Lianna

43 posts in this topic

Mr. Lianna just yelled from the other room that he saw a KoH commercial on TV and that it indicated that the movie was rated R.

Do we have any confirmation on this from an official source?

Good Lord, my husband is watching the OC? :blink:

I'm spending far too much time on this board and far too little time monitoring my family's sanity. :lol:

:rant: That's it! That's it! I still haven't seen one gosh darn commercial. New rule in my house.the TV stays turned on 24 hours a day.

I saw it, too. The commercial that aired during The OC (US) tonight said that it was rated R. (Yes, I finally caught one, and is it wrong that I'm happy it has an R-rating?)

I'm happy too, Sum.

If it had gotten a PG-13 rating, the movie purists/fanboys would have said that Ridley sold out in order to attract Orlando's "natural audience" of young teen girls.

A PG-13-rated KoH would not have been taken as seriously as an R-rated KoH will be.

Of course, the rating will cost the movie something at the U.S. box office since the ticket sales to all the kiddies who buy tickets to something else and then sneak down the hall of the multiplex to see KoH will be counted toward the totals of the other movies. But I would rather see KoH lose a few bucks on the U.S. market than be criticized for not being a realistic war movie.

:rant: That's it! That's it! I still haven't seen one gosh darn commercial. New rule in my house.the TV stays turned on 24 hours a day.

Well I hope you were just watching CSI, because another one just aired. I swear I'm seeing it all over the TV and we have it on about 8 prints at the theater. I walk by the open doors and hear the music as the previews start up. I heard it about 5 times tonight. It's everywhere and I love it!

:rant: That's it!  That's it!  I still haven't seen one gosh darn commercial.  New rule in my house.the TV stays turned on 24 hours a day.

Well I hope you were just watching CSI, because another one just aired. I swear I'm seeing it all over the TV and we have it on about 8 prints at the theater. I walk by the open doors and hear the music as the previews start up. I heard it about 5 times tonight. It's everywhere and I love it!

God :censor: it! I'm clicking my fingers off trying to find it. Thanks, Julia, I've switched to CSI. I'm determined to see this commercial!! :lol:

I agree, Lianna. I think it will be taken more seriously by a non-Orlando-crazed audience for having an R-rating. It may hurt it in sales, but overall, I think it's for the best. It might even allow others who would have been deterred by squeeing fangirls to go and see it now that the number of said girls will be considerably lower. (Although, I'm not going to deny it, I'm sure I'll be fighting the urge to squee a few times myself.)

I am also satisfied with the R-rating. A movie about Crusades is bound to be brutal and violent, because the Crusades itself was so brutal and bloody. KOH getting a PG-13 rating would have made people think the movie was toned down a lot for Orlando's younger fans, but that can't be said now, with it getting a R-rating. People will know what in store for those who go to see this film.

Well I hope you were just watching CSI, because another one just aired.  I swear I'm seeing it all over the TV and we have it on about 8 prints at the theater.  I walk by the open doors and hear the music as the previews start up.  I heard it about 5 times tonight.  It's everywhere and I love it!

I saw it on CSI earlier too, but I thought it ran "film not yet rated" again. :huh:

I really liked this version of the commerical. Different from ones I had seen before and it set the film up nicely.

-- Suzanne

ETA - Zatarra just posted she saw it as unrated too (though not the same channel). Whew. Marbles still intact.

You're not the only one Chuck. My sister's seen it about 5 times, me. not once!! :angry:

Ray :leg:

:rant: That's it!  That's it!  I still haven't seen one gosh darn commercial.  New rule in my house.the TV stays turned on 24 hours a day.

You're not the only one Chuck. My sister's seen it about 5 times, me... not once!! :angry:

Rayray, my frustration has ended. I finally saw one tonight. :wub:

You're not the only one Chuck. My sister's seen it about 5 times, me. not once!! :angry:

Rayray, my frustration has ended. I finally saw one tonight. :wub:

Well la-de-da. :P Knowing my luck, I won't see one at all. :wink:

I saw a commercial for KoH last night but I don't remember what channel or what was on TV, sorry.

Hubby was the one watching and I was online so I wasn't really paying attention.until I heard "from director Ridley Scott" and a turned my head so fast I think I got whip lash. :lol: But what does hubby do, he changes the channel to which I told him to put it back and gave him this look. :angry: He does (with a roll of his eyes) and I was able to see the rest. :shiny: At the end, the announcer said it was rated R.

~*Cheryl*~

Guest earthcrosser
Well I hope you were just watching CSI, because another one just aired.  I swear I'm seeing it all over the TV and we have it on about 8 prints at the theater.  I walk by the open doors and hear the music as the previews start up.  I heard it about 5 times tonight.  It's everywhere and I love it!

I saw it on CSI earlier too, but I thought it ran "film not yet rated" again. :huh:

I really liked this version of the commerical. Different from ones I had seen before and it set the film up nicely.

-- Suzanne

ETA - Zatarra just posted she saw it as unrated too (though not the same channel). Whew. Marbles still intact.

me too, Suzanne.I was saying to myself "how can this film STILL not have a rating? It comes out in less that two weeks!

Anyone have any idea what's taking so long to get the rating? :huh:

It is rated R. The MPAA takes it time with things. Ridley wasn't going to change a frame so it was negotiation to get the R. It's strange what hangs up the MPAA.

I checked the British Board of Film Classification website, and KOH doesn't appear, so it's as yet unrated in the UK. To give you an idea of timescale, they classified The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, due out on April 22nd, on April 8th, which is two weeks before release. So, I reckon KOH will be classified some time near April 22nd in the UK. The website is quite interesting actually, it gives you advice about what level of violence, sex, etc. you should expect, and whether any cuts were made in classification.

I'll keep checking back.

LG

I caught it on Fox as well. Not all that surprised that it received an R rating. From everything I've seen there is a lot of mature subject matter in this film.

I checked the British Board of Film Classification website, and KOH doesn't appear, so it's as yet unrated in the UK. To give you an idea of timescale, they classified The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, due out on April 22nd, on April 8th, which is two weeks before release. So, I reckon KOH will be classified some time near April 22nd in the UK. The website is quite interesting actually, it gives you advice about what level of violence, sex, etc. you should expect, and whether any cuts were made in classification.

I'll keep checking back.

LG

Cool - I hadn't thought of looking at the BBFC site.

But if it's an R in the US then it has to be an 18 over here, surely?

Mind you, if the content is strong violence rather than strongly sexual (which seems likely), I suppose it could get a 15.

Kathryn.

Guest JayDK

Do you guys really thinks it's good that the movie is rated R? I guess I'm just concerned about the box office potential. This is Orlando's first big lead and I really want him to prove to Hollywood that he can carry a film. The R rating is most likely most appropriate, but I'm worried that the box office will suffer and so will Orlando, as a result.

But if it's an R in the US then it has to be an 18 over here, surely?

Mind you, if the content is strong violence rather than strongly sexual (which seems likely), I suppose it could get a 15.

I reckon it's a shoe-in for a 15. Black Hawk Down was pretty violent, and that was a 15, as was Gladiator. Both were R rated in the US.

LG

Do you guys really thinks it's good that the movie is rated R?  I guess I'm just concerned about the box office potential.  This is Orlando's first big lead and I really want him to prove to Hollywood that he can carry a film.  The R rating is most likely most appropriate, but I'm worried that the box office will suffer and so will Orlando, as a result.

Many R-rated films do very well at the box office. The Gladiator did VERY well at the box office, even going on to win Best Picture and Best Actor at the Oscars. And The Black Hawk Down was released first in NY and Los Angeles only, but did well at the box office when released nationwide. I am not worried about KOH's box office suffering because of its rating. It's the audience who makes the decision, whether the movie is worth spending money on. And from what I have read and heard so far, this film promises to be a wonderful film, that will draw a lot of audiences. I went to see Sahara last week, and they showed KOH trailer during the previews. I heard the lady next to me saying to her husband, "I want to see that!" So, grab a chair, and let Ridley's epic be shown. And yes, I believe! :)

:crusader:

I believe.

Guest earthcrosser

I agree with Suzie, to an extent. For many, an "R" rating signifies "maturity" in a way, if you get my drift. The bad thing is, though, that it does cut out most of the teen audience who would otherwise go see it.

MovieImp, I was interested by your comment about the MPAA. I don't know much about what they look for when it comes to distinguishing between a PG-13 and an R rating.I know language is one thing. Can you provide the guidelines they use? Thanks!