it has to be an 18 over here, surely?

Mind you, if the content is strong violence rather than strongly sexual (which seems likely), I suppose it could get a 15.

I reckon it's a shoe-in for a 15. Black Hawk Down was pretty violent, and that was a 15, as was Gladiator. Both were R rated in the US.

LG

Actually I went to have a nosey round the website after I finished posting, and it seems like 18 ratings are quite rare these days!

I looked at their recently rated films and they really don't seem to have given many an 18 - most are a fifteen. So it seems like you have to be really very gory or have lots of strong sexual content for an 18.

I used to be quite up on the BBFC because of doing media studies at school - in fact I used to know the name of the president! Either I've forgotten most of what I learned or they've relaxed the rules since then. But, saying that, I stopped really paying attention when I turned 18, since I didn't need to worry about getting into a film any more!

I do seem to recall more stringent rules though - weren't there regulations about the number of swear words, and the length of violent scenes, and the number of them, at one time?

Kathryn.

I'm thrilled with the rating. Mr. Scott covered himself because, as so many others have said, it's a movie about the Crusades, war, religion, love.there's bound be speculation about its content and context. Besides, if the rating were to be PG13, you know critics and others would be breathing down Mr. Scott's neck ready to fire upon him. Remember Passion of the Christ (as if you don't), and how so many thought an R rating wasn't enough? The system is so sensitive now. An 18 year old can buy one R ticket, but can't purchase more than that. But a 21 year old can buy as many as they want. That rule, I just don't get.

I completely agree with the "maturity" factor, that's a major reason why I'm happy with the given rating. Though, I had no doubt Mr. Scott would tag it R. The previews just screamed R to me. Maybe it's just the class of the film, it simply is mature.

Can't wait!

NOTE: My curiosity has also gotten the best of me. What are the MPAA rules? There has to be a website out there somewhere.

I am also happy to here that it got the "R" rating because it does lend the movie a bit more credibility. Yes, there will be smaller box office reciepts but I would rather preserve the integrity of the movie and Sir Ridley's vision.

The MPAA.org is the website although here is the direct link to the ratings information.

I went to see Sahara last week, and they showed KOH trailer during the previews. I heard the lady next to me saying to her husband, "I want to see that!"

Suzie, I had a similar thing happen to me at "Fever Pitch" last weekend, but the husband even concurred.

I'm so glad that it is rated 'R'.

This means that it is an adult movie that is meant to be taken seriously by critics, and not just a star vehicle for Orlando (which is what those same critics would have claimed if it had been cut to get a PG-13).

Orlando will now be given more credit for being cast for his abilities and talent, not because the studio could capitalise on his teen fan base. Hear that fanboys.R!

As far as box office is concerned, yes it will suffer because of the rating. The amounts will be lower. But a film's success is rated on different scales. The critics know that an 'R' rated feature will take in less than a PG-13 film, so if KOH takes in 150 million in the US, it will be considered a bigger hit than a PG-13 movie that takes in 200 million.

We believe. :crusader:

But if it's an R in the US then it has to be an 18 over here, surely?

Mind you, if the content is strong violence rather than strongly sexual (which seems likely), I suppose it could get a 15.

I reckon it's a shoe-in for a 15. Black Hawk Down was pretty violent, and that was a 15, as was Gladiator. Both were R rated in the US.

LG

Actually I went to have a nosey round the website after I finished posting, and it seems like 18 ratings are quite rare these days!

I looked at their recently rated films and they really don't seem to have given many an 18 - most are a fifteen. So it seems like you have to be really very gory or have lots of strong sexual content for an 18.

I used to be quite up on the BBFC because of doing media studies at school - in fact I used to know the name of the president! Either I've forgotten most of what I learned or they've relaxed the rules since then. But, saying that, I stopped really paying attention when I turned 18, since I didn't need to worry about getting into a film any more!

I do seem to recall more stringent rules though - weren't there regulations about the number of swear words, and the length of violent scenes, and the number of them, at one time?

Kathryn.

I really don't like the rating system they have here in the UK. Its too soft.but this film will most definitely get a 15 rating that is for sure. :zip:

I'm also happy about the R rating, especially because of the fact that I turn 17 in a week! I had to go see Troy with my mom last year :paperbag:, and that is NOT something I want to do again.

I'm also happy about the R rating, especially because of the fact that I turn 17 in a week! I had to go see Troy with my mom last year :paperbag:, and that is NOT something I want to do again.

Your mom is just as thrilled as you are, I'm sure.

I'm a mom, and my daughter is only 15, so I'll be seeing KoH with her, the same way we had to do it for Troy. :paperbag: :paperbag: That's two paper bags to reflect the way both of us will feel.

So. What does this 'R rating' exactly mean? :paperbag: In Finland the ratings are a bit different, so I have no idea who can go to see a R rated film and who can not. Confused as ever. :huh:

Anni :balian:

So. What does this 'R rating' exactly mean? :paperbag: In Finland the ratings are a bit different, so I have no idea who can go to see a R rated film and who can not. Confused as ever. :huh:

Anni :balian:

R rating in the USA means restricted to those 17 and order or must be accompanied by an adult. In the case of AMC we interpret that to mean you must be accompanied by someone who is 21 or older if you are under 17 or have no id and look young.

It is rated R for strong violence and epic warfare.

Guest earthcrosser

"Epic warfare."

I like that. :crusader:

Not the violence part, just the epic part.

I have to wonder what the difference is between, say, LOTR, and this. That contained a massive amount of epic violence and death. It was a period piece, so to speak (as opposed to something more current in timing, with guns and stuff). Did it get the PG-13 rating because it was "fantasy?"

Thank's MovieImp! :hug: That's almost as it's in here.

Anni :crusader:

p.s. Love the

It is rated R for strong violence and epic warfare.
description!

"Epic warfare."

I like that. :crusader:

Not the violence part, just the epic part.

I have to wonder what the difference is between, say, LOTR, and this. That contained a massive amount of epic violence and death. It was a period piece, so to speak (as opposed to something more current in timing, with guns and stuff). Did it get the PG-13 rating because it was "fantasy?"

Apparently showing blood makes a difference. LOTR really didn't show a lot of blood spurting. Ridley tends to like to show the blood spurts, which atomatically gets you an R. You can also say the F word exactly once and get a PG-13. Say it twice and it's an automatic R. Gotta love the MPAA, they are an interesting bunch, never consistent usually, and very hung up on sex and nudity, but if it's animated it's ok. They also have some intereseting turns of phrase. epic warfare being one example of many.

You can also say the F word exactly once and get a PG-13.  Say it twice and it's an automatic R.

I've always noticed that it's the 3rd incident of The F Word that gets you the "R" rating. But I think it's depends on some kind of scorecard, how many boxes are ticked and how many times.

Gotta love the MPAA, they are an interesting bunch, never consistent usually, and very hung up on sex and nudity, but if it's animated it's ok.

Hey, what about Team America? Didn't they have to cut out the marionette sex? :lol:

I've always thought the MPAA rating system ironic: Show two people making love, "R". Show them killing someone - depending upon the language and the amount of blood - you can get a PG or PG-13. You gotta wonder if it will change when (if!) Valenti steps down.

As I was telling someone yesterday - most parents will let their kids go with them to see KOH, as it's all about the violence. I doubt there's one bad word in it, and I also doubt the love scene(s) is very explicit (or it would have been mentioned along with "epic violence"). So many parents have the same mind-set as the MPAA.

Now, let's work on "Epic Love Scenes". :naughty:

The "sex" in Team America had me on the floor laughing hard. MPAA has no sense of humor and wanted to give it an NC-17. Sin City is about as bad as I've seen it recentlyand it easily got an R due to the animated or black white visuals. I love to push the parental button when the kids try to get their parents to take them to Sin City. I just say the magic words of heavy sex and nudity and it gets them every time. I'll never understand that mentality of lets cut his head off with a chain saw and show it and it's ok but show two people making love to one another and it's horrifying. Amuses me no end.

Apparently showing blood makes a difference. LOTR really didn't show a lot of blood spurting.

I thought that the fact that most of the blood in LOTR was black Orc blood rather than red human blood helped PJ get his PG-13 rating.

Now, let's work on "Epic Love Scenes". :naughty:

I'm totally with you there, Jan. Keep the emphasis on love and if it's Epic Love, so much the better. :throb:

Krissy :)

Guest earthcrosser
Apparently showing blood makes a difference.  LOTR really didn't show a lot of blood spurting.

I thought that the fact that most of the blood in LOTR was black Orc blood rather than red human blood helped PJ get his PG-13 rating.

That's exactly what I was gonna say, Lianna. :wave: There was lots of blood, but it was black!

Yeah-some friends and I often talk about the double standards on sex vs. violence in the US today. Even I fall victim to it; I didn't want my 7 year old son to watch Spider Man because Kirsten Dunst was in a tight, wet dress in one scene, but yet I'd let him watch a movie like King Arthur or LOTR in a heart beat! :huh: It's so hard, because while I don't want my kids to grow up desensitized to either gratuitous sex OR violence, I find I can explain movie violence so much better than movie sex, because of their age, and because in the movies they watch, it's such an easy distinction, mostly, between good and evil. It's a conundrum for sure.