MovieImp

81 posts in this topic

From Dark Horizons:

Lots More "Kingdom" On DVD

Posted:  Friday April 8th, 2005 12:04am

Source:  Dark Horizons

Author:  Garth Franklin

The upcoming Ridley Scott Crusades epic "Kingdom of Heaven" clocks in at around 135 minutes, but be prepared for a multi-disc set some time next year which will add another full hour of footage.

The assorted actors and Scott himself confirmed today that the original cut of the film clocked in at a little over three hours (around 195 mins). Actress Eva Green revealed that the longer cut focuses more on the characters, and less on the crusades themselves.

Amongst the stuff edited out is more of the love story between Green and Bloom's character, and a subplot involving her son. Green says her Lady Macbeth style tragic character is more complex in the longer version - a journey of self discovery.

Why then did they bother with a shorter theatrical cut? Scott says "The DVD world is a different experience. A theatrical audience goes out to see the movie, and I think to a degree there's a tolerance.do you think operas tend to be a bit long? do you think theatre tends to be a bit long? You think 'oh my god' there's going to be another act.The extended version, you can tell why we had certain scenes in the extended version. The one that went out was the best version, no question about it in my opinion."

Guest Soulee

Oh, how fun. We get a theatrical cut and an extended cut, just like Lord of the Rings. A pattern seems to be developing with Orlando's movies. :oh:

Thanks for the article!

Man, I hate it when character/relationship elements get sacrificed to keep the movie to a length that the majority of the viewing audience can sit through. :rant: I mean, I don't even watch the theatrical versions of the LOTR DVD's anymore, because the extended editions are so much richer with character/relationship development.

Oh well. I guess not everyone has a somewhat bionic bladder, huh? :lmao:

ZB :innocent:

ETA Besides, it will give us something to look forward to after Elizabethtown is released and before POTC 2, right?

Edited by zoe_bear

"Amongst the stuff edited out is more of the love story between Green and Bloom's character."

As long as there IS a love story in the theatrical version. They better not be teasing us by showing Bare-Chested-Balian in the trailer, only to make us wait for the DVD to see him.

Maybe the DVD will be released in time for Christmas.

Thanks, MI. I certainly won't be complaining about getting an extended version. I'm already wanting the DVD and I haven't even seen the film yet! :rolleyes: I feel sure it'll be well worth the wait.

I really like extended versions. I get all excited for the theatrical then I see it a few times, enjoy it, but then there is something the same but still new to look forward to a little while later.

It's like getting all psyched up waiting for Christmas morning while still knowing that on Boxing Day you'll probably get more presents.

Thanks, MI. I certainly won't be complaining about getting an extended version. I'm already wanting the DVD and I haven't even seen the film yet! :rolleyes: I feel sure it'll be well worth the wait.

That's how I feel, too! We've gotten spoiled. Big screen is great--but you can't pause or repeat and repeat and repeat. :fear:

Guest Liriel
Oh well. I guess not everyone has a somewhat bionic bladder, huh? :lmao:

ZB you have a bionic bladder? :lol: Where can I get me one of those?

I love extended editions of movies. Maybe they took out some of the love story between Balian and Sybilla to get the rating they wanted? (hey, nothing wrong with dreaming is there?) :whistle:

I'll be really hoping for a Christmas release of the extended KOH! Thanks for the info MI!

Oh wow, a whole hour of additional footage! Whoever invented DVDs, thank you, thank you, thank you :shiny: . It's a sad fact that sometimes a lot of editing/clipping has to be done to theatrical versions so it's brilliant that DVD editions allow us to have the story in full. Like in the ROTK extended edition, the footage added to ROTK added quite a lot to the story overall, it was a shame that it had to be left out of the theatrical version. So goodie goodie gumdrops for the 'extended edition' of KOH!

Thank you, MovieImp!

I want to thank Peter Jackson for bravely forging ahead for the DVD world and doing theatrical and extended edition. Without Peter, we might not have an extra hour of Orlando. Orlando had bloody well do the commentary for it. Can you imagine three plus hours of him on a DVD commentary. Pick me up off the floor now. I know what I want for Christmas this year. :faint:

Can you imagine three plus hours of him on a DVD commentary. Pick me up off the floor now. I know what I want for Christmas this year. :faint:

:hellyeah: I don't see how Orlando could not do commentary for it -at least some of it - since he is the lead!

Then again, Viggo didn't do any commentary for the LOTR trilogy.mind you, I think that is because Viggo does not like doing commentaries, or at least that is what I read somewhere :huh: ?

Do you think Orlando will not be able to do the commentary because of his POTC II schedule :oh: ?

This is great news.the theatrical version will still be great, I am sure. But this extended cut in the DVD will be something to look forward to. Thanks MI! :hug:

There had better be plenty of behind-the-scenes stuff. And just imagine the bloopers! :rolleyes:

There had better be plenty of behind-the-scenes stuff. And just imagine the bloopers! :rolleyes:

:huh: Does Sir Ridley include bloopers in his DVD editions? I haven't heard of any bloopers for his previous films being on the DVDs.but maybe in this one, hopefully, there will be!

Man, I hate it when character/relationship elements get sacrificed to keep the movie to a length that the majority of the viewing audience can sit through. :rant:  I mean, I don't even watch the theatrical versions of the LOTR DVD's anymore, because the extended editions are so much richer with character/relationship development.

I'm with you on that one, especially since usually the character development is axed for more visual effects segments. I do love the extended versions too, though. Just when you think you've seen it all, there is a new tidbit to relish.

Of course, does this mean that we'll be getting a theatrical edition first and foremost and then the extended edition or is the extended edition the only one they will put out. In the interests of my wallet size, I only hope its the latter.

As for Orlando doing the commentary, I would hope that as the lead he would be inclined to do it, but I can see where his schedule might not allow for it.

But be prepared for a multi-disc set some time next year which will add another full hour of footage.

Oh Jesus! . :fear: Tell me they are not saying that I HAVE to go through other year of this anticipation.

As for Orlando doing the commentary, I would hope that as the lead he would be inclined to do it, but I can see where his schedule might not allow for it.

That's true but we still have the extended "love story", it could be a good retribution. :blush:

Thanks,

Stardust.

Wow, this is awesome news!! Thanks MovieImp! :hug:

Oh, I hope he does DVD commentary. Listening to his lovely, smooth, make-me-weak-in-the-knees voice for 3 hours would be just heavenly.*sigh* :wub::faint:

I think that the choice of a shorter theatrical version and a longer DVD version was probably wise.

Do you remember the early fan reviews of a rough cut test screening? The movie was considerably longer then, and the reviewers said that it dragged. Evidently, that problem has been corrected. But people don't mind a slower pace on a DVD, as Peter Jackson has proven to great profit. So that's the right place for the more drawn-out story (including, hopefully, a really, really drawn-out version of the love scene :blush: ).

Orlando had bloody well do the commentary for it. Can you imagine three plus hours of him on a DVD commentary.

:w00t::hellyeah: I suure can imagine that. Three plus hours of that honey-voice? :wub: I'm soo there.

*scouts for little black book with address of movie-friend*

Okay slap me for being stupid, but does this mean that there will be two types of DVD?

Pippa.

Am off to hide in corner now. :paperbag:

Hopefully Orlando had time to do the commentary.

Remember, he had several weeks off between the wrap up of Elizabethtown, and the start of POTC filming.

Here's hoping.

Amongst the stuff edited out is more of the love story between Green and Bloom's character, and a subplot involving her son. Green says her Lady Macbeth style tragic character is more complex in the longer version - a journey of self discovery.

Maybe this is what that AICN reviewer was complaining about. That he couldn't connect with Balian or Sybilla. Hopefully, the DVD will make what already seems to be a great movie even better, like those LOTR Extended Versions did. Can't wait! Come, May.

:crusader:

I believe!

There's going to be an extended version then ? :cheer: :cheer: I've been dreaming and hoping and wishing so for ages now ! An extra hour of Balian :faint: - talk about a nice prospect. 'Nice' being the understatement of the year here.

Thanks for posting this news MovieImp ! It's so wonderful to see KOH news/clips/photos/... emerge daily now. Makes those last days leading up to the release of the movie a little easier to bear.

Oh, and the thought of Orlando doing the commentary ? Three plus hours of listening to his voice. :stretcher:... let's hope he's had the time for it. I'm already having goosebumps, imagining myself sitting in the sofa, eyes glued to the screen, and that lovely, soothing voice in my ears.

Okay, I think a cold shower is due now.

Thanks for the information MI. Wow, haven't even seen the movie in the theater and I already can't wait for the extended edition DVD :lol: . But then again, you can never get enough Orlando can you :naughty: ?

This means longer waiting, but oh well, an hour more of Orlando goodness is well worth it. I think he'll do the commentary if he's asked. After all, he did it for LOTR and he's not even the main character in that. Besides, he is willing to do commentaries, unlike certain other actors coughViggocough. :)