Sign in to follow this  
Lianna

Short blurb on MSN

MSN has a long article called "The Force Is with This Spring's Movies," that previews most of the movies to be released in April and May, including KoH. It's at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7160202/page/3/

The KoH section says

“Kingdom of Heaven”

20th Century Fox

Starring: Orlando Bloom, Eva Green, Jeremy Irons, David Thewlis, Brendan Gleeson, Marton Csokas, Liam Neeson

Director: Ridley Scott

Story: Set during the Crusades of the 12th century, this film tells the story of Jerusaleum blacksmith Balian of Ibelin (Bloom), who finds himself swept into a war to protect his people from foreign invaders. Eva Green (“The Dreamers”) plays the exotic queen who captivates Bloom.

Buzz: Orlando Bloom faces the test that Colin Farrell and Brad Pitt didn’t pass. Can he carry a period film — or as Chris Rock joked in during the Oscars: is Russell Crowe really the only actor who can do period films? The good news is director Scott also directed “Gladiator,” which bodes well. Scott is a visual director, however, and character development has been known to get sacrificed for imagery and spectacle.

I wasn't aware that Brad Pitt had flunked. :huh: But I'm sure Orlando will get an A. :) I refuse to believe that Russell Crowe's presence is essential to the success of a period movie; if it were, we would probably see only one period movie per year! :(

Thanks for the article Lia. **mini-rant ahead**

It just goes to prove what enormous pressure Orlando will be under as the headliner for this movie. A pressure I am sure he is totally aware of. Simply because Troy and Alexander didn't break any box office records they are seen as flops.and this is seen as the sole responsibility of the starring actor.

I watched Gladiator many times, it is a favourite of my hubby's, and I do not see the movie as being "carried" solely by Mr. Crowe. He is well cast, yes. But to me what made that movie such a success is a combination of the great casting of Crowe, the inspired choice of Joaqin Pheonix, the direction and the setting. It also had a great script and imagery.

I guess what I mean is this particular movie could have flopped enormously if Mr. Pheonix' performance had been weak or the script had been pitiful (which is IMHO, why Troy wasn't a great success). Gladiator came together in a magical combination of all that can make a movie great. Neither Troy nor Alexander happened to have that great combination all at the same time, despite strong performances from the leading actors.

KOH could (gasp horror) flop. We all know it. But we are pretty darned sure that if it does it won't be because of a poor effort by Orlando. On his shoulders it will be, though. That is one heck of a responsibility. :(