MovieImp

81 posts in this topic

I think Orlando enjoys doing commentaries, and is very witty and insightful when doing them. I am sure Orlando will be more than happy to do commentary for KOH. And of course, like all of you said, hearing him talk with that sweet voice is an extra bonus. :)

I know I was gutted that The Calcium Kid did not have any Orlando commentary. It was a small budget movie but we know Orlando is very proud of it and would have done commentary if asked. I guess not all directors believe in it for the DVD.

Does anyone know if there were commentaries on Sir Ridley's previous film DVD releases? Black Hawk Down? :oh:

ETA:

hearing him talk with that sweet voice is an extra bonus

Suzie, I would buy a copy of the DVD just to hear him cough all the way through it! :wub:

Man, I hate it when character/relationship elements get sacrificed to keep the movie to a length that the majority of the viewing audience can sit through. :rant: I mean, I don't even watch the theatrical versions of the LOTR DVD's anymore, because the extended editions are so much richer with character/relationship development.

Oh well. I guess not everyone has a somewhat bionic bladder, huh? :lmao:

Ha! Ha! I used to be known as T.B at school, tiny bladder! But I know what you mean, I think that they edited it so much becuase of all the complaints about the length of ALexander, but in all the reviews I have read the one thing they complain about is the lack of character development caused by the editing!

Guest Bog Iris

Yep, I could definitely use another hour of Orlando/Eva in this movie --their relationship didn't seem to add much to the film. Actually, a tender lovestory could counterbalance the blood and gore of the film very well. As it is, it's fighting and more fighting. KoH needs something to take our minds off so much suffering, and love could do it.

Guest rebbel

Hi. :wave:

I went to see Kingdom of Heaven with my cousin and another Dutch ka-bloomie last Saturday. Our first plan was to go to the movies at 3 o'clock and then eat something together :2thumbs: I already knew that would be fun and :drool:.

But it got even better: we were too early for dinner so we sat down and drank something. We were talking that the movie was great and all 3 of us said that we wanted to see the movie again some time. Then I said why not after dinner??

We went to get the tickets right away and after dinner we enjoyed Kingdom of Heaven for the second time and I absolutely don't regret that because the movie is just great. :cheer:

And I must say that I can't wait for the dvd!!! :yahoo:

EDITED by the PEFIC for spelling, capitalization and lack of punctuation.

Alright, I've seen the movie and want more. Bring on the DVD! :knight:

I'm blaming/thanking Peter Jackson for the fact that I was already thinking about the "deleted" scenes as I watched the movie - what they are and what might be included in the extended release.

After reading the Rolling Stone interview and starting to dip into the behind the scenes book, I cannot help but speculate what might be in the 80 minutes that was cut that can potentially be put back in this movie. Don't know if we'll get a theatrical release and then a director's cut/extended version, but I'm thinking about an extended version here.

In the RS interview, Orlando asks Neil Strauss if the movie starts with him in jail. (Now, why would that be?) Orlando also asks him about "the sword fight at the end". So, these two scenes were filmed.

In reading the KoH book, the village priest Balian kills at the beginning is referred to as Balian's brother! Wonder if that thread got filmed. There is also quite a bit more about Balian's backstory - son of a blacksmith on Godfrey's French estate.

In the scene where Godfrey tests/instructs Balian in sword fighting, the dialogue in the movie was different from that we heard in the trailers. "You fight well' [or something like that] vs. "You fight like a peasant". I bet there's more Godfrey/Balian sword work.

We know from many sources that there is an entire subplot concerning Sibylla and her son. Historically, he existed and was Baldwin V. At least some of this was filmed, as we have seen the boy in stills and trailers.

When Balian is first going to meet Baldwin IV, he briefly notices the model of Jerusalem with the little seige "equipment" in the entryway. Also, I will have to try and notice this the next time I see the movie, but someone has mentioned there is evidence Balian is thinking about seige towers, etc., at the start of the scene where he is attacked by Guy's knights. Anyone else notice that? Anyhow, I wonder if there is more about him studying seige warfare.

And we all know there is more film footage of the relationship between Balian and Sibylla that we'd like to see. :wub:

Any other thoughts as to what might be in an extended DVD release?

Guest drakius
In reading the KoH book, the village priest Balian kills at the beginning is referred to as Balian's brother! Wonder if that thread got filmed. There is also quite a bit more about Balian's backstory - son of a blacksmith on Godfrey's French estate.

In reference to the village priest being Balian's brother, in the KOH General Info thread is this post by laconejita quoting from icWales:

Just a quick little tidbit on Michael Sheen's role in Kingdom of Heaven:

Sheen will next be seen on the big screen in Kingdom of Heaven, Ridley "Gladiator" Scott's latest blockbuster about the 12th-Century Crusades.

"I play the hero Orlando Bloom's extremely wicked brother, a character with nothing redeemable about him at all," says Sheen. "It's a cameo role really, and I filmed all my work in the north of Spain, before the rest of the cast continued in Morocco."

I was rereading this thread recently and was taken aback by this quote. There is certainly no mention in the movie of the priest being Balian's brother. If indeed this makes it's way into the extended dvd, I hope we get more feeling from Balian other than his simple statement that he has committed murder. Pretty cold for someone who just killed his sibling.

In the RS interview, Orlando asks Neil Strauss if the movie starts with him in jail. (Now, why would that be?)

I'm not sure but I hope it explains why the priest says to Balian "The village doesn't want you." Because there didn't seem to be any reason for that.

Orlando also asks him about "the sword fight at the end". So, these two scenes were filmed.

Yeah, I wonder who it's with? My guess is Guy, because he's left alive at the end of the theatrical release.

Well that would explain how Godfrey knows exactly where to go to find Balian after being in Jerusalem for so many years! ALSO it would explain the end when Balian says "I am the blacksmith." I knew he was denying being Balian, but I didn't realize how simply saying he was the blacksmith would mean he wasn't also Balian. Well of course he's NOT the blacksmith, he'd be the master of the estate!

In the scene where Godfrey tests/instructs Balian in sword fighting, the dialogue in the movie was different from that we heard in the trailers. "You fight well' [or something like that] vs. "You fight like a peasant". I bet there's more Godfrey/Balian sword work.

I think Godfrey says "You fight well, but you hold your sword like a peasant."

We know from many sources that there is an entire subplot concerning Sibylla and her son. Historically, he existed and was Baldwin V. At least some of this was filmed, as we have seen the boy in stills and trailers.

Yeah, I wanna see the scene with the little toy horse!

When Balian is first going to meet Baldwin IV, he briefly notices the model of Jerusalem with the little seige "equipment" in the entryway. Also, I will have to try and notice this the next time I see the movie, but someone has mentioned there is evidence Balian is thinking about seige towers, etc., at the start of the scene where he is attacked by Guy's knights. Anyone else notice that? Anyhow, I wonder if there is more about him studying seige warfare.

I noticed it. As I recall he actually picked up a model siege tower, then puts it down as the king enters.

Any other thoughts as to what might be in an extended DVD release?

One thing that jumped out at me was when Balian rides to Godfrey's camp after the murder and says he wants to join him, at the very end of that scene Godfrey says "Show me your hand" and Balian holds it up. Then there is a cut to Balian sleeping. I think there must be a scene there where Balian's hand is taken care of, probably by the Hospitaller. Because when Godfrey wakes up Balian to sword fight, the Hospitaller says "His hand is wounded, my Lord."

Also, in the book (I've got it now too :shiny: ) there is a scene when Godfrey is being taken into his estate on a litter and he says (about Balian) "I don't want him fed in the kitchens." William Monahan talks about having to write the scene to explain Balian's costume change.

Dairwendan

In the RS interview, Orlando asks Neil Strauss if the movie starts with him in jail. (Now, why would that be?)

I'm not sure but I hope it explains why the priest says to Balian "The village doesn't want you." Because there didn't seem to be any reason for that.

THere is also the idea that at that time in history, as the relative/husband of a person who committed suicide, Balian would be tainted with the stain of that sin in the eyes of the rest of the people. (The whole, "sins of the father" thing). I know that during that time there were also still fears of witchcraft and the "evil eye." So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that the whole "the village does not want you" could stem from religious/cultural history for the times.

ZB :innocent:

This is pretty much all possible DVD spoilers, so here goes.

Click For Spoiler

I (personally) need this extended dvd NOW! :rant:

I just read an empire review WE HAVE TO WAIT A YEAR?!

Meanwhile, the thing Empire was most interested in knowing about Kingdom Of Heaven, was "when we are going to see more of it?" During our conversation with co-star Kevin McKidd, when we asked of the possibility of a greatly extended director's cut on DVD, he said "When I was out there, we shot for months… it was a long, long shoot, and I wouldn't be surprised." And not stopping there, we went straight to the source - Scott, who told us " I always see the DVD as like the novelisation of the movie. So the digital feast special that we'll maybe do in a year, will be quite a lot longer

*ahem*

Dear Sir Ridley Scott - I(or shall I saw, We Ka-Bloomies?) CAN't WAIT THAT LONG! :faint:

Please - OH PLEASE make this extended dvd available for Xmas 2005. I need a good xmas dognamit! This is good excuse if any!

*walks away very frustrated and must see KOH like a gazillion more times to feel better*

:blink: Nan

Guest Bog Iris

I think I posted this on another thread, but where did the pictures of Orlando on camelback go?

That was totally missing from the film, wasn't it? So maybe it will show up on the DVD. I REALLY wanted to enjoy him riding on a camel!

A year for the dvd? I wouldn't be surprised. Look how long it took to get a special edition for Black Hawk Down. :(:quiver::weep:

Why do they bother putting out the theatrical DVD? Don't they know we all want the extra scenes and will wait for the EE DVD?

Well, some of us will wait :devil: And some of us just can't wait that long !!! :rant:

Oh, I know why.they want to make more money !!! :paperbag:

It's definitely a money thing, my guess, anyway. I mean, please tell me I'm not the only one who has both the theatrical versions and the extended versions of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.I'm not the only one right? RIGHT? :)

What bothers me, though, is that if the extras are different from one version to the next. It seems like extended editions should have the same bonus features as the theatrical DVDs and then some, but noooo, that's not how it works. *pouts*

It's definitely a money thing, my guess, anyway. I mean, please tell me I'm not the only one who has both the theatrical versions and the extended versions of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.I'm not the only one right? RIGHT? :)

What bothers me, though, is that if the extras are different from one version to the next. It seems like extended editions should have the same bonus features as the theatrical DVDs and then some, but noooo, that's not how it works. *pouts*

Sum - you're certainly not the only one with both versions of the LOTR DVDs.

And I agree totally - the studios/distributors, etc. are all about extracting the $$$ from our wallets. Personally, I think I will wait for the extended DVD on this one. Well, I think I can wait that long. It may be different, though, when the discs are in the shops.

But most of the good stuff from the theatrical DVD and extras will be posted here online for you to drool over.and you can always rent from Blockbuster if you must see them before the EE edition comes out.

That's what I plan to do. (That's what I'm saying now, anyway :rolleyes: Check with me again when the DVD comes out.I probably won't be able to wait for the EE either :w00t: )

An entire year for the extended version?! How are we supposed to wait that long? Methinks I am going to go wacko waiting. :wacko: And I have both the theatrical and EE versions of all LOTR films. And I also have two versions of BHD. I complained about the first DVD version of BHD being mediocre in its special features, and about a year later, Ridley releases this three-disc version. I know, it's all about that MOOLA, but I keep falling for it. :blush:

A year for the extended love scene? I think that must set some sort of a record for foreplay. :oh:

I think that must set some sort of a record for foreplay. :oh:

:lmao:

I think that must set some sort of a record for foreplay.  :oh:

:lmao:

And initiated by a man. Oh, the wonders! :lol:

Candi

But at least we have our memories of the trailer :w00t: and the pics from that US article :wub: . I guess they will have to hold us til the EE DVD.

Life can be so cruel.. :devil:

Found this at IMDB boards:

by - BMKG 2 days ago (Fri Jun 3 2005 16:46:39) 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Empire magazine published the following in their most recent magazine:

"MORE KINGDOM TO COME

Kingdom Of Heaven to be blessed with regal 4 disc Director's Cut Special Edition..

Even though Kingdom Of Heaven ran to a weighty 2 hours and 24 minutes, Empire staggered out of Ridley Scott's latest hack-and-slash epic practically crying: "A director's cut! A director's cut! My kingdom for a director's cut!"

With key characters cut back to walk-on status, important themes left unexplored, and chunks of the story given short thrift, our reviewer was left asking if there were a longer, better film in Scott's material.

The answer it seems, is yes, as a Director's Cut will appear on a 4 disc Special Edition set for a likely in-time-for-Christmas release later this year, with a 2 disc theatrical cut dur around September. According to Remote Control's sources at Fox and Scott Free (Ridley's production house), the yardstick for these two Kingdom DVD releases will be the Lord Of The Rings movies. So, for the initial double-disc version, we can expect a bunch of featurettes and behind-the-scenes footage, with the heavenly features - several commentaries and the hallowed director's cut - held back for the 4 disc follow-up.

The extended cut is likely to expand the running time by "around an hour", Ridley Scott told Remote Control recently. Apparently Sir Rid initially turned in a whopping first cut of around the 5 hour mark, but the logistics of scoring more music, inserting more effects and dubbing more dialogue would have inflated the budget by a prohibitive $10 million or so.

Among the material Scott told us to expect are extended scenes set back in France featuring Michael Sheen's dodgy priest. Also, we can expect a sword fight between Orlando Bloom's Balian and Marton Csokas' Guy de Lusignan that Jeremy Irons described to us as "amazing". The word on set was that Fox is hoping for a global box office returns of about $500 million. And it's a sign of the home entertainment-obsessed times that the studio is looking to recoup the same - if not more - from DVD sales."

Woohoo! :towel: This sounds really good.

I know what I want for Christmas this year. :crusader: :balian:

Thanks, MI.